• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Proposed Setting Revisions for 2011

FAQ:

Q: What about charge times?
A: They are not affected by the revisions. Currently there are no guidelines, but the recommended time is one to three combat rounds worth of time (various by GM, usually 5-15 or 15-45 seconds) for dramatic effect.

Q: How can fighters dodge big ships?
A: Fighters can evade with FTL jumps or STL maneuvers, just like always.

Q: What about teleportation?
A: It is not affected by the update.

Q: Does this restrict torpedo speed?
A: Torpedoes can still use FTL as a vehicle to get to the target area, but they have to attack at STL in order to hit anything. FTL speeds on torpedoes have been nerfed to 4 to 12 times light speed by a previous unrelated discussion.

Q: Can graviton beams be used to keep a ship from jumping to FTL?
A: Yes. They work in the (non-stacking) way described earlier in the thread.

Uso said:
Expecting everyone to have the exact same expectations as you is not a solution to this problem.

You need to be considering what these rules will encourage players to do and how the site as a whole will react to them. Only thinking about yourself is what leads to bad rules, problems, and the inevitable disasters that come from that.

So how about we stop complaining about having to follow the rules and focus on making rules that work well.

You're calling the kettle black with this statement when you try to impose your own personal views and beliefs in threads like these and site proper. So I can't help but shake my head at you for even stating this.

@Wes:

Wes said:
FAQ:

Q: What about charge times?
A: They are not affected by the revisions. Currently there are no guidelines, but the recommended time is one to three combat rounds worth of time (various by GM, usually 5-15 or 15-45 seconds) for dramatic effect.

Q: How can fighters dodge big ships?
A: Fighters can evade with FTL jumps or STL maneuvers, just like always.

Q: What about teleportation?
A: It is not affected by the update.

Q: Does this restrict torpedo speed?
A: Torpedoes can still use FTL as a vehicle to get to the target area, but they have to attack at STL in order to hit anything. FTL speeds on torpedoes have been nerfed to 4 to 12 times light speed by a previous unrelated discussion.

Q: Can graviton beams be used to keep a ship from jumping to FTL?
A: Yes. They work in the (non-stacking) way described earlier in the thread.

1:Will fighters be subject to charge times as well?

2:With torpedoes it is somewhat complicated... where would they drop out of FTL at, range wise?

3:The graviton beam seems adequate. But this also means that more then one beam on a target means that if you take out one emitter the ship is still stuck correct?

You need to include that in the rules. Most players forget entirely about these threads after the item in them is approved.

If you can use FTL each combat round you are going to effectively be able to dodge anything and considering how some players already try to ignore rules listed on the wiki, graviton beams will need to be covered by in this update rather than by an FAQ.

There is also the question of if teleportation and MASC is stopped by graviton beams?

1:Will fighters be subject to charge times as well?
Again, there are no guidelines for this. In the past starship fold systems have similar charge times to ships, but I can't remember a starfighter ever having to wait to go into FTL via continuum distortion (mostly because Yamataian fighters use CDD for STL too, I guess).

2:With torpedoes it is somewhat complicated... where would they drop out of FTL at, range wise?
Somewhere within 900,000 km, probably. Anything coming out of warp is going to be obvious enough too detect and shoot at. The most effective torpedoes will be ones launched from close-in starfighters.

3:The graviton beam seems adequate. But this also means that more then one beam on a target means that if you take out one emitter the ship is still stuck correct?
Correct.

There is also the question of if teleportation and MASC is stopped by graviton beams?
I'm thinking yes for MASC but no for the teleportation, since it's used to get into artificial gravity zones and planetside destinations already.

Wes said:
With no interdiction ships can just infinitely FTL away from incoming attacks making combat in space completely ineffective.
That doesn't account for change times. Space combat is going to be near some planetary (FTL-hindering) body the vast majority of the time anyway.

if you're going to remove interdiction you need to put in something else to prevent FTL use.
No we don't. Also, there's still the graviton beam hold method.

Or to put it another way, How does this promote RP at all?
It keeps plot ships and other ships from being rendered immobile and unable to escape in open space, forcing the space battles of the SARP to mostly occur around known landmarks such as planets.

Oh, right, this is much better. Yay for explanations, I retract my dissent.

Uso said:
If you can use FTL each combat round you are going to effectively be able to dodge anything and considering how some players already try to ignore rules listed on the wiki, graviton beams will need to be covered by in this update rather than by an FAQ.
Except they shouldn't be using FTL every combat round.

Hey Wes and the other Tech Setting Managers,

I hope you will read this soon, if not hopefully someone will nudge you to read this.

In the Engineering Guide. I am going ahead and add someplaces here and their for Tech Setting Managers to put their input, so to speak.
Right now though I have only one:
In star army, FTL-devices were once used in combat to improve ship maneuverability and weapons. However, insert summary of GM's reason for the decline of CDD as in combat and “Faster Than Light” Lasers.

If at some point this month or next you guys can put on your books to fill in missing parts like these I would appreciate it.

P.S. I mainly doing because I work on the Engineering Guide I would like to keep up to date with the latest stuff going on in SARP. If you all could help with that I would appreciate it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back