• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP [Osman University] Chapter 3: A new Campus

Thaddeaus gave the woman who just approach a half bow with his hand across his chest. "I am having a wonderful day miss." He said in reply to her as he looked over to David. "I will be teaching the PE class and looking forward to whipping these students into shape." He leaned back up with a big smile on his face. He looked around the group and at what he assumed would be students. His smile turned to a grin as he could sense the fear coming from them. He would have his work cut out for him to get them into combat ready state.

He heard David refer to the guy as, Lord-Director-Admiral-Commander Pine. This many titles he must be the best desk jokey and ass kisser this side of the universe. Thad did not have much respect for titles as he did for action. If your not out in front you might as well not even be there.

"Seems we have a wonderful year ahead of us." Now beaming once again with a smile. It was about this time that he took notice of a fairly nice looking woman sitting on the park bench alone. She looked the part of a student but dressed like a teacher. This spoke to him and wanted to meet another one of his comrades. His hand shot into the air and with a big wave worked to get her attention.

Harmony's gaze was drawn to the hand waving to her as she returned it and gave the man a smile. Her yellow eyes looked him over for a moment before she stood from her seat and left her data pads where they were for the moment before she moved closer. They were easily within sight, maybe a seat or two away as she walked over and sat down.

"Hi! Did you need something? My name is Harmony." She offered up in her own friendly way. She was never one to turn away the chance to meet someone new as she sat next to Thaddeaus. She made sure to take care of wearing her skirt, knees together and knocked to the side. It felt like just the act of wearing the clothing made her overly conscious of the fact that she actually had to sit properly for once.

Adi gripped Sonia's and Jack's hands tightly, afraid to approach the group of people. She was nervous when she heard the seemingly harsh PE teacher promise to whip the students into shape, the butterfly girl certainly didn't like the prospect of getting pushed harder to do better. Adi silently stepped partially behind Sonia and whispered to her "S-Sonia... can we go somewhere else?"

Adria grumpily waited at a distance from the hand holding trio. She didn't want to join the hand hold chain, but she watched Adi, noticing her sibling was being more nervous than usual.

Dylan looked nervous as he waited for the other teachers. He noticed that a secretary approached him, saying: " The others are still outside. They're at the fountain." She said.

" Very well, then. I'll go get them." Dylan answered. With that, he excused himself, and then said to the students: " Only a little longer, people. I'm going to lead them here now." With that, he walked back through the skybridge, and down the staircase. This was surely not the last day he'd be walking back and forth, he knew.

He arrived back at the atrium, and saw several of the teachers talking outside. With that, he put on a smile and walked back outside.

He first noticed the group surrounding Jack Pine. He saw Talos adressing him first. " Mr. Talos, I presume? Welcome. We needed a new principal." Then, he turned to Jack Pine. " Lord Pine. Wonderful to see you." Dylan noticed the trio, and smiled even bigger at them.
" these must be your little ones. Welcome to Osman, young people. You have an exciting time ahead!" With that, he cut back to the two men. " I don't mean to be rude, but the teacher's are needed in the atrium."

With that, he also noticed two other teachers, standing some distance further. He walked towards them, and said: " Mr. Thaddeus? Ms. Harmony? Welcome to Osman. I have to inform you that your presence is required at the atrium." He nodded and smiled, and then said: " I'll see you shortly." Dylan then walked back to the entrance, nodding at Jack and Talos as well.

"Hello Harmony, nice to meet you. I am Thad, one of the new PE teachers. Noticed you chilling by yourself and wanted to introduce myself." His smile was bright as he looked her over. He was impressed with how proper she was in this outfit. It spoke to his more formal side which in battle rarely seen any action. "You should come over to my class sometime and..." His words were cut off as Dylan walked over to him and Harmony. Only the first day and already getting distracted by school events. He gave Dylan a half wave as he walked back off.

"As I was saying, you should come over to my class sometime. Are even welcome to join in if you would like." He finished saying with a grin. A moment later he stood up and reached a hand out to Harmony like a gentleman. "Welp, lets get moving to the atrium. Must be some kind of announcement." A smile crossing his face as he looked at her.

"PE? Oh, I used to love that! We didn't have that back at the Matriarchy university, but I might stop in every so often to get a good stretch in." Harmony said with a smile as she nodded to Dylan. She stood with the help of Thad and dusted off her skirt, straightening it out for a moment before she went to collect her books and Datapads.

"Would you like to walk with me to the Atrium?" She asked of her new friend as she secured her things under her arms to carry them a little easier and walked a few steps ahead of her new friend.

"I'm going to be teaching Biology and a few other sciences like Genetics. I'm actually planning on taking a few courses in Chemistry too. I've got some work back in the labs I wanna try and put together for Section Six and I need a bit of a better understanding of Chemistry, and well it's easier for me to learn in a classroom then it is on my own."

David sighed a little on the inside as every other teacher but himself was addressed formally, though he couldn't blame the guy - he only looked old enough to be a student after all despite his best attempts to dress in a manner similar to all the other teachers, and the dark-haired man was only here until they found an available person with the proper credentials that could fill the position he currently did.

Though of course David complied nonetheless, he'd gotten somewhat distracted with socializing and understood things here should adhere to the set schedule - so the Geshrin moved as instructed but decided to just talk a tiny bit more as they all walked.

"Ah Ms. Harmony it is good to see you again, it has been a while," he began while moving up near her and Thad, though it would be understandable if their brief interaction the day everything went to shit was forgotten, there were a few more pressing issues that may have pushed it aside.

"Wasn't aware you would be teaching too, I'm sure with your brilliant scientific mind you'll do just fine - I trust you are well?"

