• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Pre-Mission Thirteen: Dancedroid and Waltzer

Noodlewerfer

YSS Kaiyo II
VR Room

Primarily, this room has been used for simulations of battles, as if it were a expensive arcade game where you can fit as many people as you like. Though Walter decided to make use of it for dance practice. The AI that the room uses is suitable enough for the tuxedo-wearing Minkan, as he danced under the blood-red moonlight with a short, faceless woman. The music in the background, the calm setting, it's rather ideal for a man who's been practicing with various body types for about two hours now.

The music suddenly started getting interrupted by a loud clanking sound. Chlorate entered the VR Room and looked around.

Walter paused, letting the virtual partner disconnect from him and vanish. Midst the cobbled streets, the towering homes of painted brick, the red moon and the lonely streetlights, it appeared that the Minkan was dancing in a small village setting. He turned to the android with curious orange eyes, a little surprised by her coming in. "Hello... Chlorate. Hello Chlorate. Were you going to use this room?" He brushed his raven-black hair back.

"Negative, I came here to investigate what simulation was being used," said Chlorate, who eyed the village.

"Ah, I see." He looked up at the night sky, then back down to the android, whom's basically painted red by the moon. "This is the kind of place you'd find back on Ayenee. Quiet, simple, mysterious, and to some... Beautiful. Some, like me." Walter shrugged, smiling softly. "By definition, I think I'm a little homesick."

"Homesick? What does that mean?" asked Chlorate. "Are you infected with an organic disease?"

He shook his head. "Yare yare daze, it's just a phrase, Chlorate. You know, when you miss your home a lot." The technician wondered how many naive soldiers are on this ship, surely not more than Chlorate and Shasse.

"Define 'yare yare daze'... and are you not home? I thought the Yamatai Star Empire was your home?" Chlorate, unfortunately, had not yet found out that this Walter Hyde was not the Walter Hyde she originally knew. As a result, she thought this was still the Walter that had found her in the middle of a battle and lived in Yamatai.

"Well Chlorate, that's where you are wrong. Before I go any further, though, what was your relationship with Walter Hyde?" Walter's hands crossed behind his back, and one of his elvish ears flicked, his tone just a little more somber.

"My relationship with Walter Hyde? Do you not mean my relationship with you?" She paused, puzzled. "I believe I was hovering over a field in a drone, and you were ordered to guide me away from the combat area, so you took me to a forest, only some kind of anomaly damaged the drone. Then you fixed it and transfered me to your FARS because the drone was compromised, and much later you watched Azai Kaede construct my body."

Walter's small smile faded. Keeping his hands behind his back, he advanced to Chlorate. "I'm sorry to hear that, truly. I'm getting the hunch that you two had something going on; what that is I won't ask. However, you must know I am not him. I am not your Walter." The red moonlight kept its gaze on the tall Minkan, his shadow covering the android. "And this, this dimension is not my home, either. I am sorry, I hid this from everyone around me; you're not alone in the dark on this one."

Chlorate was silent for a few minutes, staring at him. Then she spoke up. "If you are not Walter... then who are you? How is this dimension... not your home?" She sounded disappointed, she had truly thought the Walter she knew had came back.

"I'm still Walter Hyde; Walter Joseph Hyde, though. I came from another dimension, and it was neither this one nor Ayenee, either. The only reason I'm here at all was because I willingly chose to make a new life for myself here, and now here I am in a dimension so painfully similar to my own."

Walter stepped back to look at the village around him; crickets were chriping. "I guess you can say that would be my fault. Everything from me agreeing on that stupid project that wound up putting me here, up to agreeing to join this crew without understanding the risk of it. "

"Oh..." said Chlorate, giving a sad beep. "So you are a different Walter Hyde? Which means... Walter never came back..." But then, she looked up at Walter. "I do not think it is your fault, how would you have known you would have ended up in this dimension?" the robot briefly paused. "May I ask what the dimension you came from is like?"

"Hm..." The Minkan looked about, then used his technopathy to give a request to the VR Room. "Since we're here, I might as well show you what my home is as opposed to telling you." The village morphed, twisted, and skyrocketed in length. The light from the sky becomes obscured by high-rising structures as far as the eye can see, the roads and alleys being rather polished. Yet, it didn't immediately stick out as a city for some reason, let alone... "This is Kyoto, my Kyoto of my Yamatai. They don't build cities like everyone here does; their philosophy to architecture was heavily inspired by how they build their ships."

