• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Power Armour, Mecha etc.

Rob

Inactive Member
there aren't very many types on the main site... are more in production or is that all we'll be seeing for a while?

oh and i made one myself... probably ridiculously overpowered... or maybe just oversized ;)

NovaCorp No-HM-1b
"Juggernautâ€

Welcome to the Star Army!

Most of the current mecha in use by the Star Army fill their roles so well, that while some new versions are under consideration, none have made it into production just yet. The Star Army has so many billions of excess Mindy armor (not to mention spaceships), that it seems somewhat silly to make new ones unless some major flaw is found.

That said, I like the new design and would be willing to put it into service with some monior modifications. The selling part is that it can carry six Lamia/Mindy around with it. We'll stick a hyperspace drive on it and it'll be good to go for special missions!

I am also curious about your corporation. Could we get some background info?

NovaCorp are a relatively new corporation that has been set up by a group of scientists on a massive research station in the Fenyar Cloud. They do not mass produce their products and instead work toward advancing the technology used by current Lamia and other mecha.

The Juggernaut is based around a mecha model designed by humans in order to combat the Mishhuvurthyar that raided the first colonies set up in the Yamatai Star Empire. The original mecha were destroyed by the Mishhuvurthyar because the new colonists only had Titanium alloy armour at the time and not enough of it to build a decent armour casing.

NovaCorp utilises new methods of construction including "foaming" the metal while it hardens (pumping small bubbles of inert gas through the metal that get sealed inside once it hardens making the metal lighter and toughter) and prefer to use solid ammunition in their weapons rather than using energy bolts etc.

NovaCorp.jpg

First things first: This unit's role as a 'planetary assault mecha' makes no sense. The role simply isn't viable enough, since taking a planet is just so ridiculously hard with ground forces that it isn't even funny. That's why the NDI maintains a relatively small ground military that is moved in only for small engagements to secure a single objective or as an occupation force (and is always backed up by its fleet).

Same thing largely applies to the Star Army. It just wouldn't be worth the casualties to invade a planet en masse. It'd be much simpler to send in LAMIA strike teams to capture specific objectives and use the force of space superiority to beat the enemy into submission. When you've got ships capable of wiping out every major population center and/or destroying the planet outright, once you establish space superiority, the battle is largely won.

Moving on: Andrium and Zanarium are lightweight armoring materials that can be (relatively) easily breached. Both are patented products of Phoenix Corporation so if you're using it, you're either doing it illegally or you're paying Phoenix Corporation royalties.

Also, at 15 meters wide, 30 meters tall, and only weighing 60 tons -- this thing is a deathtrap. An infantryman with anti-tank weapons would break this thing apart simply by putting a TAC missile or soliton beam blast on the structural weakpoints. It's too big of a target and the dimensions and weight suggest that per square inch, it's actually less armored than a tank of the same size. A 60-ton tank would not only be cheaper, but could mount more weapons, armor, and survive a whole lot longer on the battlefield. Mecha, even on the human scale, are engineering nightmares. This is why big ass anime mecha aren't feasible and why the NDI and Star Army have abandoned them.

NovaCorp Heavy Assault Rifle (NHAR) : the NHAR is the latest in mecha weaponry - the downside being that only the Juggernaut can hold it because of it's size. The NHAR is essentially a giant gauss rifle that can accelerate it's ammunition up to just under light speed. Because of air friction, the original bullet turns to plasma almost immediately and causes moderate shield damage and extreme damage to any unshielded target. Because of the speed the plasma moves at, it is likely that it will punch a hole straight through it's target. The NHAR also uses the auto-loading system of the juggernaut which contains a further 150 clips for the weapon. The juggernaut can hold up to two of these at any one time.

If the bullet turns to plasma, then why not just use a plasma rifle that uses hydrogen or deuterium as a fuel? You're trying to get too fancy. Simplicity is the name of the game.

NovaCorp Industrial Jump Jets (NIJJ) : three massive solid fuel rockets aided by anti gravity that can propel the Juggernaut through the atmosphere in low orbit at speeds of up to mach 6.

This thing weighs 60-tons and yet is using solid-fuel rockets to move at 6 times the speed of sound? Either one of two things is gonna happen: This is a one-time use thing or you've got to be carrying a shitload of solid-fuel in order to sustain this thing (in which case, this thing should easily weigh many more times than it does).

Ultimately, this entire unit just isn't militarily feasible. It's too big of a target, would cost too much, wouldn't survive long enough, and doesn't pack a big enough punch.

Don't worry, I'll help you make the necessary changes.

So far, I'm thinking:

-Electrostatic propulsion system
-Design mainly for space use, in a command/heavy weapons capacity
-Add some sort of FTL capability that the Mindies can piggyback on.

( Good night )

Yes, Derran's not the most "diplomatic" guy around, but he's got brains. Gotta respect that.

He's pretty much convinced me why large mechas don't work in this setting. But I admit I'm still partial to the darn things. (Too much mecha anime has gone to the brain. X_X ) I'm thinking perhaps re-tooling this as an expendible troop transport, for high-risk missions?

points taken... 60 tons is kinda small for a mecha that big ^^

i still think that the NHAR is pretty good though - the ammunition for it is just a clip filled with large metal balls (eg cannon balls but bigger). it's easier to make big balls of metal than to collect or make hydrogen gas or deuterium and they don't explode if you hit them with something hard enough or hot enough. and at just under the speed of light, even if the ammo doesn't turn into plasma because of air friction, it's at least gonna become seriously superheated.

although firing five times a second would be pretty much impossible except in space because of the heat generated... anyways, try accelerating plasma through an electromagnetic tunnel at that kind of speed and see what happens ^^

Stop misusing the word "clip." please. A clip is small metal device that holds a number of rounds together. For instance, a box of 5.56mm cartridges for my M16A2 contains three clips of ammo.

