• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu [restart point] Mission 2, Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Retired Staff
Hinoto looked to the side of her -- seemingly at nothing -- then smiled at the group. "Ah, we have arrived. Everyone please prepare to disembark; you will land on the Miharu shortly. Thank you for your questions!"

With that, the sprite disappeared.

On board the Miharu, everyone was relatively spread out.

The crew had been going through a live-fire training session, complete with targets. One of the last tests for the day had been to test out the firing rate of the Aether Beam Cannon. Ketsurui Zaibatsu had advertised a rate of six pulses per minute, but as Tom Freeman was finding out now, crawling through a maintenance conduit, that was not the case.

The rate was, at best, four -- KZ had stuffed the ship so full of components, the cannon could not cool down properly, leaving essential capacitors damaged. Ichigo was on the other side of the cannon from where Tom was, fixing that side.

Miyoko and Nyton were on the bridge with Kotori. Getting used to the sensor position was easy for Miyoko, but working with Nyton was her main focus -- the tactical officer was analyzing the data from the firing tests and targeting, and testing to see exactly what combinations of weapons and tactics might work best against Star Army vessels. For anyone else, it would be a strange exercise, but for the crew of the Miharu, it was key.

After all, they were fighting KZ ships often enough. With the Battle of Nataria fresh in everyone's minds, it was imperative that the bridge crew especially become familiar with the weaknesses of the Star Army's arsenal. At the time of the shuttle's arrival, the target being discussed was an Ayame-class cruiser. Kotori listened as she reviewed her personally retrieved data.

Meanwhile, Takuma, Masako and Asher were all in the armor bay, examining the new equipment Yukari had allotted to the armor crew. They were also preparing to greet the new armor pilots once they had been released from the initial introduction.

Which left Yukari to do the real greeting work. Standing in the Hoshi's port multifunction bay, she smoothed out the wrinkle in her new skirt and rubbed her sleeve. The new uniform designs were a great improvement over the old ones, she thought, her fingers falling up and down the ridges of the sweater-like garment. The ship had always been a little cold for her, and though she was not used to having her arms covered, she actually liked it. The pants that came with the uniform were different and also better; she could imagine herself wearing them on occasion.

The platform began to move; a force field replaced it as it dropped down into space. Yukari stood "tall," her 157-centimeter frame coated in dark blues and greys, but she did not stand too rigidly -- she did not want to come off as authoritarian. As the black shuttle came into view with the rising platform. The shuttle was facing the wrong way; she frowned and walked into the proper position.

With a light hiss and the sounds of machinery moving, the shuttle's rear door opened. The occupants were free to exit.

Sora rose once the shuttle door opened and waited for everyone else to exit before her- after all, it was proper military etiquette for the last personnel aboard to exit first and the first personnel on to leave last. She adjusted her uniform skirt as she smiled brightly and waited for the others to start progressing out to the Miharu. She spoke politely and addressed the crew with a polite gesture towards the open door, "After you."

Before anyone else from the shuttle could step out, Mara arrived with dual golden Type 28C NSPs on her hips. She was there to help the armor folks get to where they needed to be first.

Kai, being by sheer luck nearest the door, Got up quickly after noticing Sora stand and exited the shuttle, grabbing his gear on the way. Once outside, he stood of to once side of the shuttle and bowed to Yukari, who he assumed was to greet them. "Santo Hei Nakamura, Kai, reporting for duty" He said once he was upright again.

With the rear doors of the shuttle open, Serizawa recovered his and Sora's luggage from the storage compartments and slung their bags over his shoulders. Once he had claimed the bags, the green-paneled soldier didn't delay any further inside of the shuttle.

"I'll take care of our belongings," the scientist told Sora as he passed her. "You should probably report directly to the Taisa as soon as possible."

Serizawa stepped out of the shuttle briskly and saw Yukari waiting for them. Immediately recognizing her from the briefing on board the shuttle, Serizawa walked over to her and, shortly following Kai, bowed as deeply as he could manage with luggage hung over his shoulders.

