• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

New Star Army Shuttle Design

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Since shuttles are everywhere in Star Army plots, they stood out as one of the areas where some upgrades would do a lot of good. In terms of art, all of Yamatai's designs are a few years old and also pretty basic. So I commissioned a new shuttle design with the specifications that it should look, visually, like it went along with the newer starships like the Sharie and Eikan. Here's the result:

aorig14.deviantart.net_83d6_f_2017_005_4_7_renderfin_by_adamkop_daucj1e.jpg

A wiki page for it isn't written as of this post, but it'll come soon (and if you want to help let me know). Art by Adam Kopala.

That certainly has an interesting shape.

I hope the wiki article will provide the orthographic angles of this craft.

I feel bad we haven't made stats for the thing yet!

Take multiple submissions on a deadline like a real military equipment bidding contest 🤔

That's a neat idea, would it end up with the ideas from both being fused, kind of like a lot of real life cases?

Are there any orthos of this shuttle, or was it just the one perspective render?

Because, if initiative would really be taken to have this get afloat, at the apparent level of quality it ought to be, I think it should:
  • Have a multiple view orthos
  • Update the render with the newer Hinomaru
  • Have the artist give us the craft's dimension (a comparison to a standing person would be nice).
One thing that's bugged me about this design is that its rear end doesn't seem to support the kind of rear hatch most shuttles have to cram cargo in or have people easily enter. That makes the design (along with the windows arrayed on its side) kind of beg for sidedoors, but the side geometry doesn't appear to accomodate the shape of a practical rectangular sidedoor. A triangular door would work, but it's hardly what a military would see as ergonomic.

I'm... picky when it comes to shuttle design, since SARP has so many already. While the shuttle does follow the rule of cool, I think the better way to have designed it would've been to design it here, and then have AdamKop polish its visuals (as happened with the Sharie and Eikan), that way we'd have a solid flagship design that has looks, to boot.

Of course, this is water under the bridge now - you've already paid for it - but I think a reason of why it's been left there is because nothing great can really be made of this great-looking artwork, compared to competing designs. Perhaps turn this into a more basic personnel shuttle and keep that in mind for future projects.

Adam Kopala has been really bad at responding to my requests and I pretty much stopped even trying to talk to him. For example I sent a commission request over a year ago for a 3D Fuji-class render for a YSS Eucharis II and we never got past the early shapes.

The art has the Type 38 Hinomaru so that is correct.

The dudes in the cockpit give a decent sense of scale, I think. They're just hard to see if it's not blown up large.

I'd still be hyped to write the stats for this thing, but I did not think through the visuals beyond the RoC.

Taking Fred's ideas in mind, maybe it's more of an attack transport? Larger than a fighter but smaller than the Tenba-class, has more capability (weapons, countermeasures, etc.), theoretically could haul an assault team while not being the first choice. (That choice being the old Fox-class, the later Kuma-class or a Geshrinari product).

I.e. the Apache to the Kuma's Blackhawk. (What's our Kiowa?)

That would give it a mission purpose more suited to its design. It doesn't justify its existence, which faces the question of, "What can you do that my SAoY fighter corps can't do?"

It almost looks like that winglet panel thingy on the side opens

My one time commissioning him there was a one year pause in between requesting the comm and hearing back, Wes. I had given up. I still have hope for the pending comm of yours :]

Otherwise, yeah, asking something for the shuttle of him now would not pan out imo

I think it makes a great shuttle for military RP, dunno how it could be seen as a personal shuttle when it's got jabby ends and such aggressive angles. It screams the type of ship to RP in rather than the shuttles we have now which have always been in my RP people movers. They do that job well, but having a shuttle that can move less people but includes two person short term living quarters or a dedicated area within the shuttle for something other than seats and cockpit in which RP can happen is what I see when I look at this guy. Like a runabout, although you only ever see the cockpit of a runabout- things still happen behind the transporter section of it and it's clear that's it's not a bus with warp. That's the feel I get from this. Would love to actually be able to use it one day...

The reason Fire res'd this thread is he wanted to work on a ship and this is the only one I can think of Yamatai needing. Maybe just let Firebrand take it on, guys, like he said he wanted to and like the thread was res'd for?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back