• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP [Open RP] East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Whisper

Retired Staff
RP Date
YE 42
RP Location
Gawain Station, Sanctum System
A dark spot in the skies above Sirris VI, Gawain Station served as an orbital base of operations for the Conclave's fleet operations. The ten kilometer wide rock - for it was an asteroid, dragged into a more useful position and then hollowed out for the fleet's purposes - was unassuming from the outside, save for the occasional ship leaving one of the various impact craters that littered its surface.

Inside was a different story.

Dozens, if not hundreds of craft flitted about within the asteroid's cavernous interior. Larger ships were docked within the hatch-covered craters that acted as a bevy of ports. Smaller craft moved about, carrying people or supplies to wherever they needed to be.

As for the people - the hollowed out shell of the asteroid provided a prime surface for buildings of all kinds. While much of the station's interior was reserved for military facilities and housing, the area known as Jack's Crossing was set aside for more leisurely activities for those who were between postings. Restaurants, bars, shops, and other distractions lined the streets. Civilians and military personnel, in uniform and out, strolled about leisurely with bags in hand.

Occasionally, one of the small crafts flew overhead and drew the crowd's attention. The more seasoned stall runners and couriers didn't even give them a second look.

OOC:
This is primarily a thread for those wanting to get familiar with their characters before the NDS Ravenaca's Watch kicks off, but I'm keeping it open for anyone who wants to hop in. There's no particular plan or outcome for this thread other than to have fun, so feel free to take things where you want them to go.

I reserve the right to stir up trouble if the opportunity presents itself. :)

For anyone confused about the station's layout, imagine that the asteroid's outer shell is fairly thick. You're walking on the 'underside' of the shell, held in place by a combination of spin and gravity tech. Big, natural pillars connect the shell to the asteroid's core, where the station's administration and the like are. The 'ceilings' are tall enough and the artificial sky real enough that you might think you were planetside if the ground didn't curve up in all directions.

You don't need to worry about the layout too much, other than to add flare.

As vehicles flitted by overhead a young woman who looked to be in her early to mid twenties seemed to be people watching from a bench within a small park between the buildings of Jack's Crossing. Her appearance seemed to draw looks from the various people as they passed her by but she paid them no mind. After all she was confident in her appearance, proud of it even. It wasn't just the metallic hair that dressed her head in hues of blues, purples, and greens, but the prestigious uniform she wore. That of the New Dusk Conclave's armed forces. Her uniform was immaculately clean, the belt buckle occasionally glinting in the artificial light of the station's interior, and her rank insignia was a ghostly white set against the black uniform in indication that she was part of the Navy. Next to her was a relatively small sack, containing her personal effects. Primarily, or in this case only, containing her standard issue gear.

Occasionally as she sat there, her eyes flitted about, looking at a HUD that only she could see as it was an internal projection of her system info and data locked away within her memory banks that she could call up at will. Currently displayed for her were her assignment orders. Her eyes lingered on the emblem of her new posting, her first posting, it was interesting to say the least. Though she found the motto a bit macabre. Still it wasn't a bad motto by any stretch of the imagination. When she wasn't people watching or staring at her orders, she was checking the time. Still a long way to go until the scheduled reporting time... she thought idly after checking the time once again. She briefly considered her options, she could grab a bite to eat, she didn't need to right now but it would be something to do. A burger and a strawberry Conclave Cola perhaps? Her brain considered it as she weighed how much of the material would be wasted and how much would be converted into useful materials. Eventually deciding against it, too inefficient right now. So it was that she went back to people watching.

The doors to the shuttle hissed open after docking with Gawain Station. The quiet young woman with her duffle bag over her shoulder, and a datapad in her right hand. She walked through with confidence and excitement about her. On the trip to the station, she heard a Starbreaker Husk was brought to the ship she’ll be serving on. She knew, since she’ll be piloting a Fighter, 50% that she, Arie, callsign Firewalker will assume control over it.

