• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Post-Mission 24] Edges (YE 38)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surface

Wazu would join Aikiko out in front of the ship after having switched to a tank top and shorts. His boots weren't exactly made for running, but they were sturdy enough to hold up to the more rocky areas of UX-1.

"Expecting trouble?" Wazu asked, coming back out of the ship after grabbing a small pack and switching to a tank top and shorts. "The SSS reported this place as having little to no native life... probably nothing threatening."

"I like to have things that are not needed, than to need something and not have it." Aikiko looked up at Wazu. Giving his attire the once over. "Care for a quick run up the basin and back?" As she easily stood to be ready to depart on her morning run.

"Certainly, I will do my best to keep up." Wazu's clothing was not hugging his form as tightly as Aikiko's was, but it was still showing plenty of the skin on his arms and legs. Despite his role as a science adviser, he did manage to find time to keep his body in shape, full of lean muscle that looked far more sleek and yamatain than the towering monsters of Nepleslia. Without waiting for a reply he'd start off! Taking an early lead ahead of her as he headed for the basin's ridge.

Aikiko quickly caught up with him, letting him set the pace for the run, which was an easy jog for her. From the view she had of him, she liked masciline physique he had. But then she was a bit strange in her taste of lovers. At least he made an effort which went along way with her. "You like being aboard a warship?" Making simple talk so that it wasn't just all silence.

"Hard to say." He replied. He was clearly pushing himself, trying not to favor his injured leg too heavily, but it was clear he wasn't going to outrun a Neko anytime soon. "I have been on ships a large portion of my life, but they are all different." He would run a bit further, getting a bit of air before continuing, "You are usually pretty isolated from planets," Another breath, "but then each ship tends to develop its own rules.... Sometimes the crew acts like one big family. Other times you are on your own.... sometimes.... it gets confusing." he was still guarded about plenty of things and his answers could sometimes be a bit vague. His eyes never seemed to linger on her for too long, but they did linger.

"Usually I am working alone, Command and Control stuff, programming, fleet logistics... I feel like the crew knows me here though... I mean, the same was true on Nepleslia but at the same time it was different..."

"Yeah, I know how you feel at times. I still feel like I am an outsider as long as I have been aboard the Eucharis, unlike my previous ship before the crew broke up and the ship was sold for scrap. I could have stayed with them. But once you get used to being on the move, it gets a bit stifling to be on a planet for long. Without a job or having the wrong skill set." She had to slow down several times to let Wazu keep up with her. Seeing how he placed his feet, taking wild guess, "Old injury?" Referring to his barely noticed awkwardness of favoring one of his legs.

"Yeah," Wazu said, of course as Aikiko pulled out in front of him he was happy to get a good look at her from behind, "Are you familiar with the Black Syndicate?" He asked.

"Who hasnt?" Aikiko spoke in a softer tone. "Either in jest or children playing make mention of it. Even was known in the Colonies."

"Back when Nepleslia was Nepleslia and not The Democratic Imperium of Nepleslia, they were just as powerful as the military, the police, the reds, whoever..." Wazu had to pause for a moment, stopping to catch his breath. "I was not exactly best friends with the Yamatains at the time, and Robert Davis wanted to put together a group to take back Nepleslia... I found where never caught his first name Blackman was after joining the Syndicate, then Davis jumped the gun a bit and dropped a bomb on Blackman's home while I was still in it."

Wazu tapped his leg,

"Best Cybernetics in Nepleslia.... in the 20s at least..."

Aikiko ran a few more steps and came to a stop, as she jogged in place, facing him. "Aaaahhh..." Aikiko exhaled softly. "We can walk" coming to a stop after the brief jog in place. Waiting till he caught up with her again. Turning to face the direction they was travelling, beginning to walk at a leisurely pace.

"Must be hard to really get a good run in. Are both legs artificial?" Glancing at him as she was curious.

"They managed to save the right one... sorta. There are a lot of parts that are not natural inside of me... even the left leg is not entirely a replacement. The bones are entirely artificial, as are much of the muscles and nerves. It is just... sometimes it rubs the real stuff the wrong way." He replied, taking himself back to a jogging pace, "Do you still feel like you do not connect with anyone on the Eucharis?"

She gave him a soft natural smile. "Who knows." With a shrug as she resumed jogging to catch up with him, and once more matching his pace step for step. "Let me know when you have you reached your limit." Sounding infiltrating calm as if this was just a mere walk in the park. "Is being a scientist, your dream choice for life?"

