• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Points of View in the Lore

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I read that journalists consider a "view from nowhere" to be a bad thing. Information makes more sense when it's told from a point of view. Is this an issue with the Star Army wiki and if this is a problem that we should solve, how do we solve it? Whose point of view is the wiki from, ideally? The Star Army?

In a related question, if we want to make the wiki more impactful to the readers, maybe we should be trying to include more stories in the history sections rather than just lists of stuff that happened, and maybe some quotes from characters in the universe telling us their point of view. Thoughts on that as well?

Ideally, the wiki serves as a neutral omniscient observer to the IC actions of players and GMs. This has, in my observation, generally been the case and the NTSE has usually done its best to crack down on biased language or representations of events. However, there's still room for improvement in some ways; for example I just went to check to confirm, but the Third Battle of Nataria page covers only the Yamataian actions, with the exception of the listing of forces and losses at the bottom of the page.

I think including quotes could be a great idea, and I know that some people used to do it even if it's not so common anymore.

The wiki should be in the POV of an article from an unbiased source. Such as if it was written by some third party without any connection or bias towards or against the content. Like if it were wikipedia but instead of being written and edited by just anyone it was some powerful AI just cataloging information into its database. It knows everything about the subject such as what something is made of, how it was made, the weapons it has, the history behind it, etc.

And thats how you justify knowledge on the wiki not being common knowledge to PCs in a sense. The wiki knows everything, so it should be written as such.

I also dont think this should really be too strictly enforced, however, if that is the goal of this thread. Some people like to write their articles as if it were a sales pitch, a satire ad, etc. Which is a nice change from 20,000 words of boring and pointless lists and lore that literally nobody is every going to do anything but skip most of to scan for what they actually came to the article to find.

*Edit.

Tbh if we want to make the wiki more impactful we should make it more palatable to the reader and easier on the creator by leaning less on the overbearing nature of the submission process such as being anal about templates, formatting, outdated systems like damage (not advocating for the destruction of DRv3, just saying the damage rating score aspect of it hinders creation while the rest is pretty helpful considering it should be more about RP now and less about what hurts what in non-existent PVP), pointless headers and info nobody wants or will ever read that just make a slog of a mess to read through. The only things we should really be strict on are spelling and grammar. Everything else should be a recommended secondary that doesn't hinder creation or submission but instead are helpful tools for content creators to use if they so desire.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back