Periodically she’d look over the datapad, with the map of the station layout, and found herself in Jack’s crossing. She knew there was still time until she needed to board, but she had been excited. She wanted to see the Starbreaker, her favorite ship! “Ok, let's see, I need to go, ah, there, to go to the ship.” She said to herself before looking up. Her mechanical eyes scanned the crowds of people and the environment until she spotted her old friend ViiS. Her lips curled up into a grin and she made her way over to her. “Well, if it isn’t my friend Vii, Fancy meeting you here!” She said with the grin, she knew that she’d be here, and likewise she knew that they both would be serving on the same ship.

Gawain Station, arriving shortly.
The bolt shuttle was usually cramped, the interior at standard, meant for packing troops for quick deployment. However, this one was far more special, though no different in appearance, or IFF then any other. No, the interior was where it's true identity was apparent, it's utilitarian interior replaced with comfortable passenger arrangements fitting of VIPs. Leather chairs, even a magnetic table, vid screens, restroom, a dispencery, and a small bunk if by some chance needed. Embellished ever slightly, it still did not do much to dampen the somber mood.

Neera sat in her royal garb, the graphene pendant hanging from a small decorative pauldron. Such accessory had far more weight on her shoulder then many would ever realize, a small bit of her father left to carry with her. The vulpine woman stared out the false viewport at the stars, and by extension, the approaching station. Her uncle and co-lord, sat with a sympathetic stare for the woman, also garbed in his royal white uniform with a gold trim.

"You know, I'm sure your father would be proud to see the strong woman you have become, and how you've done so far in his place. I know it's been months now, and you still feel his death, but keep your head high child. It's a big day, and our people are looking up to you.", Mark said after a bit to break the silence.

Neera simply shifted her gaze to him before finally replying, "Doesn't mean I don't miss him everyday. It's hard to remove pain and stress when only more is added to it. These talks of diplomacy, reform, change, and now a synthetic people. Maybe I'm one to talk, but it is necessary I know, but I can't help to feel that he would have disapproved of some of these. Not only that, but the war, the threat uncovered at our Nephis colony, and current talks with Nepleslia." She furrowed her brow in a look of utter worry, fear almost. "The times are changing, we as a people are changing. I fear I can only live up to his legacy so far father."

Lord Mark's own reassurance faltered, not at only knowing what she said was right, but at being called that once more. Truth be told, he missed that, but he hadn't had that right to be called such in two years now. "Don't, I don't want you to continue his legacy, leave that to me. Instead, worry about your own, and setting a path you feel is right for the nation he started okay," he answered after a long quiet moment before adding, "Show them there is hope today, and while you do. I will be meeting with Casdan to discuss the improvements to the fleet okay. Just....try to cheer up dear, give a smile, and hold David close once your home. I'm sure he's missed you with all these meetings of late."

Gawain Station, Jack's Crossing
Long, light brunette hair wavered as a woman stepped off the transport, relaxed and carefree in attitude. Wearing utility cargo pants, boots, and a tank top with service jacket. All of which was in the standard military colors, including the pack on her back that had a drone hanging from it, and datapad she wasn't really even looking at. Blue eyes seemed to scan the place curiously as she observed the newer station, a map layout enlarged on her HUD.

Ceilia pulled a energy bar from the pocket of her jacket, a quick, yet sad meal for such a short notice trip. Not that it bothered the woman much as she walked along the corridors, seeming to avoid near collisions at an adapt rate, all the while her eyes seemed glued to the pad now.

Reading up on the station, it was certainly well done in construction, and probing the system's security came back solid too. She could see Weyland has been hard at work of late, her boyfriend seeming to never take breaks when it came to that lab of his. She stopped for a moment to giggle to herself before finishing off the bar, not noticing the crumbs on her lip as she now produced a can of cola.

Sipping away and back on her journey, the woman entered the crossing fully now. Finding it amusing how many places had been named after the man so soon now, despite the man himself never having been that narcissistic. It was no joke to say she owed the man her life, as much as her brother who took the deal in order to give it to her. The nearby talking however, stole her attention mid-sip, realizing who and what they were. Blue eyes stared at the two synthetic women, examining their bodies and features absently as they greeted each other.

