• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

New Species

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Hey guys, I picked up two new artworks on DeviantArt that we could use as new species. They were both really reasonably priced.

The first is this Avian guy by EmptyCVCT, who I got for just $3.
avian_alien.png

The second is this locust alien, who I got for $20 from LammaiAeran.

locustoid alien.png

Here's a clothed version of her:

locustoid alien clothed.png

So, the idea is that we can use these to create some new species, and I was wondering if anyone was feeling inspired and wanted to take them on. They could be a new species your plot encounters or they could be a species from Kuvexian-land that is arriving with the wave of invaders that's starting to show up in YE 39.

Well, could you guys give me the "1 paragraph" version of the species you were thinking about developing? Basically something so I know what your basic concept for them is?

There's something fishy about that Locust... :p

I like the Locust aliens, they seem like they'd be chummy with the I'ee.

Concept for the Locusts (no name for them on my head): A group that are the sole species (beyond micro life and small critters) of a jungle world who lives near the coast, while consuming large swaths of the jungle around them. They act as a tribal society, with rafts to allow them to easily skirt the Pangaea world's west coast between various outposts. They head inland up one of the world's rivers near the middle of the year, where all of the species converges for celebrations. Their intended tech level is a pseudo Meso-Americans with splashes of advanced technology, specifically involving enhanced super-treated wood that can be pieced together with metal bands to essentially not break even under large forces of water (basically an incredibly light steel replacement). And, obviously, the fish handbags would be part of an aquatic culture such as using stuffed creatures from taxidermists to even act as basic accessories.

The TLDR is that they'll likely develop as a sub-race that'd end up joining any future northern-sector coalitions. Maybe even work with the Kudhacari once they come out to act as a sort of agricultural (in terms of their fishing and algae farming) powerhouse... and since they're from a single world, where only they exist (the west coast and east coast of the Pangaea/supercontinent), they'd be a fairly peaceful species in terms of not requiring more than a handful of soldiers.

I think it's not an actual fish, it's just a bag shaped and painted like one.

aimages.plurk.com_40fJ8dj1ZcPM75rVctWHp9.jpg

My concept for the bird-guys would be a laid-back pre-industrial culture of merchants and sailors who are open-minded and thoughtful enough to come to grips with the strange culture and tech that are being slung around them and see the profit in it, but aren't too thrilled about losing their neutrality to an interstellar war, not having had a major war on their homeworld in hundreds of years, and having developed the philosophy that trade deals make for greater nations than could ever result from conquest. They're likely to see most deals with outsiders as too good to be true, and are looking for an opportunity to set their own terms--which the plotship, with the poor state it's in, might give them.

My concept for the bird-guys would be a laid-back pre-industrial culture of merchants and sailors who are open-minded and thoughtful enough to come to grips with the strange culture and tech that are being slung around them and see the profit in it, but aren't too thrilled about losing their neutrality to an interstellar war, not having had a major war on their homeworld in hundreds of years, and having developed the philosophy that trade deals make for greater nations than could ever result from conquest. They're likely to see most deals with outsiders as too good to be true, and are looking for an opportunity to set their own terms--which the plotship, with the poor state it's in, might give them.
Which plotship, and where would they be located on the starmap?

The 'half-a-plotship' one I discussed in conversation, it's a vessel that gets critically damaged (cut in half) in the Kuvexian War and has a hard time getting safely home. They'd be found on the route from the front back to Yamataian space, possibly near the end if we want them to be in the Kikyo sector.

I think they should be antagonists in every sense of the word, as it seems we need those for the war. I'm just waking up so I can't really say much more. But, antagonists, definitely.

I think they should be antagonists in every sense of the word, as it seems we need those for the war. I'm just waking up so I can't really say much more. But, antagonists, definitely.
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee don't take these locusts from meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think the Tengu (because that's what crow-headed dudes are) would make pretty solid antagonists, though. They just look like jerks.

Well, one thing is both of the proposed uses for the artworks involve pre-FTL civilizations and that means they're pretty much able to appear in only one RP (at least at first) as opposed to being something that can any GM can use, simply be because they're not really mobile to other worlds.

Well, one thing is both of the proposed uses for the artworks involve pre-FTL civilizations and that means they're pretty much able to appear in only one RP (at least at first) as opposed to being something that can any GM can use, simply be because they're not really mobile to other worlds.
This is only how they'd start for mine. As I indicated, the goal is to make them spacefaring/FTL (how else would they work with the Kudhacari who are all the way in the corner of the map?), but have them start out small. I'd not keep them restricted to a purple ball like their homeworld would be =3=7 swear!

Even if their world is low-tech, they could appear as using someone else's tech, as a minor race on someone else's ships. Most likely the Kuvexians, since they need more of those. Yamatai has a lot of races with that status, already. I don't like the low probability of having space age civilizations everywhere... or the work that goes into giving them each their own unique ships and guns, so my hands are off that idea. As a race of traders, though, I'm sure plenty of them would jump at the chance to go make a profit a thousand light-years away... just, not necessarily to the point where the whole planet is going to be eager to sign a Faustian bargain.

I can't use them if they're pure antagonists, because the plot I intend to run couldn't afford to encounter them if they were, but I could still use them just fine if they had multiple worlds and at least one of them was still undecided about which side to take in the war, even if the rest of them were all about wearing armour and scoring bounties.

Last edited:
L'kor (crow heads): An oligarchical society of space faring entrepreneurs that have found the pocketbooks of the Kuvexians and are willing to do whatever it takes to get that skrill (money). They have their own weaponry as well as that of the Kuvexians, on occasion. They use PA designed for their unique bodies, which are semi-impervious to pain. They are slow to bleed, though their bones are hollow and cannot take heavy blows outside of PA. They want nothing more than to keep the conflict with Yamatai alive and well as war means money and money means power. They have their own ideations of usurping a regime or democracy and taking it for themselves, but know that that is a far away goal if they are going to continue to be fed by the shining gold Kuvexian spoon.

Just an idea. I kind of wanted to make my own, but just realized I would need art for them and don't really want to commission an artist for anything but a super cutie. This would be an easy out for me.

Okay, I've thought about this and here's my decision:
  • Legix can use the Locust dudes for his concept
    • I would like to have them spread out from that planet when possible
  • Ametheliana can use the bird dudes for her concept
  • An independent, non-antagonistic group of the bird dudes can also be in the path of Navian's plot
Sound okay? Also feel free to help each other and cross-pollinate ideas.

Okay, I've thought about this and here's my decision:
  • Legix can use the Locust dudes for his concept
    • I would like to have them spread out from that planet when possible
  • Ametheliana can use the bird dudes for her concept
  • An independent, non-antagonistic group of the bird dudes can also be in the path of Navian's plot
Sound okay?
No worries. The Dig-It arc will involve that colony intermingling with the natives. Said species will be working with the refugees afterward, more than likely, so them taking the system over and getting a small nick in the map is definitely a foreseeable goal.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back