• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Pre-Mission Eight: Leisure and Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgmond45

Inactive Member
YSS Kaiyō II
Engineering

18日 7月 YE 39 (before mission eight)
1000 Hours (Inspection and Maintenance)

Eden was swinging by after the breakfast on the ship had been served to engineering. She came from the bow of the ship, the bridge, and headed onto the top deck of the bay and looked around to see who was around.

She would see Walter Hyde, casually lying on the metal grating, writing in a worn journal. He had nothing better to do, already having a light breakfast, and checking the status of the many calamitous machinations in this part of the ship three times now. So, having no better place to be, he began writing ideas down to kill some time... Although does he really need to be doing it on the floor?

"Eeto..." Eden began. "Shouldn't you be working, Hyde-hei?" Eden then stepped forward and put a hand on her hip while swaying it forward. She then cocked her head and went on to ask, "Are you at least enjoying yourself?"

The engineer perked upon hearing the voice of his superior, however he kept up with his relaxed act. "Indeed so, Shosha Eden." Walter confirmed as he got on his feet; his journal in one hand, and a pen in the other. He pointed the pen at various machines in Engineering, and stated, "The Aether reactors and the back-up batteries currently have no dents, tears, or any physical deformites that would otherwise be a sign of a potentially fatal disaster. The cores are also stable, the coolant is operational and circulating, the power cables are in good condition, pressure is also stable, and... I believe that is everything one would surely need to know in these maintainance checks. I have been checking this area three times, so it should definitely be in shape for the trip up ahead."

"How are the conduits?" Eden asked, pointing out one thing he had missed.

Walter blinked, and turned to the conduits, and then back to Eden. "... I will be back in a moment." He turned on his heels, and walked over to the conduits as his self esteem deflated substantially. He opened a UI interface and began diagnosing. "Nothing abnormal about the condition of the conduits, Shosa."

"That is good to hear, Hyde-hei," Eden said as her arm lowered and she held both in front of her, clasped. "I am a curious Neko by nature, please, would you appease my curiosity?"

There wasn't a immediate response to her question. Walter thought on that, and figured he may as well oblige. "What would you be curious about?" He asked as he closed the UI.

"What were you writing in your booklet?" Eden asked.

"Ah... This. Hardly anything, to be completely honest. It is only ideas, quotes, sentences, and nothing coherent." The Minkan answered, clearly comftorable with sharing. "It is something that I have used for years as a form of stress relief, and a bank for various ideas to make into a good story."

"Hai!" Eden said as she looked on at the booklet. "Would you care if I looked within it?"

"...Not really no." Walter obliged, however he obviously showed some reluctance in handing over the journal. "Just don't expect a masterpiece out of this, alright? It's just a lot of random ... Things."

"Oh, that's very kind of you, Hyde-hei. Thank you," she said and placed the journal in both of her hands. She opened the cover and she moved the spine just so as to make the first few blank pages flip until she was on the truly covered pages. She laid her eyes upon the first few sentences she saw and read over them, then scurried with her golden orbs onto a different quote. She placed a hand on the page and then looked to the one to her left, the back of a page. She read over that while she murmured.

"This is all very insightful stuff, Walter."

Walter chuckled, smiling gently. "Thank you, Shosa. Truth be told, I am finding myself always coming here to write things down." He turned his gaze to the Aether engines, their faint thrumming go through his feet like a creek flowing by. "I feel like I am closer to the ship in this way; I feel closer to the brightest of lights, the of clouds of stone and ore, the tapestry of the gas giants..."

"Well," Eden said. "This is all some very well-thought out writing. Nevertheless," Eden handed back the journal. "This is the last time you'll do it during the time for inspection and maintenance."

"Oh... Understood." The Minkan felt a little embarrassed once again, the red blush prevailent through his otherwise neutral expression. "You will not catch me doing this again."

Eden smiled, "But your personal time at 0730 hours and 1700 hours are your own business. You are one of the select few allowed in this room, even when you don't have a responsibility to."

Walter blinked his near-neon orange eyes, then smiled in kind. "Indeed I am. Thank you, Shosa Eden. I will do better next time." He did a light bow before his superior, in show of respect.

Eden bowed in exchange and then patted Walter on the back. "I want you to join the away team when we go to Komorebi, Walter Hyde-hei."

Walters' eyes widened for a moment; he had been trained to fight, most definitely. Although he was looking foward to staying on the ship instead of fighting! Why does she want him to join the away the away team?

"Not to be skirting orders, I am more than obliged to do so. But surely someone else is more fit for my place, right?" He asked, his voice laced with worry. "I mean, you already have capable fighters in your group."

"And now we will have you, as well. You will be one of those capable fighters, Hyde-hei." Eden told him.

I am hoping to the stars above that this will not be difficult on me..., Walter thought to himself. Willing to undergo the task, he replied with, "Understood, Shosa Eden. I will do my best." While displaying confidence, Walter had everything but that deep down.

"Enjoy the rest of your afternoon," Eden said and bowed, then turned and was out of engineering.

"I will..." Walter said to no one. He sighed, turned to a empty page in his journal, and he expelled his thoughts into the page with the stroke of his pen. They were thoughts of trepidation and gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back