"I have plenty of stamina left," He replied, the pair of them reaching the rim of the basin, the Eucharis starting to drop out of sight as they passed over it, "I..." He paused a bit, working on coming up with a better answer than the one he had originally, "I can do whatever I want... and I could be good at it too... it is just... I always thought I would manage to save the universe, I have learned incredible skills, and what have I managed to do? I have installed a military Junta on Nepleslia, Helped Yui kill millions of innocent Elysians, helped setup a state of affairs where instability could return at any moment and wipe away all the progress that has been made so far...

... I can not even manage my personal relationships well."

Aikikos eyes sparkled with merriment. "It usually takes two and a lot of compromise and sacrifice on both sides of the relationship...." She was a fine one to give advice and she was still single, with a lot affairs, one night stands, trysts in the most of awkward times. "At least you had your share of the good times. Better to have tried and not tried at all." She felt a warm spot growing within her towards Wazu. She fell quiet as she kept pace with him. "UOCP could have used a few more like you. If it were not for the squid invasion."

"Yeah..... " Wazu replied, not sounding like he agreed, "The UOC... They felt like Yamatai.... but more arrogant...." He paused for a moment again, "Maybe I should talk about something else? Is there someone waiting for their lovely Aikiko to return to them somewhere?"

"Those that were aboard ships or had access to them, fled like rats from a sinking ship. UOCP fell to the Sqids and never reformed. Those that served aboard the Warships, went hunting for pirates or the lone mish ships to wreck vengeance upon. When the war was over. UOCP was no more as the territory was divided amongst the super powers. Whether that is true or not. At the time I was just an Indentured Employee to a major mining consortium till I became a Peace Officer to ply my skills to the benefit of the people." She fell quiet to give some thought, then spoke dofter. "It is just me now with none to wait for."

"I am getting tired of trying to save people who either do not care, or do not understand," Wazu would run along a bit more, before coming to a nice point overlooking a small river that was trickling down off the mountains.

"... Still waiting for someone to care about you?" He asked.

Aikiko came to a stop and looked out over scenery, letting the wind play with a few loose strands of her hair fluttering in her face, before she swiped them away. She shrugged at his question, "I have come to expect to be alone till either I let my contract with SAoY expire or not. If it happens, it happens." She looked at him in the eyes. "In my own weird way, I care for others. As for it to be reciprocated, I don't expect it." Looking at the water and feeling the warmth of the sunlight on her, she scampered ahead towards the water, kicking off her shoes to run barefoot into the shallow water in one of her more carefree moments.

Wazu smiled, coming up close to the river and setting down his pack, the two spending some time enjoying the river before heading back down towards the Eucharis.

Planet surface

Candon was pleasantly surprised to receive a promotion to an NCO but he knew that it wouldn't change much. The armor team still needed his help to become more effective, it was an unspoken obligation for any combat veteran to help the next generation learn to engage in combat without dying but with the arrival and promotion of Tsuguka Toyoe opened a new way to accomplish this task. Her professional demeanor was unparalleled but she struck him as being too rigid. But perhaps with the right guidance she would make a good team leader, one that would make his leadership unnecessary.

All of this raced through his mind as he received his service award ribbon from Natsumi. His smile was sincere as he returned to his place in the crew, despite knowing that his work had just begun he wanted to simply enjoy the moment as they applauded each other's achievements.

Surface

Tsuguka didn't change expression. Didn't say a thing. The curt nod was brisk but icy. Didn't really seem like there was much to say.

Hair looms wavering in the cool winds of the unborn rock, the soldier's spring green eyes seemed to just wander slowly for a pace as the command crew ordered their dismissal. The outer world seeped back in long enough for her hands to reactivate again soon enough, which she used to thoroughly shake the hand of the newly knighted Nito Heisho Suites.

The man was definitely a good choice. Proactive, practical, reluctant to immediately resort to violence, and could form a solid plan of action on the spot. She was fine with working underneath his future machinations, to the point that she had even considered offering her services as a sort of aide figure there and then. His laddish personality could stop him from being blunt with her, so allowing him to make more direct orders seemed, well, just socially ideal.

Thoughts were still on other things, through, and the suggestion caught in her throat.

Arms on her hips, the predatory-looking nekovalkyrja averted her forlorn eyes towards the double-suns, then towards the new medal pinned to her chest, and then back to him.

