• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • ๐Ÿ“… February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

(Open RP) Anti-Mecha Course

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he saw Mikael crash, he sighed and turned; he'd forgotten that in a lot of areas the Kykioans were likely more advanced, either through research and development or not loosing technology stupidly during a war, possibly both-and most likely the man was likely used to more advanced mech controls. Which meant he'd likely need more help than Steiner initially planned. "My apologies for the lapse in judgement-I had assumed you had some experience piloting mechas." The sentinel replied as he approached the Dragoon, and after fighting to get his student turned around and on a correct course out the door, "Unfortunately, this wholly dependent on the learning curve of the pilot. Try simply nudging the foot pads-you will move at a crawl, but should not stumble around like the town drunk, resetting navigation point."

This time, the point was thirty feet in front of them. "This should be a little easier." Backing away, but remaining close enough should his student require assistance Steiner waited patiently for his student to act.

Last edited:
Mikael did respond, focusing on not making any more of a fool than he already presently was doing. His Nepleslian side that remained laughed at him for not remembering how to use analog technology. He did as he was instructed and made much more subtle movements with the footpads to lessen his drunken walk to more like a tipsy ID-SOL. When he finally arrived at the nav point. He simply sighed as the machine came to a complete stop.

Steiner had been watching Mikael's progress it wasn't good. The Dragoon should've been moving differently-he'd never seen a novice pilot stumble around like that when moving so slowly-the NIH would help compensate for any balance issues...

Unless...

"Mikeal, I do not mean to be rude, but by any chance do you have implants?" Steiner inquired cautiously, "Or are possibly of non-human descent? This could affect how the NIH functions, as differences in brain chemistry can have an effect on how well an individual can interface with it. And depending on the implant in question this can also cause issues as well."

Last edited:
Mikael stopped the Dragoon and just let it idle for a moment before answering. "Nope, just a Minkan of Nepleslian origin. Perhaps something natural to me. Let me try something different." Mikael said. Judging from his voice, he wasn't insulted about the question at all. He just sat there as he went back to the wireless connection his firewalls were purposely blocking.

He was no Kessku Technician, but his work with SAINT had taught him quite a bit on the inner workings of his mind and outside computer systems his SPINE interface could possibly work with. Though the problem is that an interface has to be directly touching his SPINE. So that would not entirely work. He was going to have to come up with some seriously ad-hoc solution to fix his problem. Which he then got an idea, his AIES subroutines.

He fired up his internal wireless connection analyzer he programmed himself and let the NIH have access to all but the most critical parts of his mind. He was immediately greeted with a bad headache as his brain tried to interpret the new data coming to him from the Neuro Interface Helmet. He resisted the urge to stop it, thanks in large part due to his SAINT and Giretsu training. When he got enough diagnostic data to figure out his next step, he blocked the connections once again.

"Woo... reminds me of my old drinking days." Mikael remarked to Steiner, letting him know what he was doing indirectly. Most of the data he was looking at looked like requests for something, looking for specific patterns for actions. He then modeled responses the best he could given the circumstances and then unblocked the connection once again.

Pushing with the combination of the foot pedals and his mind, a dramatic improvement could be noted as Mikael began to link with the Mech in a fashion he was more used to. For the time being, he would just have to deal with the high pitch noise within him, causing a headache.

"Okay, let us proceed please."

A noticeable improvement. "Alright, marking original nav point-follow me please." Steiner began moving to the original nav point, when he realized something.

'What the hell is a Minkan?' A question for later.

Mikael made his way to the original nav point. The sensation of the machine moving around was interesting to him. More so if it wasn't for the pain he was receiving to make it happen more smoothly. As he reached the old nav point, he looked around and waited for Steiner's instructions.

The area they had reached was a wide stretch of land, a good distance away from the main compound-littered through out the area were a series of targets of varying sizes and old wreckages-with the targets being strategically placed to ensure that one had to move to get a proper angle. "Now that you have gotten the hang of keeping your machine upright, we move on to the fun part." Steiner, making sure that his student could see him began to move-his Warden's torso twisting left and right. "One of the key things that depending on the model of mecha you are using is the agility to move one's torso around to ensure that you stay on target, especially when mobile."

