• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō [Pre-Mission Six] Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakei

The Breakfast Baron
New Kyoto
Ketsurui Resort
17日 4月 YE 39
1250 Hours

Anastasia Barlow stood nervously by an overlook at one end of the resort town. The view was beautiful and the wind was steady. She was dressed in casual clothing, a red shrt and grey shorts going down to her knees. She wore a small satchel bag over her right shoulder, which was an odd fit around her wings. She looked around for some of the others in her crew. She had arranged this meeting the day before, and hoped some of the fellow Elysians would come to assist her. Nervousness and excitement boiled in the technician's chest.

She wanted to fly.

Suprisingly, Orion was the first to appear. Wearing a white shirt under a dark blue jacket, with jeans on, and still wearing his sunglasses he walked up to the nervous looking Anastasia, stopping aside her.
"Very nice view.. isn't it"

Anastasia was slighly startled and turned to see her temporary roomate, smiling after realizing who it was. They had become good friends over the course of this vacation. "Yeah it is, the bay is beautiful." Her left wing twitched slightly, still having some issues adjusting after many years of being stil. If anything, Anastasia had expected Yoshida to rocket in first.

"No one has arrived yet? Huh.. I thought I'd be last as always.."
Orion put both of his hands into his jacket pockets, admiring the sights for a moment. His wings were folded up in a not so messy manner on his back, although it seemed like he had woken up not so long ago.

Meissa, meanwhile...this time showed up dragging in Mat. And, of course, Mochi and Arbs, because Mochi needed to improve his flight a little. Probably.
"Hey, I'm the cat this time." Meissa yelled at the technician. "Look who I dragged in."
She plopped herself down in the grass, stomach-down and wings up. "So, gotta give someone else lessons on how to fly it seems?"

"Meissa I don't think that's how the saying goes..."
Orion didn't even look back, it was kind of obvious who had just struck into the scene.

"It's totally how it works, Orion." she replied, her face breathing in the soft grass and earthy soil. "Just change it up, that's all."

"Oh no.. I've engaged conversation with someone else.."
Obvious traces of sarcasm could be heard from his voice as he turned back to face the owl currently on the soil.

"Oh no, I'm speaking." Meissa mumbled. "Whatever shall I do."

Anastasia looked between the two birds awkwardly, before sighing. "Yes, I do. I was hoping you all could... help."

"Yeah sure! Not as experienced but I could help..."
He stopped staring at Meissa, now looking up at Anastasia.

Yoshida showed up just a tad later than the others, carefully listening as she walked over, wearing a simple grey shirt with a light blue jacket, and a matching skirt. Walking on the tips of her toes, humming as she aproached. "So, am I going to see any angels take flight today?" Yoshida asked with a grin.

Anastasia looked up at the sudden Neko, grinning. "Hopefully... It looks like good weather today..."

She slung the bag off her shoulder and onto the ground, threading her wing out of the strap. The bag plopped to the ground, spewing out a few papers in a folder. "I just... I don't know how to. Glad you all came out..." Anastasia seemed like a nervous mess now that people had started arriving.

Mochi shot Anastasia a beaming smile. "It's easy enough once you give in to instinct, trust me." the new Elysian reassured her, despite the fact that he himself only very recently started flying himself.

"It'll be fine." Meissa replied. "You'll instantly know how to fly once you get in the air. Just, don't freak."
Mat sat down next to Meissa. "Why is this such a big deal?"

"It's like learning how to swim, or a Neko not knowing how to hover, Mat." Meissa clarified. "You can not touch water the rest of your life, and a Neko can just live without hovering, but it's just one of the skills you should learn. Luckily, most of us Elysians have the knowledge on how to fly embedded in us somewhere. I personally just threw myself at the problem enough times until instinct kicked in. Then took a long while to refine my technique...it's like martial arts really."

Like how the Lorath have an ingrained idea that they must fly, no matter what. At least, to Meissa. It was just one of those things passed along in a mother's milk. Or so the expression goes. Meissa didn't claim to be good at expressions.
"Huh. I never thought about it that way." Mat remarked. "But why drag me along too? I mean, I like flying with my inertial fields, but..."

"Because you have perfect control over your flight." Meissa answered. "So, if someone screws up, you'll probably be able to catch them." Of course, Yoshida was there. She didn't account for that. Maybe she should have, on second thought.

"So, where should I start..?" Anastasia asked of the leisurely owl. "I don't really feel an instinct coming on." She gave her healthy wings a little flap, pushing up a small gust of air that rustled the grass in front of them.

"Probably...the same routine as Mochi, I'd say." Meissa suggested. "Maybe Yoshida can hold you down?"

Have that, Yoshida. Maybe the Neko could get a little out of it. Wait, what?

"Huhhh would that help? You want her to sit there and flap in place for practice?" Yoshida stepped closer even as she asked, she didn't mind the idea of keeping anastasia grounded one bit, given her slight grin and tail swishing speeding up.