That was a lie, he'd checked each and every person employed at the school as thoroughly as his security clearance would let him, and then some.

Talos gave a nod at the man, "Terribly sorry, that is partially my fault. I'm sure his majesty agrees that we should head over immediately and do better to be an example to the students. I will see myself to the atrium then." With that, he gave the others a wave before strolling off at a decent pace off towards the entrance. Armora giving a slight bow and "Pleasant greetings.", before also quickly catching up to Talos as they both headed towards the school.

Nora quietly cursed to herself, "Shit, first day and already late." Quickly the raven haired young woman gave a wave before booking it towards the building at a run that was far faster then a normal human. She would quickly pass up both Talos and Armora, as well as Dylan.

"Wait, Sonia isn't mine, she just rode over with us to accompany Adi.", Jack clarified to Dylan as he walked away, "Alright girls, looks like we gotta get going before you're all late." Well shit, was all the man could think as it was clear that the teachers were being waited for. "We better hurry girls, looks like we're already running late.", Jack said kindly to the three.

Sonia gave her hand a reassuring squeeze, "Looks like we are luv, will be exciting to try this whole school concept."

Ceilia kept her head down as she walked by the group, not wanting anyone to see her this way. Her eyes were still a bit red from crying, and the embarrassment of that on her first day back at the university would be too much for the young woman. For a moment that fear seemed to come true as she felt a hand on her shoulder, but when she looked, it was Neera. The lupine woman gave her a comforting hug, Neera's snow white fur almost blazing white in the sun light. "Oh hey, sorry, just having a rough time.", Ceilia said as Neera put a friendly arm around her shoulder. "Don't worry, it get's bearable after a while. Just be happy for the time you two had together, it's all we can ever do.", Neera said quietly as she gave the AI girl a warm sympathetic smile. The pair walked together towards the entrance.

Adria glared, grumbling "I'm not little." Her red tail made a few annoyed flicks as she walked inside. The red of her wings, tail, antennae, and irises went well with the red on her uniform. She fiddled with the bow on the front of her shirt, annoyed she couldn't wear her regular clothes.
Adi held on to Sonia's hand as if holding on for dear life. "I-I can show you h-how it works hon... p-probably... m-maybe... possibly...?" Adi said unconfidently, getting quieter with each word. She trembled as they proceeded to the door to go inside, admittedly not ready to go back to school even if she had everything.

A black sports car rushed in the university's parking area, ending its rapid trajectory in a parking slot with an abrupt braking.

Craig gets out from the car as fast as he could, goofely as the vehicle wasn't large enough for his stature, he was late and aware of it, and the only motivation for it was his night personal excercises in the jungle, training on avoiding obstacles in a rough terrain like that with the power armor thrusters.
He took out a bag and then walked in haste towards the university's entrance but still in a disciplined manner as usual for him, he turned back just to activate the remote locking, then continued to the entrance.

Craig didn't talked with anybody, not even with the other latecomers teachers which he was part of. The tall and well dressed figure silently went in to his way.
While entering inside the building he made a brief glance and a nod towards Talos as he passed the entrance and then went in direction of the atrium, fortunatly enough he had time during the travel to take a look on the university map to know where he had to go.

(OOC: This is a 7 person JP with @Jack Pine, @SirSkully, @HarperMadi, @SpaceEye, @SageShooter, @Leonardo)

The atrium was filling up as the students gathered for the official opening of semester. The teachers that Dylan had gathered were all getting closer to the podium. Dylan walked to Talos, who appeared to bet getting anxious, and said: " I'm afraid it's time for your speech now, Head master. Stay calm, they're students, not a mob of dangerous protesters."

Talos straightened his dress jacket he wore as part of the suit like outfit he wore, before stepping up to the podium. "Welcome one and all, I am proud to see this establishment of learning open once more, albeit if relocated. For those of you who don't know me, I am Talos, your new head master here at Osman University. I'll also be instructing classes here on military equipment.", the man of bi-colored hair said as confidently as he could. This was new, and something he'd have to sadly get used to for a while it seemed.

"Now here are the many talented teachers you'll be taught by over the course of the weeks.", Talos announced as he gestured to the gathered teachers behind him. He stood a little straighter as he prepared the introductions for the other teachers in his mind, "Dr. Bjarkmar with geo-sciences, Mr. Maverock with computer sciences, Dr. Harmony for biology, Mr. Maximus for physical education, Mr. Mulder with linguistics, and Mrs. Pine with astro-sciences."

Dylan raised his hand as his name was announced. When Talos stepped down from the podium, Dylan tapped his shoulder and smiled, before ascending to the stand himself. " Hello there. I'm Dr. Bjarkmar, you can call me Dylan or professor if you prefer. I'll be teaching you Geography and Geology the coming semester. The course will be discussed first time you enter class, as I'm sure the others will as well." Dylan looked behind him to the other teachers before proceeding.

" Also, I'm the guidance counselor for the University. If there are any questions pertaining to your school life or personal details, please do not refrain from approaching me, or any other teachers for that matter. I'm sure Mr. Talos can help you out as well. Thank you."

Dylan stepped down, nodding to Talos, and glanced over to David, who walked up next.

David was next to take the stand, offering Dylan a curt nod before taking his place in front of everybody - in the time it took David to blink his Geist had already accessed the console and made sure the speakers were correctly balanced before speaking. "So yes, greetings everyone, not Doctor or Professor but Mr David Maverock at your service - though feel free to call me whatever works best for you so long as it isn't anything too offensive," the Geshrin chuckled before moving on to his role.