"...Shosho Hanako think's I'm... friendly?..." A basic phrase, spoken disquietly.

It took everything Candon had to not laugh at Tsuguka's statement/question. He stared at the ground for a moment as he chuckled into his hand before he could reply. "She probably didn't assign it to you for being friendly or social," he replied, then thought about how it sounded. "I mean, not that your- it's not that you.. one second," Candon looked around to make sure Aikiko wasn't in earshot, she definitely wouldn't like what he was going to say. Catching sight of her running after Wazu he-
'Wait, Wazu?!'
He looked again to make sure that what he was seeing was real. Sure enough, there they were running around like high school sweethearts.
Ohh kay…

He focused back on Toyoe speaking quietly, "Look, you deserve that award. Out of all the infantry I've seen on this ship your the only one that actually performed well. At Higaflan we were attacked, the armor team never launched. They were ordered three times to take off and I was the only one who did. Last week we were ordered to board the Rixxicor colony ship peacefully, Akane just didn't show up and Akiashiro found her way into a gunfight. You showed up out of the black to fill Akane's position, you followed your orders and didn't incite violence, you helped me collect bodies, and if that's not enough I don't know what is. Maybe your not a social butterfly, neither am I, it's not the only thing that qualifies as good conduct. You assisted a SAINT Operative to covertly collect intel in the form of fallen enemies. To me you were the most helpful person there and I'm glad you've been recognized for it. Alright?"

Surface

Tsuguka's neurotic demeanor continued as she watched Akiashiro and Wazu build up speed, before rapidly disappearing behind a rocky outcrop that finally obscured them from view. Reminded her of basic training, only there was clearly something more going on between the two of them that her limited world experience could not glimpse. All the while she was taking everything that Suites was saying to heart, but was so mercurial about what it even was that was making her feel down, that it took her a long time to calculate an appropriate response.

"Thank you for saying things like that, Heisho." Ears twitched, eyes regarded him with the atypical steely gaze. "I do feel appreciated even through I do not show it. In fact, right now I can honestly say I feel more accepted than I ever have at any station I've ever been assigned to. That's what becoming Joto-Hei really means to me. Being part of the family..."

"Or... Is family even the right word?" Crestfallen words didn't really change the tone of voice, but the way she regarded the more robustly framed Yamataian spoke of retaining her professional visage as much as possible. "Semantics. But what really has me perturbed is that I think I only just realized that none of us even really know the Shosho, and perhaps we never will. Too much buried history. Too much focus on retaining a safe distance of conduct. Rightly so, perhaps, but that doesn't stop all the idealism I spout to her from feeling childish in hindsight."

Picking up an errand pebble with a impassive little grasp, the red woman threw it at just the right angle to strike another from a few meters away. Without any knowledge of the outside world, I'm always going to be the child, aren't I?

"Doesn't change anything. But I appreciate you listening." Bending her knees to balance down closer to the dirt, it was like she was just mundanely searching for a better small stone at this point. "If you have a tactically sound plan of action, just give me the order to assist you, day or night. I like your conduct, Heisho Suites. Very much. Things would be better that way."

UX-1 Planet Surface

Marcus smiled at her response. There was the warrior who would have gone to battle in Ayenee. Until now he'd seen little evidence of her. It wasn't that he'd expected a gruff warrior's demeanor the entire time. However, he knew enough of his world's history to know that several visitors from other universes had taken part in those wars. Since his arrival, he'd learned that Hanako had been a part of that group.

Wes said:
This empire of ours continues because people like these," Hanako gestured to her crew, "...are out her on the frontier dealing with the opposition.

Marcus smiled as Hanako showed a true example of pride and loyalty in her crew. Regardless of the era or profession, there were few things so highly respected amongst the people of Ayenee as a capable warrior who had shown themselves to, also, be a capable leader. Even if he hadn't been planning on being honest with her before, that would have changed his mind. As it stood, he was greatly comforted by that display. As he spoke, his voice took on a tone that reflected his admiration and determination.

