• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Pre-Mission Nine: It's Technically Medical Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

club24

Everything Is Magical
YSS Kaiyō II
Power Armor Bay/Medbay
15日 8月 YE 39
1145 Hours

Miles stepped into the power armour bay with a slight frown on his face, for almost half an hour he'd been trying to track down the elusive Walter and ask him to cast his expert eye over the equipment in the medbay, while Miles was the one who worked with the tech and systems he thought with a new mission coming up its best to get the opinion of someone who understands machines as well as his own.

The engineer had been staring at a weapons rack for a while, considering what loadout he should be using. So far, absolutely has come to mind for the past fifteen minutes except getting rid of the explosives. Even still, they make for nice spare material if he were to run out in his fabrication pack. Walter, puzzled with the grand mysteries of the universe and the power armor loadout in question, returned to stand before his power armor with a half-lidded expression.

Miles spotted Walter staring at the weapons just as he turned to leave and walked quickly over to him. "Uhh excuse me sir, I'm Miles Belmont, I joined the medical department recently so you may not have known I was here. I've heard we will be deploying on another mission soon and was wondering if as the ships engineer you would mind having a look over some of the gear in the medbay." Miles hoped he wasn't interupting the engineer during anything important and looked as formal as he could with his request.

"Oh?" Walter Hyde turned his head to the medic, his expression didn't change. "You need my help, huh?", he asked in a casual manner. If Walter could be honest with himself, he's more than happy to do any form of engineering work. To him, it's just a fun activity. Picking out weapons feels sort of like homework. Walter didn't say any of it out loud, however. "I will see what I can do to help, Miles.", the tall Minkan answered with a soft smile. Walter walked past Miles, hands in his pockets, his demeanor calm, confident, and even approachable. "You do not mind if you take me to the medbay, right?"

"Not at all sir, and thanks for agreeing to help even though I understand what they do and how to use them I thought it would do no harm to get someone with intricate machine knowledge to also have a look." Miles stepped out into the hallway and began to head back to the medbay where he spent most of his on duty and some off duty hours. Having only been on board the ship a short while Miles was still getting used to the layout but could easily find his way to the medbay from anywhere else thanks to his excellent memory for directions.

Upon arriving, Walter immediately went to work on diagnosing the machines in the medbay. He started with the computers first; they were the hub of essential medical devices all around the room. The engineer hummed a small tune as he worked, clearly enjoying himself. "Well, so far your computer -" Immediately, an error pops up on the UI of the computer. "... Missing solid-state drive... That can't be right." He flipped the compact machine upside down, pried it open, and tinkered with it's insides. "Well I'll be. It accumulated dust in here. I thought everyone was taking good care of these machines, but I suppose even I can be wrong about some things.", mused Walter Hyde. He blew into the machine, cleared the dust out, flipped the machine right-side up, and waited for it to reboot.

Miles had moved over to the operating tables and some of the bigger machines and was preparing them for the inspection, switching off and removing casing when he heard Walter prying apart the computer and commenting on the upkeep. "Wow I didn't expect it to be this bad, probably a good thing i called you last thing we need is a computer crash when trying to treat you guys"

"Yeah, you don't need to tell me twice." Walter shuddered at the thought of ... Never mind that, that will never happen to anyone, at least while everyone has a level head on their shoulders. The engineer kneeled before the operating tables, satisfied to not hear anything abnormal when he moved some joints in the table, one by one. "These are solid, at the very least." Walter moved onto the Hemosynthetic Reconstruction Tubes, and began diagnosing them. "Hm... The tubes look to be alright, although just to be safe, let's run some tests." The Minkan turned to look at Miles. "You mind turning these on from the computer?", he asked.

"No worries, I'll run the default systems check and then also the advanced movement check on the macro parts of the bench too, then we can run any more afterwards if needed." Miles fiddled with the controllers for the benches and set the systems to perform their assigned checks.

Of course, they can simply run systems checks for everything. It's a wonder that Walter didn't think of that.. The obvious eludes him sometimes. "Oh, right. I... didn't think of that.", he admitted with a tinge of embarrassment. With watchful, orange eyes, he observed each machine in the medbay running their checks. Aside from that computer, everything is running very smoothly. "Well, the medbay's otherwise as good as it will ever get.", Walter stated, his arms crossed. "This room should be ready for any potential patients now."

As the computer ran its checks Miles kept his eye on the diagnostics report, one line seemed to be getting skipped in each cycle however which threw him off, with a slight frown Miles stopped and ran his gaze over the list once more searching for the missing line. "I wouldn't be so sure Wal-Sir, take a look at this one line is consistently missing from the cycles"

"Oh?" Walter steps up to the computer, side by side with Miles. He furrowed his brows, concerned and puzzled at the same time. "Well, I am at a loss for words..." The engineer felt stumped; coding isn't his forte, even though he has some basic knowledge at hand. "Have you tried rebooting?" As lame as it sounded, rebooting can help with many problems with computers.

Miles rebooted the bench systems and ran another check, the missing line continued to persist. "This does not build my confidence in these systems, let me check the manuals and some previous logs" Miles opened up the previous test logs on the medbays system and began to scan through the lines looking for one that was not in his current test.

"Yes, they can hopefully tell us what is missing." The engineer felt kind of nervous; if one thing goes awry, then anyone could be in jeopardy. He hoped to the stars that there's something, anything!

