• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP Osman University: Something is a Mist

Morrs13

Inactive Member
RP Date
RP Date 6/4/YE42
RP Location
RP Location Sirris VI - Obsidian City – Osman University
1:00 pm Osman University, Building B (Social Studies)
An air of uneasy tension had fallen over the school and city after the death of Jack Pine and an uncertain future before the NDC. The large campus was mostly deserted with many classes canceled, most of the students and facility having been sent home. There was still some activity though, some several new hires to the teaching staff having started just before the tragedy the along with some students chose to stay with a smaller selection of core classes while also expected to help around the campus.

One of the new Professors, Andres Jansson, had procured a collection of Gunja artifacts from a small tribe near Obsidian City. Having gone to great lengths to procure the space and staff to help study the religious and cultural significance of the items, Jansson had been involved with every step of the process of packing, transportation, and unloading.

Unfortunately, the interim principal Noam Charron had disrupted the plans by sending home the entirety of Jansson's staff forcing him to ask for volunteers from the remaining students. On the day the shipment arrived the professor had gathered his volunteers to unload and bring the item to the university's largest examination room.

Jansson supervised the students in a relaxed manner gently reminding them how careful they needed to handle the artifacts and how important they were to the University.

Last edited:
Andar had opted to stay, despite protestations by his mother. It was important for him to learn how to be on his own and to not come across as 'flighty' in the face of challenges. That's what he thought, anyways. His sometimes bodyguard, Enki, shared his mother's opinion - but she was respecting his wishes and staying out of the way.

"Professor?" he asked, one of his dog-like ears twitching a bit in response to some nearby sound, "where do you want this box? It says - ah - 'Gunja Artifact C-231' "

The box itself was a large one, causing him to keep his legs wide and his back bent more than he'd like to stay in for long.

"Huuuuuuh, why did I have to skip lunch today?" Roland moaned, carrying a box full of Gunja spearheads. While the spearheads themselves weren't heavy, the specially sealed box had some heft to it. Roland today wore a green shirt and brown pants, but today did not wear his hat. Didn't feel right considering what had happened to Jack Pine. He'd prefer to stay inside but he needed the extra class credit, so here he was shuffling boxes about on a empty growling stomach.

"Yo Andy, you alright there?" asked the cowboy. Andar was good people. Excitable and honest. Roland liked him. Maybe even thought of him as a little brother. But mostly he appreciated Andar helping him with some math equations. "Remember to lift with your legs!"

It wasn’t hard for the undercover agent to note the tension in the environment of the school. Her boss wanted her to be aware of riding tension and perhaps aggression. She does acknowledge that this would be an extra burden considering her previous focus on investigating drug use. She thought that with most of the students and faculty being sent home, things would be easier. She’d have a smaller group to keep an eye on. The canceled classes meant she’d be out a lot more too, but she knew if she didn’t volunteer to help it would look suspicious.

So it was that she found herself carrying boxes, unlike the other two boys she carried boxes of Gunja clothes, something that was probably lighter than the other items. “Wise words… can hurt your back if you don’t.” She commented as she turned to the professor “where do you want this? “ She asked him.

For those who frequented the university, the sounds emanating from the music wing would be familiar. Kolorsha had made it an almost regular practice to stay after classes and even some weekends, to show up and utilize the school's instruments. Even the recent attacks hadn't been enough to keep the equine musician away, despite the fact that her own classes had mostly been cut.
Still, there was a silver lining in that, as since the school was nearly empty, she didn't need to use the sound dampening field, also she left the door open as well, so those few that did need to come to the university could hear the sound of music echoing nearby.

Jansson looked to Andar seeing the heavy box he was carrying “Uh, that’s supposed to go to examine room One table C. Don’t worry about unpacking Andar I’ll take care of that tonight.” Turning to Roland and reading the label “Take this one to the same room but it goes on table A.” his tone polite and professional that gave off the image of an old pro. “Those clothes go in the same room, Ayla, but on table F.”

“Looks like you could use some help there, Andy.” A deep booming voice came from behind the dog ear Minkan, before he could respond the new law professor Kato Otieno, a tall dark-skinned male Abwehran with grey, white hair, plucked the box from him with little effort. “Why don’t you show me where Jansson wants this and from there I can help with the rest?” Otieno asked smiling.