"As previously mentioned, yes, I am going to be pushing information about computer sciences into your young, malleable minds - we'll get into the nitty gritty once class begins but I hope we all grow to enjoy each other's company beyond me just being to guy doing his job, thank you," the young-looking teacher finished before turning to step back from the podium, offering Neera a cheeky wink on the way down.

As it came to her turn, Harmony smiled as she stood and suddenly felt a desire for a pair of glasses to wear. She didn't need the prescription, but felt it would complete the outfit she had going on. She mentally shook the thought out of her mind though as she made the podium and turned her yellow eyes over the crowd before her. For once, her hair looked brushed and she looked presentable.

"Greetings everyone! I am Researcher Harmony Hulut Llamnel, but you may call me Doctor Hulut or Professor Hulut. As it was mentioned before, I will be teaching Biological sciences to include genetics, biology, bioengineering. I will also be attending courses here at the same time for other scientific disciplines, so if you see me about please don't hesitate to ask me a question! I look forward to seeing you all in my classes."

Harmony gave the crowd a smile and a small bow of the head before she turned to go sit back in her seat.

Thaddeaus was standing just off to the side of the stage with arms crossed. He was set to go next and was thinking over what he could say that would be meaningful to the students. When this failed to give any results he made the decision to just wing it. He watched as Harmony finished speaking and walked towards her seat. Was a good speech and hoped to do something just as good. He tugged at his shirt to ensure it was flat and smooth. Took a deep breath and walked over to give his speech.

"Let me start off by saying it is a pleasure to be standing before you. I am Thaddeaus and I will be teaching gym class. Though do not let the name gym fool you. This will not be just fun time. It will be a learning lesson. One that you can use in your day to day lives." He paused as he looked out over the crowd of new recruits. He smiled big before he continued. "Get comfortable with the person on your left and right. They will be your comrades and together you might just make it to your next class." He paused again while he tugged at his coat jacket. "Oh and make sure to bring a swim suit for the first class, I hear there will be a chance for rain." He chuckled into the mic as he remembered what was planned for the first class.

After a moment he put his hand into the air and gave a wave before making his way off stage. This was going to be the start to a wonderful year.

Rose knew she had a choice, whether to be a teacher or to be the lab head. With Sarah and her children, time was scarce, and the choice had been made a she made her way to the microphone. "My name is Rose Ironhart-Pine. It's an honor to have been offered the opportunity to teach Astrophysics, Astronavigation, and Space Flight Systems at this university as I did before the move. Until recently, I was the head of Advanced Research and Development at Section Six, and helped in the transition process to DOARAD. While my heart is heavy that I had to choose between an active role in the construction of our new and great world, and investing in its future by giving students the knowledge and skills to make a far greater impact than one woman, the choice is clear. You all, in this crowd, have the potential to build something truly extraordinary. You all have sharp minds and existing skills to be brought to the table, and every skill or idea is treasured. Listen to each other, support each other, and together, we'll make something happen."

A warm smile crossed her face as she remembered what she had said at the last speech for opening the school. "We offer opportunities to grow those talents you know you have, and turn your passions into a skill that for better or worse, will shape the future of this world, all of our homes. I promise you, you will find aptitude somewhere in our curriculum. All you need to do is be willing and eager to learn something, or to share what knowledge you have. Your educators are not infallible."

The tall, muscular and broody figure of Craig, wearing a long black coat, remained silent and well visible behind the stage where every other newcomers teachers were gathered, with calculated steps he reached the stage.

His imposive figure watched over the crowd of students, he then started to speak with thundering voice " Good morning students of the Osman University, my name is Craig Mulder, and you will call me professor Mulder 'till the end of this semester. I'll be short, first of all i'll teach you Yamataigo, Trade and Abwheran. My objective at the end of these six months is to make you at least equal as me in these languages, it will be hard and I will be strict.
Second of all I expect from you respect, many of us are not only teachers but soldiers who daily fight for your future, risking their life for your opportunities, respect and discipline before personal matters will make these months in the university simpler, for you and for us. Thank you."

He concluded his serious and clear speech, then returned to the back of the stage in his militaresque manner.

Talos had been standing to the side as the others gave their introductions, enjoying most, however Thad's worried him and he felt Craig could have been more relaxed. But, they were all exemplorary in giving who they were. Now it was time for him to give the closing statement.

"Well you heard it here," he said as he stepped back up to the podium, "There will be much to look forward to this semester, and I hope what you learn and achieved here will leave you looking forward to the semester after even. I know together, we will achieve new understandings, as well as fond memories. Thank you, and enjoy your first day." And with that, he dismissed the students to their first classes of the day, turning back to give the teachers a small smile as he stepped away. "I hope that was good Dylan, just hope the rest of this job goes as smoothly."

Dylan smiled at the man as he spoke his insecurities. But Dylan knew there was no need. " You will do great, I'm sure. And you have a talented group of people with you, i see that now." Dylan concluded as the students began to disperse. Dylan turned to his fellow teachers now and: " well, we better get ready. First semester starts in 15 minutes."

The first lesson of the day at Osman University was language, and so it was up to Craig Mulder to initiate the students in to the semester.

After the presentation the new professor quickly walked to reach his appointed classroom, he activated the holographic pannel behind his station, and put down next to his chair the bag he brought, with a thump as it reached the floor.

Then the professor extracted a small memory card from his breast pocket and inserted it in to appropriate entry of the small holographic board's computing compartment. Following it four kanji characters 邪 馬 台 語 , appeared at the center of the board in neutral grey and white colour.

Everything was ready for the lesson, Craig patiently waited for the students to arrive.