V115 crossed one leg over the other as she sat there upon the bench, her eyes just flitting from person to person. The foot suspended in the air tapped at nothing as she put more processing power into physical movements just to help occupy herself and contain what could only be described as excitement about getting her first real posting. However as her brain processed a familiar voice the movement stopped and she turned her head to look in the direction of the voice. Arye's grin must have been contagious because the typically cool V115 curled her own lips into something approaching a smile. "Well if isn't the Firewalker herself!" she replied, her bright pink eyes looking over the other operator. "Though I'm sure even you were capable of calculating that our odds of meeting again were exceeding ninety percent," she finally smirked before adding "After all we are assigned to the same ship. Still I'm glad to see you made it."

For a moment she briefly considered inviting Arye to join her on the bench, but the truth was it was boring the hell out of her. So it was that she grabbed her sack of personal belongings and got up from the bench. As she did so the woman currently observing them would probably notice that V115 was on the small end of the operator spectrum. At only five foot three her short stature belied the fact that she was as operationally capable as any other of her young species, and despite her short stature she carried herself with a certain confidence and intensity that spoke to her training and personality. "Got any plans for before reporting in? I was just killing time... considered getting something to eat but it just seemed too inefficient when the only justification was boredom."

Arye smiled at the mention of her callsign, but laughed at her next statement. “Indeed, you are correct, when I learned where I was to be stationed, I saw your name on the crew roster, so our odds of the meeting would be close to 10097 to one, after all, I would be making sure that I reunite with you once more. “ She told the other Operator.
She watched her friend grab her sack of belongings and rise from her seat. She assumed that her friend was bored just sitting there, and while Arye had considered sitting down her excitement didn’t make that possible. She noted as she always had, how she was five inches shorter than her, but she chose not to comment. “I had considered dropping my bag on my bunk and going down to the bays. I heard that there was a Starbreaker Husk, and I wanted to see if that’s the fighter I’ll be piloting.” It was likely well known how enamored she was of the Starbreaker class starfighter. “Though you are correct, going to eat just to deal with boredom does seem inefficient. “ She added in agreement to her friend.

Gawain Station, arriving shortly.
“Uncle Mark’s right, Sis,” Said the Gynoid who’d been quiet up to that point. Her eyes weren’t glowing due to having her eyelids covering them. She soon opened them to look at her Uncle and Sister both. Her audio receptors picked up on what Mark was saying to her sister, and the younger Gynoid thought about how her sister was feeling and wondered if it was similar to how she was feeling too. “I always got the impression as long as we’re peaceful, and won’t just send our troops out in senseless wars, He’d be proud. Very Happy, and Proud I mean.” She said after a while.

"You always were obsessed with it, though I always thought those were only flown by..." she paused as she was about to say artificial intelligence. V115 had always found the term distasteful. But at present she lacked the proper vocabulary to offer a sufficient alternative. "Well by AI?" she finally finished with a tone that sounded ever so slightly disgruntled. Shortly after asking the question, a little notification appeared upon her HUD. A warning from a subroutine she often ran in the background of her mechanical brain. A simple alert really but it let her know when someone appeared to be watching her. It wasn't full proof by any means and she often ignored it, but something tugged at her conscious mind about it this time. Call it intuition, or just instinct. Her eyes shifted to the side as she found the apparent onlooker. A thousand possibilities ran through her head, but she settled on what was the most likely. "Sorry Arye, mind if we put a pin in this for the moment?" she asked rather quickly, before giving a small wave to the onlooking Ceilia.

"Do you need assistance miss?" she asked of the woman. Her voice was mildly friendly at best, but mostly just rather stiff and formal. She'd never really dealt with the public while in uniform before. However she did her best to put on a friendly smile, and look welcoming... well as best she could with her rather narrow eyes and metallic horns. Still she felt compelled to make the offer, not just because her actions would reflect upon everyone who wore the uniform but because she felt compelled to serve and contribute. To do her part for the NDC, even if it was as simple as giving a stranger directions. Which was precisely why she thought this woman had been staring at them.