Following the sound of music Sandra Wojewódzki, the new medical professor a female Minkan, poked her head into the room Kolorsha before walking in and crossing her arms with a smile on her face “Sorry to interrupt but that’s a beautiful piece you’re playing.”

Nora unlike others, carried two boxes of the heavier artifacts with seemingly unnatural ease. The dark ravenette didn't seem to mind either, having worn her outdoors wear today. "These need a destination as well, and I can handle most of the heavy lifting you need teach.", She said waiting for directions.

Kayla on the other hand, seemed as professionally cool as ever. The class president handling the list and archiving as requested. Afterall, clerical work was part of her normal agenda anyways. Brushing blonde hair away from her face, she sneezed from all the dust in the air with a small diminutive squeak. Something she'd have to annoyingly brush off her immaculate school uniform, complete with rep armband later.

Pausing, the woman pulled a food bar from her dress jacket pocket, before unwrapping and popping into Roland's mouth. "Maybe you should learn to actually take care of yourself Roland. Lady Nora is spoiling you with cooked meals I bet.", Kayla said chastizingly.

Adria slowly carried boxes around, one at a time. She tried to avoid anything that mentioned her dad, but he was everywhere in some form. Jack Pine, Jack Pine, Jack Pine... Hard to avoid seeing or hearing mention of the lord who was just assassinated. She was trying to distract herself by bringing artifacts to the examination room, but if anything, she was getting too distracted from the artifacts to do so.

Adi mostly sat huddled up in the corner. She had really only come because Adria was there. She couldn't even bring herself to help.

Chlorate was more lively, despite not being alive ironically. And more noisy. The princess robotically carried heavy boxes to the room without having any conversations to start. Her clanky feet got noticeably louder whenever she picked up something heavy.

Kolorsha looked up as she heard someone approaching. She smiled and nodded at the visitor. "It is indeed! Unfortunately, it's origins have been long lost to time. Shame that, as it's a rather complicated piece, like the few others that are attributed to the same composer..." the musical mare explained.

Bushing the dark green hair away from her face Wojewódzki entered the room admiring the equipment “That’s a shame, I take it this is the music room.” The woman said walking up to Kolorsha and reaching out her hand “I’m Sandra Wojewódzki by the way, I was hired on to fill the medical professor position before everything shut down.”

“Nora, Chlorate could you take the heavy boxes to the shelves in the back of the room, we’ll be setting them up for examination later.” Jansson said without turning most of his attention to keeping the chaos of unloading the artifacts as ordered as he could “Adria” He called softly “Would you minding helping Kayla with cataloging the boxes we’ve already brought in?” Moving along the edge of the hall the teacher checked the large painted letters on the side of each box and directed the volunteers he had yet to speak, taking only a few minutes since there were so few of them and no one else in the hallway. After completing that task, he stopped next to Adi and kneeled down “I imagine you’re not doing alright, do you want to sit down in one of the chairs in the room, I’m sure it’d be more comfortable?” he asked.

Otieno smiled as he headed into the room and placed the heavy box on the examination table leaving it unopened, knowing the artifacts would be removed from their confines at a later in the day. Leaving the room, he spotted Zach as the Separa'Shan slithered from the opposite end of the hallway that everyone else was coming “Hey Zach, you here to help?” the Abwehran shouted over the cores of the crowd. Zach stopped looking between the Law professor and the bustling activity unsure “Umm sure.” The large Pythus squeaked out as he moved next to Otieno “Great, follow me!” Otieno said slapping Zach’s back.

Ayla nodded her head in response to take the box she was carrying to examine room 1 table F. Once more the Undercover agent lifted the box and turned herself around so that she could take the boxes o clothes to the correct room and table. She both saw and heard the people around her, and as she walked, she passed by the music room where she saw people, including Kolorsha. She’d remembered how some of the students she became friends with had been disturbed that she hadn’t asked Kolorsha for an autograph, but her job had kept her busy, though she made a mental note to get her autograph later.

“Examine room 1…” She mumbled to herself before she spotted it with her Faun eyes. “ah, there’ she said as she adjusted her path to take the box she carried into the room. Inside it, she saw the tables set up, with the letter tags, so she kept her eyes on the F tag and set down the box. She stretched “not bad for a Faun hehe.” she said to herself before she turned and walked to the door.

