• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

New School Holiday?

Ametheliana

Head in the Stars
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Because there is a lot of interest about school systems and how much they exist in Yamatai I had an idea. There is an empty "notable event" in the september area of the year, what if we add in a school-oriented holiday and fill in some of the lore about school systems at the same time- one stone two target style?

I personally wonder how much schooling matters in the setting context, but it's a simple thot I had innit.

I think that's a cool idea. Maybe graduation season, with huge proms, performances, and pep rallies?

Sounds cute. Is there a good way to tie in the larger setting for something like this or would it be fine to have an RPable event that's for a select type of character (school kids) and those in their circles?

All I can think of is like a float parade that goes through a major town. I remember working on a rose bowl float as a high schooler as an official school activity once ^^

One thing I am wondering, since it isn't mentioned in our one description of a school in Yam, Tsubomi, I wonder how the Yam academic year goes? Japan is April-March as a year, with a longer break in the middle during the summer, but that is in the middle of a school term rather than dividing it (spring break divides them instead).

I wonder if it would be tied to the calendar year, like how it is in Japan tied to the traditional Chinese calendar years with new year's right before spring.

Simply cutting it into thirds with weeks of break between imo, since the Yamataian year has 9 months. This part of the culture could be worked in, but since it's such a sideline piece of lore I think making it easy to remember might be best? edit: also bc Wes said to have graduation in fall I'm thinking it's not going to be by any worldly standard lol

Wes' idea of graduations is p fun idea and a fun deal in Japan too and I think working in niche parts of that part of the year for students from the culture is solid. Let me fantasize I wore my pretty, new, ombre hakama to mine instead of a black cheap gown I saw for 5 minutes of my life ok,, I didn't even want to walk sdshgrrgrumble

Last edited:
I don't particularly want to write a graduation holiday and nobody else has; but I do want to write a spiritual holiday, though!

Obon, a holiday starting August 13th! that goes for three days to honor the deceased could work really well for our setting. Those ST revived in the past can even honor their own deaths. What do you guys think about choosing between the two holiday options?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back