He was certain to speak loud enough so that anyone who desired could listen in. "Your respect for your crew is to be commended; and, your dedication to your empire is greatly respectable. I will answer you as briefly as possible. I am well aware that military matters and the duty of this ship take precedence over the whims of a visitor from another world. I was sincere when I asked if you had time to spare. I'm not so foolish to think that I would be immediately trusted without any sort of examination being done, first. You would be just as much in your rights to arrest me as an invader as you have been to show me the hospitality I've thus far enjoyed. "

He'd had conversations like this before. Each was different, and yet somehow the same. The human continued, hopefully answering the questions she'd presented. "I am as much a philanthropist as I am a businessman. I've spent time researching the state of the empire, and those who share its borders. I am completely confident that my business plan will benefit the Yamataian Empire. Basic food and water are lacking in many areas, to the extent where the civilizations of some planets use water as a form of currency. A commercial farming business with a heavy concentration in providing the means to less-fortunate citizens to generate their own food and water is, I believe, a tremendous solution to this issue. And to be honest, no, I do not plan to stay long. I have, however, the ability to leave a data-clone of myself. That process will allow me to insert the necessary knowledge to execute a successful farming business. For the sake of your own peace of mind, I would be happy to have as much security from your crew as you would like to, be present to oversee the process."

There was a very brief pause as his passion for business and philanthropic advances was replaced by a stern countenance. His tone changed, to match, though he still made certain to keep it audible to any who wished to hear. "As for your final question, to be honest, I'm surprised you would ask it to someone from my world. Am I willing to see this crew in combat? Yes. So long as I am here I will fight, bleed and die with them as if they were my own family. Do I wish it so? Never."

Planet surface

"Doesn't change anything. But I appreciate you listening." Bending her knees to balance down closer to the dirt, it was like she was just mundanely searching for a better small stone at this point. "If you have a tactically sound plan of action, just give me the order to assist you, day or night. I like your conduct, Heisho Suites. Very much. Things would be better that way."

The Neko's crimson skin may as well have darkened. Candon had been there before, unsure of what or who mattered. Military service often lead to depression among soldiers, especially the young ones. He kneeled down next to her, "I appreciate that, but remember this, family is more than blood. We're soldiers, that makes us all Sisters-in-Arms. Hanako's no different, she's just been doing it longer. Try to get to know big sister more personally, I intend to. The best ships in the galaxy always had tight-knit crews, that's what made them work well."
'Damn, I'm as bad with my words as she is! I'll just say it.

"I admire your work ethic and I see tons of potential in you. I need to be honest, I am planning to make you the infantry leader somewhere down the road. It's not appropriate that a soldier who should be working with the infantry is leading them but until the armor team can function without me it would also be wrong for me to not be involved. If you're willing I would like to help train you to take the role of the infantry leader. How's that sound?"

Surface

Mao hadn't strayed far from Hanako on the planet's surface but the relative isolation and quiet of an uninhabited world was too tempting to just waste. Mao always kept Hanako within eye-sight and, with the abilities granted by an Eihei's body, within mere seconds reach. But it was mercifully far enough away that she could enjoy some silence and peace to herself. So she'd taken the time to do what any good warrior would do, and practice the kata of her preferred budo.

At her knees, focused. Steadying her breathing.

-click-

-wisp-

The blade was drawn and one strike, clean to the temple of her imagined foe.

-wisp-

Another struck down, to the side.

-wisp-

Another, to the other side.

-wisp-

A turn and strike.

A pause. A breath.

A peace.

Mao let out a breath. She flicked her wrist, oriented the blade, and ran her thumb down the length of the razor's edge before her hand returned to the mouth of the scabbard. For a moment she put her thumb in her mouth to nurse the wound as it healed. Around her there was nothing but peaceful quiet. And as she thought back to the few members of the crew she'd met personally so far, an idea came to her.

She reached out to the crew, "Tsuguka-Hei, Umeshu-Taii. If either of you is interested in sparring, I wouldn't protest having a partner to practice."

Surface

Junko stood back from the group for a moment, a slight smile on her lips. She always enjoyed seeing the way promotion ceremonies brought the whole crew together, united and motivated by the example of their peers. She didn’t know most of her shipmates yet but there seemed to be a seriousness and professionalism about most of them that had her greatly looking forward to serving with them.

There were a few things she wanted to say directly, though, so she left her contemplative mind and stepped forward.

“Excuse me,” she said, drawing near Candon and Tsuguka. She dipped her head respectfully. “I don’t mean to interrupt and I won’t for long. I merely wanted to say congratulations to you both. And to you, Suites-Heisho, welcome to the NCO ranks. If you would ever like to talk, I would be happy to be of assistance.”

