• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Nepleslia] [Aggressor Refit] NAM "Wolfhound" Heavy Multipurpose Railgun HMR-01a

Firebrand

Inactive Member
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=faction:nepleslia:weapons:wolfhound_railgun
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Nepleslia
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
So the Kegbuster was an important part of the Nepleslian arsenal for armored units, but that doesn't exist anymore. So this is a replacement for it, using the virtual barrel technology from other new NAM railguns to actually lighten and shorten the barrel enough to fire a 105mm round.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is a difficult weapon. I'm looking at it and the big problem I see is that this weapon fires both vehicle and armor class rounds, normally it's easy to work this out, but these are rounds of the same type. "Heavy but manageable" is the kinda recoil a shotgun would have, and that's not really enough recoil for something firing outside it's tier group.

Technically, it's still within its tier group. The weapon is intended for the Aggressor, which is technically in the vehicle tier group.

So it's not intended for power armors like the hostile, or raider then? Maybe that should be made more clear somehow. Also, at tier 10, it might be leaving its tier group. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
The weapon's role says 'anti armor' that would put it in the Armor tier group. If it's not meant for that, but rather the aggressor and hitting things of it's size, it's 'anti-vehicle/mecha'. But either way still, it's going to need more recoil on armor class wielders using it. (the Aggressor is a power-armor, but is not an armor class user, it's mecha/vehicle, so do not base the armor recoil on what the aggressor is supposed to feel.)

Don't say 'super heavy power armor' because that would make people think the highest weight in power armor tier say 'vehicle scale armor suits' or something. Because that's what the Aggressor is. (You can say "Like the Aggressor" though)

Don't say 'super heavy power armor' because that would make people think the highest weight in power armor tier say 'vehicle scale armor suits' or something. Because that's what the Aggressor is. (You can say "Like the Aggressor" though)

Changed.

What do you mean by as a fixed armament on standard powersuits? Like, fixed to the arm? To the shoulder?

It has a tripod so that it can be put on the ground and used that way.

Alternatively, in theory, you could build a PA's armament entirely around the wolfhound. It would have to be one of the ONLY weapons on the PA and have numerous design choices to let the PA use it without getting knocked on its ass every time its used, but it is theoretically possible. I'm not going to harsh on the groove of future designers who want to do a weird thing.

Okay now that that is handled I'm reading over the page in detail
  • First thing, now that you've changed things in relation to usability an recoil, you have to modify the 3rd paragraph in the about section (Also as this weapon has plasma discharge and can hit T9(10 under special conditions), going to say that unarmored(personnel scale) infantry can not safely use this weapon)
  • You want to take out infantry(personnel) use, and also the Aggressor is 'mecha' so you can just label it as a traditionally mecha class weapon
  • This is a self contained weapon system, so when mounted on a vehicle, it's rate of fire wouldn't change. You would have to entirely deconstruct the weapon and replace parts, at which point it's not really the weapon anymore, so you can give it one universal rate of fire.
  • the entire mechanisms section is for something else called the battle hammer
  • normally I wouldn't mention this, but the description of it's appearance, needs some work. It's hard to picture the weapon, and there are contradictory statements in it. (It's mostly a box, but also mostly a barrel)
  • While it's okay for the vehicle version to be bigger, saying "It's bigger cause it doesn't have to be carried" is not really good. If they're increasing the size and weight there needs to be a reason.

I'd argue that the weapon can still be used safely by unarmored infantry using it as a crew served weapon, @Syaoran . The plasma discharge is located in the front of the weapon, the opposite side from any operators; Just because a weapon uses ionized gas doesn't make it unsafe for use when precautions are taken.

2) The Wolfhound is still usable by infantry, simply as a crew served weapon mounted on a tripod. Its akin to 105mm Recoilless Rifles or anti-tank missiles.

3) No, it does depend on the way the weapon is being loaded. A Wolfhound being fed rounds by a manual loader is going to be firing much slower than a Wolfhound feeding from an autoloader. Regardless, I can see that this won't be accepted with that reason, so I'll just have it set to a single rate of fire.

4) Whoops

5) Fixed that

6) The vehicle version is bigger, because the crew served/armorsuit version has been lightened specifically so that it can be carried by a team of three-four marines out of armor or an Aggressor.

First for number 3, cause that's the easiest. The autoloader is slower yes, but that doesn't change the actual firing rate of the mechanisms in the weapon, just the loading rate, and the changes to that would be part of the autoloader system having limited loading speed, not part of the weapon itself.

As for your reply to 6, I get that the crew version is lighter, but if you can make the weapon lighter with no performance drop, why use the heavier version?

Now as for the safety of the weapon. Plasma discharge is no joke, even coming out of the front of the weapon that would cause a drastic temperature change in the immediate area. But physics behind that aside. We're talking about mechanics of an infantry weapon (even if it is on a tripod) being able to fire T9 shells. That's literally a potential 8 tier increase in damage, and we can't really have that for mechanics purposes.

First for number 3, cause that's the easiest. The autoloader is slower yes, but that doesn't change the actual firing rate of the mechanisms in the weapon, just the loading rate, and the changes to that would be part of the autoloader system having limited loading speed, not part of the weapon itself.

As for your reply to 6, I get that the crew version is lighter, but if you can make the weapon lighter with no performance drop, why use the heavier version?

Now as for the safety of the weapon. Plasma discharge is no joke, even coming out of the front of the weapon that would cause a drastic temperature change in the immediate area. But physics behind that aside. We're talking about mechanics of an infantry weapon (even if it is on a tripod) being able to fire T9 shells. That's literally a potential 8 tier increase in damage, and we can't really have that for mechanics purposes.

But there's absolutely a precedent of weapons used by a team of infantry being able to damage vehicles, especially if they're fixed weapons that have to be stationary to be used.

I can pull up multiple real world examples. This isn't like an anti-material rifle or a big sniper rifle; this is akin to something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_recoilless_rifle .

Firebrand, please actually look at the calculations for the Tier system, you can do significant damage to vehicles/mecha at T6.

Firebrand, please actually look at the calculations for the Tier system, you can do significant damage to vehicles/mecha at T6.

I never actually wanted this weapon to be used by unarmored infantry in the first place. But I felt like I had to because Nep FMs are hard on giving unarmored infantry more of a prominent role in the battlespace. But hey if I can't, that's fine with me.

Okay, I'll look it over tomorrow, but still please familiarize yourself with the actual damage ranges of weapons as I know you're going to make more things and I don't want to have to keep explaining how much lower tier a weapon can be to actually do damage to something.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back