• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: Lazarus "Perfect"

OsakanOne

Retired Member
YE-26, Unknown Day, Classified Location, 6:19pm

The two walked down a corridor together, its walls plated edge to edge of metal with inlets, pipes and grates like the exterior of a starship hull. Separating them was a medical bed with a large container strapped to it. Within, some sort of appendage that had bonded to an amputated Lorath hand, suspended in orange liquid. Rippings of a Star Army of Yamataian uniform.

“Doctor…?”

“Kaou. Doctor Kaou Renata.​

Kaou marched spiritedly, pale knuckles white as she gripped the bed adjusting for its wonky trolly wheels. Her eyes twinkled brilliant blue with a kind of mischief only older women knew as marked by the folds around her eyes, her lips drew into a giddy smile as if she’d been propositioned by someone she’d only read about in magazines. From the looks of things she hadn’t slept in days.

“You call that a survivor?”

“A few cells are still alive: Its more than I need.”

“How did you manage to identify it?”​

The two shuffled into a cramped elevator, Kaou’s finger to her lips before she selected a sequence of buttons, slid her identity card around her neck into a slot in the wall and pulled on a large red handle marked ‘emergency’.

The lights sunk into dark red in the metal box as a klaxxon sounded and their descent began. She was trying not to laugh, fingers in her ears as the cord of her ID badge connected her to the wall, forcing her to lean awkwardly.

“The supercomputers tripped haywire when we tried to run the identifier so we’ve had to simulate and do things the old fashioned way! Where the hell did you find it?!”

“I can’t tell you. What I can tell you is you’ll be receiving the remains of a second sample in the next thirty days.”

“What??”

“I said you’ll receive a—”​

The colonel frowned sourly as the red shifted to a brilliant greenish blue as the klaxxon fell to silence. The floors were now being counted with strange letters and minus numbers, as if the counter didn’t know how to handle what was happening.

“The universe might be a much much smaller place than we thought.”

“What do you mean?”

“A person normally has around 19,000 protein coding genes depending on the cell, right? Our friend here has 200,000.”

“So it has a unique genetic origin. But it is genetic.”

“Sort of.”

“The hell do you mean sort of?”
The elevator came to a firm stop that rattled all inside, the doors rolling open as Kaou extracted her ID badge from the slot in the wall. A subtle adjustment to her glasses.

“That’s what I’d like to confirm. We’ll know in a few hours.”​

YE-26, Unknown Day, Classified Location, 4:21am

The Colonel sat nursing her coffee, uniform loosened.

“Its been a week,” she said in a low gruff voice” What did you get out of the simulator run?”​

The room was painfully warm, fanning herself as she watched Kaou pacing back and forth, worrying herself to death.

No response.

“Do you need a minute? How long have you been awake?”

“Its… The… T-The assemblage molecules are different”​

Kaou was a visible mess. The glint never left her eye, though.

“I’m a colonel not an engineer.”​

“Okay, okay… Look. We…”​

Kaou began drawing something on her whiteboard.

“We, We’re made of nucleotides. That’s the stuff that holds all those little rods in the big curly whirly thing together. We call our genome.”

“I said I’m a colonel, not an idiot. When did you last sleep?”

“No, I … Look. This is some sort of synthetic polymer that’s naturally perpetuating the same way DNA does. Except that it doesn’t.”

“So this thing is plastic? Is that what you’re saying?”
The colonel's expression suggested she wasn't happy with the knowledge gap. Fingers through her short cropped hair, a long ragged sigh. Both had a mutual understanding: They were both exhausted.

“Well, our dna is like a ziploc bag. You have to unzip it to show the code and you can only read where the zipper is.”

“Right.”

“Our friends here forks and splits and rejoins and assembles into geometric patterns with natural decision trees, logic-loops, stuff like that.”

“So they’re software?”

“Sourcecode. They’re Source. Code.”​

The Colonel bent over, glancing at the big plaque on the far door behind her.

