• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Psionics

By the way, no-one actualy said with how much finnese telikenesis was being used currently. For example, can anyone manipulate atoms, and how many independant objects has anyone been able to move at one time?

Also what can be accomplished witht the current uses of pyrokinesis?

Can a telepath simply mindwipe a non-psionic oponent?

My earlier unanswered questions still stand, and are waiting for someone to answer them, but I have some new ones:

I am in the last stages of developing my character, whose a geneticly engineered Geshrin with telepathic powers. I have some quesions.

Firstly how powerfull a telepath do you think he should be? The telepathic trait is due to deliberate tampering with his genes on behalf of his father. Should he be able to control people, to alter memories (I don't think this is a good idea, it wouln't work on PC's and on NPC's it would take very carefull RPing)? Should he be able to influence others emotions?

Secondly do you think that if someone was a geneticly engineered telepath they would be given telekinetic powers too?

The old class system had an "Empath" class. That was about it. So far, there has been only one human telepath in the RP, and no humans capable of telekinesis to my knowledge. By telepathy, I mean the ability to detect thoughts from others and project thoughts.

Mage nekos can call upon "magic" in nodal systems. That's the closest we have to telekinesis so far, I believe.

We've been trying to tone down the power level of the PCs and shift empathasis to good roleplaying and thinking on one's feet.

Wes said he's busy with Army (the actual US Army) stuff this weekend. Wait for him to get back to you tomorrow.

That sounds like a good background for your character, but he definitely shouldn't be a really powerful telepath. PCing wouldn't be great. I don't think any of the qualities you mentioned would be good, because that'd be making your character a bit too powerful. Wolf was genetically modified by PNUgen so that he could hear other people's thoughts, so maybe you could do something like that? That's already established genetic alteration stuff, I don't know if it's still in use, but I guess it's a possibility. Of course, it's your character, and as long as he's not so powerful as to piss everyone off, it'll be cool.

In my character Apesael I've tried to limit his telepathic ability, while giving him more than the ordinary telepath. I like the fact he can communicate with non-telepaths, and can if he wants read other thoughts (as shown in my RP, this takes the form of a whispering when he meditates). However he doesn't have the inclination to read minds, but may do later, for the sake of mission pour example.

I'm still intrested by the idea of high finnesse telikinesis (manipulation of matter at a fundamental level, moving electrons and transmorphication), although I think it would be ridiculous as a PC, but an NPC, or a race with the ability could be interesting.

How does Pyrokinesis work in Star Army? Is it the ability to create heat through the excitment of atoms, and how powrfull is it? What sort of thing can a Pyrokinetic do?

I think Clairvoyance might have a place too, perhaps reachable only through deep concentration or meditation, the ability to see things far away, to hear things and smell things without being their. It would make some very intresting storytelling, but it would hard to RP. Again an NPC with that ability migh be intresting, perhaps one that was blind.

Are there any forms of psionics Iv'e missed out? Not including Precognition which is a bugger to roleplay, imposible for a PC, and can easily disintergrate a nice plotline. It could occur but would have to be dealt with very delictatly. I just want to make sure that the psionic spectrum is used to it's full ability.

I know I've missed out reality shifting and teleporation but I don't think this would work in Star Army.

(manipulation of matter at a fundamental level, moving electrons and transmorphication)
That will never be allowed in the SARP.

How does Pyrokinesis work in Star Army? Is it the ability to create heat through the excitment of atoms, and how powrfull is it? What sort of thing can a Pyrokinetic do?
It's basically, setting things on fire with one's mind. I don't have any moe complicated explanation than that. I don't like it. Notice that the new CCG does not have any mention of it at all.

Points taken. I'm unlikely to try to expand the Psionic spectrum anymore, I have a telepathic character and that is quite enough for me. The other factors are ones that I am only slightly intrested in and I don't mind whether they find their way into Star Army or not. Although a Clairvoyant and blind Neko or Geshrin might have been an intresting NPC I'm not going to go out of my way to make one (unless someone says they like the idea). Oh and by Clairevoyant in this case I mean being able to see quite short distances, but through walls, and all around you, not using your eyes but your mind.

Something I'll note here is that Nagashun is not something of magic. As a probe, Nagashun is a technological device who might be beyond Yamatai's understanding, but not fundamentally different from the science in the setting (including telepathy). In addition, the various 'miracles' that Nagashun is thought to provide should almost always have a 'mundane' explanation. All of the miracles of the days of awe do have some kind of mundane explanation.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back