• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

On FCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadg Wolf

Inactive Member
I've been a little out of it lately. This is probably the wrong forum, but I didn't get the chance to say anything before the thread was locked, and I feel the need to say something.

First, Zakalwe, you can't post a design without expecting criticism. If you don't get any, you did a good job on the first try, but that's not likely to happen often. To outright refuse what you call "OOC comments" is stubborn and unintelligent. How could someone make an IC comment anyway? Zack was pointing out scientific inconsistencies. You have to understand sometimes ideas won't work out. If you don't have a realistic explanation, and refuse to accept criticism, how do you think it'll work out?

Braeden, you can't just "say something works." I've said this before. You start letting stuff like that through, it'll screw everything up. This has been based on reality so far. You can't go against some of the principle laws of physics or something like that in this RP (or you shouldn't, because Wes seems to be accepting it now). No matter how seemingly inconsequential the rules you're bending, it will have a large impact, because it will make other things acceptable that weren't to this point.

Zakalwe, Thomas, it seems you think Zack has been insulting you. He's offering criticism. You can't expect flowery language or dishonest opinions. If someone sees something wrong, they'll point it out. You might not think they say it in the nicest way, but that's because it's your idea they're criticizing. They're probably saying it the nicest way they can.

I don't know when I'll get on again, but hopefully I'll get the chance to clarify if someone misunderstands me.

I'd have to concur. The FCP is one of those things that should be debated at length.

The No-FCP-02 is a powerful and advanced pistol developed by NovaCorp. It works by projecting a bolt of Weak Nuclear Force, which negates the effect of the Weak nuclear force within atoms nucleus', causing them to fly apart due to neutrons and protons natural repulsion effect.

Ok......first of all, how do you 'project' weak nuclear force? And how does this projection of weak nuclear force (which is only strong at very close ranges, much closer than you'd ever want to fire it from) negate nuclear forces?

This weapon doesn't make any sense. I can't suspend my disbelief because it's totally nonsensical. There's just so many technical problems with your description it's completely unworkable.

Do I have to explain to you people the concept of suspension of disbelief again? Any technology has to at least make sense in the principles of its operation. Obviously, you would never be able to explain the in-depth processes of everything, but it does have to make some bit of sense - enough so you can suspend disbelief.

Wes may have spoken, but I haven't and that weapon makes not a bit of sense and anyone with rudimentary science education knows it. Unless Wes intends on using the 'just because' school of logic regarding technology, he'll force ol' dude to at least TRY and make the weapon make sense.

Well, poor Thomas is about at his wits end trying to make this thing workable, and I want to see it be successful, too. So, how can we tweak this design so it's functional? If weak force can't be transported by any sort of packeting technique, can we have the weak force be created and do its thing on the target somehow?

*Thinks*

By stripping molecules of all their electrons, at once, would it achieve the same effect (the nucleus disintegrating because of the protons' repulsion off one another)?

The No-FCP-02 is a powerful and advanced pistol developed by NovaCorp. It works by projecting a bolt of Weak Nuclear Force, which negates the effect of the Weak nuclear force within atoms nucleus', causing them to fly apart due to neutrons and protons natural repulsion effect. This results in the disintegration of the target, and a reasonable energy as part of the atoms energy is released. As such the bolt of the FCP can deal considerable damage, first disintegrating part of the target, then subjecting it to the heat and concussive force of an explosion. The bolt interacts with the air so as it flies it creates the interesting effect of being immediately followed by an ever moving small explosion, and the bolt itself glows bring blue thanks to the release of electromagnetic energy in the visible light spectrum.

The weapon does not actually use a battery or ammunition. It collects energy from the energy released in the barrel during firing, and this is more than enough to fire the next shot. This means that the weapon has an unlimited payload. It does need enough energy to fire the first shot, to start the effect rolling, but enough energy to do this is stored in the capacitors, and that recharges from the excess energy collected. The capacitor is charged by the factory when first purchased. It takes 2 seconds to recharge enough to fire another shot.

The pistol comes with a digital compass and a range-finder. The shell of the gun is made of perfect diamond, but is shaded chrome with metallic paint, and has wooden side to the stock. It also comes in a black version for field use, or if the user just like it that way. It uses a combination of advanced material shielding methods, including using amorphous metals and intercalated graphite's to shield the wires, and conductive polymers as wires. This makes it largely immune to EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). It has a laser sight on the top of the gun to help aiming.

Payload: Unlimited
Rate of fire: one shot every second
Range: 1km

Stripping molecules of their electrons - that'll do nothing but cause a big ass electrical bolt. I don't see how that'd make atoms disintegrate, because the protons are already repelling each other but are held together by the weak nuclear force. It'd be fatal if you could find a way to strip a buncha molecules of all of its electrons at once, but I mean.....disintegration, no.

Tell Thomas not to try so hard! Your not going to be able to come up with a new revolutionary weapon every day, wait till something comes to you then work it out.

Uhm, you can't ~do~ anything to the weak force. That's like saying you can project a force of gravity that has no point source and no causal mass onto an empty area of space. The weak force is not manipulable directly, though you can affect it through the manipulation of the actual molecules involved, say, in a nuclear reaction.

Oh, also, Neutrons and Protons do not, as stated in the second sentence of the quoted text in Wes's preceding post, naturally repulse one another.

Just sayin'.

You know, i read these posts, and i sort of understood that the FCP was not realistic, and then you guys started going on about protons and stuff, i mean i know a little about protons and the like cos i do physics at school, but we never did anything this advanced, could someone explain to me what you mean

Well Luke, there are four basic forces in the universe: gravity, electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and the strong nuclear force. The interaction of these forces is what allows atoms composed of oppositely charge particles like protons and electrons to come together and exist without repulsing one another infinitely. You can do a Wikipedia search for "weak nuclear force", if you like, for more information that you would ever want on the subject. There they go into the dynamics of the forces involved, including the interactions on a subatomic level of the particles that are essentially responsible for some of these forces, these being hadrons, quarks, and the like.

If you haven't noticed, there's been debate about this, but it's inconclusive. Wes said it was good before, so I guess people just don't care, but it's not scientifically correct and it should be.

Ok, well I had noticed, that is why I posted. I know Wes said that it was ik before, but there so many different ideas, that I don't know if I should be using it.

Well it is Wes saying that it is OK vs scientific common sense that says that it should not.

While I'm here, another bump because this was used in RP again.

Wes locked the topic and said it was fine, then I started this one and debate continued. Look up, and you see Wes trying to make it workable. If you're trying to make something workable, don't you think that'd mean it's currently unworkable?

There should be more discussion on this. It never should have been used or mentioned in RP unless it was mentioned as a concept, and not as a finished product, which it isn't.

Ok then, i'm only saying that as Wes invented the site, and he has authorised the use of this weapon, no one is going to get in trouble for using it in an RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back