He focused down a visible target, and squeezed off a burst from his type 30s, sending chips of concrete flying as he rapidly turned, swinging his machines torso around while moving counter clockwise to engage a second target. "Some machines have more in common with tanks than they do an infantryman-and being able to deliver accurate fire can be just important as being able to swing a blade or a hammer." He finished, coming to a halt in front of the Minkan's machine. "So we are going to practice this so you can get the hang of maneuvering your machine.

A ping sounded in Mikeal's helmet. "I am unlocking your targeting system-either keep your crosshair on me, or hit the third button on the left side on the right hand joystick to activate it-your objective is going to try and keep me in your sights as we maneuver around the battlefield." He stated moving around to the other side of one of the wreckages.

"You will need to keep me in your sights for thirty seconds; only then will I unlock your weapons." And with that, Steiner took off. "On another note-I unlocked the Supercharger in your machine-try not to over use it-it will activate via either mental command or the yellow switch on the right hand joystick unit."

'And maybe he'll learn about that quirk.' Steiner simply chuckled to himself as he hid behind a fairly large wreckage a good distance away.

Mikael just returned a grunt of an acknowledgment as he proceeded to start the game of cat and mouse with the targeting sensors. He ignored the supercharger mode for the time being as he stomped his way to keep the much more experienced Steiner within his crosshair. A task far easier said than done for him as he was finding himself focusing between the joystick and his mental interface. One doesn't realize muscle memory is a thing until they relearn it for a new task.

He then started to think about an old friend and the hide and seek games the pair would do when he managed to sneak his way into the higher class neighborhoods of Roger Wilco. But he snapped out of it when Steiner managed to hide away once again.

Steiner eased his way along a larger wreckage-while the Dragoon I's sensors weren't particularly good, at this range if he didn't watch it-less than two hundred meters-Mikael would be able to pick him up.

Glancing over the side of a hunchbacked wreckage, he spotted Mikael doing his best to try and find him after losing him initially, his mech's back to the danger of the Warden. 'Nay, I shall be nice.' And as he placed his battlefist against the burned out hull in order to get a better view-a large chunk suddenly fell with a loud clang, exposing him to the machine's sensors. 'No time to tarry.' Steiner immediately took off, doing his best to evade his opponent before he got turned around.

Mikael, hearing the loud clang of wreckage, swung around as fast as he could and hit the supercharger for a moment to try to get some momentum faster. He was missing the ease of movement power armor provided him. The clunking around did give him the opportunity to think about how to apply his existing expertise in infantry combat to the situation. He pushed out with the Dragoon's sensors and try to map out likely ambush spots to avoid.

When Mikael hit the supercharger, his rapid snap turn cause him to overbalance; one of the biggest flaws in the Dragoon I's design had caused balancing issues with the machine, as while monoplate was quite effective at protecting a machine it was quite heavy and dense. This in turn made the machine quite front heavy and led to it falling over particularly when making sudden turns and stops.

While an experienced pilot could compensate for this imbalance-the Minkan's lack of experience sent the machine sprawling-churning up dirt in great puffs as the one of the cannons bent to the side and upwards, a small trench having been dug up in the process as the machine fell at an angle. When Steiner heard and saw what had happened, he refrained from laughing, grateful for the transmitter hiding the laugh in his voice. "I believe you have fallen Mikael." He observed dryly, moving over to check on the machine, "Are you unharmed?" ST backups or no, he was still going to make sure the man was uninjured.

There was nothing but silence as Mikael picked the Dragoon back up from the ground, Mikael not transmitting the curses in Lianjia Speech as he fell. Something along the line of mothers and chickens.

"Who designed this frilling thing?" Mikael thought to himself as he ignored the bruising of his torso the harness caused from the sudden change of momentum. The Dragoon just stood there for a moment before Mikael finally replied back to Steiner in an annoyed but professional tone. "The task is not completed."

"Very well!" Steiner took off, and then in a surprising display of agility suddenly leapt sideways-despite his machine's weight and momentum he vaulted over a low-well low for his machine-wreckage-digging into the sand and dirt as he slid. He sprinted off to the left and behind one of the targets, using his momentum to make yet another snap turn moving deeper into the wreckages.

"Bear in mind, while these machines at times are more like walking tanks at times-they are also deceptively agile, though you will need more experience before you can do some of what I just did." He informed the Minkan from his hiding spot-inside the hollowed out torso of what looked like some kind of superheavy-confident that the obstacle would at least serve some protection from Mikael's sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back