• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Implemented Plot Wills?

A

ArsenicJohn

I was just thinking about what happens if a person who GMs multiple plots has to leave SARP for whatever reason. We have faction wills, but what about plot wills? Is this something anyone else thinks would be helpful or am I way off

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is a good idea. Also note: All GMs are supposed to have a Co-GM who can take over if the main GM can't keep going.

Nah, it's okay, it's informational. The main trouble is making sure the rule is actually followed! Too often we've seen the ball get dropped.

Thought AJ was back somehow just to ask this.

I voted up for such a thing. There's a lot of old plots from long-departed members that would be amazing to have a re-run of, second season, etc.

IF there is such a thing i think it should include NPCs or even the possibility of including PCs in the will. That way you can re-launch it with pretty much auto-adopted PCs/NPCs if they are relevant to the plot, or choose not to and do so with your own new/existing PCs/NPCs.

That way both an old plot and old-(N)PC's can get new love.

We should have course set some limits for the wills for the good of the site - for example, it wouldn't make sense to allow someone to leave a will that says "Keep my character in charge of this fleet forever, but no one can play them" or "delete everything I made if I'm gone for more than 3 weeks" and then expect us to follow it.

Unreasonable requests like what you stated should be left up to a staff-level decision as there is always circumstances.

Reasonable requests should be respected in regards to what people have put their time and effort into and not wanting it tampered with or co-opted tho. Like how if i ever leave or am removed i have stated i don't want people just co-opting my stuff to cram into their own projects just because my stuff already exists. As i have spent my time and effort to make stuff for X and the direction X is going and don't want it used to just cram into something else as padding or filler just because someone doesn't want to make their own stuff.

On that topic, to avoid people ignoring a lack of will(s) and seeking to abuse it; Already large or fleshed out groups of pages, factions, corps, etc. Should take a lot of consideration (by staff) considering you are then taking what someone(s) put a lot of time, work, and prob love into and could be taking it in directions never intended for. I think for the case of adopting things beyond PCs and the like you should prove you are willing to commit to your investment by first making articles to help revive that entity (corp, faction, etc.) with new life and a willingness to invest in it, and to prove its not just some OOC power play to absorb a faction or large corporation into an already existing one as players have tried in the past.

"Keep my character in charge of this fleet forever, but no one can play them"
Part of the approval process for fleet-level NPCs should be ensuring that their adoption slot says “can be played by the FM.” All of my Taishos have various levels of restrictions, for example, but they say specifically that Wes can play them because he’s the FM and leader of the Star Army. Stuff like that should be the minimum standard; people knowing from character creation that at least Wes might have to play their NPC someday would probably be helpful.

Yeah at a certain level PCs/NPCs start drifting into Factional (N)PC territory at the point where they start leading fleets, taking up command positions in their government, etc. That way its kind of obvious that while you've made a fleet and/or admiral at some point they may need to be played or retired or replaced in your absence.

That's prob a dif discussion or suggestion we should make separately at a different time tho~

I approve the implementation of this idea. GMs are welcome to (optionally) place plot wills on their plot pages.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back