"Hey, before you swim you get used to paddling in the water." Meissa replied.
"Well, I guess thats a start..." Anastasia relaxed for a moment before starting to pump the muscles in her wings. Starting with small, slow flaps, she built up power. Each rotation and flap became more powerful than the last, soon starting to act like a fan. A very forceful fan. It was visible she was having some issues keeping balance, stumbling on occaison.

Yoshida quickly accelerated as she noticed Anastasia flapping, and held off for just a moment, thinking her to be fine. "Heyy you're doing good! Just- oh" She cut herself off as Anastasia stumbled, finally having decided yes, she did need
assistance. So she walked up and planted her hands on Anastasia's shoulders in an attempt to keep her firmly in place. "Don't fall now! I'd never forgive myself!" She said with a grin.

"Yeah, just, uh, flap until you get used to the idea of doing it and you figure out how balance works." Meissa shouted over the wind. "Don't worry if you fall, most do on their first flight!"

Mochi, of course, was the exception. The best speculation Meissa had for that was Minkan hovering. Gave him an idea on how balance without solid earth under his feet worked, most likely.

"Oohkay..." Anastasia continued the rhythmic movement, starting to get the hang of it. She looked slightly terrifyed, or excited. It was hard to tell. She gave a chuckle at Yoshida's command, feeling the shorter neko grab her shoulder. Yoshida probably had to actively avoid being slapped by a wing, with the force of a small car.

"Atleast you have some help. My first flight... Let's just say I hit the ceiling... Hard..."
Orion chuckled to himself as he remembered that first time he flapped his wings, which pretty much sent his little body to the ceiling. It didn't hurt or it wasn't really a bad memory, one of the only good memories he even had of his childhood, his flight lessons.

"Hey, I had to figure out how to fly in a dense city block." Meissa threw at Orion. "I hit my head on way too many walls and tight corners."

Meissa did think it was good practice, though. She gave herself that as the reason why she probably could beat most of her Elysian crewmates at flying.
"I was taught at the age of two, and indoors... In a very enclosed space, Soooo.... Ouch"

After a few minutes of practicing, Anastasia slowed to a stop. Yoshida could feel her regular, light weight now that there wasn't the tremendous force trying to pull her off the ground. She looked at Meissa and Orion, breathing deeply. It felt kind of fun. "Okay... I think I've got the flapping down"

Yoshida spent a good portion of that whole experience flinching at wings passing a little too close for comfort, but she refused to let Anastasia just fly up and slam into something untill she was ready. Also the part where she could feel just how much power anastas'as wings could put out was awesome squared to the cat for that whole experience. As she finally slowed then stopped, she grinned and shook her arms out. "That was quite the workout there! Hope you really do have it down! Not sure i can do that for another ten minutes." She said with a laugh.

"Remember to always stay calm in flight, don't get too excited or panic, if you do you'll lose control. "

Orion smirked as he saw Anastasia's progress. Atleast she had friends to help her out.

Anastasia looked at Orion and nodded with a smile, taking the advice. She'd try to follow it.

"Alright, guess we'll moment of truth it." Meissa said. "Let go, and let's hope Anastasia doesn't fall over almost instantly when she tries to jump into the air with her wings. Someone catch her if she falls."

Anastasia looked somewhat wide eyed, before breathing again. "A-alright..." She stalled around for a while, wondering what could happen should things go wrong. She looked visibly nervous at the all too sudden reality. She forced herself to do it.
Anastasia took off running down the grassy Hill stretching down the overlook. She extended her cobalt wings fully, giving them a series of powerful flaps. In an unexpected instant, her feet were off the ground.

A mix of half laughing and half screaming could be heard as she gained a fair bit of lift. She started to pull up giving another strong flap. She made the mistake, however, of ascending too quickly. Soon Anastasia slowed and tumbled back down several meters to the ground, landing with a slide like a batter going after first base. It could be called asomewhat successful attempt. At least she got off the ground.

"Hey, you did it! You flew!" Meissa shouted. "Do it again!"

Yoshida breathed a sigh of releif, she hadn't been quite fast enough on the trigger to notice anastasia was falling in order to catch her in time. Luckily she SEEMED to be unhurt from what she could see. "Great first try! Don't worry if you fall after the second time trying i'll catch you for sure!" She sounded like she meant it, somewhat beating herself up mentally over not catching her the first time. She didn't expect anastasia to just go for it so quickly.

Orion walked over, lending her his hand over to her with a smile

"Nicely done, you just had your first flight... You are okay right?"

Anastasia laid there for a few moments, before all the sound came rushing back to her. She had taken a rough landing but nothing felt broken or out of place. "I-I'm fine, thank you." She regret the impulsive decision, taking Orion's hand.
"Nothing feels wrong, just a few bruises maybe."

She stretched, smiling upon realizing she had flew. It was a short flight, but one nonetheless. She was still pumped full of adrenaline, looking around. "Should I try again, with more speed?"