"Itto Hei Serizawa Ichi reporting, Suzuka-Shosa," he stated briefly

Yukari wore a warm, bright smile as she saw the new members of the Miharu step aboard and join the crew.

She bowed slightly to both, eyes closed until she returned to standing. "Welcome aboard, Nakamura-Hei, Serizawa-Hei."

The young Ketsurui nodded to her lover s he passed. She sighed at the delay of her fellow crew mates and wondered if she was trying to be too formal. She inwardly sighed and exited the shuttle after the others.

Sora smiled brightly at the ship's executive officer and bowed deeply. "Konnichiwa Suzuka-Shosa," she said in an even brighter tone of voice, "Is Kotori-sama available or is she indisposed at the moment, Suzuka-Shosa?"

Yukari had not fully prepared herself for the Ketsurui's bright reddish hair and intense green eyes. She gave her own bow, nearly as deep -- she was Ketsurui, after all.

"She is unavailable at this moment, Kohosei-san," Yukari said softly in Yamataian. "Once we have chosen quarters, I shall inquire if she can see you. We have just finished a training session and she is still reviewing the data."

Sora nodded at Yukari and blushed a little. "About that, I.. had a question about how the Taisa feels about crew members sharing quarters," she asked the curly haired Yamataian woman quietly and sheepishly. Withthe light blush on her cheeks deepening she tucked some strands of loose red hair back behind her ears.

Yoroko stepped off the shuttle with her bag on one shoulder, just now grasping the scope of the assignment. Not only was she assigned to a ship, it was classified to some extent as well. When she saw Yukari she put her bag down beside herself and bowed as low as Kai and Sanjiro had. "Santo Hei Mizuno Yoroko reporting, Suzuka-Shosa."

The silver-haired neko left the shuttle after Yoroko, although unlike everyone else she didn't exactly have a bag to carry about. The neko bowed when she approached Yukari, just like everyone else before her.

"Santo Hei Tsukade Yuril reporting Suzuka-Shosa."

Pulling up the rear behind the three women, trailing his belongings behind him in a rolling suitcase came Sanjuro. He quickly made it to the end of the line that had been forming, bowing deeply as the figure before them as he recognized her visage from the explanations Hinoto had given them earlier. Sanjuro did not, however, speak his name or position yet, choosing to wait until Sora and Yukari had finished their conversation before bringing their attention away.

The Shosa blinked -- then smiled widely, but warmly, actually winking at Sora. "The crew quarters were designed to host four bunks, Kohosei."

Her wavy ponytail draped behind her, Yukari looked to the others, her rank pin flashing in the simulated sunlight from the light panels above. "Mizuno-Hei, Tsukade-Hei," she said with a small bow.

Bright green eyes found darker comrades in Sanjuro. Yukari repeated her bow. "Ashitaka-Heisho, yes?"

Yukari looked over the six new crew that had graced the Miharu by their presence. She smiled. "Welcome to your new home, everyone. I am glad you are well. Before you are settled and then dispatched to your posts, I must introduce Mara-san, the Miharu's avatar."

Mara stepped forward, lustrous sandy blond hair shifting behind her neck as she did so. "Hey everyone," she said with a nice smile. Her sky-colored eyes twinkled. "Nice to meet you all, and remember -- I watch you pee." She stepped back, her smile never shifting beyond mildly amused.

Yukari knew better. Pain bled all over her expression; she recovered quickly. "Thank you, Mara-san. If you will all follow me, I will show you to the Upper Deck." She led them out of the Multifunction Bay and into the cargo storage area, which was lined with several torpedoes, and into a passageway leading to the larger, white-cushioned, gravity-free Main Passageway.

That's... creepy Kai thought Looks like I'll have to hold it till our next shore leave.Bowing to the ship's avatar. Her nonchalance at that statement gave him a secret scare. Nevertheless, he picked up his bags and followed Suzuka Shosa down the hallway, looking around in a fair amount of amazement. He had never been on a real warship before, just transports so far, and everything in here looked cool. he was having trouble refraining from touching the torpedos, but he held himself back. He knew better than to touch them.

