• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: NSS Inquiry [NSS Inquiry] Mission One Briefing: For the Imperium!

Ametheliana

Head in the Stars
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Gold Coast
NSS Inquiry
Bridge

"Sir," an officer said to the rear admiral and captain of the NSS Inquiry after entering the bridge and briefly saluted to the silver haired woman in her blue officer's uniform. "One of the squads of the platoon acting as security for the Inquiry are ready for introductions, Gally, Sir."

"Thank you, I would like to see Cadence first," Ally Gally said as the officer brought his datajockey into both of his hands, sliding his fingers across it a few times.

Cadence Newborn, the platoon leader of the 50 man security detail for the ship, came in to the bridge, saluting. Gally saluted back to her and nodded tersely.

"Captain," Cadence said, bringing her brows together as she did. "I mean, Gally."

Looking towards the other woman, the rear admiral said to Cadence, "Seeing another one of your squads, today, Second Lieutenant Newborn?"

Cadence nodded, hands behind her back and feet shoulder-width apart.

Cadence then replied, "This is the last. This is the frontline squad for strike operations that I will directly oversee."

"Then I want to meet them," Gally said as she broke eye contact with Cadence Newborn and strode towards the door.

"They're waiting outside," Cadence said, letting Gally lead the way.

When they had gotten out of the bridge and to the hallway, where the Marines were lined up, Gally brought her heels together as Cadence Newborn stood behind her.

"You are here today," Gally began sharply, "because you are a part of the greatest Democracy this galaxy has known and will ever know. You are here because you are part of the Imperium and the Imperium declares a need for answers! Answers will be wrought from the outer edges of space. Answers will be taken by us no matter the hands they lay in!"

"Only you have the ability to bring us these answers! Why is it you? I want to know, why you?"

"Private Carrick! I have read your personnel file and see where you have come from, but where you are going isn't written down anywhere. It isn't in some place I can read or take note of. It isn't anywhere but right here," Gally pointed to the floor of the ship. "On the Inquiry! Tell me, if you can, the things the future of this ship will tell me! Tell me why you are here!"

Not letting him answer, she moved down the line.

"Sergeant Linda Nelson. You're always buried up to your nose in data, reading and understanding it. Analyzing the situation around you and how what it tells you can benefit not you, but what you serve, comes easily to you. The green and blue and white of the flag by which you live is reflected in your actions, in every facet of your existence. You don't have to tell me why you serve in such a way. You need to tell me what it is that tells me you will be ready for heavy combat when the time calls for it."

Gally said zealously, "The rest of you, why you? I want answers and I want them now!"

Behind Gally, Cadence stood wide-eyed and looked to her Master Sergeant Varick Stein to see his reaction to the questioning of their squad.

After a moment, Cadence said loudly, "You heard your captain! Answer her!"

Gold Coast
NSS Inquiry
Bridge

Master Sergeant Varick Stein stood at attention as they were addressed by the Captain. He watched her and could sense the vibe Gally was going for. He smiled internally but remained stone cold on the outside. He noticed a look from Cadence, and his eyes drifted to hers very quickly, shooting her a look as if to say 'You are doing fine' and looked back to Gally. He stepped forward and responded to the Captain's question with The Creed.

"Because I am a Nepleslian Marine, part of a brotherhood of professional warriors dedicated to serving the Nepleslian people. Alone, I am deadly but together we are unstoppable. I am always physically fit, mentally sharp, and heavily armed. I am always prepared to serve the Imperium and sworn to the defense of its people, planets and cities. I will seek out and destroy its enemies, whomever they may be and wherever they may be found. In the highest traditions of the forefathers of Nepleslia, I am a fighter who never gives up no matter what. I am not afraid to die. I will earn respect for myself and the Marines through deeds that make Nepleslia proud. I will act with honor and bring glory to the Imperium. Nepleslia Forever!" He said, trying to feed Gally's zealousness, and inspire the others.

Gold Coast
NSS Inquiry
Outside of Bridge

Linda Nelson stood at attention when the captain stepped off the bridge to see them. The intelligence operative was not even six feet tall, but she exuded an aura rather contrary to her delicate appearance. She had perfect posture, and a stern look, she matched the expectations of the black and red uniform that she wore, trying harder than most in order to compensate for her librarian like appearance. When asked about whether or not she could handle heavy combat though, there was a hing of determination in her eyes. She was not offended, but this was something that needed to be put to rest quickly.

"If I may Captain. I may be in Intel, but I am still and IPG Operative. There is no such thing as heavy combat for an operative, merely there is doing what needs to be done. My station here is to ensure the safety of Imperium interest. Whether that includes using my hands, bullets, or blades, I will do what needs to be done."

Hallway Outside of the Bridge

Ally Gally's smile shone bright as a summer's day at Stein after he was done and she looked to Cadence Newborn, nodding. Gally stood with her hands behind her back and her silver hair faded to white down towards the tips. She was anything but at ease other than in her facial expression. Soon, her smile faded only so that she could ask a rhetorical question of the Second Lieutenant.

"He's a good pick, is he not?" Gally went on to say, "As for Linda Nelson, she knows what it takes to get the job done. Do the rest of you?"

Gold Coast
NSS Inquiry
Bridge

PFC Dornseif stood in the ranks, close the tail end of the squad. She did a very good job projecting the image of the ideal image of the rank-and-file-marine. Internally, she was waiting for the Captain to give them some sort of prompt. Then it came! Althea hesitated, even as the Lieutenant through in her own weight.... She didn't want to just go 'yes ma'am!' like some sort of brain dead machine.

There wasn't anything complex about her job, though, not really. She was supposed to smash the enemies of the Imperium through much more direct means. Perfectly suited to most of them, to her way of thinking.

"Yes ma'am," Althea spoke up, loud enough to be heard clean to the other end, but without excitement, "Kill if we gotta, and do what it takes to keep the Imperium safe, ma'am."

Hallway Outside of the Bridge

The rear admiral spoke, "Now, we don't know what we're going in to search for. This could be a hostile or friendly situation. We are not out to make enemies, here. Understood? We are going out on the NSS Inquiry to find the source of a signal our long-range sensors picked up. I want us to seek but not destroy unless absolutely necessary.

"Our vessel is an exploratory one, not a war ship. We have outfitted it with labs and science equipment, but knowing how to use them is not your job. Your job is to bring back whatever it is that's out there in deep, unknown space and help our scientists and researchers piece together the puzzle it will likely be a part of.

"It is no secret that Yamatai is at war with the alien race known as the Kuvexians. This is not our war. We are at war with no one and we need not find a war with these mysterious enemies of Yamatai. If we find that this signal is a Kuvexian threat, we turn around and don't look back. We will not fight their war for them!"

She drew in a breath and asked, "Is that understood?"

Several of the squad nodded and replied, "Understood!"

"Dismissed!" Ally Gally said emphatically as she saluted, then turned, silvery hair flowing behind her in an arc as she did. She put a hand on Cadence's shoulder and said, "We depart tonight. It will be several weeks before we make it to where we located the signal is coming from, but we are more than ready now and always will be for what comes."

"You couldn't be more right, Gally."

"And Cadence?"

"Yes, Gally?" Cadence asked.

"Thank you."

Cadence saluted and Gally returned it, then she went through the doors to the bridge.

"You heard her!" Cadence said to the squad. "Dismissed!"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back