• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Pirate Question/GM question

mizunoyoroko

Inactive Member
While I am not saying I will do this, it would be interesting to know for future reference. So here come my slew of questions:

1. Say a someone wanted to be a pirate GM, how do you go about getting the ship? Or rather, how do you base how much money they would have to buy a ship?

2. Is it conceivably possible for a pirate to legally buy a ship from the SAoY or perhaps SMoDIN? I am aware that the Star Army sells ships to people(if they have the money), what are the rules for purchasing a ship?(both OOC and IC). I would assume at least the first time, if the pirate hasn't pirated yet, that it is possible for them to purchase a ship. After the first time however it would become a matter of how well known he/she is.

Again, I actually will not be making a pirate plot, but I might be interested at some point in the future. I figure now is as good a time as any to find out these things.

edit: minor grammar fixes

I'm not sure about the SAoY, but the SMoDIN/ NAM will not sell military technology to civilians, for a number of OOC and IC reasons.

What are the OOC reasons for that? Okay so nix the SMoDIN part, Yamatai sells old ships...it doesn't list who it will or won't sell to. Which is half the reason I am asking.

It'll sell them to "friendly" organizations. Privateers are given free ships.

That makes sense. I am not saying that a person would walk up and be like, "Hey, I am trying to start a pirating business. Would you sell me ship?" I would assume that whoever it was would be smart enough to purchase it under false pretenses. Thanks for your answer though Wes, and in respons(I feel so bad about this), if a civilian wanted to buy a ship, instead of going privateer, could they? Do civilians count as 'friendly' organizations? Do corporations for that matter qaulify to purchase ships?

I don't mean to sound like I am drilling holes into your head, I am just trying to get a feel for the way this works.

mizunoyoroko said:
What are the OOC reasons for that? Okay so nix the SMoDIN part, Yamatai sells old ships...it doesn't list who it will or won't sell to. Which is half the reason I am asking.

OOC reasons are that the Nepleslian GMs aren't big fans of pirates, and that we don't really think that pirates should have uber-powerful military-grade technology.

IC reasons are that it is illegal for NAM to sell to civilians under the Universal Protection Act, and that Nepleslia doesn't like pirates killing their civilians.

Since Yamatai has such a surplus, it probably wouldn't be too difficult so long as you seemed legit, especially if it's just one ship.

There are also independant manufacturers who might sell you tech, but you'd have to do some searching around for that.

Also, this need for pirate ships is making my imagination want to start working again.

Mine too Kai. Sadly, I have too many characters to do something like that. I think my roleplaying could use some work before I GM anyway.

Only thing you need to do to acquire a plot ship is to get two other folk (Excluding yourself, making a total of 3.) to hope on the ride.

Then you get a plot ship.

'Course you can get moar people, but at least two other peeps. However, tis a lot of plots already.

Albeit Piratery is something not touched on so it might not matter.

Just to hit that note for ya.

I, for one, would join a pirate ship. I had a pirate, but he kinda vanished with the site switch two crashes ago. It probably wouldn't take much to remake him though.

I find it highly ironic that this talk about pirates pops up less than a week after I created the Pirate Patrol Group for the 3rd XF. :)

Don't let it dissuade you though; having a pirate plot again would be awesome, and as long as you tread lightly in the 3rd's space then those ships won't have a reason to tack your hide to a wall :p

Speaking of the 3rd XF and the Halna area, please note that Scorpio Star Fortress has just moved out of the 3XF area, way down south to the Ketsurui Military Sector.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back