• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [R&R] Today Is Okay

Moogle

Retired Member
Today is Okay - Angel Beats

Hanging off the bed with datapad in hand, Phoenix glanced up at the pink bit of flesh that was freshly healed on his leg. He'd been hanging around like this all week. It was a lot more relaxing to just keep to himself in his off time. Sometimes the crew of the Phoenix were a little too lively for his liking. It was better when people ignored him. It gave him room to think and grow. Despite this, something was nagging at the back of his mind. This crew had some gruff characters, but there was some value in learning from the other members of the crew. Even Enzo was useful at times. Eventually he'd have to corner him and ask for some lessons with that yuletide gift of his.

Humming quietly, he looked through the messages on his datapad. He stopped on one sent out by Seiren shortly after their arrival. It said something about a factory tour. He should probably congratulate him on his new business or apologize for completely ignoring the invitation like the shut in he was. Before he changed his mind, he flopped over on his bed, pulled some coveralls over his shorts, and hopped out of his cabin. The silver haired Nepleslian fidgeted with his braid as he walked toward the hangar. It was probably where he might find the tiny inventor so that was where he was going to start his search.

Seiren was found in the cargo bay where his workshop was, like always, working on machinery and mysterious invention magic. In this case, it was the special machine that seemed to constitute a whole wall of his area. He didn't hear Phoenix come in, as was also the usual for him, since he was so focused on the readout monitor and durandium-glass window into the machine.

Reeves spotted the large machine that Seiren was working with before he saw the inventor. He resisted the urge to whistle at it. All of his life, he had spent most of his time nose deep in a service manual, so when new tech came along he often felt a little overwhelmed. How did Seiren deal with unexpected setbacks or breakdowns? As he neared the machine he got up on his toes and peered over Seiren's shoulder. "Is that... no it is not... What exactly is this thing?" He murmured to himself. He shifted his weight so he could see over the other male's shoulder. "Um Hi Seiren, What are you working on? It looks err fun I guess. Maybe. Do you need a hand?" He cleared his throat and forced a smile once he was done fumbling with his hello.

"Well, I ju- GAH WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP DOING THAT!?!" Seiren sputtered, arms flailing off the controls. It took the short one a minute to recover his composure, flipping up a set of goggles that he had on previously onto his forehead. His hair looked frazzled and his clothes messy, Seiren looked as tired as ever, if a little less jittery.

"Huh. . . aren't you the one with the confusing name?" he said, squinting at Phoenix. "Have we. . . have we ever talked before?"

"Im sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." He stepped farther away from Seiren so that they were a healthy conversation distance away from each other. Personal space was important after all. He scratched at the back of his neck unable to keep himself from his nervous ticks. When he had picked out his name on his fake ID papers, he hadn't considered the possibility of his name causing this much confusion. "Yes, I'm Phoenix Reeves. He thought over the inventor's question quietly before shaking his head. "I guess I haven't spoken with you yet. Strange huh. I've been here over a year." He paused to count the months in his head. "That's all my fault though I don't really get out much." His eyes dropped down to the floor for a second as he tried to search for something to say." Thanks for the gifts by the way. I loved the candies and the gloves are amazingly useful."

"Oh uh. . . you're one of the people I gave gloves. Yeah, those are nice, aren't they?" Seiren mumbled, scratching his nose. A stifling several minutes of silence settled between the two. The inventor finally spoke up from the exhausting quiet. "Um, back to what you asked, I'm working on new candies. This is my magical anything machine, I guess."

He made a small flourish, gesturing to the bricklike behemoth with running lights and durandium windows all over. Strangely enough, there was only one interface, and that was where he sat.

