• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Origin Bladeworks] Sword-Spear Custom Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSkully

🦊 FM of Neshaten
🦾 FM of Nepleslia
🎖️ Game Master
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=items:weapons:sword_spear
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
Submission Type: Custom Weapon
Template Used: Taken from the example weapons

Faction:
FM Approved Yet?: No @Kai
Faction requires art?: No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

@Kai here is a new weapon thingo from origin, lmk if there are any issues with it

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Looks good to me. Aether Cell might be a bit much but ehh. *Shrugs* I have no qualms. Does this need a proper review?

Aether cell is just to make sure it keeps flying forever :3

and I dunno about that, I assume so but I am not sure.

Anyone going to checklist this? We don't need further FM or SM approval, so it should be able to pass a checklist today.

I will, @Ametheliana, unless another submission moderator takes it first (which I'm hoping will be the case, to be honest - I've claimed too many things as is >.<).

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✔️ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✔️ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✔️ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✔️ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ❌ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔️ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ N/A ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔️ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✔️ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ❌ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:
  1. Would you mind expanding the article's introductory section and appearance description, please? As it stands now, I have no idea where its individual components are located, what color the blade and hilt are, and so on. Art would be even better; tomorrow morning, I'll start looking for some "create your own sword" sites.
  2. The enhancements need to either have their own descriptions or be linked to the Accessories and Enhancements Information section of the Origin Blade Works article.
  3. How much does the Sword-Spear weigh?
  4. @Wes or @Nashoba, the Faction Managers of the Yamatai Star Empire, need to post their approval of the submission in this thread.

When these fixes are made, please post a reply here so I can re-check the article. Thank you!

Alright I changed some stuff, let me know how it is now.

A quick heads up, Koku Ken was the first of any flight capable melee weapons and was a tamahagane built weapon. I'm not comfortable with this item since the original blueprint for Kokū Ken is owned by Candon Suites and at this point no Corporation has asked permission to borrow the technology he invented. I am not sure how the origin blade Works page claims to be capable of duplicating my invention. Perhaps someone could explain this to me as it's possible I might be missing information.

He invented using inertia to move objects? I sincerely doubt that.

By that logic, there should only be one kind of smartphone in existence because somebody invented and patented it, how dare other companies make similar products!

I realize I am very much biased in this but if I try to remove myself from the equation and look at it with fresh eyes, then it honestly doesn't seem like an issue that needs to be dealt with further - I'm sure other people have made use of the gravitic drive before had no hassles.

Not in a sword!
Imagine, if you will, that I took something unique and personal about your character and mass-produced it. How do you feel about it now?

Well I never started out with that intention - how was I supposed to know that one person had one character with a sword that can fly? I just looked at the bladeworks page and saw an opportunity. I'm sorry if you think it's somehow stepping on your character's own unique weapon (which arguably has more differences than similarities to mine) but it's hard to be unique anymore when everything has been re-done so many times before.

Gravitic drives themselves are not unique to your character, putting them in a sword may be somewhat but swords aren't unique to your character either, this weapon is not being mass produced either - it is a single item designed for use by one of my characters so I don't get that whole side of the argument.

As for if somebody did it to me? if they straight up copied the idea then I may be a bit salty yeah, but if they (accidentally or not) made an item that had similar attributes then I'd be happy to say I did it first and move on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you didn't intentionally mean to bust my balls but ow!
Here's the thing, if any company would be permitted to reproduce a design with technology invented by Suites they really need to get permission to avoid copyright infringement. Most inventors get paid a royalty for use of their designs. At this point Candon won't even get an honorable mention!
Probably this is something that needs to be brought to the attention of @Kai to straighten up.

Okay, so, I've done some digging through the Wiki, as well as just my own basic memories of things in the setting from back in the day, as well as who can make what, and it comes down to this: Gravitic drives are a very old and well used SARP technology, to the point that most factions have phased them out of starship use, so it stands to reason that it's a widely commercially available technology that's had plenty of time to mature and be easily miniaturized and accessible to just about anyone.

As far as this sword goes, it's very significantly different from the one Candon had made- different blade style, different handle, different overall systems, the only kind of similar things are that it is a sword-ish blade, has a gravitic drive, and is controlled by a mind link- none of these things are unique at all, and certainly the combination would not be unique to the setting let alone a single character. Sure, Candon Suites was the first character to ICly have a flying sword of some kind made for him, but that doesn't mean he's the first person ever to do it ever in the history of ever, or that other people can't make similar items, especially when they are significantly different enough as these two things are.

Rizzo, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. If Skully had ripped it off entirely, same blade, same style, same overall configuration, it would most definitely be an issue, but as it is now? There is absolutely no issue and you're just getting mad because your character is no longer unique in having a flying sword- and if having that flying sword is what makes that character unique and someone else having a flying sword somehow ruins that character, I'd suggest developing the character further.

I don't think faction managers of Yamatai need to post approval for Origin setting elements, since it has traditionally been treated as a faction. What are your thoughts @Kai and @FrostJaeger ?

So because grav drives are old were going to discredit Candon as the inventor? I'd call that a very large assumption based on no solid information. Ball bearings were invented years before fidget spinners, why would we discredit my character as the inventor? At least obtain the reproduction rights or pay a royalty or something!

He didn't invent this. This isn't a reproduction of one of his inventions. No one is doing anything remotely resembling trying to
reproduce a design with technology invented by Suites
so they don't need to obtain permission for anything from anyone.

Ball bearings were invented years before fidget spinners,
This both disproves your point and has no major relevance to your argument. Fidget spinner companies don't have to pay a royalty to the inventor of the ball bearing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back