"Do it." Meissa replied.
Yoshida was quiet for a moment, giving a stare to the location where Orion and Anastasia's hands had met, her tail flicking like a whip, fast, but only about once every second. "Mhpp. Uhh.. Yeah, Don't worry i'll go long and catch you this time! I hear landing is hard." Yoshida quickly stretched for a moment, affirming her own sense of just how limber she was, before 'going long' exactly as she put it. And hovering quite rapidly to do so, not quite looking at any one.

Anastasia looked over at Yoshida, letting go of Orion's hand. "Thank you, Yoshi."
Anastasia started back up the hill, stopping at the top and looking back at the small group. After a few moments of waiting, she started her run down the hill for the seconds pass. With a series of powerful flaps, she was off the ground. She ascended much more smoothly, higher than before. Meter after meter she rose until reaching a point. She started to glide, laughing with a mix of surprise and fear. She was trying to keep herself together, having issues keeping balanced with nothing below her. It wasn't as easy as it looked, occasionally swooping around closer to the ground than for comfort.

"And there she goes!" Meissa shouted. "She's flying!"

"You're doing amazingly! Keep it up!" Orion shouted. Orion then extended his wings and ran off, lifting himself up into the air with a couple of flaps from his hawk like wings, catching up to Anastasia with ease, flying aside her, not too close to cause an accident.

Anastasia continued circling in practice, becoming smoother and less shaky as she went about again and again. Orion's appearanced surprised her, causing her to sway to one direction. She looked surprised, but ecstatic. She dipped down below the face of the cliff, before swooping back above it. She was getting better at it.

Yoshida looked on in awe, and immense worry with each low to the ground swoop. Her entire body itching to run over and intercept each time. Suffice to say, she nearly had a heart attack as the engineer angel dipped behind a cliff. So much did that breif disappearence give her a rather spooked feeling, that she almost didn't note Orion. Orion who was flying along side her angel. "You uh... Doing great Ana! Just make sure to come over here when you're landing!" She shouted out, hoping to be heard over what were probably somewhat high winds up there. She sounded enthuesiastic mostly, but there was a slight edge to her voice, a combination of worry and jealousy creeping in yet further. She soon grabbed ahold of her own tail to stop her biggest tell-tail sign of that particular brand of discomfort, that wild whip like swishing. "... Don't fall away from me please."
Anastasia heard the voice of Yoshida and turned her head to face her. She nodded in response and yelled something, but it was rather hard to hear.

Orion kept notice on her dips and sudden dives and reminded her,
"Remember to stay calm and pay attention to what you're doing, don't get distracted, it's easier to crash that way!"

The distracted technician turned her field of view back to Orion, before understanding and looking back at her flight path. She continued flying, taking advice and getting better at keeping control. After a few minutes turned many minutes of practice, Anastasia came in for a landing, slowing down to a running pace by Yoshida.

Yoshida shuffled over and popped up off the ground in a hover as Anastasia began her landing process, humming along to a tune as she moved under her, and began quickly hovering backwards to keep pace with her, letting her sink down and land on her shoulder stomach, cushioned by the arms guiding her into place. "Gotcha!" She shouted as she let off a wide grin. "That looked like a lot of fun! Wish I coulda been up there with you in the sky like that!"

Anastasia slowed and stopped the beating of her wings, caught in Yoshida's landing hug. She returned the hug happily, feet touching the ground with a wobble. She looked excited and exhausted. "It felt fantastic! And terrifying!"

Yoshida grinned back, and gave her a comforting pat. "sounds like it!"

Orion slowly landed close by, landing heavily on the grassy field,one of his wings was visibly lowered down, as he slightly winced.
"Shouldnt have done that..." He said as he sat down on the grassy field.

Anastasia turned to face the landing Orion. She reached out and brought him into the hug, excited. "That was incredible! Thank y-"

Anastasia pulled back from the hugs, looking at Orions limp wing. "Are you alright??"

The hug had worsened Orion's pain, as he winced more when Anastasia hugged him in exictement, his wing drooped down as he looked at Ana, trying to force a smile.
"No im fine it's... Nothing"

Yoshida meanwhile, had tensed up like a bundle of steel cords pulled taut as Orion was pulled into the hug and forced into contact with her. She could only feel the icky, burning jealiusy in her gut, like somone had set fire to an oily tar swamp. So, she sat there, stock still for a moment, and took stock of the situation, hover handing over Orion instead of hugging him exactly, before she noted the apperent pain. "Heeyy you should uh, go see the medic! It might be serious don'tcha know?" At least, she was getting much better at keeping her voice level, and very nearly her normal joyous sounding self.

"Ah fine... It was from last time in the misshu invasion... I got injured but it eventually healed, seems like it hadn't completed to repair though... Flying kinda screwed it up"

"I agree... I think you should go see a doctor." Anastasia slowed down and pulled her own recently rejuvenated wings against her back, crossing them at the bottom. "Sorry..."

"Ah it's okay, I probably shouldn't have just taken to the skies anyways, should've warned you earlier"

He folded his wing carefully, just so it didn't cause any more pain to his nervous system.
"You did great though."

@squidrobot111 @Speeder01 @META_mahn With the revival the shamblespad, this JP is alive again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back