Harmony yawned a little as she stepped into the classroom and looked around. She had time between her various other classes to take up some language courses. She hated not knowing what people were saying, part of the reason she had learned the language of the Iroma while she had been stranded on their planet all those years ago, and while she wasn't great, she could still get by around them.

But a chance to learn something like Abwehran would be an interesting side project to break up her own lesson planning and classwork in chemistry. Oddly enough, she had actually taken quiet a few extra classes which to a normal person might be overload, but Harmony enjoyed the extra work. It kept her mind occupied and focused, and she found that often when she was having issues in the lab figuring something out, it helped to think about something completely different.

So there she was, happily seated in the middle of the class. Not to close to the front so as to seem like a teachers pet, but not so far away to be considered a slacker of delinquent which in the college setting seemed preposterious, but in her mind it seemed right.

Both Adi, who was holding Sonia's hand, and Adria stepped into the classroom. Adi chose to find a seat at the back, shifting around in the chair for a second before looking up. Adria sat next to Adi, but fortunately because they were in the back their large red wings wouldn't block anyone's view.

Neera entered the class room and moved to the back corner that was closest to a window, finding this class being required was boring. She already knew these, but since the class was assigned the course, she was stuck here. The Lupine woman wondered what David was doing, the drone in her ear today a bit more annoying then usual.

Nora was just behind her, always one to stick close to her aunt. The shorter woman chose to take a seat just beside Neera. Quickly with and with a bit of aid from her enhanced reflexes, set up her things for the class. After which, she gave Craig a passing look, one that lingered perhaps a bit to long as she offered a small smile.

Ceilia was very quiet as she entered, looking to find the most distant seat in the corner, before also pulling out her supplies for her studies. This was something painfully familiar, but she wanted something normal for a while, even if it hurt emotionally. At least there was dinner with her step mothers tonight to look forward to.

Armora entered with a faint pep in her step, a stuffed bear keychain handing from a notebook that was rather plain. Even after setting up, the key chain was kept close at all time, cutely stuck into the breast pocket of her uniform, the head just poking up from the pocket on her chest.

Sonia waited til they were far into the back of the class to give Adi's rear a small love pat. Giving a small peck on the cheek, she nonchalantly pulled out her things. She outwardly gave a smile, but nervous as hell about all this. She had never gone to school, so she hoped to avoid looking a fool on the first day at least.

One of the last students to enter was a tall-ish man of what looked like human descent, as he strolled into the room nonchalantly with a beanie over his similarly black hair that was somewhat shaggy to almost match the untucked uniform being worn - Hati's nose tested the air a few times before his crimson oculars confirmed that scent was who he thought it was, giving a small nod over towards Neera before deciding to settle in a seat next to Harmony simply because she seemed to have a pleasant odour and a free seat near her.

He had a certain air about him, somewhere between looking like trouble and seeming like a nice enough person as the seat on the Lorath's left was claimed with a sigh and a backpack was thrown under the desk as Hati finally settled down albeit slowly - buying the young half-wolf enough time to slip his tail out the back of the uniform's pants to avoid uncomfortably sitting on the fluffy foot-and-a-half-long limb of a similar colour to his hair.

He'd been pushed to do a little more socializing and get out among people more, this was the compromise that had been settled on and in all honesty it didn't seem like taking the occasional class would be that bad so long as nobody got on his nerves. So he stayed quiet for now and settled a little further in his seat with a creak as the lupine tail hung down lazily, waiting for class to start..

Craig remained silent, his towering figure at exception of few tall as him remained silently watching the students taking seat, his serious and searching face breafly changed only by the smile of Nora, which he responded back with another one and a wink with his cyber eye.

After all the students were ready he cleared his throat "Students, may I give you a good welcome to the first lesson of this course, for who missed my presentation my name is Craig Mulder but Mr. Mulder is what I expect you to call me", he said in a as serious as his expression tone.

The professor continued with his speech, his words sounded more as orders, his posture rigid and disciplined, no doubt this man came from the military " The linguistic course will embrace the basic and medium knowledge of Yamataigo, Abwheran, and Trade, starting precisely from the first one, and the most important." He made a brief pause "Yamataigo is the language of the Yamatai Star Empire, the largest and most powerful nation of the Kykio sector. Knowing this language is a must, whether is going to be for economy or military purposes".

Mr. Mulder's eyes scanned all the students, after a few seconds of silence he raised his arm, pointing his hand behind him, in direction of the symbols impressed on the holographic screen "Does anyone knows what these symbols means?".

Hati's red eyes narrowed at the small pleasantries being exchanged between Nora and the Linguistics teacher, he could infer what was going on but there was no point to make a big hassle about such a thing unless someone was getting hurt in the process or he had tangible evidence so the young wolf just let it pass and decided to mumble a few words under his breath, maybe loud enough for the Lorath to hear, "Kind of a cliche'd way to start~" but ultimately shrugged his shoulders as Craig's eyes cast over him, the vat-born man didn't know more than a handful of seemingly random words from the language and even then it was just the phonetics rather than the actual characters.

Harmony spared a look to her left as Hati sat next to her and let her yellow eyes take him in. She gave him a small smile and was about to say something before the teacher began to speak.

She let him finish before she raised her own hand and spoke up.

"It says 'Yamataigo' Mr. Mulder." She offered in answer. She knew the language from her time at the Matriarchy's university. They were allied at one point and believed it a good thing to know the language should the need arise to speak on equal terms.

Mr. Craig looked with a grin at the Lorath "That is an incomplete answer", he then looked at the other students "What precisely do these symbols mean, what makes up the word Yamataigo? I would like to hear the answer from others if it is known". He asked again with his serious tone.

