• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

New Character here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambda-11

Inactive Member
Hey, guys. I'm not new to Roleplaying, but I will admit to finding myself lost on your site. Its very sophisticated and developed, so theres a lot to sift through. How do I go through making my character? Do I need to get approved for a faction first, then go to List of Notable Characters and input myself, and THEN create my character wiki, or...? Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. :)

You don't need to get faction approval to make a character for that faction (in fact, you don't need any sort of approval at all for the Open RP Forum). It's just finding one you like and making a character for that faction, preferably but not necessarily for an RP (plot). The reason we ask people to edit the list of notable characters is so that when a new character's page is created, there's at least one page linking to it.

I'm Wes, Star Army's founder and creator, and I'm happy to answer your questions. Thanks for joining Star Army!

Oh okay! Well, hello. :) Thanks haha. I'm honestly quite impressed by all the stuff you have going here. Its just a little overwhelming is all. :D So, would you care to give me a recommendation as to what faction may be best? I'm looking through them, but I'm still unsure of which I should be looking at most...
I'm kind of thinking of doing the Yamatai, but I don't know if my character fits the bill. I'm planning on being an android intended for protection and battle-capabilities. I like the idea of being sort of...a military tactical device? Something that can get in and out for missions that require less fire power.

A Nekovalkyrja (pronounced nay-ko-wul-ku-ree) character sounds like it might fit the bill (although note that Nekovalkyrja are the flesh and blood type of android). Nekovalkyrja are made to serve in the Star Army of Yamatai, which is the big space military that the site is named after. Though an actual robot of the sapient type could join most factions too.

I thought those were cat-like thingies?

Uhm, my android is flesh encased in armor, essentially. If you were to strip it of its armor, it'd be a human form.

That sounds like a cyborg since it's part human, part machine. In the Nepleslian faction, cyborgs are quire common and can serve in the space marines. There is some crossover between the two factions, should, so your species choice isn't limiting you. You may want to take some time to explore the plots and see what looks like a fun one to join before you start on a character, that way you can base the character to fit the RP.

Or if your character is already made up, you can build a bio page for him (if you create a page in the character: namespace, the template will appear in the edit window) and then post in the OOC forum to find people interested in RPing with you or bringing you into an RP. You're also able to create your own RP threads (or forums eventually).

As it turns out... I think this is all a bit much for me. I appreciate your guys' help, but I'm afraid I'll be turning away from this. I'll definitely recommend it to some of my other friends. You should delete my account though, I'm really sorry.

Thanks for giving a us a look. Sorry it wasn't your thing.

Check out RPG Directory for tons of other forum-based roleplaying games. Maybe one of them will catch your interest!

Also, I'd love to hear your feedback. Is there anything I could add/change that would make you want to stay?

Its really not your guys' fault. I just got a little stressed and overwhelmed yesterday, I suppose. I got my friend to join the site, though. Hes HUGE on scifi, so this is kinda his thing.

I really just need some guidance, I suppose. I was on the character template and skipped over the faction and plot section cause I honestly had NO idea how to go about it. I was debating going through the faction you mentioned (started with an L) and doing a plot in that section, but then I didn't know how to get into contact and ask to join it... Honestly, I just gave up before putting forth more effort than I wanted. It was a little selfish, :(
I'd be happy to stay.

The biggest thing would probably be to jump into the IRC, then. You'll get very quick responses to questions in there, and if there's not someone who knows the answer, there's going to be someone who knows how to dig it out. I'm in there pretty much constantly, though if i don't answer, I'm probably asleep, not ignoring you.

Follow the link in my last post, that takes you to the guide, which gives you a couple options.

@Lambda-11 : Were you ever able to get on IRC and talk to some folks? Did you decide to start RPing with us? Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back