• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Questions on Articles

Edto Xar'Sivaree

Lizard Freak!
Inactive Member
So, probably kinda a stupid question, but it has gotten me thinking.

In the NTSE, you have to provide a link to the Article you want approved. This is common knowledge on the boards.

However, I, in the past have had issues of having articles of mine pulled from approval or claimed to be unapproved, because the URL in the Approval Article did not match the Articles actual URL. You got a "This page does not exist" and went on from there.

So my question is actually rather simple.

Would altering the article from the WIP namespace to an official namespace, causing the Approval Threads URL to become non-applicable affect the validity of the article URL.

If so, it seems a tad tiring to have to submit the article, then after changing the namespace of it, something that was given to the entire forum to be capable of doing now, you will have to also edit the Submission Threads URL to represent that change.

Now, I have something of a solution. The term WIP stands for "Work in Progress" which implies the article is not finished. It's being worked on. It's not complete. It is even in the NTSE rules that only completed articles can be submitted. I recall when Areig posted a whole bunch of incomplete WIP's wanting feedback on them being instantly rejected for exactly that reason. The NTSE is not a place for incomplete or WIP articles.

Is there a difference between "Not Complete" and "Not Approved"?

With the new regulations for reviewing policy, the rules have been modified to my understanding, that so long as an article is not unnecessary, then it will most likely be approved. So could it be made than when you are ready to get an article approved, you modify the namespace from WIP to where it would be, so that when/if you get it approved, there is no more work that needs to be completed other than posting in the OOC section?

On the note of OOC section being updated, now that StarArmy seems to be heading in the strong direction of "We want to approve your articles", could articles have the link to the "Approval Thread" in the OOC upon posting.

Better yet, merely posting "NTSE Submission Thread" at the bottom of the page. People can simply click on the link to see if there was an approval or rejection. If the article was rejected under prejudice, then the article should realistically be removed from the Wiki as, if I am interpreting this correctly, the consept at it's core was considered incompatible with the setting or, at the very least, is not allowed to be resubmitted period. Meaning in all likelihood, nothing in the article is salvageable

This is under the assumption that this article will be, when completed, put into effect. I would like to tell @Wes that I fully and completely agree with this article and could not be happier to see it. Excellent work through and through to you and whoever else may have provided input.

You shouldn't submit articles still in WIP. Get them to the point where you believe they are finished, move them to a permaspace, then submit with that url.

The submission should still have the "in progress, not yet canon" tag at the top. The submission isn't approved, but it is complete in the eye of the submitter.

It is possible, even likely, that an NTSE mod will ask for changes or edits. Those edits can be made with the article in its proper, non-WIP namespace.

You shouldn't submit articles still in WIP. Get them to the point where you believe they are finished, move them to a permaspace, then submit with that url.

The submission should still have the "in progress, not yet canon" tag at the top. The submission isn't approved, but it is complete in the eye of the submitter.

It is possible, even likely, that an NTSE mod will ask for changes or edits. Those edits can be made with the article in its proper, non-WIP namespace.

Alright I wanted to be sure, but it's confusing. People go around requesting articles be placed in the WIP namespace, and I typically don't pay it mind because what you just said is what I thought was the actual rule, but the thread Zekec posted up in regards to the VDTF Faction page so it could be officially approved so me hi and Ira could work on the Suzerian intergration to the Union was posted back to WIP by @Wes himself. So I didn't understand this move.

I haven't seen the thread, but there is such a thing as a submission being prematurely submitted. It's a grey area, but there might be too much incomplete or wrong in a submission to warrant a review.

I haven't seen the thread, but there is such a thing as a submission being prematurely submitted. It's a grey area, but there might be too much incomplete or wrong in a submission to warrant a review.

Would that not require a post explaining why?

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:faction:vekimen_defensive_task_force

That is the page. I am almost certain that is not premature.

EDIT

I made a mistake. So many of my articles have been getting altered lately it's hard to keep track of it all. Wes edited the Winged Hussars Article. I better understand why now, there were some comments on it and I had not realized because I wasn't initially part of the thread.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=faction:gartagens:winged_hussars

Last edited:
Are you sure? I've always seen @Wes himself say that submitted things should always be in the wip: wiki namespace; the "please make sure all unapproved articles are in wip:namespace" statements first came from Wes before the rule caught on with everyone.

That's not to say articles should actually be works in progress when they're submitted. As you suggested, things should be complete as possible by the time they're put up. Just wanna double check here to avoid the confusion that results from a Staff member saying that stuff doesn't need to be submitted in the wip: wiki namespace.

Articles not approved should always be in the wip: namespace, Doshii. I can find the rule and will, but still. It's a rule.

Someone should be editing the OP in the submission threads to reflect the change that they underwent when leaving WIP.

What's more, we change wiki namespaces all the time and it's unavoidable for them to sometimes be the wrong URL in the OP.

Keep wiki articles in WIP until they are approved.

Doshii is referencing an older policy which was designed back before we could easily move pages. That policy was designed to prevent stealthy edits made during manual moves. Now that we can move pages easily it is no longer necessary.

After approval, a staff member will move your page to the correct place and also edit your submission thread to point to the new location. If a link is broken, simply convo me to get it edited.

Also, now that moving is easy, staff will no longer delete unapproved articles spotted outside wip (as happened with Osakanone's stuff), we will simply move them to WIP.

All new and newly updated articles should link to their approval thread in the OOC section. The OOC section should have the approval status/notes.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back