"That... would be a very interesting night, I suppose." Sora blushed at Yukari's wink but smiled brightly again, thrilled to hear a positive answer towards her room assignment question. This means that Ichi and I can continue to share a room!

Upon hearing Mara's comment, she laughed awkwardly hoping the avatar had been joking as she followed after Yukari and the others towards the upper deck. Every so often she glanced back over her shoulder at Serizawa with a soft smile before returning her attention to where they were going.

Serizawa seemed unphased by the odd introduction given by Miharu's avatar, Mara.

That kind of thing wouldn't really surprise me at all, the scientist thought as Yukari started to lead them out of the multifunction bay.

Serizawa floated leisurely just behind Sora inside of the main corridor. While Sora had been looking back at him and smiling occasionally, the Yamataian physicist had his attention almost entirely devoted to admiring his lover in a zero-G environment.

Yukari watched as Serizawa, not quite paying attention, had started floating upward, while the rest of the group had remained at the foot of the passageway.

"This is the Main Passageway," she said with a smile. "As you can see, it is zero-gravity at all times. You can propel yourself, or use the handholds lining the corridor walls." Yukari gently jumped and simply floated upward from the power of her initial movement. She passed Serizawa on the way, giving him a small wave before she made it to the top.

As she passed, there was a flash of red and gold around the mildly bushy ponytail of her hair.

Sora followed the examples that Yukari and Serizawa had set and gently jumped upward to make herself float upwards after the two. She smiled quietly to herself, she had always enjoyed the feeling of being in zero g, if even for a few brief moments. "Suzuka-Shosa, do you know if there are any discrepancies between the layout of the Miharu and the Asamoya? I'm not sure just how much different the Asamoya is from the initial design."

"I do not," Yukari replied, a hand to her cheek. "The Asamoya is a test type of the Himiko-class; modifications are expected, but I do not know to what to degree."

Naoko followed the others nigh-on silently, as ever finding no opening to speak and no questions which were not asked and subsequently answered by others - while she took in everything she saw and began to think hard about how she would fit in with the situation, to defend and maintain her starship-home. She did wonder why she didn't find herself talking, and didn't come up with any particularly good reason - some form of stage fright perhaps? Being in front of not only nobility but veterans of such a revered ship could certain achieve that effect. Some sense of efficiency and conservation of energy? Well that would certainly make her feel better about it, and she could probably make a good argument for why it was a far better thing for an NH-27 to do.

However Naoko was fairly certain that wasn't it - she thought that she might actually be scared. Insane perhaps, that someone who would go into the fray time and time again (if given the chance) for Empire and Emperor would find themselves scared to merely speak up and socialize. Naoko deeply wished that someone would speak to her so that this original barrier could be broken. Then perhaps she could have bravery on more than one front.

Looking down the lip of the corridor, Yukari suddenly saw another Neko -- one she could've sworn was a sprite, but she wore red panels and trailed behind everyone -- even Mara, who, at the base of the main deck's part of the corridor, looked at the Neko oddly.

And that's when Yukari remembered the last member of the crew, a late addition -- Sato Naoko. A technical sentry, focused on engineering. As everyone came to the top, and Naoko followed, she smiled and gave the Neko a small bow. "I apologize for not acknowledging you, Sato-Hei; I should have noticed you sooner. Welcome aboard the Miharu."

The Shosa took her troupe past the wardroom, with its many tables and couches, past the kitchen and recreation room, past the toilets and passenger suite where Kotori stayed (all of which had volumetric displays saying what they were) and to the start of the crew quarters.

"These are the crew quarters -- all are laid out in the same way now, but you can instruct the Nodal System to reconfigure them. It will provide you a list of available options. Please choose now, or talk amongst yourselves to determine how you wish to congregate. Those not part of the power armor contingent, you have 15 minutes. Those who are, you have only 5 minutes, so you may leave your things inside of my room if you cannot make a decision."

Yukari pointed toward the end of the corridor, and a red volumetric arrow (with gold trim) zipped from her finger and to her door -- the officer quarters on the starboard side. The arrow rested there in midair after her finger fell away. "I will be waiting in the wardroom. Please do not delay."

