• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Plasma Pistol

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
Plasma Pistol

Price: 500 ks
Batteries: 30 ks
Five slot recharger: 200 ks

A new design of pistol from NovaCorp, the plasma pistol fires a small globe of superheated plasma wrapped in a electromagnetic field to prevent the plasma from cooling as fast. This model uses a battery which super heats the air, before the gun wraps it in the field and launches it using a magnetic rail system. The plasma hits the target hard, the heat change often causing solid objects to shatter. Once the plasma capsule hits the target the super heated gas spills out all over it, on a person causing massive burning. The blasts are hot enough to disfigure Andrium. Each rechargeable battery carries enough power to shoot ten shots. The batteries go into the stock of the gun. The gun can fire a shot as fast as the user can pull the trigger. It's range is relatively short as the electromagnetic coating wears off, and the plasma cools in the air. Around 30 - 50m before the damage it deals is negligible.

I'm not particularly attached to this design, so Zack, feel free to criticise.

Clearly a weapon like this should be more like 5^10^7*1/(the square root of 5) KS instead of your 500.

really... nothing wrong with this one...

I agree. It's an inexpenisve general purpose plasma pistol.

I expect high sales for you. :D

It's a little on the expensive side considering only the firepower, but the small ammo capacity makes up for it.

A plasma pistol with a range of 1 km?

And a plasma bolt is more apt to flash all bodily fluids to steam, causing a nasty explosion of the body rather than simple burning - especially blasts that are hot enough to -disintegrate- steel.

Given that pistols are -defensive- weapons, this weapon is overkill in terms of its power and range. 30-50 meters to be accurate is probably more reasonable for this weapon.

Sure. I am equaly sure I said disfigured. I knew the plasma wouldn't be that hot, and that's why I put disfigure. I remember it distinctly.

Lets agree to disagree *holds out hand of peace*

Regardless - steel's melting point is about 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit (it goes up or down, depending on the exact compositon of steel).

Now, given that this is a plasma weapon, you have to keep in mind that in order to have what would be considered plasma, it would be many times higher than steel's average melting point - we're talking hundreds of thousands of degrees at the very least.

So if this weapon merely disfigures steel, that means its heat level would be nowhere near the level of plasma. And given that you describe the plasma as 'superheated' then I would suggest one of two things -

1. Not calling this a plasma pistol, because it obviously isn't shooting superheated plasma if it only disfigures steel instead of outright vaporizing it.
2. Name a stronger metal - notably something like Andrium, which is the most common light armoring material. Because if this weapon can only deal cosmetic damage to STEEL, it's all but useless against any of the space-age alloys in use in this RP.

Also - this weapon is going to need not only a battery, but some reactionary matter (a gas of some sort, hydrogen or something you've come up with) in order to create the plasma.

Occam's Razor, man.

Stop trying to come up with some overly complex way when the simplest and most efficient way is to make a combination battery/gas cartridge for the weapon.

Alright. I will accept your logic becuase I happen to like the work of Occam. The batteries are now combined batteries and gas cartridges.

Anything else?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back