Throughout her journey, her hoofed feet made sounds as it made contact with the floor.

Despite Kayla's stealth food bar attack, Roland managed to maintain his balance. "Shanks", he said, as he chewed on the green apple flavored bar. Swallowing his food, he grinned shamelessly at Kayla. "First off, warn a guy before you stab him with a food bar. Second, why does your food bar taste like Stym? C or Third or whatever, hell yeah she's been fattening me up! She's been teaching me how to cook too." Turning to Nora, he gave her a wink, hoping to cheer her up.

Reaching the examination room 1 he deposited the Gunja spearheads on Table A, passing by Ayla. Hearing her muttering, Roland smiled and flashed an OK sign with his hand. It was goofy, but people could use a laugh nowadays.

Noam navigated through the near-empty halls of the University towards one of the larger examination rooms. An air of uneasy tension had fallen over the school and city after the death of Jack Pine and an uncertain future before the nation. “Why me?” The tall, lanky, blue-skinned Senti man was thinking while he wiped the sweat from his nervous brow Noam, despite no management experience, had somehow been chosen to act as the Interim Principal for Osman University while Talos was away dealing with issues of state. Stopping at the end of the hall from the examination rooms he paused, and he peeked around the corner watching as a few students and professors were busy taking the Gunja artifacts into the examination room.

“How did I let him convince me this was a good idea.” He asked himself, thinking back on the presentation Jansson had done, using phrases like 'first of its kind' and 'a landmark achievement for them both as well as the school'. Everything had been fine so far with the transport of the artifacts to the University, but Noam could not escape the anxiety that something would go wrong and the thought of the humiliation it would bring made him sweat even more. The Senti pulled back behind the wall and closed his eyes then taking a deep breath, a loud bang from down the hall startled him. Jumping into the hallway Noam saw that it was a large box that had been dropped by a Pythus student that was holding his hands over his face embarrassed at the spilled contents of an ancient painted mask made of bone, wood, and feathers.
“What do you think you’re doing!? Do you understand what would happen if these artifacts are damaged? The whole university would be humiliated and not to mention the diplomatic incident!” Noam’s face was red with anger and his voice reflected it as he approached the student as Zach stumbled back into Otieno almost causing the Abwehran “Easy there, Zach.” Otieno said almost dropping his own wooden box.

“Principal Noam, I wasn’t expecting to see you.” Jansson said calmly obviously trying to deescalate the situation as he walked over to mask and picked it up to examine it “Doesn’t look like there was any damage, what can I do for you, Noam?”
“I want this student sent home immediately.” The Senti said his voice finally lowering “Come on Noam don’t you think that’s a little extreme?” Jansson asked.
“I don’t think it is Professor Jansson.” The Principal answered

“Be reasonable, let’s talk about this Noam” the Minkan said as he motioned for the other to continue moving the artifacts. Otieno nudged Zac with his free arm and whispered to him “Why don’t you go help Kayla with archiving the stuff we already brought in?”

“Sure, I’ll do that now.” Zach said his face bright red from embarrassment, the Pythus slither into the room and greeted Kayla then asking her where he should begin.

"Affirmative," Chlorate replied. She robotically turned and started carrying a heavy box to the shelves. The weight made her metal feet even louder, it was a good thing there were no artifacts in the way on the floor as they would surely be crushed into dust instantly under the force of her clankers. Arriving at the back of the room, she looked at the box, and then at the shelf. Her motors whirred as she placed the heavy box on the shelf, the android assuming that's where he meant he wanted them to be put.

"Yeah... Sure..." Adria sighed. The blonde butterfly walked over to Kayla, her long tail dragged on the ground. "How many boxes are left?" the grumpy princess asked Kayla blankly.

Adi shook her long-haired head at Jansson. She didn't care that it was uncomfortable, she wasn't comfortable anywhere knowing her father couldn't be there. She scooted further into the corner, waiting for Adria to be done. It didn't help that her insectoid antennae could hear Principal Noam yelling at someone for accidentally dropping a box. Well, at least she might not get yelled at too if she just did nothing.