With that, Yukari bowed slightly and left with a smile lingering behind her.

Yoroko looked around at all the rooms available to her. Well, I might as well just pick one, if they are all the same it doesn't matter too much. Yoroko thought as she walked over to a room and opened the door (starboard 7). As she entered the room, Yoroko remembered that there were a few more configurations available for the room. Looking down at her datapad Yoroko looked through the list she thought Nest style? Those were always the most comfortable. As she selected the room to be nest style she noticed that the room would be unusable for about an hour. Before she left, Yoroko stowed her bag in the storage compartments I can unpack later. she thought as she walked out the door.

Sora looked at the available quarters listing on her data pad for a moment and then looked at Serizawa for a moment with a questioning look. Officer's Quarters or enlisted quarters? Was the question on her mind that she hadn't quite voiced yet. She toyed with her hair for a moment as she pondered this before she quietly spoke to Serizawa, "What do you think, Ichi-Kun, Officer's quarters or enlisted quarters?"

Mara, who was still with the group (just in case!), piped up near the Kohosei.

"You two get officer's quarters. They're on the port side though, near the primary power armor pilots -- like me."

Re: [restart point] Mission 2

Nyton simultaneously scanned over the Ayame-class stats while cross referencing with the weapons console. "I'm sure I state the obvious when I say the best approach to an Ayame would be behind as it would be with most ships. This type we have an added challenge seeing as the Ayame-class possesses a Forward Deflector Field which gives the fore of the ship extra protection. This shield renders our particle canons useless and while our Beam Canon would eventually be able to overwhelm this they will not likely stay still long enough to do this. The rest of the ship is encased in an Elliptical Dimensional Distortion shield in the shape of a bubble. The shield frequency and fields are automatically modulated by the MEGAMI with extra power diverted to known enemy weapon bands. The ship's hull is made of Zesuaium and has armor plating made of Zesuaium coated titanium boron carbide. The thin layers keep the ship's weight low for improved mobility. On top of this it may deploy fifty centimeter thick heavy armor over the entire hull including the CDD, thrusters, and sensor systems. There is a combined Photonic/Gravitonic field for further defense and it can self-regenerate through hemosynthesis." Nyton said as he covered the defensive capabilities of a typical Ayame class ship.

Nyton then shifted over to the weapons payload readout. "The front of the ship has a heavy Transposition Flux Canon mounted which has a range starting at thirty miles to two hundred million over a thirty mile wide area. Rate of fire is once every minute. However it cannot hit anything which is less than twenty miles from the ship. There are also two Directed Fold Canons which can be used to teleport either targets or itself. It's range is limited only to it's sensor array and can fire once every fifteen seconds provided the Transuniversal Teleportation Drive is functional. There are six Positron Canons in 'Striker' array which is focused to counter Power Armor assaults. Two are mounted on the forward dorsal arrays, one on the aft dorsal, two on the forward ventral, and one on the aft ventral array. These canons can fire every five seconds and have a range of six hundred thousand miles. Finally there are seven hundred twenty Variable Weapons Pods available for launch." he concluded.

Nyton began to seriously ponder how the Miharu's own weapons could be implemented against an Ayame. "We would be hard pressed to overpower their shields in a direct match. If we could knock those out with a Type One Subspace torpedo that would even things up a little. However, they would have to not see us coming since they can move faster than our torpedoes, not to mention the ability to teleport themselves. The TFC can be thwarted but only if we close the distance to within twenty miles. They cannot fire it at that close range. At sublight speeds we would also have the advantage in both speed and maneuverability. With no shields up and at close range our Particle Canons would be able to outmatch them in a pure broadside slugfest. Even moreso if we can manuever ourselves to fire the Beam Canon. They would still possess the DFC which can be used to move themselves away but only once the effects of the torpedo wear off. A difficult but not altogether impossible opponent to defeat I would say." Nyton finished.

