• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [Psychopomp] Passion through Death

I

Immortal Cyan

Bridge

Esmeralda Sinclair had been ordered to accompany Lazarus on his mission to 188604: A backwater world that was the site of a fledgling nation. For the most part, the mission was a common trafficking operation. However, her mission was to keep Lazarus in line. She could not have him slaughtering any captives or members of the local populace at random. Lazarus was a brutally efficient killer, but if he began to leave a trail of bodies, then the trafficking operation could be compromised in an instant.

She was also accompanying Lazarus so that in the event that he encountered obstacles that could not be dealt with through brute force alone, she would remove them, through any number of favors or diplomacy.

In order to accomplish her objectives, she needed to talk to Lazarus. She had to find out his vulnerabilities, his strengths, and his fears. In order to control a person, one had to know their target first.

"Lazarus, do you have any suspicions as to why I've been ordered to accompany you?", she asked in a sweet, yet firm tone.

"Because I am a weapon built without a safety, and Psychopomp judging it to be prudent, decided to include you as a safety? If I had to give a guess." Lazarus said he played with one of the tips of his slightly spiked hair in the front as he sat there bored with nothing to kill.

"You are more self-aware than my handlers let on.", Esmeralda replied. "Do you enjoy your work?"

"Depends on which aspect of my "work" you are referring to." Lazarus said with a shrug, as he stopped playing with his hair, but still not turning to face her.

"I was not aware that your work involved more than just death and war.", she replied. "Pray tell, what else does your work entail?"

"Well that covers most of it, but there is still hide and seek, as well as intimidation. Though those aren't as much fun, and not as bloody." Lazarus said taking on a more casual tone, and now turning his head to face her.

"Ohh, so...essentially what we are about to do right now?", she started. "To be quite honest, it makes my job more...difficult. See, my mission is to control your urges. If you have no passions apart from killing then that means I have to get more...hmm...intimate with you, in an effort to distract you.", she finished in a lilting tone.

"If you are trying to seduce me, you'll have to try harder, as I don't measure people with the same criteria as a "normal" individual. I measure in lethality, so the deadlier you are the more positively I view you. I was made to kill, and thus my view is heavily oriented around death." Lazarus said with a slight smile now.

"Death...hmm...", Esmeralda pondered. Her mission had just became more complex and possibly more difficult. Esmeralda could fight and shoot, however, she was not as well trained or athletic as many of the elite operatives within Psychopomp. If the path to Lazarus's heart was through war, then she would have to engage with him in his martial pursuits.

Only then, would she be able to effectively contain his blood lust.

"Life is nothing but a disease, and death is the cure. The darkest voids of space in between galaxies is our requiem. I curse even my own life. The flesh is ugly, but it makes a suitable canvas. A lifeless body is more beautiful than any sculpture, and a blood splatter more soul searching and thoughtful than any painting. These are my preferred trade." Lazarus continued as he his face took on a more unsettling appearance. His eyes wide with madness, and his smile sickly wide.

For a moment, Esmeralda felt the tension of fear settle within her chest as Lazarus spoke. Her eyes fluttered as he smiled and ranted. She doubted her ability to get through to his heart, if he even had one. Lazarus was truly a weapon of war. Perfectly honed, fit, and reliable. Those characteristics made him a valuable asset to Psychopomp, but also a dangerous one.

Esmeralda sat in her chair, completely frozen, until she shook herself out of her fear-induced paralysis.

"I'm...going...to get a drink...", she said nervously, before turning and exiting the bridge with a hurried stride.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back