• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Osaka's doodling

OsakanOne here. The better stuff of my journey to artistic enlightenment ends up here. At this point, it's mostly just experimentation...

lolipw5.png

If you'd like me to have a go at something for you, just ask here!

Re: Osaka's doodles... And maybe comissions.

Sure thing, Ex.

Packet Rifle concept art.

Scope is to scale with that of standard size rifle.

Power Source is not included (note the manifold hose on the bottom and that the rail assembly moves, like that of a cannon, to reduce recoil to manageable levels.. Despite this, it's about equal to a semi-truck with a maximum legal cargo (8 tonnes?) smashing into your right shoulder at 80mph.

Takes some very special modifications to the AMX-101 to handle this (which will be the Type-S (AMX-101-S)

Experimenting with some coloring techniques.

The method I'm trying involves doing color on a flat contrast tone (like paint).

On a 30% opacity on a layer above, I etch black over to set the lower levels of light involved and use the burn tool to generate lighting affects.

It seems quite effective - The line-art even seems to act as the highlight so I might try and duplicate Ryujin's pure-paint-no-lines style and then add lines where appropriate later.

As with all of my stuff, click thumbnail for bigger view.

Update
Been experimenting with some layer affects.

Click thumbnail for larger view

This is mostly for my own benefit but might be worth looking at if you want to try yourself. It works very well for metal... With some careful work, it might even work for skin.

Update: "Mysterious ways"

Got my technique all sorted, having a wonderful time.The moment I save, Photoshop dies, taking my machine with it and then all the lights in my house flicker.

Just swapped 4 bulbs: We had a power-surge.
Thankfully, my surge-protector worked but I lost 2 hours of tweaking and fiddling about: Turns out my details missed out a lot of really subtle stuff (mostly in terms of opacity/fill levels that make my technique work).

I fiddled around and I think I found an improvement I otherwise might not have that allows me to "paint" one face, then use a hard brush in black to create black gently against the gradient then leak in with the DODGE TOOL, NOT THE BURN TOOL to get this really nice smooth affect, like the kind of thing you get in car concept art

picture7sg0.png

Updated Layer listing reference in their stacked order

Lineart - [NORMAL]- 50% Opacity
Usage: Take normal sketch on transparent background (new layer required at start - a good habit) and invert color (APPLE/CTRL + I) to get a good white against the black. Useful for knowing where things are defined and formed.

Matte - [OVERLAY] - 49% Fill
Usage: Fill with flat colors in areas that apply. A nice even flat coat: don't even think about shade. Double this layer for decals at 75% opacity (Call tis layer "Decals" - Might be ideal for scratched metal effects using clone brush?)

Lighting - [LINEAR BURN] - 23% Opacity
Usage: Start black, dodge in glowing and any glare/bloom. Double up layer on half opacity to intensify the affect and then use burn to darken non-glow areas (Call this layer "Highlights")

Definition - [LIGHTEN] - 72% Opacity
Usage: Start black, dodge in how light falls. Paint in scenery. Happy little accidents seem to happen regularly. :)

Observations

• I can only see what I've defined in the definition layer for color. Everything else is pitch black (as you can see). Not the end of the world but annoying sometimes. Paint the matte first and then feel good knowing you can fuck with that layer (apply texture, image, decals, anything) and it looks pretty good.
    If you use a black brush on the Definition layer and clear out a hard-edge face (side of a dice for example) and then dodge it back on one side, a repeated dodge will create a hard face with proper lighting dynamics (See image).

Nearly uploaded a PSD lawl

Now that I've got my coloring method and lighting down, I've gone back to do some detailing and work out how some of the different mechanisms are going to work (which will later be depicted).

IMAGE ONE: Picture 7.png:
Here, I'm experimenting with masks and gradients.
I am simply amazed by how quickly you can throw together a decent looking machine (which you then touch up with manual painting tools and smudge/smear).

Not as comprehensive or as detailed as Ryujin's (sp?) look but I feel it looks the part.

It's a good technique for broad surfaces but kind of blows with smaller simpler ones so I think I might make an update to the 102 with cast-off armor or something.

IMAGE TWO: Picture 8.png

I applied more detail on the legs (seeing as I've basically been ignoring them) to draw focus to them, to give an impression of things like thrusters and moving parts. The lack of detail on the chest also gives an illusion of denser armor with a lower complexity (which is what I'm going for here).

Trying to go for that Jet-Fighter look I was trying for with the original.
I think it looks far more faithful to the design.

Ignore the colors lol

Attachments follow...

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 725
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    185.7 KB · Views: 694

Looks pretty good Osa, over all I love the design, and would love to see this in color.

Armored coverings.

Probably won't use it in the final but it's very interesting so I'll save it.
Maybe it'll find it's way into the 103 or 104.

Note to self:
Observation - Learn to appreciate empty space. Depiction is form. Over-form distracts from the overall object being depicted and makes the given design too busy. A lack of detail however, will fail to draw any attention. The trick is to find the middle-ground.

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 646

Mocked up a human zygote model.
Messing with proportions and component layouts.

Eventually, I'll rig this and use it as a sort of blue-print (by which time the larger humanoid body will be removed).

Attachments

• Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 594
  • Picture 17.png
    Picture 17.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 591
  • Picture 19.png
    Picture 19.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 595

Finally got a hold of the Gnomon industrial design DVDs. I've been watching the methodology (particularly Syd Mead and Feng Zhu, both mechanical designers) and I decided to apply a method both use called "dirty blotting".

This is just letting your hand move freely and loosely, blotting in shape with lines and cleaning up. The idea here is to let happy accidents make your forms and Free Transform/Erase tool clean up.

It seems quite effective - In about 4 minutes, I was able to toss this together.

Looks like I've found my niche.

Why aren't I finishing the other bits?
I got so far and realized a lot of form hadn't actually been defined - that is - a lot of stuff had form but a lot of other important stuff actually DIDN'T.
That's like trying to paint the human body without knowing what a deltoid is or how light moves across it so you end up with "wrong" looking inconsistencies.

I also want to work more on my technique.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 518

I like this one. You're getting better all the time. Keep it up!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back