• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Origin Starship Compartments and Other Undersized Pages

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Looking at the Google Search Console for StarArmy.com I found that Google is refusing to index some of our wiki pages because the content is too small and they appear to be "Soft 404s." Websites give a 404 error when a page is not present, but a soft 404 is when a webserver supplies some low-content page when there's really no page there, like instructions on how to search for stuff. When wiki articles are small Google can mistake them for these soft 404s and it hurts our web presence on Google. Google search is how a major of our new players find us so it's a big deal.

Two pages from the Origin's list of standard ship compartments have appeared in the list of soft 404s:
  1. https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=corp:origin:laundry
  2. https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=corp:origin:kitchen
The solution is to beef up these pages and then I can resubmit them to Google. That means we need to add content to them such as OOC notes (I added it for one), more text, and maybe even images. They need to link to other wiki articles and have pages that link to them. The reason I bring this up is that these pages are not the only pages like this, and it's only a matter of time before other small/stub articles get flagged for this same lack of content. It is likely that almost every other starship interior page could use an update.

So this is my request to anyone who have made or encountered small articles in the past, let's get them beefed up so we can have more pages indexed on Google.

Even if you don't want to edit these pages, feel free to identify them here in this thread for their creators and/or staff to update.

@Kai (Origin)
@Syaoran (Content Staff)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back