Slight smile still present, she dipped her head again and withdrew to let the Heisho and Hei continue their conversation. She paused, though, scanning the group. The other individual she wanted to speak to directly was eluding her initial search. There - a flash of red on a working uniform - and she had him in sight.

“Pardon me, Howard-Hei.” She had had to pick her pace up a bit to close the distance and now pitched her voice to be heard over the remaining distance. “I don’t believe we’ve been formally introduced: I am Takeda Junko Itto Heisho, your new supervisor. I wanted to say congratulations on your promotion and your award. I can see you have an agenda, but if you have a moment to converse with me I would appreciate it.”

Once, Junko might have said those words in a tone and with an expectation that such a request from a senior to a junior wasn’t really a request but an order. But time had softened her rigidity in this and many other areas. Instead she now waited patiently to see whether the junior engineer could spare her some time.

Surface

Jackson, for a moment, felt his blood run cold at the sound of Junko's voice. His tail and ears visibly twitched and seized. For a moment, he was positive that it was Natsumi, or Hanako, or Mitsuko catching on to his plan and coming to stop him. A million excuses ranging from "soaking in the scenery" to "walking my FAR" raced through his mind. Before his brain could pick out the one that sounded the least bull-shitty, he relaxed when he realized it was just the new tech. Higher ranking, sure, but not that kind of higher ranking.

The color came back into his face, and he smiled warmly, bowing slightly in greeting.

Rule number one of the SAoY: Always knock. The military's ninety percent female.

Rule number two: Bow to anything and anyone that even seems higher on the pecking order.

"Of course, Heisho," he answered respectfully. Like all new people, he left the crazy out until he was sure they were cool with it. Unless he wanted to bug them. Like Candon. "Thank you. Forgive my awkwardness. I just moved to Yamatai last year."

Surface

Natsumi glanced at Hanako. She had been enjoying the landscape, taking in the view and fresh air after the end of the promotion ceremony, but now her attention was called back to her commanding officer.

With a glint in her eye, she looked to Natsumi. "I am feeling particularly bold today. Let me ask you something: do have the heart to change the universe, to collide with those who stand against us until they let us through or can no longer hold us back? Perhaps it is Taisho Yui rubbing off on me, or the unfulfilled rage at the Rixxikor, but I am practically itching to go find something to fight and I intend to do so soon. In the meantime, why not give the crew a chance to name this planet and the rest of this system?" Hanako suggested.

The newly minted Taii raised a snowy eyebrow. "Well, I think the crew naming the planet and the rest in this system is a great idea to boost moral and let them leave their mark on the galaxy." she replied with a smile. "You know I will follow you to the ends of the universe, Shosho Hanako."she said, this side of the question was a little concerning, but that did not make her response any less true. "And what do you have in mind of finding to fight?" she asked. "Directly confront whoever is behind the Rixxicore and throw some light on to whoever is sending them into our section of the galaxy?" she suggested, though she was very curious to learn what Hanako had in mind.

Surface

Tsuguka bolted upright in order to make a formal bow towards the approaching brown-haired Heisho, the rather short unfamiliar engineer taking her by surprise. "Much obliged." Was the only words she could piece together in such a short instance, but the woman seemed interesting enough. The registry said Nekovalkyrja, but she looked more like an average Yamataian... Was there a reason?... Too late now, they were already gone. Maybe she'd ask when they were both less preoccupied.

Interruption ceased, Tsuguka's uncompromising stance softened a little, as she sighed lightly, and returned to thinking about what Candon had offered her.

"...If you think I'm worthy, then that's a fine an order as any..." The red soldier put her hands on her hips, seemed to run the question back through her head, and regarded him plainly. "No, rather... If you think that would make the team work more efficiently, then I would be honored to prove I am worthy of such tasks. Thank you, Heisho."

There was no room for sympathy in her disposition, that much was clear, but having a direct goal and a task to complete made her feel useful. More like a person, less like a disposable drone. So much the better if that goal had a face, and wasn't just some abstract concept like a flag to cherish.

"Tsuguka-Hei, Umeshu-Taii. If either of you is interested in sparring, I wouldn't protest having a partner to practice."

<I would be most gratified to watch, Nito Juni Mao. Unfortunately I do not currently possess a sword.> Tsuguka responded briskly with her own telepathy function, actually forwarding the conversation in text format to Candon so he would know what was going on. <I could use a tomahawk from one of the survival kits, but... That seems somehow dishonorable, ma'am.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back