Jack's Crossing
Ceilia was so intrigued with Weylan's handiwork, that she almost didn't realize she'd just been addressed. Looking miffed for a second at the question, it took a moment before she realized how she must look. Lowering the can, she answered, "To be completely honest, I was observing you and your friend. Part of why I'm here at this station, and well...... curiosity I guess."

Clearing throat before stepping over, she offered the two operators her extended hand to shake. "Ceilia Ryzka, pleased to meet you. By the way, do you have something against AI? Sorry for eavesdropping."

Incoming Shuttle
"Five minutes until landing milord and ladies."

"Sister, I strongly don't believe father would have wanted this. For us to make militarized species of synthetic people. Sure they have choice, but they are created with the inclination to war," Neera answered Nyx with a frown, one more for herself then her dear sister. "Father must be spinning in his grave right now."

Mark did not voice it right away, but he was sadly inclined to agree with her. "Well....my brother was indeed the pragmatic idealist. It certainly inspired hope, despite the realist views he developed them from.", He finally said with a nod.

Incoming Shuttle
Nyx heard the announcement for five minutes, but her focus was on her sister. Neera felt she was against them making a militarized species, which led her to believe that she didn’t know about what kind of Gynoid Nyx was. She was made to be a warrior, though lie the Operators she was also able to choose. “True, though I don’t know how he reacted when he learned I was built, and by mother, I think you are correct.” She admitted though she got the sense Jack wanted her in his family which pleased her.
Before she could stop herself, Nyx moved to give her sister a hug before moving back to her seat. The frown bothered the younger Gynoid. Though unable to tell whether it was because of her, and her words or for Neera.

Arye grinned at her “Yeah, usually, they are, but with the personality that some of them have, like Omega Wing pilots, for example, no one would know that.” She told her before her friend began noticing that they were being watched, and she turned to look spotting a beautiful woman before she followed her fellow Operator.
The woman, Celia confessed to watching them talk, and she wasn’t sure how she would feel about that. She shook her head. “Nice to meet you, Celia, and No, nothing wrong with them, some of our friends, classmates, even caretakers were AI and they were the best of people. I’m Arye, Arye Firewalker, though Firewalker is my callsign, I’ve chosen to adopt it as my last name too.” She told Celia as a way of introduction.

V115's posture stiffened slightly as Ceilia mentioned that she was observing them, her mind wondering who this woman was exactly. Once her name was given, a glowing pinkish purple ring appeared around each of the operator's irises. Perhaps a bad habit, but V115 didn't like being at a disadvantage and as such she was rapidly connecting to the local network with a subroutine she created for a fast breadth over depth based search on Ceilia. Her HUD suddenly filled with some quick facts such as her connection to Osman University and some publicly accessible photos, but little else. Still it was enough to pique the operator's interest and to put her mind at ease that the woman was unlikely to be a threat. A hand was then extended to shake the woman's own as the rings faded and went dark.

"V-one-one-five," she replied, "As to your question, from my perspective there's nothing wrong with AI themselves. In fact I largely consider them to be like a close cousin. It's the term that I dislike. Something about artificial rubs me the wrong way." Though V115 was a pilot she withheld her callsign, it wasn't one she was exactly fond of. "Are there any questions about us that you're still feeling curious about?"

YE 42
Planet Yamatai, Kyoto

It had been days since Mikael received orders for his temporary change of station. He had fully expected to remain with the old Giretsu Century of the 75th Legion. But Big Rikugun had different plans for it that didn't involve him. Considering he was only merely a Shoi, it didn't surprise him in the slightest.

What did surprise him was a request to meet with the Rikugun Chief of Staff and not within his office on top of that. His SAINT senses were tingling too much for him to not ignore something was going on. So he sat there on a bench on the side of a road like one of those spy thrillers the locals watch sometimes.

After awhile a self-driving car could be seen floating and coming to a stop in front of him. The door opens and he knows that is his cue to enter. Closing the door, the car begins driving to its designation and a volumetric display comes to life showing Mizumitsu Benji.

"Shoi Mikael Harris, we meet at last." Benji simply said in a business manner. Mikael fully understood the meaning of that single sentence and he did his best to hide his dread with a tried and true SAINT face. "Don't worry, this does not deal with my daughter. We will get into that eventually."

