• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

[OIF Karakoram- Pre Episode one] Mo' than you can handle

Kai

Retired Staff
RP Date
YE 40
RP Location
Some abandoned mining outpost in the middle of nowhere
Roars of excitement mixed with a few boo's of disappointment sounded out from the ring of people around an empty ore sorting pit, well it wasn't exactly empty - servos screamed and the metal fist from some bulky Nepleslian suit crashed into the helmet of the smaller Impulse, sending a crack through the smaller suit's helmet. Flecks of blue and orange paint as whoever was in the smaller suit went with the powerful blow, transitioning into a tight yet exhausted roll as some distance was put between the two combatants.

Another roar of applause sounded from the crowd of less than desirable people as the grey Nep suit raised their hands triumphantly, the fight had been rather close thus far but only because the Impulse refused to stay down - pushing up off the ground with one lightly bloodied arm as more paint flaked away from the smaller suit, it had seen better days and so had the pilot.

The bulkier suit brought it's arms down from the air and put them in front, ready to fight again as a heavily mechanized voice called out from under it's tanky helmet, "Ready to give up yet, bitch"

The smaller Armour didn't like that, not one bit at all - they tried calling out in response but the same strike that broke a lot of the welds in their visor's reinforcements also busted their mic. No instead they chose a different form of communication that didn't even need to be heard over the crowd, putting both hands near their crotch plate and ramming their hips into the gauntlets a few times before pointing at the bigger suit.

Now the grey suit was pissed off, it charged forwards with a surprising bit of speed for the Armour's size - the Impulse just stood there though and they would continued to do so as they distance between them closed. Blink and you would have missed it, the Impulse ducked under one hulking arm and rammed their hand into the back of the elbow joint, repeatedly slamming their bloodied yet free hand's spiked knuckles into the weak spot they had realized needed to hitch itself backwards with each strike.

A few short moments and the Nep suit yet out a scream of pain as their left arm was torn off along with the suit's, the Impulse gripped tight onto the arm and swung it back around to connect with the grey helmet with a mighty clang.

The grey suit stopped screaming, standing unsteadily on it's feet for a few seconds before it fell forwards and blood began pooling underneath it's mass - the crowd went silent before the roar of excitement picked back up, the Impulse threw the arm aside and raised their hands in victory.

A few minutes later

The splotchy, blue and orange, very beaten up, Impulse suit walked back stage after collecting their winnings - moving towards a table to remove their cracked helmet and put it down, letting Mo's raven hair mostly flow free besides the few bits of blood that had begun congealing in it. She looked down at her fist and hissed as she flexed the busted up hand, moving to pick up a nearby syringe before she injected it's numbing contents in-between two of her knuckles.

A man, rather tall, obviously Nepleslian, and dark of skin, eyes, and hair, approached Monica, grinning in front of a head full of cornrows. "Hey, That was some good fighting out there. Not too many can beat up an enemy that much larger in what amounts to a base model Impulse." The man seemed quite interested, but wasn't giving off the usual air of the scumbags that frequented the place. For one, he was too clean- and not that fake practiced clean like most outlaws and pirates tried to pass off as legitimacy. He wore a simple suit, dark blue with silver pinstripes, and a matching fedora, and seemed to exude the confidence of someone who's in charge of something important.

"You ever think about going legit?" he asked.

"Not everyone has the ability to buy fancy shit so some of us just make do with what we can get," Monica shot back as she pulled the syringe out and discarded it, that should keep her going until the blasted hand was better - she turned around to face the fancy-looking man, one eye was swollen shut and her face was more than a bit bloody but she continued speaking nonetheless.

"The fuck do you want? just spit it out," she growled at the man, spitting out a tooth of her own almost to emphasize the point, whatever it'd be back tomorrow anyway.

"I'd heard a rumor," the man began, dancing around the woman's question for a moment, "That there was a woman here with some pretty great skills, a scrapper, always handy in a fight and ready to do what was needed to win." The man's grin lessened, and he looked her up and down, all the injuries, and all the evidence of battle.

"I've seen better, but not often. You're probably the person I'd heard about."

