• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [R&R] Holiday For Strings

Moogle

Retired Member
AFTER MISSION 3 BUT BEFORE MISSION 4
Holiday for strings - living strings

Crimson Kestrel, Cargo Bay
In the realm of customer service, communication is key. So when Phase decided to track her client's address through basic IP protocols, username matching, and ad views, she communicated. . . absolutely nothing to her client until about a day before she arrived, leaving nothing but a simple message correspondence.

The freshly built Sargasso spaceport accomodated Phase's shuttle easily, allowing the spacer to disembark without a hassle. Accompanied by what looked like a long brick with legs, Phase's small form strode towards the ISC Phoenix, legs gently clacking against the pavement.

As instructed by the brief message that she had recieved, Tamamo found herself occupying the ramp leading up into the Crimson Kestrel looking blankly out across the tarmac. Their mind clearly occupied with less tangible matters as they contentedly stared into the space before them.

Noting a bit of interesting data Tamamo blinked and followed it to the approaching Freespacer perking up a little as they laid eyes on their expected guest. Making her way to her feet Tamamo stepped out onto the warm pavement to meet the approaching figure curious as to what they had in store for the unexpected encounter.

"Hiiiii~!" Phase greeted, bright carets illuminating her screenlike face. "I apologize for my sudden arrival, but would you happen to be the 'Uncanny Observer' who commissioned drone production from myself?"

The Spacer's form was clean and polished, perhaps even buffed for the occassion, and her brass-capped nails on her hands shone just as bright.

Tamamo nodded venturing a smile a thing she had practiced of late hopefully coming off as warmly as she intended, "I am the one. You must be Dollmaker Diharmonious Phase Four Six." She looked over the Freespacer appreciating their chasis and the myriad of ways they had chosen to represent themself. "I trust your journey was free of trial?"

"Absolutely! This has been the most positive travel experience I have had in Nepleslian airspace! Very, very good. I would recommend it for future travel."

"I am pleased to hear that. Though I doubt you have made such a trip merely to exchange pleasantries with a customer as nice as it may be..." She trailed off encouraging Phase to elaborate on the purpose of their visit.

"Ah yes! It is time for me to explain to you the nature of my visit! Indeed!"

The freespacer gestured to the dog-brick-robot. The spine of the thing split open, revealing that it was, in fact, a walking case of sorts, housing an assortment of tools but more importantly, several-extremely different variants of drone.

Tilting her head as the box opened Tamamo rocked on her feet before leaning forward to examine the drones not really needing to move closer while also providing a polite buffer between herself and the unpaid for work.

Eventually she spoke up, "You do very good work. You've also done an impressive job of providing variety. I'm surprised your services aren't in higher demand."

"Oh they would be but I am deleting all of the worthless applicants from my memory! I also have other business experiences on my metaphorical plate since I am learning from the Nepleslian military! Right this very instant, in fact!"

Phase's display turned to a smile punctuated by tilding eyes.

Associating Phase's response with the capabilities displayed by Echelon, Tamamo nodded and lapsed into silence as she considered the options that had been presented to her.

"Each one has variable capabilities and I wanted your full input on all the different things that they can do versus what you want, so feel free to just point at one and ask it to display~ yes!"

Curious Tamamo inquired, "What are the specifics of that one?" She guestured toward the one in the in the upper left corner, a thin, angular machine with a prominent keel like fin attached to the bottom of the drone.

"Ah yes, that one is a lovely thing! Made that one recently! The fin on the bottom is Nerumium, so it can cut into surfaces easily - and it can manuver it too so it can carve easily! I used it earlier to get a bag open! Very handy! Also, it is the fastest and most agile! You like agility, yes? I hope you like speed - do some tricks!"

The drone zipped about weaving nimbly between the legs of the dogbrickbot and around the chassis. Phase clapped her hands in glee at the sight, obviously pleased at her creation performing as on the tin.

"It also has a soldering laser. Very useful."

"I do like speed and agility. They're very much things that I appreciate in a platform." She nodded for Phase's benefit before inquiring. "Is the soldering laser its main armament or is that merely a tool?"

"Ah, that is just a tool! The blade is too, but is very useful for all sorts of things! Yes!"

A hatch could be heard opening further back in the hangar, past the Big Bird and the wrecked hoplite, followed by metal footsteps familiar to Tamamo. It was Echelon, all eight feet of her looking to do some errands and get some parts in town.

Wiggling her ears Tamamo looked over her shoulder, her dark jade eyes catching the sunlight as she looked back at the obserbving form of Echelon before waving enthusiastically to the Freespacer.

"0H41 BLU3B3RRY," Echelon waved back before spotting the Freespacer, looking at them up and down. "WHO'R3 Y0U?"

"Ah, A Demon armor? The base machine is some decent engineering, but I notice that you have had some very custom modifications! Very clever work, my congratulations to your engineer!" Phase said, hopping over to Echelon and observing her form closely. "I am Dollmaker Diharmous Phase Four Six!"