"Then what does this have to deal with sir?" Mikael asked in response to not having to deal with Ingrid. The two were still sorting out their... issues.

"A personal matter revolving around my clan. A number of years ago, a sister of mine left with the traitors of the 5th Expeditionary Fleet. While I can understand her reasoning, I cannot condone her actions then or now." Benji said, ending with a sigh and looking at a cup of tea a hand placed on the table.

Mikael accessed the records regarding the event, speedily cross-referencing names with Mizumitsu until he came to a record regarding a Shoi Mizumitsu Sara. He just raised an eyebrow.

"I see are truly SAINT, I do not need to explain myself then. The New Dawn Conclave is looking for exchange officers for spec ops cross-training and your name came to my terminal when I inquired your Division on a candidate to send. Perhaps it is due to your training efforts with the 75th Legions Giretsu Century." Benji said after another sip of tea.

"I lost contact with my sister, but have been able to keep track of her via contacts when she decides to use her real name. A known alias of hers, Motoko Kusanaki, was used to send salvage to Sirris VI according to a contact of mine. You are not working as a SAINT agent, but I would like you to look into myself and her current status as a personal favor to myself and the clan.

"Very well sir, I will report should I hear anything about former Mizumitsu-shoi or this Motoko Kusanaki." Mikael said, saluting the volumetric display as he could not bow.

"Thank you Shoi Harris and represent the Yamatai Star Empire with pride! Tenno Himiko Banzai!"

"Banzai!!" Mikael responded, throwing up both his hands as much as he could in the car. Thankfully the windows were polarized to be only one-way, otherwise, it would be a very strange sight for the locals.

YE 42
Gawain Station, Sanctum System

Mikael always seemed to be traveling the stars. His former teenager self would be ecstatic with all of this. But the older and mature Mikael of today was getting sick of being stuck in small shuttles for extended periods of time. He much rather be exploring new alien landscapes or leading his men to action. But he just stood there with his duffle bag, waiting for the shuttle doors to finally open.

"Welcome to Gawain Station visitor. Please follow the signage to customs to present your paperwork. We wish you a pleasant stay." A VI spoke to him wirelessly after he connected to the civilian network mentally. Mikael, wearing his Type 37 FIeld uniform with the 75th Legion patch, made his way to customs.

Last edited:
"Hmmm, a good question in of itself really. Most obvious ones that I have will get their answers on your deployment as a unit. But that does leave the realm of personal information." Ceilia thought on that for a moment as they shook, before answering with, "What's it like, being an operator, the next generation of created sentience? Also, what was that birth like? I know that's a lot to ask right off from someone you've only just met."

The brunette smiled even as they parted hands. She let those questions sink in as she mulled over what facts she knew. Draining the last of her can of soda, it was soon tossed over her shoulder, in perfectly rebounded into the waste can. "You could say I'm very interested out of personal reasons."

Arye glanced to her fellow Operator and took notice of the ring on her eyes. She knew, of course, what was going on, probably checking up on Celia. Arye preferred to get to know the person rather than do that, and she always felt it was cheating, but she wouldn't comment if her friend wanted to check her out using their link to the system. Her friend also explained what she had meant about AI, and Arye nodded her head in agreement.

Firewalker had felt the same way as V115 about the term. “Nothing Artificial about the people I’ve met!” She stated before the other operator asked if there were questions Celia had, and her eyes blinked in surprise. “You don’t remember your birth I assume, being a Natural rather than a Synthetic. hmm… Ok! So imagine this, you suddenly wake up, and suddenly as time pass, things appear in your mind, skills you suddenly didn’t remember having before, but then you give a start because you don’t remember things from before you woke up. You didn’t have a life before, but you do now. Of course, the world I lived in for a while was a simulated one. It was odd to be sure.”

Her eyes caught the can as it fell into the waste can and her eyes blinked. “Impressive'' She commented before turning her attention to Celia '''' Personal reasons?' She asked for clarification.

