• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Ottyo Principality

CadetNewb

Hey, @Wes, I wanted to ask if I could receive the FM banner for the Ottyo at this point now, or if there are any additional tasks I need to complete first. The reason for this is that I wish to ensure the Ottyo's quality and help to keep their portrayal consistent In-Character as NPC Antagonists. It's been a major issue for the Mishhuvurhtyar over the years in how they can be very inconsistant, even if they're from the same group. My role would be to hear what people would like to do with them and offer advice. For an example, if someone wanted to blow up 100,000 of them by doing X, I'd say Y or Z is the very best way to go about it since the Ottyo would do 1, 2 and 3.

I do emphasize that, ultimately, GMs would have the final word on what would happen in their plots. Again, I would only offer feedback, suggestions and advice.

Wait, we get banners for the NPC antagonists we've created? ^-^

Traditionally? No. However, I'm thinking this may actually be a much better way to do it. If you did so with your Elfrin for an example, you could more easily listen to what GMs plan to do with them, and give feedback and advice regarding it.

I don't feel like it's at all appropriate to start handing out FM banners for factions specifically designed to be "NPC only forever," which is the terms under which the Ottyo were originally approved.

You may feel that way Raz, but the fact cannot be denied; in-character consistency is a major concern for all NPC factions, including Ametheliana's creations as well. The Mishhuvurthyar have suffered from this to the point that when Wes designed a new antagonist, he decided they'd be of a nature where it doesn't even matter. Now we have the Rixx. However, having the same nature as the Rixx simply doesn't apply to many NPC factions or antagonist factions.

Additionally, I do point out that the powers of an NPC FM is more limited than a PC FM by nature - GM do not have to accept our advice and suggestions, even if we protest.

Additionally, I do point out that the powers of an NPC FM is more limited than a PC FM by nature - GM do not have to accept our advice and suggestions, even if we protest.

I would beg to differ and have been told by Wes I have the same rights as an FM in protecting the faction's image, etc. Just saying this is wholly inaccurate.

Was just giving my $0.02 because you posted this as a public thread rather than handling it via PM.
This is blatantly untrue. GMs are supposed to always listen to FM guidance regarding setting elements. GMs who refuse advice and act contrary only create problems.

Just thought I'd clear up that tidbit of disinfo you decided to post. Beyond that, I don't have anything more to say regarding your original proposition so please don't prompt me to reply. L8r, bud.

I was actually under the impression that NPC factions didn't have as many rights, and that GM plots had priority because, well, no interfering with plots and all that. If that's the case, and you have FM powers over the Elfrin, shouldn't you have the banner and all the other rights for them too Ame?

I think because less info is required for them than a playable faction requires, the "reward" of having a banner is not as worthwhile. Besides, if everyone that made an NPC faction or took one up as manager of them had a banner, it would be a little disrespectful of them towards the holders of playable faction banner(s). I can bust out an NPC enemy in under 48 hours if I want (might time myself for one of these new ones) but Gunsight1 took a few years to make a playable faction. If I made a playable faction it would take a lot more effort on my part and the banner would be necessary as a "reward" for the time and energy I put into it, the time and energy it takes supporting new players, as well as the time and energy it takes to GM/ oversee plots.

Banners aren't there for GMs to know who to go to for what, they're there for players, especially new ones, to know who to go to for what. GMs should be aware enough of their surroundings to know what belongs where and to whom.

My bad - I should have been more specific. It's really not the Banner itself that's on my mind, but whether or not the person that made the NPC Faction should have access to the FM Forums in order to maintain consistency and coordinate with GMs who wish to use them.

You'll have to ask Wes about that. Whenever people have wanted to use the NPC enemies I've made, they've PM'd me, asked Wes, or talked to me about it in voice chat. Making yourself available (not saying you don't) goes a long way.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back