Miles scanned through the list reading line after line from things like if the hydraulic fluid was full all the way to how accurate the surgery laser was. Then he spotted one that was new to him, it appeared the SPINE interface for the precision surgery equipment was offline meaning they had no way of using the lasers and other micro equipment unless done manually which was beyond inaccurate. "Sir i found the code line, the SPINE system is down in the precision surgery equipment, any idea how we fix this up?"

SPINE, SPINE.... What to do with that subsystem... Walter thought on it for a moment. The components in there are rather delicate, so it may be possible that it could have been damaged upon installation. He would rather believe otherwise, but technicians can be sloppy with assembly. "I must have a look at the equipment, just to be sure it is in good condition. I will let you know when you can do another system check." Walter then asked, "... You don't happen to know where the equipment would be, right?"

Miles tapped a few more commands into the system which then brought out the precision equipment, luckily as a medical staff member he'd had to learn how to use all the eqiupment in the medbay before he was even allowed on the ship. "All the apendages stem from this processor unit here." He said pointing to a small white-cassed box at the head of the table which now had several arms with various tools protruding from it. "We are told that these systems should rarely ever need maintainance but I guess they never tested them on an active ship before, man I get annoyed at them for this stuff."

"And here I was thinking that the worst that can happen was dust in a computer... We've been letting this sit around untouched for weeks." Walter said with only slight irritation. At this point, he understood why some engineers would get mad, and is thankful that he has a great deal of patience. He popped open the processor unit's casing, glancing over the internals a several times. "Nothing out of the ordinary..." Through his repitoire of knowledge, the tall Minkan sifted through technical drawings of the table itself, imagining every nut, every screw, every tube, every piece of metal and plastic, all down to the finest meter possible. Then, and only then, did he see the issue. "It appears this unit has a minor manufacturing error." With a careful finger, he pointed to five slanted wires; four of them connecting to an output, and one being a stray wire. "All of those wires are one connection point off, and as a result it is sending four crucial commands to the wrong places, and one of them isn't even connected to anything.", Walter explained casually. "It is minor fault, but it is certainly enough to render the table as good as dead."

"All because of some loose wires." Miles muttered under his breath, he was glad now more than ever he'd edlisted Walters help in checking the medbay equipment as there was only so much they can teach in the academy to the medics. "Do you need any other gear or is it able to be fixed like this?" He asked as he quickly looked through the logs for the other tables checks and didn't notice anything missing or strange.

Walter considered his options; unfortunately, this ship didn't have anything in the form of advanced repair equipment, much to his surprise when he first joined the crew. He wondered if the tools that are currently depolyed could possibly help him in this situation... "Do these have a manuel override?", asked the Minkan as he gestured to the various tools at the ends of the mechanical arms.

"They do sir, only to be used in extreme situations where SPINE interface is not available, and as far as my judgement goes this is one of them." Miles typed in another line and a small warning appeared on the screen, dismissing it he then opened up the locked control box next to the precision equipment and briefly explained the controls to Walter. "Each arm usues the same controls and this switch is to flick between the arms, you have a dial for using the tool on the arm and these two are to extend and retract them telesopically, anything else you need?"

"Afraid not... Thank you." Walter stood at the controls, his palms were sweaty and his eyes, only his eyes, gave the indication that the engineer was worried. He flicked a switch, and manipulated a nimble grabber arm to grasp one of the four connected wires. He flicked another switch, and moved the surgical laser over the sautered connection, where the wire and its incorrect output met. Flashing the surgical laser in three... Two... Within one second, the laser fired at the connection, removing the wire. Well that worked, but I cannot just flash the wire onto the right output., he thought to himself. Carefully, Walter dialed down the intensity of the laser. The moment he switched to the grabber, he moved the newly freed wire by a smidge, hovering it over the correct connection point. Carefully, the engineer sautered that wire back into place.

The only thing Miles would get out of Walter is a sigh of relief; the engineer said nothing, nor did he look away from the task at hand. One by one, Walter moved each of the four remaining wires, painstakenly making sure to not mess up. No margin of error. Poor accuracy, even by a margin, would damage the processor. After a solid half of an hour, using the kind of tools that shouldn't be used for repair and maintainance, Walter finally fixed the problem. "Run the diagnostics report again, Miles.", he requested.

Miles nodded and initiated another systems check, this time the SPINE codes displayed correctly indicating the repair had gone successfully. "Everything is good here sir, well done on that repair. That should be all the equipment that needed maintainence now so thank you once again for lending a hand, I doubt anyone here has the precision to pull off what you just did." Miles retracted the precision equipment back into the operating table and closed the terminal. "If there's anything in the future that I can help you with you know where to find me."

Walter nodded in return, donning his casual and semi-interested look on his face. "Without a doubt in my mind, Miles. I am just happy to fix whatever gets broken." He turned, and walked into the door. Though, just before he left, Walter figured he would give Miles one request; a seemingly trivial one. "One more thing... Please call me Walter, alright? I know it is out of ettiquite, but calling me 'sir' is telling me you are respecting Hyde-hei the Engineer, and not Walter Hyde. Walter is who wanted to solve your problems, not Hyde-hei.", he said.

"I'll keep that in mind, Walter." Miles said with a slight grin before turning to move onto his next item of business leaving the engineer to his own devices as well.

Walter opened the door, happy with Mile's answer. "Take care, Miles." With that, he left the medbay to create more philosophical concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back