Hati's dark eyebrows hitched up a tad out of surprise, he wasn't expecting that from the Lorath but whoever she was she now had his attention despite the male wolf's eyes quickly dragging back to the front of the class with a small shrug, "I've got no idea~ I'll hazard a guess and say one of them means..." he paused for a second, tail curling up slightly before it went back to hanging limply and Hati gave his answer.

"Well one of them has to vaguely mean language or something along those lines right? maybe when next to the others in this order it means 'The Language of Yamatai'...?" he guessed, honest to god it was just Hati trying to figure out the logic of something he knew nothing about.

Adria squinted at the symbol, but she wasn't familiar with it. "I'm not sure..." she mumbled. Adi blushed when Sonia patted and kissed her, but like Adria she didn't know what the symbol was either. Her red tail flicked, but she didn't know what the answer was. Adi kept quiet, worried she might be in trouble if she didn't have the answer.

Neera looked up at the board with a grin, "Yamatai language. That's the translation. Kono kurasu wa bubun-teki ni kantan ni mierudeshou." The wolf girl gave a slight giggle before going back to scribbling notes.

Ceilia raised an eyebrow, having known the answer as well, but just not feeling the energy to answer in her current mood. Void, this was going to be a long day, and to be honest she was unsure if she would last the whole day. Thankfully, she could vent within her thoughts, or at the very least leave this body on auto and chill in her mech for a while.

Sonia stared at the board, completely lost. Liks shit, she barely understood trade, but yamataigo was basically alien chicken scratch to her. She was pretty screwed in this class unless she somehow started picking up on things real quick. She reached over to Adi's hand next to her and nervously squeezed her hand in a comforting manner, more for herself then her girlfriend.

Armora looked at the text blankly, finding such already versed knowledge to be odd, but understood that not everyone else would know it. However, this Aberwhan language certainly sounded fascinating and figured things would be far more interesting when they got to that part of the lesson.

Nora was also well versed in this language as well thanks to Psychopomp's foresight to imprint the language due to previous deals with yamataigo speaking groups. "Sore wa mada sono yōna kyōiku o uketa insutorakutā kara manabu no ga omoshiroidesuga, watashi wa watashi no shin'ainaru obasan ni tsuyoku dōi shimasu. Watashi wa kore ga omoshiroi kurasu no morudā-shi ni naru to shinjite imasu.", Nora added after Neera with an equally feminine giggle.

Unfortunatly the teacher wasn't of the same joyful mood, he nodded towards Nora, but his serious glance was observing all of them " Indeed, is my duty to make the lessons interesting. As yours is to respect the majority of this class which doesn't have the proper knowledge. Limit yourself with your shows of padronance of such language is the best way to not demoralize your classmates." His position as master must be undiscussed, despite his feelings.

"As for you sir." He pointed to Hati, his hand now showed a little controller which was hidden by the same colour of his black gloves " Learning a language is not guessing the words, but understanding it's basics, and infact today lesson will focus on that. Precisely..." Craig redirected the arm back to the holographic screen and with an elegant and decisive wave he activated a sequence.

The four symbols split in two groups, one composed by three leaving the last alone " These symbols are called Kanji. From now on we will call them with the more accurate defenition, ideograms. The Kanji are the most complex of the three type of alphabetic groups used in the Yamataigo, taken singularly they represent words..." He clicked the symbols detached to one another, reorganizing one under another and next to each one showed in Trade how to pronounce and the meaning of each, showing how odd alone those ideograms expressed, except the last one defined as "go" which just meant language.

"But put together, they form complete different words with complete different meanings. This combinations of kanji are fixed and must be learned as they are, in our case this three Kanji forms the word Yamatai, which is a name." He paused for a moment, before continuing "These are all the Kanji that you will learn during the coming lessons." With another click an entire scheme of 300 different ideograms showed.

Mr Mulder eyes scanned each one of the students "If you think this is a lot, there are other two thousand kanji, that a regular yamataian college student knows. But this is not the course, although I will take lessons for advanced yamataian in the afternoon 2 days per week for who is interested." He remained silent for the moment.

A low growl began rumbling up Hati's throat as his red oculars narrowed on Craig, the nerve of this guy to point the young Lupine man out for making an educated guess that was almost right... it got his blood boiling - half out of him just now finding out he seemed to be the only person his age in this class that didn't have a foot hold in the language, and in extension, it made him seem dumb. Though Hati managed to swallow his pride, albeit just for the moment, as the shapes of his fluffy ears pressing out against the beanie became known to him - so the boy just shook his head slightly and went to scribble down some notes before realizing his pencil was all but a pile of dust.

A simple "Whatever~" half-heartedly left Hati's maw before he took out another pencil and continued trying to write down notes, still more than a little ticked off but trying to at least ignore that fact for now - as well as the fact Mr Mulder and Nora carried faint hints of each other's scent.

Harmony raised a eyebrow to the others as they started to speak, impressed at their grasp of the langauge clearly past her own. She had taken more of a intro course to the language it seemed back during her time in college, but it was interesting and she needed some padding credits for the next degree she was working on, so why not take some more language courses. She bit the end of her pen as she thought for a moment before she started to scribble down something on the paper before her and did her best to ignore the low grumble next to her.

She wanted to bop Hati on the head, an old habit from her time having to teach Peace the proper way to be in public, but she held back that instinct and finished up her run of notes for the moment.

Neera felt bad after seeing the reaction from Hati, and sent him a message, ["It's okay Hati, just ignore him for now. If you need help, I can help you study, I learned from grandmother. She would be willing to help as well, so no big deal, don't let him get you riled."] She said this over neural network as she gave him a small sympathetic smile, but one ear shifted as if she heard something, a faint sound Hati might hear over the connection...like that of a whisper. Clearly he could tell she noticed, but was trying to look like she was ignoring it.

