• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Post-Mission Three: Lists for Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAMnJAM

The Ham Lord
Inactive Member
YSS Kaiyō
Cargo Bay
9日 2月 YE 39
1000 Hours

With the unwelcome excitement of another regretably action-packed space battle behind them, Mitsuko was more than happy to settle back into routine. Wake up, clean, complete checklists, make new checklists, eat, sleep, repeat. Nobody shooting at her or expecting her to shoot back at them. The last thing she wanted to think about right now was combat.

Nodding to herself, distracted by the datapad in her hand, the Logistics Neko was unaware of the dark spectre sneaking up on her from behind. Her attention focused on the harrowing task of properly inventorying their rice stockpile (Yamatai's fleets were practically powered by rice, a fact she had become well aware of during her short but unfortunately very interesting life), she was oblivious to the threat looming behind her...one with its own datapad in hand...

This five-foot-three threat came in the form of the shy XO, Norogumi Misaki. She emerged from the shadows of the cargo lift, face buried in a datapad. She looked up, looking shyly at the Logistics Neko before speaking quietly, breaking the silence of the bay, "I-Is everything going good?"

Mitusko let out a loud, startled squeak at the sudden, unexpected interruption, the datapad loudly clattering to the deck as it feel from her hands, which were now flung into the air in surprise. She immediately whirled around to face her assailant, backing up against the Standard Starship Cargo Container she had been inspecting a moment earlier. The Neko opened her mouth to protest, jaw moving silently for a moment as she quickly recognized the new arrival. "Ch-chui!" She flushed bright red, attempting to smooth down the long skirt of her Type 30C, a rapid series of bows turning into a chance to scoop up the dropped device.

She fidgeted with the datapad, clutching it to her chest, as she tried to recover her composure. "A...apologies, Norogumi-Chui. You...um...startled me." Her voice shrank a bit as she spoke, seeming quite different from the firm, stubborn tone she'd taken with the Away Team recently.

Saki, awkward compared to her status as XO, seemed to shy a little. Her skin becoming a little flush and her expression somewhat dejected. "S-Sorry, you can go back to your business." She whimpered as she tucked her datapad under one of her arms while trying to hide her face and expression by moving a few strands of hair behind her ears. She walked over to another set of stacked containers and made herself look busy to hide her apparent shame. She was different from the usual Executive Officer, timid to say the least.

Once she had composed herself, Mitsuko began to wonder what the Officer was doing here. In her Cargo Bay. "Um....Norogumi-Chui?" She followed the other Neko over, consulting her mental list of the ship's inventory to determine the contents of the container Misaki was so interested in. Although she had neglected to open it, leaving Misaki to consult her datapad and admire the exterior of the dull grey box.

"Chui...are you concerned with the status of the...237 pairs of standard issue Star Army Undergarments? Or the 124 Toiletry Kits?" She tilted her head, her expression curious, the glow of her unnaturally bright eyes dulled by those tinted glasses.

If the Neko could blush any more, she'd be a tomato. She seemed to stand up straighter and simply walked down the isles of the bay, "J-J-Just checking things!" She was well over embarrased at this point, going to her work of checking the containers herself in the classic, 'Is it here or is it not' method.

At first she had seemed confused, but now Mitsuko had a look of worry on her face. "...checking things? What things? Are you checking up on me?" She frowned, following closely behind as the slightly taller, noticeably skinnier Neko attempted to scurry away from her. "I can assure you I have everything in my Cargo Bay in proper order and condition. And, if you are attempting to locate a specific container or specific contents, I can direct you towards the proper..." Her eyes narrowed behind her glasses, as one of the smaller boxes MIsaki had been absentmindedly inspecting as part of her cover was nudged ever so slightly out of alignment with the row of containers around it. "...proper...um...proper location." She stammered for a moment, but managed to control herself, unfortunately moving uncomfortably close to the Chui as cover for using her foot to expertly re-nudge the box into position.

Now that Mitusko was close enough to Misaki, she could she that she was shivering, from either the embarrasment, the temperature, or both. "I-I was simply coming d-down to help. See if there was anything I-I could help with." She took a few steps away but turned around to face Mitsuko again. A few stray hairs moved back into her face but she seemed too petrified to actually move them back.

Murakami stayed by the container she had adjusted, almost as if she were guarding it. Her head tilted again, as the curious expression return to her face. "Today's inspection is proceeding smoothly, Chui. Is there...um...something else I can assist you with?" She adjusted her glasses, as she tried to search for reasons the Officer might have approached her...only to immediately attempt retreat. "...did the Taii send you to observe me?" Mitsuko frowned at the idea, and at the memory of the romanic entanglement she'd witnessed during the unfortunate 'incident' in Medical. This type of relationship had ended poorly for another Captain and First Officer, and had adversely affected their crew, in her opinion.

"E-Eden-Taii wants working parties to be paired off, I was coming down to help after I figured out that you were down here." She took the datapad back out and held it out, showing a standing duty assignment roster all organized and clean. At the center of the roster, or at least the part in view, was both of their names with the note 'Clerical Duties and Container Management' docked to the side of it. "See?"

She reluctantly abandoned her post at the possibly traumatized container, moving close enough to peer at the datapad. She gave a soft 'hrmph' of annoyance. "All containers are properly managed, Norogumi-Chui. I again assure you."

There was a long, awkward silence as Mitsuko stared up at the taller Neko.

"...do you recquire assistance with your clerical duties?" The Logistics Neko was known for writing long, detailed reports (and citations) without prompting, but she was rarely approached for help with these sorts of projects. Her work was a bit too dry for most non-technical subjects, and she was no technician.

"It would be appreciated, Mitusko-Heisho." She seemed to lighten up a little, the conflict of breaking the ice completed and drifting behind the metaphorical ship that was Misaki. "This isn't like my last posting before I became an officer, there isn't a Clerk's Office. Then again, we are much much smaller that a Sharie."

Murakami tensed up, in comparison, at how her name was used. She wasn't going to correct the Officer, of course. "I have only been assigned to the Plumeria-class. You did not take the Officer's Cabin?" Of course not, she realized a moment later. "Regardless, I suppose the Lounge could be used. Although it is usually much more...lively." She tried to pick a less negative word to describe the temperment of their crew members.

"What assignments are you attempting to complete? I'm not sure I can be of much help, outside of requisitioning supplies."

"Just making absolutely sure that everything we would ever need is in stock, besides that filing for things that we'd need." She pulled up a checklist on her datapad which already was somewhat complete but still had a number of things that needed done.

"I see." There was another long silence, as she examined the words and images on the datapad, eyes flickering about behind those tinted glasses. "...I suppose I can give you a full tour and detailed analysis of our current inventory, in relation to the needs and demands of our crew, taking into consideration the requests the Taii has made of you." She drew hereslf up to her full height, still short even in comparison to the petite Chui.

"We have a few hours before lunch. We shouldn't be too late."

She turned to begin walking towards the container labelled #000-0001, in one far corner of the very large and very cramped Cargo Bay.

"Aardvark, Stuffed Plush, Comically Large." Oh no, she couldn't be serious... "Accordion, Broken, Salvage, Origin Unknown."

She was very serious.

"Artwork, Yamataian (Propaganda). Artwork, Yamataian (Recreational). Asparagus, boiled. Asparagus, steamed. Asparagus, uncooked."

The list continued, as the hours before lunchtime began to slowly tick down...

"Athleticware, black. Athleticware, white."

Misaki checked off and wrote in items before she began to realize that she was going to be here a while, and that things were going to be extremely detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back