• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Pre-Mission Nine: Miles' Induction

Status
Not open for further replies.

club24

Everything Is Magical
YSS Kaiyō II
Captain's Ready Room
31日 7月 YE 39
1300 Hours (Training time of the day)

It was during the training period of the day that Taiyou Hoshi had asked Miles Belmont to her ready room. She sat going over files through her SPINE interface in her chair as the tropical fish in a corner floated throughout its bubble-like tank. It was situated on a bookshelf to the starboard side of the door into her ready room and once in awhile she looked up from her work to watch the colofrul fish then her eyes would go back to staring absently as she went over the files.

Miles Belmont stood outside the door and stood wondering if his choice to become part of the Star Army would be a regretful one, he thought of how his brother had gone before him and decided that this was the path he should follow. Raising his hand slowly the eldest Belmont brother rapped his knuckles three times on the door before standing at attention waiting for a response from within.

Hoshi let Boss, the MEGAMI, know that it was an opportune time to open the doors for Miles and nodded tersely as she saw him at attention. She waited for a salute from him and when he had done so, she motioned for him to sit in the chair on the opposite side of the desk from her.

Miles sat down in the chair he was directed to and waited to be adressed. Miles scanned the room with his eyes not daring to move his head for fear of offending the Captain or seeming disrespectfu.

"Belmont-hei, I would like to ask you if you are ready to see combat in our next mission. Are you?" Hoshi asked, getting straight to the point.

"As a medic my primary duty is to ensure the survival and safety of the crew, however should I be placed in a combat situation I shall carry out orders without hesitation, including going against my principles as a medic and fighting with intent to kill Ma'am." Miles sat straight with his eyes forwards as he gave his response, if it couldn't be avoided he knew he must go against his training and his own morals and had anticipated such a question.

"Good, now that that is settled, let's move on to orders of greater importance. What is on your mind?" Hoshi said.

Miles looked a little confused after being asked what was on his mind, his personal experience was that as a member of the Yamatai Star Army and a low one at that, his own thoughts on matters were not required. Having been asked by the captain he assumed there was something important he was supposed to reply with. "Well Ma'am I'm not quite sure what to reply with, I suppose I'm looking forward to serving on the ship and seeing my brother again. And i guess it would be nice to meet new people"

Hoshi's blue eyebrows went up on her pink face as she said, "If you're anything like your brother, you're a delight!"

Miles wondered exactly what kind of an impression his brother had made since he'd joined the ship as his home experience taught him they were usually quite different individuals with some commen ground, although people was not one of them. "I'm not sure if im that similar to him but i will do my best not to disrupt the ship"

Hoshi almost laughed. "I wish I had caught you while off duty like I did him. But anyway, I'll find out soon enough. Do you have time to join me in the observation deck at the top of the ship?"

"Is that a question or an order?" Miles asked seriously although it could be mistaken for humour.

It was. Hoshi laughed out and put her hand on Miles' forearm while she passed by him. She came into the bridge and those there stood but she nodded and they sat. She walked them out of the bridge and in the hallway asked a question of the medic.

"Where do you see yourself within the Star Army, Belmont-hei?" she said.

Miles had only ever considered himself the medic of whichever crew he joined, promotions and ranks weren't things he was crazy about chasing although he could see why it would be appealing. "I haven't givin it much thought, I just joined the Star Army to provide support for our troops, within the army I'd be content with doing just that and leave the commanding to those more qualified.

"That's very good, Belmont-hei. In it for the simplest and most complex reasons are important." Hoshi then moved over to Miles and patted him on the shoulder as they walked. "You'll be fine at doing exactly what you're setting out to do, no problem."

"Thank you chusa, I hope I won't dissapoint your expectations" Miles walked on waiting for his captains next orders with his hands clasped behind his back.

Finally they were at the observation deck and Hoshi replied, "Follow me in?"

"Of course" he replied not sure if he should be opening the door for her instead but decided to follow the captains direction instead.

She led him into the room that had an espansive window to the outside and underneath that, bonsai trees on shelves that Hoshi herself had helped pick out. She sat on one of the lounge chairs and sat back.

"There is no such thing as an easy victory, in my opinion. Do you agree?" Hoshi asked.

Miles remained standing as he listened "I am no strategist but if the enemy inflicted no damage upon us while we either destroy or capture them would that not be an easy victory? With all do respect chusa, should you really discuss these kinds of things with myself being just a low ranking medic?" Miles didn't want to be rude but thought it odd she would ask he questions that are more relevant to someone higher ranked and more qualified than himself.

Hoshi's smile did not fade as she spoke, "I think everyone has an opinion I want to hear on all matters. You have security clearance for my philosophies, I am sure of that."

Miles looked at the face of his captain and tried unsucessfully to supress a smile of his own, she was unlike anyone he'd ever expected to be in command of a ship and you couldn't help but smile along with her. "Well thats awfully kind of you captain" Miles said with finally starting to loose his professional appearance and taking a seat across from Hoshi.

Hoshi smiled back and looked to him with an air of nonchalance. "What is the greatest pleasure in life for you?"

"My greatest pleasure in life huh?" Miles looked over towards the bonsai trees, having studied biology and been facinated with it his whole life Miles found a calm in the small trees. "I'd have to say that when I'm able to do good for others, and improve people's lives, that's what I enjoy in life and what really makes me appreciate the life I lead."

"That is a very noble answer, you know. I envy your steadfast moral compass." Hoshi mused, "We do not all have such a thing. What do you think of the mission that just transpired?"

Miles had not been present for the last mission and furrowed his brow as he recalled the details described in the after action reports. "While it is impossible for me to understand it entirely, from the details I have read it seemed to be an awfully messy situation that couldn't be avoided, had I been involved I have no doubt that I would have also had to join in the fight. After all in a war there isn't such a place as the sidelines, even for someone as committed to peaceful science and helping others such as myself."

"Ask Hyde-hei about the sidelines," Hoshi replied to Miles. "Have you gotten to know the AI he brought back from Komorebi?"

"No I don't belive we've met yet, but I do intend to get to know as many people as I can while I'm here," Miles was generally a shy person who kept to himself but liked to make an effort to know the people he worked with. "If you dont mind my asking Chusa, do you belive it's a bad thing for a medical officer to have any sort of attachment with a patient? As an example if a friend of theirs was hurt and they had to treat them do you belive it would be better or worse to have known them well beforehand?"

"Many researchers would tell you it is, yes," was Hoshi's terse reply. She wanted to get that out of the way before she asked, "You've made friends then, that's good."

Fearing he'd stepped out of line Miles dropped his head and brought his hands together in his lap. "Sorry it wasn't my place to be asking. Was there anything else you need me for?" Miles looked up at her with his expression back to its plain state, that of a soldier waiting for orders.

"No, there is not," the captain said.

Miles rose from the chair and stood at attention, he knew that there was no point trying to continue the discussion was over and it seemed as though he'd made a bad impression on the captain which he wished he hadn't. "Permission to be dismissed Chusa." He said staring straight ahead without breaking his tone.

"Permission granted," Hoshi said with a nod and saluted back before sliding deep into her chair and going about her work.

Miles turned and headed to the door pausing and contemplating whether or not he should say something, deciding against it he moved through and continued back to resume his training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back