"T4 V3RY MUCH," Echelon thanked as she walked closer to Tamamo and Phase. "JUST C4LL M3 3CH3L0N. 1 F0RG0T MY D3S1GN4T10NS 4FT3R TH3 L1GHTH0US3."

"The Lighthouse? Ah, an old timer! And a survivor at that! How exciting! I would ask more, but I am currently showing my wares!" The smaller spacer drummed on her assistant machine with a row of brass-capped fingers.

"DR0N3S?" Echelon pointed at the things floating around.

"Yes, yes! This Yamataian contacted me a while ago for such things and I could not help but show potential products in person! Much easier for the client to understand what they are paying for!"

Phase picked up a can of empty Phoenix Energy!, she spotted nearby and gave it a few test tosses in her hand, before chucking it halfway across the bay. The drone darted after it, slicing it in midair.

"Good demonstration, yes?"

"Excellent demonstration." Already ideas and strategies to best employ the drones were unfolding in her head.

Echelon scratched their chin, aperture in her eye flicking and focussing. "N0T WH4T 1 D0, BUT D4MN, F1N3 W0RKM4NSH1P TH3R3, PH4S3." She looked down to Tamamo. "WH4TCH4 G0NN4 D0 W1TH TH3S3, BLU3B3RRY?"

Returning her full attention to Phase, Tamamo considered her words before inquiring simply, "What is its main armament? Also does it have the shielding system installed as requested?"

"Ah, well, this one does have one but not the other! Although I could refit the soldering laser to have higher output, but that would defeat the point!"

Phase picked up a washer this time and flicked it at the drone - but the thing wobbled around the device like a basketball that rejected the hoop.

"This one has magnetic shielding, yes!"

Directing her attention to Echelon, Tamamo answered her question brightly, "I wanted to have some friends who could cover me and help me stay safe out in the field or at home. I'm fond of the idea of having more options."

"M0R3 FR13NDS 1S G00D. 1'M N0T TH4T G00D 4T BU1LD1NG DR0N3S." She tapped her arm and tapped the folded up recoilless rifle on her back. "MY B4G 1S KNOCK1NG SKULLS, 4ND 4S Y0U S4W 34RL13R." She summoned a personal instance Data interaction into the hangar. The space around her became very busy, but in the middle of it was a shopping list. "H4CK1NG TH3 G1BS0N4T0R."

"You're also a wonderful teacher." Tamamo did her best impression of a winning smile, not quite right, but it was an attempt. Echelon reached down and patted her on the head, as gently as she could. Unlike most Freespacers, Echelon had the sense of touch in a non-organic body, and she could feel Tamamo's hair scruffling between her long fingers.

"Ah, so you are a datajacker! That explains the body!" Phase noted, one hand bumping the other in a Nepleslian-style display of 'aha.' She switched back to the subject at hand.
"I take it this drone is not to your liking?"

"I am actually rather fond of its capabilities though I am curious as to what else you have created. Is there any feature you're particularly proud of?" Tamamo for the time seemed fixed under Echelon's hand however she was more than happy to continue the conversation with Phase.

"Then let me show you, yes!"
She pointed at a second drone, which resembled a metallic eyeball mounted in eight equidistant triangular prisms.
"I need a sheet of metal for demonstration. Do you have one nearby?"

Echelon snapped her fingers "JUST 4 S3C. 1 G0T S0M3 SCR4P 1N TH3 B4CK. Y0U SH0W H3R S0M3TH1NG 3SL3 WH1L3 1 G3T 1T." Echelon pivoted and started walking back the way they came, dismissing their data view interface and putting their files back.

"Very well then, I will show you. . . that one!"

The next one she pointed to had two sets of three bound tubes on both sides of a simple, bricklike body. It hovered about for a moment, adjusting the tubes and aiming them down the length of the cargo bay. It launched shrill, screaming rockets that exploded in a pleasing display of colour.

"I mounted fireworks for this one! But, theoretically, any minimissile could work."

Folding her ears against her head at the shrill sound Tamamo winced slightly before appreciating the result of the firework if not its flight. In spite of the impressive display and the versatility that the design implied, Tamamo shook her head sadly to the negative as she spoke up, "While it is a useful system I was hoping to stick to directed energy weapons so as to save on ammunition costs and ease logistics. While the versitility is nice it adds more complexity than I desired."

"Alright, well, the one we are waiting on has a laser, but let me show you this one first!"

Phase pointed at the next one, a smoothed cylinder with four long rectangles mounted to its body. She reached into her thigh compartment and switched to a new hand for her right, one with teeth on the inside grip of the digits. Phase reached at the drone, attempting to grasp and grind it down, but the four rectangles unfolded out into long spindly arms and projected a field in front, about a square yard large, and blocked the attempted assault.

"It is a directional shield! Useful to protect from known threats, yes?"

