• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Yamatai News (YINN) Premier Ketsurui Yuumi announces re-election campaign

YE 39, 25 Kugatsu, 16:00
Front steps, Imperial Palace

Yuumi stood at the crimson podium and surveyed the crowd of cameras and journalists, staffers and officials, foreigners and citizens. She could see the shadow of the palace cast over the courtyard before it, and imagined the brilliant colors in the sky. She was glad for the artificial lights contrasting the podium and nearby space with the darkened palace.

Wearing her best navy blue suit and crisp white blouse, her red eyes carried a stillness that came from a lot of hours running a government and Empire the Star Army often couldn't afford to help.

In peacetime -- something Yuumi wasn't sure Yamatai even could imagine, let alone know -- it'd be expected that the Star Army could assist with the internal affairs of the Empire. However, her elder sister's eyes always searched outward, hunting threats real and possible. She was the sword of the Empire, always.

Yuumi had sometimes thought of herself as its shield, when she wasn't a POW or a minor family member. But it wasn't true. She varied between being its trumpet, its accountant, its top law enforcement officer, diplomat, tradeswoman ...

But she was no warrior like Yui.

And that was missing from her administration.

At first, it was on purpose. She didn't want to be something she wasn't.

But after so many years as the civilian manager of state, Yuumi knew that not being something didn't excuse the lack of it.

As determined and cutthtroat as she could be, the edge of a seasoned soldier could bring a lot to the government.

She looked to her right, at a Neko who had been lost. Someone who had some experience like her own ... and plenty unlike anything she could know.

Someone who could help take the reins of the Empire and help guide its citizenry to strength, safety and equality.

She turned back to the microphone to speak.

"A good New Year's Eve to all here today, and indeed to all the Empire. It is a beautiful evening here in Kyoto, and I pray it is the same wherever you find yourself across the expanse.

"For eight years, I have had the honor and privilege to serve as your Premier. It was a position borne of our Empress' wisdom to have a civilian run the day-to-day affairs of the citizenry, to see to their needs and ensure their lives flourish. In a grander sense, it has been an effort to sew the seeds and harvest the fruits of unity across our great Empire in ways never before undertaken in modern times.

"After the departure of our Nepleslian brethren, it has been the focus of the office of the Premier to see to it that no matter our differences, the Yamatai Star Empire has but one homefront! One that no strife, battle or war can possibly break."

She paused, casting her glance toward another part of the crowd.

"As I reflect on these past eight years, I see mistakes that could have been avoided. I see missed opportunities. No matter from where or how they came about, they rest on my shoulders. I would have it no other way!

"But we also have done so many great things. Things no other nation across the galaxy could do! We have done this with the rebuilding of destroyed cities and raising of new ones. The feeding of our people and the pursuit of new markets. The colonization of entire worlds! While refining our shared spiritual home here, in Yamatai.

" ... I was asked recently, 'Would you run again for premier?' I was not sure. I saw the bad. I saw a chance to make things better!

"And I realized I could not do it alone."

She looked again to her right, to the brown-haired Nekovalkyrja with eyes as red as hers, but with a softer face that belied her steely will.

"So tonight, I make two announcements. The first is that I, Ketsurui Yuumi, will run again for the premiership of the great Yamatai Star Empire."

She held up a hand and peered at the crowd, and it was silent.

"The other, I believe, is more important. I have decided to create, through my power as the civilian manager of state, a new Cabinet position. One that will bear fruit from Day 1, if I am retained.

"I hereby create the position of vice premier, a Cabinet seat subordinate to no one but the premier. The vice premier can do what deputies and assistants cannot -- speak directly not only for my office, but for the citizens of Yamatai. It is a force multiplier for citizen empowerment, transparency and efficiency!"

She paused once more, then smiled.

"Allow me the great honor of ceding the podium to who I believe will be the first, and best, vice premier in Imperial history. This Nekovalkyrja has come across space and time to this moment, and only she can truly give her introduction justice."

Yuumi swept back from the podium, and nodded with a smile as the Nekovalkyrja took it.

The brown haired nekovalkryja's gaze swept across the crowd, the flashing lights and the growing shadows of the courtyard. Her slender frame was clothed in a crimson and gold furisode graced with white peonies at the bottom edges. She waited for a heartbeat before she spoke, "It is tasogare, the moment when our ancestors believed dimensions touched and spirits could touch the living. I stand before you having crossed the shadows of time. The years I have missed leave a deep emptiness within my heart but I stand before you, whole once more. I am Ketsurui Chiharu."

A collective gasp confronted Chiharu. Even the youngest among the crowd knew the name, the temple, the blessings.

"I have watched as our Empire grew from the ashes of endless wars. I have seen our history's greatest enemies become our allies. I have seen fragments of our nation rise up and claim sovereignty. I have bore witness to our Empire's heart breaking. We ache for our lost loved ones and we live on, and fight on for their memory," Chiharu's voice was soft as she continued, smiling.

"I stand before you a lost memory. A prayer, a whisper on your lips. I have been with you and among you, learning your hearts and seeing your struggles. It is my honor to finally stand before you once more. It is my honor to be granted the opportunity to become more than what I was- a fallen Taisho, a war hero, a fond rememberance. Together with Yuumi, I will continue to fight for you, the citizens and true heart of the Yamatai Star Empire as your Vice Premier," she stepped away from the podium and bowed deeply to the crowd. When she rose, her crimson eyes scanned the people before here.

"Thank you for giving me the strength to return to serve you once more." Chiharu stepped away from the podium again looked to Yuumi with a soft smile. "Yuumi-san."

Yuumi returned to the podium and bowed in Chiharu's direction. "Thank you, Chiharu-san, for your bravery and spirit." She rose, then stretched out her hand for Chiharu's bringing her back to the podium.

When the premier faced the cameras again, she did so with her hand in Chiharu's raising them both high. "Together, Yamatai, we will continue to make this Empire, YOUR Empire!

"Thank you, one and all, for this opportunity. May the light of the Empress shine on us all!"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back