Nora shrugged, not sure why it was an issue, and unable to help she had the knowledge forced on her.

Hati turned to offer the white wolf a thankful look before that sound caught his attention, making the boy turn his head further to look for whoever made it before quickly losing interest in the matter - he figured it was just some students further back chatting amongst themselves, possibly about him but he tried to push that aside too ["Guy is an asshole... but yeah I might take up that offer if you're not too busy having a life~"] Hati shot right back as a message before returning to his notes with a huff, not sure whether he should blame himself more for being inept or Craig for having a face that looked so punchable~

He did realize all the sounds must be getting annoying for those around him though, so offered Harmony a breif apologetic smile before going back to scribbling on the book on his desk.

Adi watched the board and almost subconciously accepted the hand Sonia grabbed hers with, holding on to it but not turning to glance at who was squeezing her hand. Adi wasn't having much luck with understanding the board either, the 300 ideograms that Mr. Mulder had just displayed intimidating her. Her red tail moved over and layed on top of the hand Sonia was holding hers with.

Adria looked at the board. Now there were more symbols. She was lost, she didn't understand any of the kanji on the board and wondered if she had missed something, apparently other students were already speaking Yamataigo.

Mr. Mulder sniggered silently to the faces of the many students realizing how much complex would have been such language, but he was sure that through his method this task would have been surpassed quite easely. He clicked again the remote controller and the kanji slowly faded "I don't expect that you will learn all of them right now. This was a demonstration of what we are going to study. But I will not digress any futher."

Another click and another scheme showed up, containing 46 symbols. The characters were larger and each one had the right pronunciation in trade written downside "These are the second alphabetical characters, precisely a syllabary. Called Hiragana, this characters are used to write various grammatical and function words including particles, as well as miscellaneous other native words for which there are no kanji or whose kanji form is obscure or too formal for the writing purpose." He cleared his throat for a moment and waited for a dozen of seconds before continuing.

"And now the last ones, the Katakana." He clicked again and another scheme substituted the previous one, formed by 48 symbols each one also with the right pronunciation transcripted in trade. "This is also a syllabary and it is used for transcription of foreign language words into Yamataigo, emphasis, onomatopoeia, technical and scientific terms, and for names of plants, animals, minerals, and usually for Yamataian companies." The professor glanced to his wristwatch and grinned, there wasn't much time left before the conclusion of the lesson, then looked back to the students.

"Also your names changes with Yamataigo, as it is a syllabary system, each letter must be spelled with their proper vocalization. For exemple, my name, Craig, in Yamataigo become Kureigu" As he pronounced the name, 4 katakana appeared right next to the scheme.

"Now, would you like to try to say your name in Yamataigo? From whom doesn't know it." He then moved to reach his bag with few calculated steps, just to grab a bottle of water and took a sip as he waited for the students.

"What if it's not a name that's native to Trade? Mine for instance~ well it's Hati and that's Norse so does that still translate into something different in Yamataigo or does it stay the same?" Hati asked, managing to get over what he found annoying to ask a question the wolf-boy was genuinely curious about - it was true that the name picked was from some old tale the Yamataian Trolls believed and seeing as project Fenrir was also a Norse thing there were too many coincidences for the boy to not immediately grab the name for himself.

Mr. Mulder nodded towards Hati. "Interesting question, although the majority of non Yamataigo names changes when facing the translation to the language, few of them still doesn't suffer from it. Let me see if I can find your name on the registers and I'll give you details". The professor started to check over the pad, scrolling it for pratically half a minute, even more, before finally finding him.

"Mr. Hati" He looked back at him "Before going in to the details i want to tell you that in trade the way of spelling a vocal is completely different from Yamataigo" He then followed with the vocalization of each vocal, making sound the difference between them.

"Now, back at your name, it would remain untouched, altough there isn't a Katakana precisely dedicated for the combination with T and I, still is a consonant and a vocal therefore a new rule must be used for this situation". He started to click at the datapad multiple times and then three Katakanas ハ テ ィ lighted up from the scheme and substituted the previous display of Craig's name. "The first is ハ HA, the second is テ TE and the third is ィI . You would say that it would be spelled Hatei. But is wrong, infact when the two katakana ティ are put together they can be said either TEI or TI, depending on who you are referring to." He cleared is throat again before ending the statement "So, it's Hati, as you usually say it?You affirmed it comes from the norse language, is similar to the abwheran is someways for what i remember. So indeed there are no changes, maybe just a shorter accentuation of the H, if the vocalization is the same". He took another sip and put back the bottle over the desk as it was before.

The page in-front of Hati quickly became a mess of notes not too dissimilar from if the SABER Infiltrator was mapping something out for a mission, initially he'd started writing out the whole 'HA TE' thing but put a cross through that and moved on when he found out it was almost redundant information - soon enough though the final line written simply read 'soft H' and the young wolf let his pen drop back down to the table.

"I'm no Mister, but thanks, I guess - I'll try to remember that," he spoke, knowing a lot of it would probably be forgotten until he glanced the page again, it was an entirely new language afterall and not something he was too passionate about.

The minutes passed by as others tried their names. "Well then. Time is running out. I warn you that there will be other three lessons before the exams shows up so be ready. I want you to get this books which will help you with the studies, you can also find my teachings online in the Osman University site. Have a good day students." With that he dismissed the students.