Chlorate marveled at the high rising structures. She was filled with curiosity. "Are those buildings?" She pointed to one of the tall structure. She began to clank around, inspecting the roads.

Walter nodded, walking along the shiny roads made of solid metal. "Yes, yes they are. All made of hard stuff made so this city can withstand aether energy bombardment. Although, no one has been able to get into home territory, so you can say it's just needless protection." There are Nekos and Minkans and Nekos and Minkans.... Wait, there's only those kinds of people here in the city.

"Is there a threat in this universe? Aren't there any species in this city besides Nekos and Minkans?" Chlorate felt a little out of place- even if she wasn't actually here in the real city right now she would be the only one that wasn't a Neko or a Minkan, or even organic.

"That's just it, there are none. There's either the nations that assimilated into Yamatai, or there are nations that wanted independance. In either instance, neither have survived. Sepera, Elysians, and other species who want to be a part of this nation in any way were forced to be converted over to be a Minkan or a Nekovalkyria for the sake of species purity. Everyone else who disagreed was basically ripped apart by blitzkrieg." Those words were so sour that Walter wished he'd pucker, rather than showing little in the way of expression. Those words were words he had always been prepared to say since... Well, since he got wise to their ways.

The faceless copies of Nekos and Minkans go through Chlorate just going about in this ship-esque city.

"That seems to sound... unfavorable..." she commented. When a Neko walked towards her, she beeped in surprise, as if expecting it to notice her. She was about to step out of its way but she noticed it just phased through her. "There aren't even any robots?" she asked.

"We never needed them; Nekos and Minkans can be genetically manipulated to behave like a robot to begin with, and are already far superior in every category. Strength, intelligence, finesse, efficiency, power armors, infinite replacibility, why would we bother incorporating artificial helping hands? If anything, we'd force whatever Freespacers we find into a Neko or Minkan body, much like any other non-Yamataian race," Walter coldly explained. "The fact we're property of the Army never changed, neither here or there. But there, it's always clear that Eve owned you the moment you become one with the Army. That was the only way to live."

Walter Hyde clenched his fist. "Here... Here, it feels like home. It feels so much like home that I almost can't stand it."

"It does not sound like a very..." Chlorate tried to process the word. Not bad... not good... not terrible... "I cannot seem to think of the proper term..." she said. "But it does not seem like a welcoming home for anyone that is not a neko or a Minkan..."

"There is a word for that, a prejudice that strong would be called 'racist.' They put themselves above all the others because they, the Yamataians, believe to be superior to all things."

"As much as I disagree, I can't ignore how successful our campaigns have been over the decades."

"I have wondered about that, sometimes..." Chlorate said quietly. "Are they?" she asked, looking up at Walter.

"... I can't confirm or deny that, not for this world or my original one."

"I've thought about it, before, or at least something similar." Chlorate made a sigh and remarked "Sometimes I wonder if I am as good as Nekos and Minkans, or even anything that is organic..."

Walter rubbed the back of his neck, and answered, "Maybe, maybe not. But I know that people here admire your abilities behind the ship's cannons. You have superb aim."

"That is... certainly reassuring..." Chlorate said, smiling. "Thank you... I had not been a weapons operator before."

The Minkan smiled back. "So I have heard. I'd be willing to call that a natural talent you possess, Chlorate."

The simulation shifted from the dystopian Yamatai, turning the floor into a whole galaxy, and the walls and ceilings becoming the void of space, alight only by other galaxies.

The gynoid glanced at the floor to inspect the galaxy that had appeared. "That seems unusual... wouldn't a natural talent only apply to, well, natural beings?" Her metal feet were perched on the starry spirals below.

"A robot arm can be a natural at carving a specific pattern in a sheet of metal, like a grasshopper can be a natural leaper," Walter answered poetically. "Natural talent did imply that, but that was before robots were on equal sentience of other humanoids in the Kikyo sector. If we went off of your thinking, then you can argue that Nekos don't have a natural talent, either. Everything they can do so well has always been pre-programmed in their brains."

"It sounds like natural is a metaphorical term in this sentence, then?" Chlorate asked Walter. Chlorate gets a affirming nod from the Minkan.

"I see. It did not seem that difficult to me when I was operating the weapons. It required a small number of shots to estimate the projectile velocity and range, but I merely had to calculate the trajectories of the enemy targets and determine the optimal location to aim for and angle to fire at for maximum damage output. I suppose my effeciency could technically be improved, though."

