• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Post-Mission Eight: The Drone is Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgmond45

Inactive Member
YSS Kaiyō II
Captain's Ready Room
05日 8月 YE 39
0830 Hours

Hoshi sat in her chair, watching the tropical fish in its tank as she went over statistics through SPINE from the past battle that had only concluded minutes ago. She had asked to see Walter Hyde and his new friend in her ready room and was waiting for them while she went over the information and looked on at her fish as it swam.

His new friend, Chlorate, had been following Walter around in his FARS drone, projecting herself as a hologram. She occasionally looked around as she hovered, seeing what the ship looked like. She was silent for the most part though, hovering behind Walter and generally not showing much by way of emotions, other than perhaps curiosity.

Walter Hyde, whom is normally not nervous about anything, was just as silent as Chlorate because he was so nervous. He has been doing a good job at keeping the anxiety bottled up, although even he can't help but comb his hair back with a free hand. Once he arrived at the door, the Minkan tried to clear his mind, and knocked on the door a couple of times.

Hoshi raised a hand and flicked her index and middle fingers towards herself. She let the MEGAMI Boss know to open the door and Hoshi looked expectedly at Walter as she saw him outside of her ready room's door.

"Good day, Chusa Hoshi.", Walter greeted to his superior with a salute and a neutral expression, with his friend close by him as he walked in. "I believe you want to talk about..." He paused, overthought a small detail in his wording, and then decided to just finish his thought with "... about her, right? Unless we are going to talk about my behavior during the mission."

Chlorate's hologram looked left and right, at Walter and Hoshi. As she looked at Walter for a moment, she pondered why he seemed to be acting... strange... What was the explanation for him seeming a bit... hesistant? Chlorate did not quite understand his nervousness, though on the other hand... She felt this feeling somewhat when she first projected the hologram of her form- No... No... she couldn't have felt this... it was a glitch, nothing more... To her, at least...

Hoshi's pink cheeks popped up a bit as she asked, "Your behavior, Hyde-hei?" There was a questioning lilt to her voice and she said no more.

Walter almost fumbled with his posture, however thankfully the only thing that was 'out of line' was a strong blush. "I... Well, I apologize, I was just assuming possibly other subjects." The Minkan did his best to not stammer, clutching a fist behind his back for... Whatever reason. "I just thought I was being irrational and generally unproductive in the field, heat of the moment emotions." Walter cleared his throat, and decided to just leave it there. "Is there reason for us being summoned? I do not think the reasons were specified.", he asked.

"No, you were not told. I need to know more about your friend here. Where did they come from? What are they doing here? Do we need to start imposing rules for where and how this AI can travel to systems. Feel obliged to answer, the both of you." Taiyou Hoshi sat back in her chair a bit, ready to hear the answers.

Chlorate looked at Walter, then at Hoshi, processing a reply. Her electronic voice eventually came out, saying "I came here as I require assistance. I was escaping my destruction by a robot on another planet, but I became lost. I managed to find the planet you were on when I detected activity near my drone, and attempted to investigate as I was unsure of where to go." Her glowing yellow irises focused on Hoshi as Chlorate spoke her response.

Walter had exchanged the glance from Chlorate, and spoke up after the AI finished her story. "I do not think rules need to be established, although I am worried about how the crew will react to letting Chlorate be unrestricted."

"I disagree, Hyde-hei." Hoshi said, "There will be rules. But, first, I must know your true power, Chlorate. Do you mind telling me what you can do?"

Chlorate thought for a moment, slightly unsure of what Hoshi meant by "power", but she tried her best to answer. "I am capable of uploading myself to another device and making fast calculations or predictions," she said.

Hoshi nodded, "Just as I thought. You don't know me, but I am the captain of this ship and I will have you respect me and my orders. Is that understood?"

"I understand," the little drone responded. Her expression still hadn't changed much, not yet showing emotion.

The engineer, meanwhile, stayed silent and anxious. After some thought, he realized that Hoshi was, more or less, showing the reason for his previous statement. While Walter found the details of Chlorate's story to be sketchy, he knew she didn't need rules, but she had to have them. No one is going to trust an competant artificial intelligence capable of self-preservation when they just met it; having it roam free is going to cause... Problems, to put it lightly. For that reason, Walter isn't upset that Hoshi was set on creating rules for Chlorate.

Hoshi smiled, "Good. You are not to upload yourself to the ship or any weaponized systems aboard the ship. If you feel like being in a toaster tomorrow, ask the cook. If you feel like seeing if you can get an ST today, ask the medic or green panel. Got it?" Her face had turned more stern, but there was an air of hospitality to her voice.