"Yeah, I use them all the time..." He trailed off. The silence between the pair was painful. Reeves found himself wanting to bolt for the door and put himself into a more comfortable sort of quiet. Why did he think that this was a good idea? He remained quiet a while longer as Seiren explained what he was working on. He edged himself closer to one of the Durandium windows to look inside. "Does it really make everything or does it make just any sort of candy? His thin fingers ran along the window curiously. "Did you build this all yourself? This is really neat. Sort of intimidating though. It is huge." It was probably incredibly fun to play with. He sort of wanted to give it a go. Unfortunately he and Seiren were practically strangers. It was better if he didn't ask to touch his expensive looking equipment.

"I built it myself!" Seiren declared, thumbing his chest with pride. "Every component was salvaged from something else, and it really does do everything. I use it for candy a lot, but any specialized components, I can make. Except for like, circuitry. I need to borrow Allison's machine press for that."

He shrugged, turning back to the machine and pressing more keys.

"It's big, but that's because it needs to be. Anything I need, so long as I've got the basic resources, I can make it here."

Reeves pressed his nose to the glass, then glanced back towards Seiren as he explained more about his everything machine. "I've never seen anything like this before He began to inspect the machine in an attempt to isolate any components that he might recognize. "So something more circuit focused has to be made with the machine press then? Do you ever plan on adding those capablilites, or is it not worth it?".

Phoenix shifted his weight onto the back of his heels as he spoke and tried to relax. "I've always wanted to work on a new eye for myself. Something that has a wider range of focal lengths would be lovely. I don't know how to start. You've done this for a long time... What do you do when you've just started to think about an idea?" Rolling back to the balls of his feet he wandered back to the interface device.

"Ain't worth it. I'd need to like, double the size to make circuits like that," Seiren said. He rubbed the back of his neck, pausing to think about the eye question. "I uh. . . kind of obsess over the idea. But usually I come up with ideas when I'm on a sugar rush. S'where most of this stuff comes from. As for eyes. . . I'd have to see the kind of nerve connectors there are, 'cuz biomechanics ain't my thing, yanno? Like, focal lengths? Easy peasy stuff. I can make simple focus crystals and rigs and stuff. Hell, I've actually got one cooking for a laser I'm making right now. But the connectors are the hard part."

"Oh Yeah? This thing's already big enough " he commented quietly in agreement. He wasn't sure there would be space for a machine double this size. Even if there were they wouldn't be able to move it out again without pulling it apart.

"You know I don't think I've ever had enough sugar to get a whatsit? Sugar rush? Your candy was one of the first I've ever had. My old captain wasn't a fan of sweets so all of our food in the galley was really bland." He frowned to himself as he thought about his old ship. "I really like it though. I mean Candy."

Back on the topic of the eye he gave the glass lens a nervous tap. "My M3300 has a pretty standard nerve connection. It might be easier to buy an eye and retrofit the existing lens." If they did get this new eye working he could work with finer machinary... a better quality lens would make a difference for a lot of things. "What sort of laser are you working on? A weapon of some kind?" He was strangely talkative right now trying to avoid awkward lull in the conversation again.

"Naw, a precision cutting tool."

The machine pinged a few times, and a tray at the end extended out to show the finished product, a simple cylinder with crystal lenses in it.

"Cuz some things you just gotta do by hand. Also a useful thing to have on my Frame to open doors and stuff."

Seiren gestured at the cracked open LEAF leaning against the wall.

"I'm not in the know for eye parts, so I'll take your word for it. Although, just thinkin' about it, I got some basic ideas down for the mechanisms."

The ping from the machine made Reeves' shoulders jump up towards his ears. He laughed nervously at himself "A good percentage of the work I do is by hand." He lifted the cylinder from the tray delicately, careful not to break or drop it. It was nice to see that even in power armour someone could appreciate a more precise approach to solving problems.

"I'd love to hear some of your ideas. I'm not in any hurry to get a working prototype. Optics are definitely not my forte I was just mostly curious to know if it is possible to improve the eye i've got." Reeves passed the cutting tool, or whatever it was, over to Seiren when he was done rambling.

"Well, now's an OK time for this." Seiren said. "No day like today."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back