• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: 188604 Observation with concern

R

Readlliea

Takes place after Doctor Troubles-

Osman city, it was a place that Amit hadn't been too but then again, he hadn't been many places despite the traveling he had to endure under the things that happened to him. Still, he sat there nervously with his collar on. The visit to the doctor had been more trouble than it was work yesterday. And now they knew, they knew what he turned into so easily due to being a child. What he didn't know was why he was heading to some other city on this planet. He felt like he was going to be dumped there and left there. Couldn't blame em though, he was a pretty bad thing. In his arms was Companion, the plushie rested there with it's normal smile on it's face. Unphased by all the trouble around em.

"Are we...there yet?" Amit asked the man who claimed to have adopted him into their family.

In truth, he was being sent here to try and understand him. Of course, there was someone in the city who was gonna deal with this. But how well could they handle it?

@Zack
@Jack Pine

"So....Amit, we're almost there. You're going to be spending time with a friend of my boss for a while, so you need to be on your best behavior. Hopefully we can help you with your abilities, I don't know the woman personally, but I work with her, and she is very intelligent. I'm sure she can figure something out, and I've already offered her help from Section 6 if she needs it, but I doubt she will." Jack said as he drove the jeep down the road leading from the base to the planets only and largest city, Osman, where he was supposed to take his adopted son Amit to see Vier.

"That didn't stop her from bad mouthing you." Neera said simply as she stood up on her canine legs from the back of the jeep where she had been hiding, "I mean yeah she's smart, but kinda condescending as well."

"Neera, why did you follow us? Your supposed to be at home with Isabelle." Jack said irritated.

"Well sorry, but one I was bored, and I still haven't got to meet newest little squeaker in the family yet. Hi, I'm Neera, the family wolf apparently now." Neera continued as she climbed up to the front to sit between Jack and Amit.

As the Jeep traveled down the road alongside the starport, they would see their destination start to appear on the horizon.

First, it looked like it was just a solid black line stretching upward.

Then then the base of the structure started to come into view.

It looked like a bunch of jet-black hexagons, some spread out from left to right, others stacked ontop of each other, sections copy-pasted onto one another to form a growing tower. Large drones were floating overhead, delivering material from the starport or moving new hexagonal pieces into place.

fetch.php

They would soon pass by a sign that said "WELCOME" and included a QR code.

MACHINE DISTRICT

Vier had been busy.

What used to be empty desert, was now a sprawling complex of interlocking black hexagonal rooms, each large enough to house several starship, some stacked only a handful of stories high, others towering above the entrance gate that the jeep had stopped at.

As the gate opened up, lights would turn on inside of the first open chamber... The lights just bright enough for the Jeep to see the path that led inside. As they entered, additional lights would turn on to illuminate their path, though it seemed not a watt was wasted lighting anything that didn't need to be. It was nearly impossible to see the walls... and soon the floor would give way as well, indicating that the complex continued on downwards just as far as it did upwards. Small mechanical drones would be flying by at high speed, delivering small objects to where they needed to go. The road twisting and moving upwards until it came to a small parking area, lights illuminating a structure that had been attached to one of the side walls.

As they approached, the exterior of this structure would turn transparent, allowing them to see through the doorway and into what looked to be a well furnished living room with a kitchen nearby, one large window on the other side allowing natural light in as well as a view of Osman city.

Vier herself seemed to be cooking something in the kitchen.

Vier also seemed to be going upstairs, and coming outside... all three bodies dressed in the same form fitting grey clothing, a tank top and similarly tight fitting running pants.

"Thank you for bringing Amit by Jack. I think it may be best we keep him here. The locals are already uncertain about us as it is..."

"A friend...or one of those poky stabby with needle people?" Amit questioned. "You make it sound like I'm gonna devour everyone like a horrific monster or something, Jackass."

Amit wasn't thrilled about this, not at all. A sigh left him as he sat there, fiddling with one of Companion's ears. Best behavior? He normally tried to be; despite his smart ass comments now an then. When the next voice came up though, he looked to the side to see the canine. Surprise was on his face as the talking wolf went on, some part of the child was thankful for the other company.

"I'm Amit." Amit replied. "This is Companion."

The ride was a little more tolerable and once in a while, Amit glanced out the windows. Taking in the sights of the strange city and the drones. Upon arriving at Vier's home. Amit watched the other 'viers' continue on with their task. This was the woman; or at least one em, that he had talked to when he got on that ship. She took him to a place where he could sleep too. Was she...no, she couldn't really be like those scientists could she? Just poking him with needles and all? Amit stood there, though took a few steps back to try and sneak away.

"Well you've already met Vier, and it's Mr. Jackass to you." Jack said as they continued into an area, not even he had been.

Jack had to keep his jaw from hitting the floor of the cab as he took in whatever it was he was seeing. As they pulled up to the structure and parked, was when Vier exited the building. He got out to greet her and see his son off, even though they had been together for more than two days, Jack was almost depressed to be leaving him with someone else for who knew how long.