‘Sourcian Genome Research Project’

“I had to write something down. So the other departments stop wandering in and asking for our equipment. When we’re formally a Type-3 research project, we get autonomy. Though I’d like to keep you onboard.”
Slowly with a coy expression the colonel turned about-face to see Kaou again, brows aloft as she wrinkled up her nose with a matter-of-fact expression.

“Your peers would hate you for it. I should give you a commendation in original thinking. Have you considered a career in bureaucracy?”

“I think our mutual friend almost certainly has.”
The thinly veiled insult disappeared into the void.

“You think they were a pencil pusher?”

“Well, a lifetime of memory and experience for me and you is about 1-2 petabytes - a million gigabytes, right?” Kaou smiled.​

The whiteboard was squeaking again, writing the number of zeros out just to make it clear how big the differences were.

“But our genome stores 1.5GB of data around 100 trillion times identically. …Our friend here only needs 1% of their genome for perpetuation and the remaining 99% is only patterned, not identical. That’s about 63,000 people’s worth of experience if our friend is 140 pounds. Statistically speaking, they’ve been everything.”

“…Huh.” The Colonel watched, still fanning herself with her cap.

“It gets better.”
The colonel was doing her best to seen unimpressed at this point but there was clear concern beneath it.

“Thrill me.”

“Our genome has a shelf-life of 400 years and disintegrates in space or under radiation.”

“Okay..”

“Our friend here is millions, millions of years of years old.” Kaou set her hands together. Eyes down for a moment as she tried to steady herself, in the nicest way she knew how: “If… You don’t mind me asking, where did you find it?”

“I’d love to tell you, but I’m afraid that’s classified. Please stop calling it your friend.”

“… Sorry. I’m just excited. We’re… Actually still rebooting the simulator. It crashed. Again. Some of their expectations of how fundamental forces of our universe work are off, but they adapted pretty quickly and we had to account for that. They might be from somewhere else all together for all we know. That’s why we want to put it through the nano-reactor. We’d like to compile from genome and see what happens.”

“Is it safe?”

“We used this thing to determine Vayate, didn’t we?” Kaou seemed somewhat smug.​

“Right, right. You don’t get this close to a star because you want a tan. If it even looks scary, we can turn it into catfood.”

“…And you didn’t choose Occhestian engineers because you believe in equal employment opportunity. I’m in the dark down here, what’s going on outside?”

“The situation is rough, but we’re moving towards a resolution.”​

Kaou’s shoulders visibly slumped.

“I don’t particularly like being thought of as a terrorist because of separatists. I trust in our Destiny. She knows what she’s doing.”

“And the situation in Yugumo?”

“Rumor says independence. I’m hoping this might be the first step toward undoing Yamatai.”

“For what they’ve done to us - for what they’ve done to us, we all do.”

“Who knows, maybe our friend might be involved.”​

YE-28, Unknown Day, Classified Location, 9:44am

“Finally. Finally," Kaou panted.We found our decryption key.”​

The two hadn't seen eachother in quite a while. The colonel noted she was going gray.

“What do you mean?”

“Its been a year and the nano-reactor has been nothing but false starts. There’s like a key encode needed to ignition-start the genome after it becomes dormant. Some sort of controller that gets the organism started, like a microprocessor.”​

Kaou funbled through her collection of ID badges to slide something into her desk, turning her display about and began punching in numbers.​

“And you’ve found it?”

“You’ll flip when you find out where.”

“Alright, surprise me.”

“In the head of a Yamataian girl.”

“…But this is above anything even pnugen were—”

“No no, there was some object in her brain. Someone was transporting the key encode, hidden in a neural-implant. Its like a piece of living super-hard glass the size of a marble that learned how even the Yamataian body works, how n ot to be discovered by their ridiculous anti-modification adaptations, made its own ADAPTATIONS to her and stayed hidden for years, maybe even decades inside her and taught hew new survival behavior she couldn’t have learned on her own. Its incredible.”​

The Colonel noted the photograph of the skull and the girl with the green hair shown, as well as the photograph of the consulting doctor they had brought in who she'd seen walking through the complex once or twice privately -- a Dr. Miles Gunn.