“Indeed, it is. Kolorsha Tasvanni, pleasure to meet you, Sandra” the musician replied, grasping the proffered hand. “It is far from the only one, a lot of history seems to have been lost from the early times of settling this galaxy, the names of many composers among them. I’ve done a bit of digging with little success, though I hope to find something eventually. Even though their names are lost, their music survives” Kolorsha finished.
“One of the new hires, hmm? Here’s hoping the university opens fully back up sooner than later! So, what brings you here today, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“I wanted to see the Gunja artifacts that Professor Jansson is studying,” Wojewódzki answered. The sound of shouting from the hallway grabbed her attention and investigating the source she moved to the door to see the interim principal Noam and Jansson over the dropped mask. Sighing she turned back to Kolorsha “I heard Noam was hot-tempered but acting like that isn’t going to make him any friends.”

After Jansson returned after he successfully calmed down Noam, the history professor's demeanor had changed to a more professional but distant attitude with the students and his fellow faculty as he oversaw the rest of the unloading of the artifacts. When it was complete, he wished everyone well and assured that each student would receive extra credit or written praise for their work but aside from that he ushered them out with little fanfare. He stayed though to unpack, inspect, and catalog the most important items.

Later that night.

Jansson was still in the examination room sitting on the far side furthest from the door, he was glad for the massive space, storage shelves designed to provide maximum safety for all sorts of items, and lab tables that had drawers that were stocked with high-quality tools the room came equipped with. That and knowing he may be one of the first outsiders to be allowed to study these cultural artifacts almost made him forget his anger with Noam for his outburst earlier that day “What right did he have to speak to him like that.” The Professor thought to himself “His position as the interim principal be damned, we all know he’s completely unqualified for the job.” He said out loud looking over a micro-bladed spearhead that had been used as a ceremonial tool centuries ago.

Just then the lights went out “What the hell?” he said and reached into his pocket for his phone to call University Security before he could call a bright translucent orange mist began rising through the floor vents and covering the floor. Looking around the room began Jansson began to feel dizzy and stumbled back into the table as he tried to stand. The loud bang of the door being slammed open drew the Professor’s attention to the front of the room “Who’s there?” he shouted the fear in his voice apparent. A figure entered the room slowly Jansson was too disoriented to make out any details, but he could tell it was getting closer and his fear growing with it. As it got closer he could see how tall the figure was compared to him and that it was wearing a mask shaped like the head of Sirris VI’s top predator animals along with a dark purple robe along with a long spear in its hands.

“Stay back!” Jansson shouted but the figure ignored him and when it was within a few feet of him it raised its spear to strike. Jumping out of the way Jansson dashed around the room but the figure followed close behind. Reaching and grasping for anything he could the professor threw the artifacts and lab equipment at his pursuer, but it did not affect the figure. Stopping to turn over a table but the figure jumped with an unearth grace and landed on top of Jansson pinning him to the ground and raised its spear to strike again as he cried for mercy.

The next day.

In the morning, the arriving students and faculty would find a small group of law enforcement officials at the University to greet them.

Last edited:
Roland's heart sank a little as he saw the lawmen on campus. He wanted to run and try and find all his friends. But he schooled himself and approched the nearest police officer. "Excuse me, can you tell me what's happened?" Through it all Roland took glances at the crowd of faculty and students, looking for familiar faces.

Kolorsha was frankly surprised at the law enforcement presence at the university, they appeared to be stopping anyone from entering building B. What had happened there, of all places?
She approached the officers, one of the few among the growing crowd of students and staff, about to ask what had happened when one of the students did so, the musical mare waited with the others for an answer.

One of the officers, a short potbelly fellow obnoxiously chewing gum, looked at Roland after he asked his question “Well kid there was a break-in and attempted murder last night, lucky no one died but the victim was transported to the hospital around midnight last night. Now if you excuse me.” As soon as the officer finished, he motioned for the dog-eared student and mare to move on. A few minutes later an announcement came through the school’s intercom system “Attention student and faculty please come to Gym 1 for further details on last night's events.”

Silently and without anyone noticing, she used her Mindware and tapped into the secure ISD network to find out more information. Though this meant she needn’t to go with the other students to Gym 1, to keep her cover in check she followed along silently. With an attempted murder, I should be extra cautious. I should make sure Zeke and Rihanna know I am ok. She thought silently as she followed along.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back