Nodding Tamamo considered the drone carefully working out what she perceived to be the benifits and flaws of the system. Again she was uncertain as to whether it was exactly what she was looking for out of the drone system and decided that it would take further thought before she lapsed onto her inital terms. "I am impressed by the variants you have produced. The different tactical options each presents are making the choice complicated, each with its benifits and flaws." Essentially her reply was a long winded `I'm thinking on it.`

"Otherwise, there's this one, which can do this -"
Phase grabbed the last, unactivated drone. It had a V-shape to it, or perhaps a fly shape. She placed it on Tamamo's hip, hanging it by the tops of the V.

"Easy storage! Also it has a basic laser on it. With a moderate amount of work, it can look more stylish, too!"

Blinking at the drone affixed to her hip Tamamo experimentally moved causing it to sway slgihtly rather liking the aesthetic that it provided. Perhaps it would be something she requested for the final product. Looking up curiously, Tamamo turned her attention to the direction Echelon had run off wondering what was taking so long.

Tamamo would see a trolley coming back with a squeaky wheel, followed by cursing in a dialogue and script that was foreign to Tamamo, but Phase got the gist of it. She was complaining about how much lubrication ball bearings on these things needed because they went through more lubricant than a horny Lorath woman.

The trolley continued squeaking along with Echelon doing everything in her power to guide it in the right direction. "Y0U C4N CUT UP TH3 TR0LL3Y T00 WH1L3 Y0U'R3 4T 1T. 4RGH." She complained as she pushed a trolley through of scrap metal towards Phase. "G0 NUTS."

Phase's digital eyes flicked down to look at the trolley, and then back to Echelon.

"I can make a better one. But later, later!"

The younger Spacer took one of the sheets and gestured for the very first drone to take, which it did with little insectoid claws that were hidden in its chassis from before. The eyeball drone's prisms shifted, stacking onto one another like a bulky flower before the center glowed. With a satisfying PYOOOM! The thing pierced the scrap metal easily - and at the angle it was at, straight through the rest of the pile. And the trolley.

"It configures itself for varying strengths using the prism containers as amplifying mechanisms. It is my personal favorite design, but it lacks something."

"00H. 4 L4S3RGUN. N0T B4D." Echelon nodded in agreement, then made a small puff of white noise, a sigh as she wondered what was missing. "N33DS, P3RH4PS 4 D1FF3R3NT C0L0UR. H4V3 Y0U C0NS1D3R3D... CY4N? M1GHT M4K3 TH3 B34M C00L3R, BUT ST34LTH13R." She had a hunch as to Tamamo's colour scheme preferences aside from white and grey, considering how she coloured her data work environment.

Examining the aftermath Tamamo wiggled her ears before looking from each drone to the next reordering and evaluating her thougts. Nodding to herself slowly Tamamo spoke up, "I like the general design of the first with the nerimium keel. However I am very fond of the laser output of this one, Echelon is right as well. A cyan beam would be useful. Further more," She guestured to the drone still hanging from her hip, "I rather like this functionality, it would be nice to wear the friends like a dress. I think we would look beautiful together." She was about to fall silent when she remembered, "Oh and bubble shielding, bubble shielding is very appreciated."

"I am glad you prefer pragmatic design! I will continue working on bubble shielding, however! The power supply is a problem when it comes to these lovelies, and having an active shielding system would. . ."

Phase's phase blanked out for a second.

"MM. M0R3 1S M0R3, 4FT3R 4LL."

"Decimate their usefulness!" she finally declared after some deliberation on word choice.

Considering the explaination Tamamo inquired, "Would a software solution to redirect power be feasible? Also," She guestured to the one with the keel, "If that one were to stick into the ground it would free up the power from the anti-gravity systems would it not?" She was curious as to what Phase's opinion would be.

"B3TT3R P0W3R M4N4G3M3NT. 0N3 0R TH3 0TH3R, N0T B0TH?" Echelon chipped in.

"Well, ground-based makes them less mobile in combat! Unless. . . you used them like turrets! Yes, turrets! But, maybe if you had a generator that spread power wirelessly, then that would solve all the problems immediately! Or switch to a responsive shielding system, yes!"

"Given that they are supposed to help keep me safe, I think that using them as turrets with the added defences when holding a position would be fine, and the shielding could be disabled while on the move." She hummed to herself thoughtfully as she considered the posibilities.

"I am glad to see a Yamataian so tactically-sound!"

"I am glad to have earned your approval." Tamamo tilted her head respectfully to Phase before inquiring, "Have I provided sufficient feedback to allow you to progress?"

"Yes, very much so! I will give more thought to the distribution system. . . maybe a generator-drone will suffice? So many possibilities!"

"I would not complain were that to be done. The friends would be more harmonious in their cooperation like so." She was rather fond of thinking of the drones as friends, a cultural aspect that she had been quick to pick up.

Echelon knew that Tamamo was definitely a cut above the rest of the Nekovalkyrja that she saw at that damned Cat factory a while ago. No wonder they considered a Nekovalkyrja with critical thinking and reasoning skills to be a defect - they were just too good to be around. She folded her arms, and from her eye, projected an image of a smiley face in red.

"That reminds me, I need to buy more blue felt. You were a lot more blue than I expected! 100% in fact!"

"No one expects me to be blue." She smiled, "I am simply the bluest."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back