• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Prices of Common Items

Lin

Please forgive me if I'm overlooking something terrifyingly obvious, but I've been going half-mad looking for prices on things like food, non-underwear clothing, books, and lodging. I'm told that the KS is roughly equal to something between the USD and the pound, but this is only marginally helpful. What would be the price on, say, a nice kimono? A popular novel? An apartment in Kyoto for a month?

And, sort of on the topic, how is the KS subdivided?

Unless otherwise stated, for most items, 1 KS cost is roughly equivalent to 1 USD.

Here's a Ladies' Clothing thread, too.

What would be the price on, say, a nice kimono?
About 100 KS for something pre-made, or 500 KS for a custom one. Most kimono are made on Yamatai and are extremely common there.
A popular novel?
Yamatai believes that copyright laws put the good of the one above the good of the many, and thus does not have any. This means that most books are available through any publisher. Book publishers are either often small, local shops (several in each town, common near public transit stations) that can print the desired book on demand, or huge factories that mass-produce books and ship them via starship to book stores. Sometimes book stores will have a bookmaking shop inside or next to them. Books are cheap, about 5 KS for on-demand paperback or 1 KS for prestocked. Hardcovers are usually double.
An apartment in Kyoto for a month?
Usually from 150 to 750 KS depending on size. If you are working full-time in Kyoto, however, your apartment is cost-free (yay big government!).
And, sort of on the topic, how is the KS subdivided?
Since KS is an electronic currency, KS is divided by decimals, usually to the second or third digit.

@Wes - Is there an updated guide/reference for all this? With things like ships, I've found there's a general average to kinda aim for across the board. However, with weapons, I've been a bit harder-pressed to find similar price ranges and often end up having to just sorta price-match others? It'd be cool, as someone who runs into general item price issues, to see some sort of officiated wiki or something to help with determining the price of new content.

Cool. Once this gets finished, we should definitely put it on the respective template pages that have price sections in them. It could definitely help give people a decent starting guide for how/what they end up pricing.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back