"Well tall dark and mysterious, I'd like to think you're just chatting me up but it seems otherwise - you get any kind of name with this rumor of yours?" she said with a cocky grin that turned into a wince of pain as Monica eased herself back into her Armour's rack, it began disassembling the Impulse to let her stumble out in a black bodysuit that seemed mostly un-damaged.

"I'd heard of 'Mighty Mo' along with this rumor, and not too much else, though, your suit matches the description to a T." the tall man's sly grin returned, and he turned to face the wall, his right side to her, and adjusted the cuff on his suit a bit. "reminds me of the good ol' days, seeing you guys fight out there. Of course, I've got a responsibility now." He paused, and turned to the woman, "Ya dig?"

"Mighty Mo sounds about right but before you ask I am indeed a lass," the Minkan replied, reveling in the name for a moment as she took the cracked helmet and sat it atop her Armour's neck - the rack wrapped a small vice around the damaged skull-bucket as Monica slowly turned around again to speak with the stranger.

"I might dig depending on what you're offering, but if it's a spot in Nath tower like the last guy in a suit was offering then you can go fuck yourself too," she punctuated the words with a crack of her knuckles despite how worn out Monica must be at this point.

"Well, I'm not sure about Nath tower, but, the company I work for is pretty groovy." The man pulled a nice looking exotic leather wallet out of a coat pocket- It was quite shiny, black, and emblazoned with a green and blue symbol that seemed a bit familiar to anyone who hadn't been living under a rock for the last decade.

"You might have heard of us, we're pretty famous, we even built that suit of yours." with a catlike grin and a wink, the man pulled out a business card, and proffered it to the muscular woman. It was a fairly plain white card, with that same green and blue logo on it. The Logo, upon further inspection, was a large O with a lower case i superimposed on it, and below the logo read the name "Kelly Williams, Director, Origin Armor Works"

Mo gave a small snicker as she thought about their names, how hers currently had managed to somehow be a more masculine than the Nepleslian's of all people - she looked at the card as he spoke and let out a thoughtful sound at what she was sensing would slowly build into a proposal of sorts.

"Origin huh, of course I've heard of you guys but this Armour works thing? can't say I'm too familiar with that, mind filling me in on the blanks?" the woman queried as she leant back on her Armour with masculine arms crossed under her chest.

"Well, for starters, your armor," Kelly began, pointing at the beat to hell Impulse "Was one of our first products." the man, moved over, a fluid motion bringing him into the proximity of the battered and blood-spattered armor. "However, we really focus on bigger things, ya dig? Mecha, Frames, larger than life stuff. Like an Anime brought to life. It's pretty chill."

The woman's brow furrowed defensively as Kelly approached her Armour, moving to make sure she was still between the man and her favorite piece of clothing as he spoke, "Yeah I understand what you mean just fine but understand that you touch my shit and I'll make you eat shit, nothing personal until you cross that threshold."

She thought for a moment, looking down toward the less than sanitary floor as the options were weighed - of course Mo liked this life style, it was something she was good at and got paid to be good at, but the prospect of getting paid to wear something bigger...

"I'm not too fond of the Anime part but are you saying I'll get paid to fly her bigger sister?" Mo mused curiously, resting a hand fondly on her Impulse's chest to make sure her point was understood.

"Whoah, now, don't worry about me. I wouldn't do anything to your suit except maybe help fix it, but, I know how precious these babies can get, see?" Kelly explained, holding both hands up and back for a moment to show he had no ulterior motives.

"But yeah, that's what I'm saying, we've got some openings and we need some skilled fighters, feisty people who can do what it takes to, how might you say it? Help us get rid of a persistent problem." The man smiled a little at the comment, nodding his head in confirmation that the phrase conveyed the message he was trying to send. "Plus, the pay and benefits aren't bad, and I daresay it's more stable than trying to make it in the ring, dig it?"

"Good, I'm glad we're both on the same page then," Mo confirmed grunted with a nod of her head, she was mulling over Kelly's proposition now that he made it clearer what exactly was wanted of her - it wasn't like the Minkan woman was a meathead who needed things to be laid out but this was it was easier to hold him accountable if things weren't as he said they'd be

"Fiesty hey? doesn't that just warm the heart... alright Mister Williams, I think you've made a sale - who is this persistent problem that needs dealing with?" Monica gave as her answer with a small yet sly grin as she put a hand forward for Kelly.