Jôtô Hei Saito Miyoko was upset... not that this was a rare event. For once, the source of her unhappiness wasn't her work--though she certainly would have been happier if the crew had spent the first day back catching up with each other instead. Still, she was doing something that she knew how to do and nobody was facing imminent death if she messed up. This was practically a first in her time on the Miharu. Any other time, she would have been ecstatic under these circumstances.

Today, her bad mood was from a new source: she'd recently realized that her third birthday was coming up. The scientist part of her knew that this didn't really mean anything--after all, a year was just an arbitrary length of time based on how fast some big rock twirled around a big ball of plasma; it held no true significance to her development. But still... three years. That was more than, she was well aware, a thousand days. 26,280 hours. Over a million and a half minutes. Almost one-tenth of a billion seconds. A far longer period of time than many active-duty nekos ever survived.

More importantly, it meant that nearly half of her compulsory military service period was over with. She'd never even dared to make plans for what to do at the end of those eight years; hell, she could barely even comprehend it. Military service was her entire life so far. Now, with almost half of her time behind her, she felt like she'd accomplished little and had barely a heartbeat left before her service ended and hurled her into uncertainty. Quite simply, Miyoko was having a mid-life crisis.

And what about the birthday itself? Before the Miharu, she'd never been on a ship long enough to even consider mentioning it to her crewmates. Did she bring it up now? As much as she hated being the center of attention, she was tempted to coerce the MEGAMI into keeping the event secret until it was well past. On the other hand, the thought of people surprising her with presents was certainly enticing. What if she were reassigned before the end of the year and went back to constantly being transferred, with this one year her only chance to celebrate her birthday with people who might actually care? What if people saw her as immature or greedy for bringing it up? After all, with the ship able to hold dozens of people, it would be a bit silly to have a celebration for every single person's birthday.

It was all rather overwhelming, really. She'd already drawn what little she could from the MEGAMI's archives, reading every scrap of information on nekovalkyrja birthday celebrations. Such a dry source of information wasn't much relief. What this ship really needed, she decided, was a therapist to talk to about these sorts of things. Then another part of her mind pointed out that she would probably spend half of her time in the therapist's office if there were one, leading her to spend a few dozen minutes in more self-doubt than usual.

Fortunately, several of the crew members were practically birthday experts. The natural-born types had all had a ridiculous amount of them by now, and even Yukari had a prodigal count compared to Miyoko. But, it didn't seem like it would be right to discuss it with a non-neko. They'd probably think she was silly for thinking so much about something so trivial. Such was it that Miyoko resolved to seek Yukari or Masako out as soon as possible and ask what their opinions on the weighty subject. Yukari had encountered plenty of birthdays, and Masako was close enough to her own age to hopefully share a few of the same concerns.

Thankfully, Miyoko was used to being worried about things, and didn't let her concerns hinder her from doing her job... not that it was a difficult job at the moment. Since she wasn't much of a tactician, she had little to do other than relaying the results of the bombardments to Nyton. A single idea did manage to slip out during the session, though.

"Why not have an antimatter torpedo behind the subspace one, waiting to launch immediately afterward? If we used a compressed antimatter charge to make a breach in their armor, it could give us a weakness to exploit. If we aimed it right, we could even use it to take out a weapon or subsystem." She trailed off, looking reluctant to continue--pretty much every tactical suggestion she'd made to date had contained a vital flaw somewhere. She quickly accounted for that by pointing out every problem she could think of. "Granted, they'd have a bit more time to dodge the second torpedo, especially once the first detonated, but it doesn't seem like a huge long-shot if the plan relies on catching them by surprise anyway. If not that, we might at least be able to have the Hoshi come up from the far side, giving us twice as much coverage with the particle cannons."

Nyton did not have to turn to look at Miyoko but he nodded at her suggestion. "We did that during the battle with the SMX battlegroup. It actually worked very well, we just need to make sure the timing is precise." he said as he brought up the data from the battle. He then applied the same calculations but replaced the Mishhu battleship with an Ayame-class vessel. The ship took the first torpedo and lost it's shields. Immediately after the second torpedo hit and the ship's hull received massive damage. "A well placed torpedo will do wonders sometimes, won't it?" Nyton remarked coolly.

