• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Question About a Character Idea

Noodlewerfer

Hello, I had an idea for a character, but I'm unsure of how it can work. Basically, they were experimented on by some group (I haven't decided which yet) against their will, and the group added implants for telepathy and mind-reading. The mind-reading system is flawed and doesn't stop reading thoughts, which essentially drives them insane because they hear the thoughts of everyone nearby all the time. However, I noticed that on https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:telepathy_and_magic the wiki states
What is not allowed: Passive mind reading (hearing what others are thinking). People's minds are not constantly transmitting thoughts.
This is confusing me, both because it seems to be referring to systems designed solely for telepathy (Not systems designed to mind-read), and because I've been told before that mind reading is possible in the setting. I've also seen it mentioned on the SARP Discord that mind reading is possible if the target knows their mind is being read and there were no objections. With that being said, could it be clarified what the rules regarding mind reading are? How could I make a character idea like this work?

Our RP rules don't allow characters who can read other people's minds.

People can share their thoughts through various methods (Nekovalkyrja's natural wireless networking for example) but unless they're transmitting on purpose the rules say there's nothing to hear (unless you're at point blank range like a piloting helmet that senses what you want the starfighter to do).

Maybe you could adjust the concept to say they hear things most people wouldn't, like the static buzz of two Nekovalkyrja talking in encryption, the blare of radio transmissions, or the creepy sounds of solar radiation?

The telepathy rules page mentions telepathy can be used to
attempt to force another character's mind to reveal information (mind reading). Note: victim will notice this.
Would doing this be allowed, as long as it's not passive mind reading?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back