"Indeed it could, but that doesn't change the fact you are off to a great start." Walter chuckled softly. "So... I heard you have a father, yes? Mark, wasn't it?"

"Affirmative. Mark Oaklen," she beeped.

"I wanted to make sure," he explained, "because you are lucky to have him. Not everyone can have good parental figures, and robots are lucky to have them at all. That, among other things, makes you one of a kind."

"It's just an observation, that's all."

"I agree... father has helped me understand some concepts I would have otherwise had difficulty understanding..." Chlorate concurred.

The technician nodded. He folds his arms behind his back, eyes as orange as the stars that swirl around his shoes. "That was all I could want to discuss with you. But did you want to say something?"

Chlorate's glowing eyes drifted to look at Walter's feet. "Well... one more thing... What was that motion you were performing when I entered?"

"... That was waltz. I was practicing it while simulating someone of a short height of around four to five feet," Walter answered. "Waltz is a form of ballroom dance; I happen to know all the types of ballroom dance, plus a handful of swing dances. Lindy Hop, for personal reasons, is my favorite out of all the swing dances."

"Did you invent waltz? What is a ballroom? What is a... dance?" she curiously asked.

"A dance is a... Let's call it a cultural art that is an expression of a person. Waltz, I dance I actually haven't invented, is a classical partner dance between two people." The VR Room, under the influence of Walter's telepathy, shifts from a galaxy into a ballroom. Beautiful Yamataian architecture made up the walls and ceiling, massive chandeliers shone brightly, and faceless dance partners dance around them.

"What is the purpose of a dance? What does it express?" Chlorate asked as her robotic eyes gazed upon the dazzling ballroom that had simulated dancers weaving through it.

"Celebration and seduction are its purposes, usually. Although what it expresses... It's you, and your dance partner. You and your partner acting as if you shared the same brain, like sum of the two of you is far greater than if you were apart."

"It connects your brains? People are numbers?" she asked, surprised. This made Walter sigh, and face palm, in response to that.

"Yare yare daze, not like that! It's unfortunately less literal. I can understand why you'd think that, given how we can perform telepathy here in Yamatai. But no, dancing isn't either of that. Think of it like a excercise of faith in your partner."

"Is it... necessary?" she asked. She examined her toeless metal feet.

"It isn't a necessary life skill, no. Unless you wish to impress somebody, or partake in certain social events."

Chlorate looked up to a chandelier almost directly above her, giving off a black blush on her cheeks. "I do wish to impress somebody..." she said.

"Is that so? I have someone in mind as well," Walter admitted. "Care to share?"

"Affirmative..." the mechanical girl said, pausing briefly. Her head tilted back down to be level and her glowing yellow irises glanced at Walter. "I want to impress Chusa Hoshi..."

"Her, huh?" Walter didn't like her as much as the android did, not even close, but he isn't one to impress opinions onto another. Even if, personally, Walter felt Hoshi should swap positions with Eden. "I'm aiming to win the heart of Arete Surinus-hei... Metaphorically speaking."

"Yes..." Chlorate said, daydreaming about Hoshi. "Is Arete Surinus-hei that new Elysian?" the android asked.

Walter nodded. "She was from Ayenee, like I was. We spent a bit of time together so far, but I haven't actually admitted my feelings to her..."

"Oh... I admitted my feelings to Chusa Taiyou Hoshi earlier today..." Chlorate said.

That made Walter do a double take, even if he didn't show it. "How'd she take it?"

"Quite well, I believe, we are going out tomorrow night," Chlorate replied excitedly, entering a daydream.

"You are? Well... I'll admit I've been fairly slow with my crush. I've been setting up a small session with her, so she could get to know the internals of the Kaiyo II. I want prove my love to her, but I don't want to scare her," Walter admitted.

"That sounds like a very different pace from mine..." Chlorate noted. "I hope I did not scare Chusa Hoshi..."

The Minkan set aside any bias against Hoshi in favor of thinking about her objectively. "Something tells me that she isn't the kind of person to be scared off like that, don't worry about it."

He sighed, letting the simulation fade into the normal VR Room. "Well, thank you for the pleasant talk, Chlorate. I need to do some work now; I have a job to do, after all."

"I see... Goodbye, then, Ittô Hei Walter Hyde," the android said, waving with her artificial hand. The Minkan waved back, and with that, he left the room.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back