"Oh hey, look it's the grumps daily cover model, nice to see you still rocking those depressing colors." Neera said as she leaned out the jeeps left side window, which got a raised eyebrow from Jack.

"Not sure how you two know each other. Vier look after my son okay, and please help him if you can. I need to get some things ready, and hunt down some data." Jack spoke making his tone as calm as he could, "Vier will take care of you for a while, if you need me, or your mother she can contact us." he added crouching while putting his hands on Amit's shoulders. He slowly stood back and looked like he was about to say more, but did not and got back in the jeep.

As Jack pulled away Neera put her head on his lap, "Jesus Jack, it's not like he's not coming home at some point, you smell sadder than me after I learned the meat on this planet was fake."

"You certainly seem to be collecting companions," Vier responded, "How about all of you join me for food before you head out?"

Vier would briefly give her attention to Neera, considering how to respond. She considered what Uso would say, perhaps a not so subtle reminder that she was fully capable of destroying Neera with relatively little effort. Such a response was well outside of her allowed move set... and likely would not go over well with the others.

She decided she should just offer food.

"That includes you too Neera. Do you have any special dietary restrictions I should consider?"

Inside, one of the other Vier's was finishing creating some sort of spaghetti, letting a red-sauce simmer while moving to arrange a stool along side the chairs setup in the dining room.

Amit gave a uncertain look to Jack as the man tried to give comfort, he was just...he didn't want to stay here. He didn't want to get used again! Still he couldn't really argue. It was all out of his hands. Though the offer of food might keep Jack and Neera around, he wasn't too sure of it.

"Please....." Amit muttered.

He had wanted to request they stay longer but he couldn't get the words out. So honestly, he had to wait an see if Jack was going to. He merely held onto Companion, standing there nervously. The faint beeping of his collar going off and the red light flickering. The boy was rather emotional, in the negative sense right now. Anxiety went through him and gripped his chest as he just stood there, green eyes looking up at the jeep that Jack had clambered back into.

"I guess we can, I'll have to let Isabelle know I'll be late tonight." Jack said halting his progress on turning the vehicle around before re-parking.

"I was actually expecting a witty comeback, and why are you getting emotional sergeant serious, see you get kids and everyone gets all teary. I can't say I don't love the munchkin, but you don't see getting weepy about every little thing." Neera said jumping out of the window before sitting next to Amit and nuzzeling his cheek.

"Ok, she knows. Neera you try having kids, and will see who's emotional then. Besides, growing up without a family does stuff to you, emotionally and behaviorly. I had to do everything but beat Sarah back to keep her from coming along." Jack said stepping out of the jeep.

It suddenly clicked for Vier, that she would need to make companion feel welcome as well. It didn't quite make sense to her why she had to go through the doll in order to make Amit feel more comfortable, but the association was certainly there.

As they spoke, a drone would hover up from one of the manufacturing areas, holding a small stool with a tiny chair ontop. The delivery would be placed right infront of the Vier preparing dinner, who would move the chair towards the table.

This could be separation anxiety. A test would need to be established to determine that.

After all, Vier wasn't built for this kind of thing.

"You will be able to visit Neera and Jack whenever you like Amit," Vier offered, "You are free to come and go as you please, but I like to think you will start thinking of this place as home."

Neera was here as well. The usual approaches didn't seem to be working that great with people. Of course there were a variety of other options that Vier could use... she considered what Uso would have done.

Snark.

Uso would employ snark.

"... Even Neera is welcome here."

When the vehicle moved and reparked, Amit only found a small relief in the fact that Jack had come out. It could be separation anxiety, after all Amit hadn't felt close to anyone. He ran from home and got experimented on, Jack was one of the first people to show him kindness still. Despite what those people did to him, Jack welcomed him into the family and in all honesty, the house did have a nice feel to it back there. The Pine family house you could call it, had a nice pleasant feel to it in terms of atmosphere. At least, Amit could feel a little ease there. The child just wanted things to be normal, to be able to exist with others without ruining it.

Getting the nuzzle to his cheek, the boy tried to give a smile to em and slowly reached to pet Neera on the head. Though he paused, not sure if the wolf would like such a action; as she was a wolf. Not a dog. Amit did follow the adults into the house, he glanced at the table as he stood there. The beeping of his collar was still going off in it's faint tone. The red light blinking as the child still felt uncomfortable, nervous, and even anxious still.

"No real point calling it a home, when you keep getting tossed from place to place like a heap of rags...." Amit retorted to Vier's comment, glancing away from her.

Still, he let his green eyes glance around the place. Taking note of the package and the stool with a small chair on it. The child made no move to go sit at the table, kind of hesitant with doing that. With how this place seemed to 'function', the child had the silly idea of the chairs strapping him in as soon as he sat down and he wouldn't be able to get out of it. Too many negative thoughts and Amit shook his head, trying to push em away.

"You make it sound like you plan to keep him for good Vier. Amit's home is with his family. With Izzy, Neera, his two siblings on the way, and....me." Jack said now feeling awkward with the words he had never thought he would say.

"I plan to keep you as well, unless you plan on leaving." Vier responded, "The same deal will be extended to Amit. If he chooses to leave we can provide him with a ship or transport. However I think it would be best if he stayed here for the time being."