"I really can't stand that guy... Doesn’t this strike you as at least a little dangerous?”

“Provided we don’t start copying it and sewing those things into people, we should be fine.”

“…So when do you run the reactor?”

“We started about an hour ago.”

“You need authorization to—”

“I got the go-ahead.”

“From who?”

“Something called Herald. I've never heard of them but they satisfied the conditions of the one-time-pad and all the paperwork was filled out correctly.”

"What the fuck is Herald?"​

YE-28, Unknown Day, Classified Location, 12:01am

The two watched the amber bauble floating in the liquid - neither at the top, nor the bottom.

“Is there any danger?”​

“We did base-pair testing months ago. You couldn’t have found us a nicer sample.”

“I hope Mrs. Nice is friendly or they’re getting recycled.”

“Activate it.”​

The two watched the machine in action: A series of cubic dots moving along the edges of the cylindrical tube. Geometric ants that assumed positions and then, the tube - filling with clear water and glitterous shining flakes began to take form from a fragile whirl of shape inside.

“Linkage processing…”​

It began at the crown and worked its way down. Like a bundle of grapes, branching from the ball: tendrils sweeping and flowing like living glass: gellatine liquid wrapped over. The being within was partially transparent.

The Colonel never having seen anything like this in his life watched in awe as new life happened before her very eyes.

The liquid was changing color now: Water added as the boarder between it and the clear tube shifted, forming and bonding as harder parts like bones of iron filings or jagged crystal began to take the shape of a skeleton. The face formed very quickly — a near perfect replica of the person they had taken the bauble from: A Yamataian woman seemingly stretched in clay into strange proportions of her own choosing. Some of the musculature groups were clearly Lorath as they formed, others Nepleslian. Whoever was inside had a good idea of what they wanted to be.

“What is it doing?”

“When you’re surrounded by people you don’t know, the first thing you do is try to find common ground. It did spend a lot of time inside a person.”​

Both visibly flinched as a palm slammed the inside wall, feeling along its edges. A symmetrical palm.

Last edited:
YE-28, Unknown Day, Classified Location, 12:011am

Before long, the visage of a Lorath child was sat in the tank, visibly frightened watching them as they watched it. It was hard to tell if the figure was male or female, though their hair was long and their facial features perfectly matched the woman they found the sample inside.

They said something. The colonel tried not to laugh.​

An awkward silence sat between them.

“…We ah… No speaking… Trade”​

Kaou made a clear X with her arms just to be sure.

The child copied.

The colonel facepalmed, pulling Kaou by her tie closer, mumbling.

“This represents a huge security risk.”

“Why, because we have life not as we know it?”

“…Because life not as we know it speaks burgerkin like the lady we found the key inside did. She can’t translate because she’s in a fucking coma.”

“It would take months to get anyone even basic clearance… I am NOT prepared to fill out the paperwork.”

“So much for your career in bureaucracy.”​

The child waved.

Kaou waved back out of politeness - the Colonel slapping her hand.

“What about the consultant?”

“What about the consultant? Gunn’s theta clearance.”

“Right, but we could … Y’know, fast-track him.”

"Unthinkable. He's an outsider. We could never—"​

The two watched the small figure pick the small rectangles off the interior wall of the chamber - little metal fingernails pulled away on wires and slime — each time, Kaou cringing.

“Aah, please… Please don’t… Damage the... Err...”​

This had now become a driving force of the chamber's occupant.

“…How much are those?”

“…One point two million a pop."

"Well that's..."

"Each..." Kaou sucked air through her teeth.

"How many are there?"

"...About fifty thousand."

The two both cringed, visibly pained as another came off.

“…I-I’ll get Gunn.”​

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back