• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission Operator (Take 2)

Whisper

Retired Staff
Okay! After a bunch of thinking on the matter, here's where we've landed on Operators. I'm putting all this stuff out here so it doesn't sit in my backlog forever and we can start getting more eyes on it.

TL;DR:
Operators are now androids! They can do some cool stuff, but their core purpose (to act as a central controller for mechs, fighters, ships, etc) remains unchanged. There's a lot of support for players to RP an Operator as 'basically human, if you ignore the internals' and 'basically a robot in human skin', depending on your character's personality and interest in delving into some of the finer details.

In line with some of the original feedback, Operators are distinctly manufactured products at this point, not a species. I've reviewed these articles with the other FMs and am giving it my stamp of approval. :)

Thanks!

Note: I've got the Crescendo listed as a sub-article here and it is also an active submission thread. Tackle that however feels right, just wanted to call it out.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
GH stuff is almost always given a go-ahead before the thing hits the NTSE but yes, Whisperman has approval to use GH stuff

Bumping this, as it'd be really great to get some of the stuff that we've been working on for a good part of the year over and done with so that we can move on.

Three Day Approval (with the exception of the Crescendo sub-article)

Hey @Whisper! Thoughts are that they have really cool abilities and there's a really good amount of really good reasons to play them. I think them having hip wings would interfere with sitting in pilot seats but I'm sure you can find something around that. I was like?? DR 2?? for a creachur??? Asked Syaoran who asked if they're androids, I said yes and guessed what they were going to say, that it's fine for essentially androids. I tried to keep a very open mind and was pleasantly surprised : ]

Now then! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki-style guidelines, including No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Approved

Awesome, thank you Ame! I'm glad you like them. It took a while, but I tried to really consider the feedback you both gave last time. Thank you both for that. :)

Hey, I was reading the article and one thing that doesn't make sense to me is why they have a 300,000 km range to detect tachyons (seven and a half times the circumference of the Earth). Why does a humanoid playable character need to be able to detect things that are astronomically far away?

Hey Wes!

Glad to see your interest!

I had a variety of goals with Operators, one of which was to reduce the NDC's need to use PAs to free up that 'creative space' for other factions, like Yamatai. I did a bunch of research to see what was reasonably common for light PA in the setting, including sensor packages, and gave them some features that were similar to what was normal- though typically at a reduced power.

I'm not 100% sure what all sources I formed my basis on tachyon sensors were, but the AIES is the first example I can find and it offers a 473,177 km range. Seeing as Operators' brains are a brain-sized quantum computer (as opposed to the 'tiny' descriptor for the AIES) and they could reasonably fit similar sensors into their body, it didn't seem far-fetched at the time to give them something less powerful.

My goal wasn't to make them all crazy OP or anything, so I don't mind reducing the range if it's an issue.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back