(OOC: This is a JP with @SirSkully , @Noodlewerfer and @SageShooter )

Dylan looked up from his desk where he had been sitting for the past hour. First period was a time of no classes for him, so he'd piled through the profiles of his students, to determine their names. He now stood up, grabbing his backpack, and began walking to his lecture room.

He quickly found it on the ground floor. Since he was housed on the fourth floor, he had to walk down the whole way. But it was good excersize after all. He put down his backpack on a seat, pulled out his laptop from it, and connected it to the beamer. A picture with " Introduction to Geography" with pictures of a mountain, a river valley, and a rural town next to it. It would be a few minutes before the first students would enter, so he looked over his notes the last time.

He stood up and walked to the door, waiting to greet the students. When the bell rang for the end of first period, the first students began trickling in. He greeted them softly, nodding or saying 'good morning' to some. When he saw the last students walk in, he waited for a moment, and then went back inside, closing the door. He walked to his desk, as he saw the students sitting down, and waited for them to be seated.

When they were done and had taken out their notepads, Dylan started. " Good morning everyone, welcome to Geography 101." He clicked his pointer, and the next slide came up. " My name is Dylan Bjarkmar, as you might be aware already. I will be teaching you geo-sciences, but I'm also available as your Counsellor. For now, I'll be teaching you in the basics of geography."

Dylan flipped another slide, and then began with the formalities. " First, we must take some formalities. I will take you trough the course layout and the necessary tools to complete this semester." Dylan zoomed in first on the layout page. " First of, I will tell you the goals of this course. Our main goals are of the following three forms. First: the primary goal is to help you develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places – both terrestrial and marine - and their physical and human characteristics. Secondly, we will help you understand the processes that give rise to key physical and human geographical features of the world. Lastly, we will help you develop skills to depict geographical features visually, including cartography, diagrams, photography, and Geographical Information Systems or GIS. These will be the focus of my lectures, as well as your homework." Dylan zoomed out and then onto another part. " The main source of this course and in fact all geo-sciences is the 'Geography Student Edition'. Possible are the 12th or 13th edition. My personal is the 13th, so I will maintain the setup of that one. There are also two, valuable but not mandated, sources. 'People Geography', 6th Edition, and 'Geography: Realms, Regions, and Concepts', 10th Edition. I will hand out short excerpts of these in class. There are an endless amount of more books available, but these are voluntary. A tip for you: all books are available in the Library."

Dylan then proceeded to the next slide, for his current class. " Today, I will give you an introduction to the prime concepts of geography." He pointed to the centre of the slide. " In essence, early geography was a study concerning two prime questions: 'what gives rise to geographical structures?' and 'what is men's interaction with the environment?' We will focus upon these questions the coming time, as they form the two forms of geographical study: 'physical or environmental geography', and 'People geography'. We will examine these concepts through the development of geographical theory and learn about ecology and navigation along the way." He stopped for a moment. " Any questions so far?"

Adi had plopped herself on a seat next to Sonia, watching the board. She didn't have any questions, so she stayed silent. Meanwhile Adria was somewhat relieved, seeing the pictures of geographical features that were initially on the board. Though it still sounded complicated, the photos looked more recognizable to her than Yamataigo symbols, which gave her some place to start.

As the one winged Lorath walked into the room, Harmony gave the professor a cheery "Hello!" and small wave before she headed down to her seat. A data pad set to record the lecture and a pad of paper in front of her to take her more important notes, Harmony seemed ready and waited until the lesson started by going over her own notes for her first lecture. As everything started, she put her notes away and began to pay attention. She had some knowledge of geography due to her house and her upbringing, but it never hurt to learn more and pad her credits out a little more.

Hati had strolled in with one hand covering his mouth, a small cough that had annoyed the young wolf every now and then and had reared its ugly head since last class but he just pushed it aside for now and tried to not make too much of a scene while entering - moving to sit up near the back of the room and flop down into the chosen seat with a slight thud, lupine tail dragging itself out of his uniform to hang freely as the red-eyed boy set out his datapad and then looked towards the front of the room.

His mother, who he was rather close too, was a sniper and his trade as a SABER infiltrator meant Hati always had to know the ins and outs of an A/O before heading in - so geographical studies were really nothing too new, something he could hopefully just go through for easy marks with maybe a nap or two along the way but for now he said nothing and just studied the current slide.

Dylan looked for a moment, seeing that the students were taking notes and paying attention. He turned to his presentation again, and proceeded: " If there are no questions, then let's begin this letter with the basic formula in which we do geography." He turned to a slide covering two separate maps, one filled with mountains, rivers, and clouds, the other with flora, fauna, and villages.

" There are two significant parts in which we, as a researcher, conduct our 'business'. The first way to look at a place or small area is through it's Geosphere: the accumulation of inorganic materials that make up the location, most importantly those of minerals, which itself is called the lithosphere, water sources, which is called the hydrosphere and when frozen, the cryosphere, and the gases that make up the upper layers of a planet, the atmosphere. These layers are often the very foundation for the other method to look at a location: the Biosphere."

Dylan looked around for a moment, seeing that students were taking notes hastingly and trying to catch up. " If you are worrying about your notes, please take, well, note, that my presentation will be available online, and that almost all glossary or terminology is carefully explained in a similar manner in your book." Dylan smiled for a moment. " If you wonder why I am speaking then, I will say that I am offering you commentary and more elaborate explanations than what are given in your books. That is the main advantage."

Dylan quickly turned back, but made a final remark: " Also, do not hesitate to interrupt me between slides." He continued:

" The biosphere is the collection of every living part of a location, most important those of the flora, which is the plantlife, and the fauna, the animal life. The range of `fauna and flora is an intricate interaction between organic material, mineral availability, and environmental influences like weather patterns, water resources, and layout."