V115 nodded in agreement with Arye. "I remember there not being a whole lot at first, then I suddenly knew things. It's hard for me to put into words but it wasn't really me then. I had no concept of being. However in what feels like a short amount of time I suddenly was, I existed. Then my awareness of myself and others expanded until suddenly there was a world of information pouring in. It was beautiful, that first sensation of being overwhelmed. Though having a body and understanding the physical world was quite another unique experience in and of itself but it was certainly less overwhelming to be sure." She seemed to pause in thought for a moment before adding, "As for what it's like well, I suppose I would say it's wonderful. We learn fast, our bodies are strong and resilient, not to mention it fits like a glove so to speak."

Her pink eyes watched the can with curiosity, luck perhaps? Or maybe not, but either way V115 was intrigued. Both with who this woman could be and why she was so interested in operators.

"Well to answer your question, I'm dating one of your creators, and my step mother is the other. I hope that clarified." Ceilia thought about how to state that answer. Resting and elbow in hand, and a finger on her chin as she did. The smile returning, she added, "You could almost say that makes us all family, and we aren't so different after all."

The girl was having fun, and these Operators were so full of life. Despite being synthetic born sentients, they were going through experiences that most beings like them never got to indulge in. She saw the intrigue in V's eyes though, and new she amusingly, had caught her attention at her can trick.

Arye was nodding to what V115 was saying because it was the same way for her. Of course Arye’s way of explanation was probably confusing in some extent. She felt she needn’t add anything more on the topic, nor the topic of her skills because her attention went to what Celia had said next was surprising. “Your… ohh I see” She said as she pondered this information, while adopting a sort of mimic of Celia’s movement as she pondered this. “I think it’s neat to know I have more family!” She said finally with a big grin as she shifted the bag she was holding.

The younger Operator couldn’t help but turn to the two of them to ask” So, do you two have a favorite class of Fighter ship?” She asked though V115 knew hers.

V115 stiffened ever so slightly as she processed what her ears had just heard. Instead of copying the woman's mannerisms like Arye, she opted to try and straighten herself out as if she was being inspected by a superior officer. "I see, hopefully we are living up to your partner's and stepmother's expectations." Though she did seem to relax a little when Arye asked her favorite class of fighter ship. "I'm much more interested in frames but if I had to pick a fighter as my favorite I would say the BW-MSF 'Sparrow' is mine."

Last edited:
"By the void, relax V, I'm not your mom.....at least I don't think I am.", Ceilia replied before giving a giggle, finding it too opportune to make such a joke. With the change of subject, she seemed riveted to the pair, wanting to grow closer to them.

"Personally I prefer frames too, though I would still opt for the classic middle ground. The U1-2b which used to be the standard craft for us way back during the S6 days. Variable fighter that is also a frame, much like it's descendant, the Sparrowhawk we use today." It was clear she was quite knowledgeable about the nation's past, as well as their equipment. She stepped closer and put an arm around V115's shoulder and leaned on her almost fondly, "My favorite frame though is the Possessor, the one I was originally installed on."

Arye nodded her head ’it’s true, you’d be either our stepmother or sister, actually, I like the idea of calling you my sister if you prefer that.” She said watching and listening as Celia giggled which sounded melodious to her ears. She smiled as she watched Celia moved closer, but she acknowledged that V needed the comfort.

Her mind, though processed their answers to her question which appeared to be that they preferred frames more than fighters. Though she supposed she could understand and as Celia mentioned the frames, then much like with V there was a ring around her eyes that glowed as she retrieved the information. “The Possessor, oh, I have seen reports that Sir Zeke, and Lady Nyx partner up in that one.” She commented as her eyes returned normal.

V115 simply let the joke go, doing her best to relax further even though she felt somewhat on edge still. After all, she had always wanted to prove the capabilities of operators and absolutely did not want to make a poor impression on someone who had a direct line to some of the NDC's key figures. Though she didn't flinch at the close personal contact, her eyes did drift away from Ceilia. "The Possessor is quite a fine frame, I have a lot of simulated hours on the virtual version." With that said she slowly moved her gaze back to the woman, "Installed? Then are you an AI?" she asked rather than making another assumption.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back