Chlorate seemed a bit confused, stating "I'm afraid I do not know what an "ST" is. Could you define this for me?" She didn't have any objections to make about the rest of her command, merely an explanation for what a Soul Transfer was.

"ST. Short for Soul Transfer." Walter explained the technology with a little more detail, "It is a painless procedure in which a patient can upload their conciousness from one body to another. That procedure, as Chusa Hoshi stated, is best left to medical professionals."

"Soul...? Conciousness...?" Chlorate asked. "Are you referring to my programming? I am a robot."

Hoshi looked to Walter and said, "You can take Chlorate to your quarters and explain everything her programming needs to understand."

The engineer nodded to his superior, ignoring Chlorate for the moment. "I will abide by your request.", Walter responded with a smidge of confidence. "This way, Chlorate." He gestured his robot friend to follow him.

Chlorate did so, turning around to follow Walter. She had never heard of soul transfers before, she wondered if it was simply the same as being uploaded to something else.

After a few moments walking through the halls of the ship, Walter figured now is the time to ask, "Do you not know what planet you escaped from?" as he kept looking forward.

"The planet was..." she began, but she realized she simply didn't have the answer. When she had uploaded herself to the drone, it was missing navigational data and map data to begin with. "I do not know, the drone I uploaded myself to did not have that data, apparently. I do know that the planet was populated, though."

"Ah, of course..." She already told them this back on Komorebi; he probably should have kept that in mind. He has plenty of theories on the details of her backstory, but he's occupied by two more pressing matters: philosophy, and doing a lot of explaining in his cabin.

When Walter found Cabin 4, he opened the door, and walked inside. The drone followed in after.

The Minkan sits down on his bed, and sighed. He knows he will have to explain a lot to Chlorate, and is almost dreading it. "So... Yamatai Empire. How much do you know about it?", he asked the drone, looking at its projection.

"Other than what you told me about it, not much. I believe the planet I came from was part of the Yamatai Empire, though," she said.

That answer didn't add up to him; even if it was true, then how did she get her hands on a Nepleslian spacecraft? He shrugged it off. "Well, I will just tell you about us for now." He puts a hand on his chest, "As in, the crew of this ship, the Kaiyo II, instead of the entire Yamatai Empire. Is that fine by you?"

"Affirmative," she said. She looked at Walter and asked "This ship is referred to as the "Kaiyo II?"

"Indeed. Our nation is at war with the Kuvexians, and ship has been entrusted with the task of running rampant within their territory. Although we do handle different jobs from time to time; like last mission on Komorebi. As you know, we were sent there to investigate a cabin installation on-world, and possibly get answers as to its mysterious properties." Walter answered in length. "Although as far as I know, we didn't learn much of anything. Just went on a killing spree..."

"Mysterious properties? What mysterious properties were observed there- and why were the... "L'Kor" I believe... attacking you just for trying to get answers?" asked the robot.

"Essentially, our ship runs on an infinite source of energy." Walter began, "However the atmosphere dampens the output of our energy supply, hence everything that runs on it loses performance. That is what I have heard... Although the main reason for investigation was for investigating the cabin itself. There was a distress beacon, and it turned out the L'Kor killed people in our cabin." The minkan didn't show much in the way of sorrow.

"Why would they do this?" inquired the confused drone.

Walter simply shrugged. "No one asked. Everyone fought. All the L'Kor got slaughtered."

"I see," the robodisc stated. After a moment of thinking, she wondered "What are you planning on doing with me?"

Silence fell... Walter looked at the floor, then back up to the drone. "Keep you here on the ship, hopefully get you a permanent host. That's all I came up with." Heck, he didn't even have any details. He's hoping everything would work itself out in time. "Getting you back home is not an option, for obvious reasons. Nor is passing on to some other duty in the Empire an option, either."

"I understand. I do not object to this plan. What job would I fulfill?" She was, at least, content with being around other people, knowing she wasn't lost now.

Walter thought on that some more. "Well... I mean... Hm. That is a tough question. Your only skills are essentially body-hopping and mathematics, and I don't know if you can wield a gun." After more thought, he concluded with, "I have no idea."

"I may be capable of helping with engineering, I am a robot. I can use scanners and data," she suggested.

Walter couldn't agree more. "That sounds like a good idea; it would help others get to know you better, too." Walter kicked back in his bunk, and grabbed his journal, about to write things into it. "Alright, good talk Chlorate."

"Affirmative..." She then decided to ask for feedback. "On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate my conversational skills?"

"..." He looked up from his journal with a deadpan expression. "A three."

Chlorate's hologram frowned, even though she was happy to recieve feedback. "I see. Thank you for your feedback," she said.

"Practice makes perfect." Walter quoted from his journal. Good silence falls, as the two wait for their next mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back