A magazine is a container for storing ammunition in a weapon. The magazines the Army uses (mostly) hold 30 rounds (that is, three clips worth). A magazine surrounds the ammunition, while a clip just holds it from one end.

The terms should not be used interchangably.

And the other thing is, heat dispersion is a major problem in space! Just because it's "cold" doesn't mean that you can generate as much heat as you want and not worry. It's actually HARDER to get rid of that heat than in the atmosphere because there is nothing around the mecha to transfer heat to. That's why most realistic spaceship designs have giant sections with no other purpose but to act as massive radiators.

I'll be back from class around 1300 or so.

Akamatsu Yoritoki said:
points taken... 60 tons is kinda small for a mecha that big ^^

i still think that the NHAR is pretty good though - the ammunition for it is just a clip filled with large metal balls (eg cannon balls but bigger). it's easier to make big balls of metal than to collect or make hydrogen gas or deuterium and they don't explode if you hit them with something hard enough or hot enough. and at just under the speed of light, even if the ammo doesn't turn into plasma because of air friction, it's at least gonna become seriously superheated.

although firing five times a second would be pretty much impossible except in space because of the heat generated... anyways, try accelerating plasma through an electromagnetic tunnel at that kind of speed and see what happens ^^

Sure, it may be easier to make big balls of metal, but what kind of metal are you talking about? For it to be effective against enemy armor, it's gonna have to be some kind of super-dense material like DU, osmium, tungsten, or in this setting, some kind of space-age metal. Those don't convert to plasma very easily, even under extreme temperatures.

And I reject that 'it's harder to get hydrogen or deuterium' argument: Especially given the extraordinary prevalence of plasma weapons by organizations like the NDI, Jaaq'tah, etc.

Hydrogen is the most common molecule. There's lots of it.

Hydrogen is common but it depends on what method(s) you use to get it.

To supply hydrogen for the whole of the GSA using electrolysis you would use up several planet's worth of water although you can use the oxygen given off in starships and armours. Unless you could find a massive ice field somewhere in space, using electrolysis to get the hydrogen for weapons would leave a lot of planets in the empire dry.

Using hydrogen collected from nebula's would work but it would be very difficult to collect enough hydrogen from a giant, dispersed cloud that contains a lot of other gases and free floating elements.

Transmution (eg ship hull and structure - Zesuaium) could be a viable option if you were willing to find an element that you could obtain in very large quantities and had the energy to convert it in such massive amounts...

And I reject that 'it's harder to get hydrogen or deuterium' argument

did you know that although hydrogen is not rare, deuterium is? deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen, not really an element of its own but different from hydrogen in four ways:

1) it's seven thousand times rarer
2) water containing deuterium kills - it slows down the body's metabolic rates
3) water containing deuterium can be used as a nuclear reactor moderator - this means it can be used to make weapons grade plutonium
4) stellar fusion destroys deuterium completely (it is turned into energy) while normal hydrogen is fused into helium

Especially given the extraordinary prevalence of plasma weapons by organizations like the NDI, Jaaq'tah, etc

sure, they're used a lot but nobody ever says where they get the hydrogen to make the plasma

mmm.... logistics.

The GSA does have the resources and capability to harvest hydrogen in that manner, as they have been constantly removing entire planets and stars off the star map for resources.

The same goes for QIS which has well over 85% of everything it owns invested in resource gathering and the NDI is a huge empire as well as the Jaaq'tah. They both have the planets and technology to gather hydrogen on a large scale using electrolysis

As for transmutation, All GSA shipyards can and do perform that on a regular basis so it wouldn't be hard for the GSA to take raw material and simply transform it to what they need. Remember that because of ZPE power is not an issue.

deuterium would be no harder than hydrogen to make with transmutation, while it still would be rarer than hydrogen it still could be produced in high enough quantities to make it a viable fuel source.

Also, I do make posts with QIS harvesting and processing such resources.

if you were willing to find an element that you could obtain in very large quantities
It's THE most abundant atom in the universe. Of all matter, more than 75% is hydrogen. Source: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 1113i.html

2) water containing deuterium kills - it slows down the body's metabolic rates
Heavy water is mildly toxic. Experiments with mice showed that the main effect of the slightly different reaction rate is to inhibit mitosis, causing progressive damage of tissues that need rapid regeneration. After several days of ingesting only heavy water, the body fluids contain about 50% heavy water, and at this point symptoms begin owing to the decrease in cell division rates of rapidly dividing tissues, such as hair roots and stomach linings. Aggressive cancers might also go into remission, but the effect is not predicted to be great enough to make this a useful therapy.

Poisoning is doubtful except in unusual industrial and scientific situations. It depends on the patient taking only heavy water. An intake of, say, 25% heavy water in ordinary water would produce no symptoms. So it is not so much that heavy water is damaging to health, but rather that light water is necessary for it. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_water#Toxicity
For some stats on Deuterium, see http://www.cem.msu.edu/~cem181h/project ... erties.htm

3) water containing deuterium can be used as a nuclear reactor moderator
You're thinking of D20. Only former USSR reactors use "heavy water."

and USSR reactors are so state of the art *massive sarcasum here just in case anyone misses it*

2 more posts in this tread and its the longest on the site.

bah :'( stop belittling my scientific knowledge...

anyways, i did a total conversion of the Juggernaut and came up with the "Trojan" Tactical Insertion/Extraction Vehicle (TIEV)

NovaCorp No-TV-1a
"Trojanâ€

IC: The empire rejects the patent becuase you cannot take credit for something you found but didn't invent.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back