" Both these spheres, as they are called, are part of what is called an ecosystem. Simply speaking, Ecosystems are the communities of living organisms with similar environmental preferences, that interact with their environment. Ecosystems are kept in control by both biotic and abiotic principles. Energy flow from plantlife to herbivores and onto carnivores is an example of a biotic system. The principles of erosion and mineral flow through soil are abiotic systems."

" Perhaps this is a large chunk for you to consume, however I will bear in thought that I do not require you to understand the principles of Energy flow and erosion...yet. We will examine these principles in a bird eye's view, but they are not treated until the end of semester. For now, I simply require you to understand what makes up the Geosphere, and the Biosphere. We will examine how these two interact shortly."

Dylan clicked unto his last slide, where he had taken the liberty of making up some questions he had variated from book examples. " For now, I would like for you to make the following query. You will make a table, divide them between geosphere and biosphere, and then differentiate each of these words to fit them in the right column. I will do the same on the back of the board. If you have trouble reading this, Example 3b of Chapter 1 is similar to this and has some of the word that are also on here."

Dylan moved to the back of the small rollable board that was in the right corner of the class, taking marker in hand. He watched the students as they made up the tables in their notebooks, or so he hoped, and then made a last reminder: " I will give you three minutes, fill in as many as you can."

Harmony listened to the lecture and still took notes regardless. It helped her to pay attention better. But this was all thankfully things she had plenty of experience with. After all, her people did live within nature. For the three minutes given, she split the words apart and put them in the different columns where they belonged. It was easy for the girl and before the three minutes were up, she was already done.

Adi made a table in her notes, thinking and being careful to choose the right columns. She worked through the words slowly, making sure she was putting them in the correct place. As a result, the very-long-haired girl got every word she wrote down right, but only finished categorizing about half the words before time was up. Adria, on the other hand, was able to fill in most (but not all) of the words on her table. However, a number of them were in the wrong column, and most of her mistakes were plants that were placed in the geosphere column.

Hati's columns were perhaps a little messy but the wolf wanted to make the most effective use of the time as he could, being one of Saber's Phalanxes and somebody who needed to know everything about their AO meant all these terms and such weren't anything new to him - he spent the full three minutes scribbling down names and scratching them out until everything was where it was meant to be, pen being dropped back down to the table with a satisfied huff three seconds before the timer went off.

Dylan stopped as the timer slowly ended. He had written the answers on the back of the board within one minute, but to appear as involved as his students, he had remained behind the board for another 2 minutes. He stopped and went to the front of the board. " Time's up." He said, as his students placed their pens down. " For you who have completed the task on time: well done. But you will have to test that speed against the things you did right." With that, he turned the board. He had filled in the two rows as his students had done, meticulously looking at the specific way that words were said. " We don't have time to visit all the things on the board, so I will give you some of the important topics that many people do wrong on their first attempt. Don't worry, I was one of you once."

He stepped towards the board, and circled some of the words from both rows. " For instance, some of you may have placed hydrosphere under the Biosphere, since it involves aqueous environments with plant- and wildlife. But strictly speaking, the studying of the hydrosphere does not involve organisms. It is only the studying of hydroactive variables, such as sedimentary flow, seafloor spreading, the water cycle, and mineral interaction. The hydrosphere has a close relation to marine biology, of course, since these variables directly influence the biospheres of oceans, rivers, and lakes."

He then stepped over to the other column. " Others of you may have placed the following items in the geosphere column. Fossilisation, and biopoesis. Fossils are perhaps the putrefied remains of ancient organisms, but they are strictly speaking still part of the biosphere, as they are dead, not lifeless. Fossils give us an indication of the age of organisms, clues about evolution, and a fundamental understanding of the building blocks of life. As is evident, fossils from bacteria have shown that ancient organisms were governed by the same principles as ours today, and may have needed the same environmental conditions to thrive."

He stopped at biopoesis. " Perhaps many of you got this wrong because you didn't know what it means. If you put it in the Biosphere because it said 'bio', it's not much better. The whole theory is quite large to discuss now, and I will disclose it when we come upon Chapter 5 that deals with it. The short answer is: biopoesis is the theory that living organisms arose from organic material that was not alive. It is also called Abiogenesis, opposite of biogenesis, which says that live formed from simpler living organic materials, most likely prokaryotes."

Dylan looked at the clock as he saw he had only five more minutes. He came to the last slide of his slideshow. The Homework. He knew that students dreaded it, so he started: " This last slide shows my advice for your home student for these courses. As you know, I can't obligate you to make these assignments or read these paragraphs, but I strongly urge you to do this. It is the best way to process the matter and reach each of the learning goals. This works better then rushing through it before an exam, in my experience."

" You might notice I do not make you do all exercises of a chapter. I make what I hope is the best collection of assignments to get you trough the matter and towards each goal. Also, I urge you to read the chapters I list for our next lesson, so that you are prepared before entering this class."

Just as he finished, he heard the school bell. He nodded, and looked to his students. " That is all. Class dismissed." He looked as he saw several students close their work and got their bags. " I will see some of you at your counselor's meeting this afternoon. Take care." With that, he walked to the door and opened it, as a mirror version of how he opened his class. He smiled and nodded as the students walked back out. Within a minute, the class was emptied out again. He looked back to his desk, as he saw other students making their way to the class. He walked to his desk, unplugged his laptop, and packed it back in his suitcase.

He walked out of the room towards his office. Now it was time to prepare for student-counselor meetings. He had noticed some of them in his class. It would be time to get to know them better.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back