Kelly seemed to think a bit before he answered that question. "Truthfully, we aren't sure, ya feel? As far as we can tell, they are pirates, who may be associated with the people that stole some of our earlier mecha designs years ago. they have some mecha that resemble modified versions of our older designs, plus anything and everything that they can get their hands on, catch me?" He sighed, knowing it probably wasn't a good idea to talk about big time company issues in a less than savory establishment like this, but he figured Monica would need the extra info before she would want to commit.

"They've been jumpin' our shipping lanes. Not just ones pioneered and used by us alone, but also by some small time deals and one-ship-shops that gotta take slightly different routes to stay profitable, understand? It's cheaper to go around and easier than all the red tape and licensing and whatnot that a company would need to ship goods through four or five sovereign territories just to get to one of them. So, we need these cleared, not just for Origin, but also 'cause we care about the smaller guys; they do pay our bills after all, buying our ships and our goods and movin the economy all around the sector."

"I guess I dig that," the woman spoke, throwing what appeared to be this suit's favorite word back in his face before continuing. "So just to be clear, I'm getting paid to stomp around in a mech and ram my fists into whoever tries to mess with some of Origin's corporate assets as this company tries to scoot around friendly space to save time and money?"

Mo looked thoughtful for a second as she bit down on the fingernail of her left thumb, cuts and bruises already beginning to mend themselves slowly with a small chuckle from the very physically capable woman.

"I guess I can dig that, or feel ya or whatever you want me to say that registers as a yes to you - when can I start?"

Kelly pulled his hat off, and seemed to look inside of it for a moment before he answered. "Well, I've got two options I can give you, depending on how much you trust me. I can either take you with me now, and we'll head straight to Dawn station, or, I can show you the amount of trust I'll give you and hand you this preloaded KS card-" the item was summarily produced from within the hat, rather than his wallet, "And let you charter travel to Dawn Station, where we can start the process of getting you onboard once you're there," he explained, twirling the card between his fingers with a practiced elegance and more motor skill than most Nepleslians tended to show. "The choice is yours. There is also the third choice of just telling me to shove off and continue down the path you're already on, and I'm not gonna judge you, You gotta do what you gotta do. I just figure you might enjoy this path a little more than your old one."

Mo's icy blue eyes widened at the pre-paid thing that was produced from under Kelly's hat, she felt like that was a bit of a cliched thing to do but at the same time it seemed fairly in-character for the eloquent Nep. "I could hang around here, who are we kidding though? nobody wants to hang around here," the woman replied as she made a reach for the KS card.

The card paused in its motions, proffered with a gentle grip, it slipped easily from Kelly's fingers as Monica grabbed it, and the man swiftly spun his hat back onto the top of his head. "Well then, I guess that's that. Call me at the number on my business card once you reach Dawn and we'll get hoppin on it to get you in the mix. That card should have more than enough to get you to dawn, so feel free to get yourself something nice if you want, or even fix up your armor, there. and don't worry, we don't track that, so the money's already spent as far as I'm concerned." The dark-skinned Nepleslian gave the dark-haired woman a toothy grin. "I look forward to working with you, Miss Monica."

She slipped the payment under the neckline of her suit with a small chuckle, she'd one hundred percent be putting a little of it into fixing up her pride and joy but whatever was left over would be squirreled away. The woman extended a hand forwards and spoke some more, "Miss? I think you've got me confused with someone else but you can just call me Mo, it's what everyone else does."

"Mo it is, then," Kelly shot back, with a wink. "Just make sure you don't get too lost on your way over, it's only going to be a month or two before we set sail, and I'll bet you'll want some time in a Mecha to practice before the ship heads off." He turned, and waved at the woman, beginning to walk away, but paused for a moment, and turned back to look at Mo one last time. "And don't worry, we won't do anything that might hurt your reputation. In fact, I'm sure we can accommodate your style just fine."

Turning back forward, the man continued to walk out of the chamber they had been conversing in, giving a bit of a call out as he walked through the door "And don't forget to win your next match for me, I'll be rootin' for you." And with that, the man disappeared around the corner without so much as the sound of footsteps.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back