Best for who may be debatable. Vier did have an interest in testing her people skills on Amit, however she wouldn't phrase it in such a clinical way.

Vier would turn her attention directly to Amit.

"Perhaps you would like to have something of your own? A room that you could keep the way you like? I can have nearly anything produced and provided..."

Keep them? So what was he now? Property? Scratch that, he was already that once. Amit fiddled with Companion as he stood there, turning his green gaze to the peach cat plush. Feeling the soft fur that smoothed out if he petted the fur in the correct direction.

"And do what? Be used and poked with needles?" Amit asked as he glanced up.

The offer of a room was interesting, it helped push the child's mind to this not being as bad as he was fearful of it being. Of course, he raised a brow with his uncertainty.

"Wouldn't that take up space in your place? And if I'm staying here, wouldn't I already have a room to sleep in?" Amit asked, his voice showing some confusion on this matter.

"I was thinking you could practice your math skills and learn history." Vier offered, realizing her poor phrasing had been caught by Amit, and quickly coming up with a resolution. "... I have plenty of space here, and I have set aside some of that for you to sleep in, however it will not be your room until you have had a chance to make it your own."

"You make it sound like you want both of us to live here, what are you thinking Vier?" Jack asked as the prospect of being away from his son was growing ever more daunting.

Neera whined quietly as Amit did not pet her in return, but kept by him as they walked all the same. "Geez kid I'm not gonna bite, I only bite the kids I don't like,...most of the time. And Jack you have a pregnant wife at home, living here isn't currently an option for you. If it's alright with Vier, and we don't end up trying to kill each other, then I'll watch over him." she said ignoring Viers earlier jab.

"i wasn't sure if you'd like it..." Amit replied. "Sorry, you said you were a wolf so...I wasn't sure if you'd be okay with being petted like dogs are.."

Math and history...it had been a while since he had been in school, learning things. Education wasn't a focus when you were being experimented on. A small sound left him, as if kind of saying 'oh' as in seeing his mistake. Though he looked away from Vier and back at Neera, raising a hand and attempting to pet the wolf on her head.

"Consider it an opportunity to work closer together, and for me to develop my people-skills." Vier said, "The human-areas of this place can always be expanded. Perhaps once we have had more time we could develop a nicer residential area in the city itself.

I am here to look after you people, but I'm not a robot."

"Yeah actual houses would be nice at some point, as well as an actual school system. Expanding the education of the people is the way of expanding the empire a man once said. As for your people skills, you definitely have the patience of a chess master if you can avoid the irritation of Uso's usual antics, our recent talk included. Though I will admit your personality could use some work, maybe some humor, and a smile would go a long way." Jack said as he began stroking his goatee idly as he thought.

"Oh that reminds me, I've been trying to hunt down some genetic suppressants. I've been wanting to maybe go to what is supposed to be my natural hair and eye color, but have had little luck hunting any down. I don't suppose you know, or could at the point me in the right direction." Jack said now rubbing the back of his head.

Neera moved her head under Amit's hand, "Well I know I'm not a dog per say, but no love kinda just makes things sad and depressing. Besides, you look like you need a friend."

He had Companion but...his friend had limitations, he was all in his head mainly. Kind of a imaginary friend that just had the association with a stuffed animal toy.

"Never really had any besides Companion....." Amit admitted in a low voice, giving a few more gentle scratches to Neera.

Education and houses, some things he honestly didn't think he'd kind of want to see again after running away from home. But with all he'd been through, it was honestly something he kind of wanted to revisit. To feel somewhat normal despite what he had been turned into. The two adults seemed to be talking about personality of sorts, were they referring to his? No. Amit was certain he was right in guess that part as he looked at both adults when they were done speaking their words. He did recall the woman being a bit stiff when he meet her, she wasn't mean or rude. Nothing like that, and she had been very helpful. There just felt like...a little bit of detachment, even more so when he saw another one just like her appear and in here? There was a great deal more of em.

"You need something to stand out amongst all the....other 'yous'." Amit commented.

There was a brief frown from Vier,

very brief,

Like there was something wrong with her food, or her dog just stepped on her foot.

There was something to it of course. She felt that she didn't quite fit in with the others, and how they gravitated towards Uso's snark. It was a skill to learn... perhaps... but her dedication to detail and task completion seemed more important. Despite not being a machine, she sure took pride in acting like one.

"Maybe this was not such a great idea," She offered up, "If you would prefer to stay together in the city we could start with building facilities there rather than here. As for medical equipment, if you provide me a list of what you need we can develop the facilities needed to produce it here. Is there a reason you do not want to die your hair?

They won't take you any more seriously as a pretty brunette. Statistically blondes aren't any more fun."

Snark Deployed.

Assessment of success would begin shortly.

"Would it help if I had the others leave?" Vier asked, turning her attention towards Amit for the moment, "I can see how it may be offputting..."

"BUT THE OTHERS ARE JUST AS ME AS I AM!" Another one of the Vier's called out from the kitchen.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back