• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

[OCG] M279B2 General Purpose Powered Armor

Vesper

Inactive Member
LSDF/OSF M279B2
General-Purpose Power Armor

History and Background:
The second model in the M279 series the B2 revision was done as a stop-gap measure to upgrade the B1 revision so it would be at least mildly competent in the newly discovered modern battlefield before the M279C and M303 enter production sometime in 104PR. Since it was a rush modification, it only differs from the B1 in a few areas, primarily in its heavier, more military oriented weaponry and in the area of shielding to protect it from the prevalent scalar weaponry.

About the M279B2:

The armor is entered by a clamshell mechanism that hinges part of the back out to allow the user to enter the chest. The joint has incredibly strong locking mechanisms and is molecularly sealed to remove any handholds that might allow a opponent to force it open in combat. The helmet must be removed prior to entry and is locked to the suit during use by a intricate network of myomer bundles and high-strength cable armatures (which also prevent the heading from turning to a dangerous degree) and is molecularly sealed to the armor body. The user’s legs are in the upper portion of the armor legs with the feet ending slightly above the lower leg joint. The user’s arms similarly are in the armor arms stopping about halfway between the elbow and wrist. The suit has a interface port on the back of the pilot compartment that interfaces with the M37/M38 suit that is the standard pilot uniform and allows the armors recycling systems to work with the suits, greatly increasing user endurance. The inside of the suit is coated with a layer of rubber shock absorbing material.

Power is supplied to the suit by 5 CTA nodes, one in each thigh, one in the lower back and two near the shoulders. Due to the extremely high efficiency of M279’s systems it does not require any sort of dedicated radiation system, though it does have a small unit pointed downwards on at the base of back for use in planetary operations. In vacuum the armor can vent all of its waste heat passively through surface its surface.

The 4 fins on the back contain the armor reactionless thrust system, with the thrust of each one (and angle of thrust to a degree) controlled by the armors computer to achieve controlled flight. The nodes do not have the thrust (by a combination of complications) to achieve anything near the speed seen in most modern armors, though this is to be rectified to a degree on the upcoming C model. The drives can also be coordinated to provide for long, leaping bounds that allow the armor to achieve very high ground speeds.

The right forearm contains the CHANAG unit, fired through a small lower-density patch of armor (reinforced behind the weapon) that allows the neutron beam to exit with extremely little interference. The left forearm contains the LEAC weapon, which is also fired through a patch of specially designed, selective transparency armor that allows the ionizing laser to fire through it. The armor surface itself acts as the electrode. The back has a hardpoint to support a backpack unit and the outer side of each lower leg contains a hardpoint for optional mountings. No items can be mounted on the shoulders since they would interfere with the VFHAL system.

Statistical Information:

Government: OSF, Lor Matriarchy
Organization: OSF, LNSDF, LASDF
Type: General Purpose Medium Power Armor
Class: M279
Designer:
Cabinet of Science & Technology
Cabinet of Industry
Manufacturer: Cabinet of Industry
Date of Initial Requisition: 97 PR (M279B1), 103PR (M279B2)

Crew: 1 Pilot
Maximum Capacity: 1
Appearance: A rather hulking armor, the M279 stands over 3 meters high. The leg assembly is a recurve/hybrid design (i.e. it has two joints between hip and ankle, 1 bending backwards, the other forwards; think of the Protoss) with a 4 toed, highly articulated feet. 3 toes point forward with the forth pointed rearward. Each toes has a 10 cm retractable monomolecular blade at the tip and the underside is covered by molecular adhesion pads allow them to grip nearly any surface.

The hands have 4 fingers in a standard configuration (1 opposing the others) with each finger possessing 4 highly flexible joints and a 4cm retractable monomolecular blade at each tip. The inside of the hand is covered in molecular adhesion pads much like the feet, vastly increasing grip on carried weaponry and during climbing. The arms are slightly longer than standard proportions and the armor plating extends a short distance on either side of the elbow to increase protection. Each forearm also has a set of 2 65 cm monomolecular retractable blades towards the wrist. The armor has abnormally large shoulders, extending out over the arm to increase the surface area of the VFHAL system. The head does not have any viewport but has several sensor nodes on either side and 2 pairs of “eyesâ€

Added the spray system (it was in the original GURPS work-up but I forgot to add it in the write-up). I have attempted to make the format less "text hammer" like, but there is only so much that can be done with a 8,800 word text.

Added notes on lifting capabilities, based on GURPS Strength of 60.

Also, doesn't anyone have some commentary one this? I realize it is very long, but please, I would like some comments, advice, and/or suggestions.

It can't be approved until CTA is approved.

I sent you a message for the black box folk that should clear up the problem I heard about it. Realize though that this armor only uses the generic CTA systems, not the advanced ECTA ones that are being the problem.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back