Nyton was certainly relaxed today. He was in his element. It wasn't actual fighting but it was planning for battle. A few days earlier he had returned from his trip home. There was much work to do and catch up with and he wanted to get back on top of things. The data from the Meng Po was crucial and he studied it as closely as possible. There were many mysteries still present even with the Black Spiral's apparent 'return' into the Empire's fold. Plus before everyone returned he wanted to deposit everyone's souvenirs in their quarters. It had been impossible to surprise the Sprites since they were connected to the ship and it's sensors which all but alerted them to the contents. But it was just as well since this way he could at least lighten his load somewhat and receive some help with the delivery of the gifts. The weapons for Yukari and Asher, the picture book for Masako, the holo-model for Takuma, the music for Tom, the charm for Miyoko, and finally the comb and brush set for Kotori. A Nepleslian t-shirt was also added to this ensemble, especially once Nyton had managed to find a pair of matching mugs with Ichigo and Nimura's names on it. This way everyone got a shirt and the twins got more than just shirts.

"Alright then, what is next on the agenda? I still have yet to attempt to synchronize my Machinery Interface cybernetic eye to see if it will work or not." Nyton then said.

"Continue on to the next ship up the list and run weapon simulations until we have covered all of them first." Kotori said while she continued to read her data screens.

Nyton nodded and resumed work. He kept his eagerness to test out his new cybernetic modification in check even as he glanced over at the small plastic casing that contained his new FTMI. If it could sync with the Miharu's tactical console he wouldn't have to input commands manually anymore plus data from sensors would be received at the same time as the ship.

"Very well then moving on; the next ship is the Irim-class heavy gunship. The Irim's weapon systems are designed for maximum offensive capability. On the forward weapon modules is the Type Twenty Six A Anti-Fleet weapon. It's range is from twenty to four hundred fifty million miles out in a two hundred fifty thousand mile wide area and can be fired once a minute. It cannot be fired below the twenty mile mark. There are four Type Twenty Six A Positron Accelerator Canons, each one located on the top and bottom of the forward weapon modules. They have a range of five hundred thousand miles and can fire twice every fifteen seconds. It is limited to a self regenerating payload of twenty five rounds every hour and cannot be used within atmospheric conditions. Next weapon system are the two torpedo tubes located in the Armor Section Connection Pylon. They can fire to the fore and aft of the ship in a three round burst. Typical torpedo payload for the Irim are Aether and Anti-Matter warheads of forty five each. Normal tactic used is to fire in pairs an Aether torpedo followed by an Anti-Matter torpedo. The Irim carries seven hundred twenty Variable Weapons Pods. Finally there are one hundred small semi-retractable missle launchers located at various points along the hull. The missles have a range of five hundred thousand miles and have a combineable fire pattern of five, ten, twenty five, or fifty missle volley. Warheads for the missles are Subspace Detonator Missles and the Multi-purpose Shield and Armor Piercing. There is a payload of five hundred missles of each type. There is a compliment of thirty five thousand Lamia and thirty three Mindy type Armors plus thirty three Fox T Four Combat shuttles and three Kitty T Two Stealth shuttles."

Nyton shifted a bit as he tried to imagine the full combat potential of an Irim. Not exactly a graceful ship but definately powerful. He then began to go over the other ship systems of combat value. "The ship's hull is armored by three foot thick Zesuasium coated Yamataium. The frame itself is also made of Zesuasium and there is a deployable layer of fifty centimeter thick armor plates that are protected from Scalar fields by a combination Photonic/Gravitonic field. The armor flakes away when damaged and regenerates via hemosynthesis. There is a Combined Field System which provides shielding and can fire a projected energy beam. It also generates an Interdiction Field which can stop FTL capabilities in enemy ships."

"At least we're faster than the Irim on all points, sublight, hyperspace, and with CDD." Nyton remarked before he went on to begin a weapons check. "Alright Saito-Hei, I'm going to just run a few simple sims here. Stationary target, no countermeasures, full defensive capabilities online. I'll then fire off a few rounds from our main canon both pulse and beam mode. Then I'll close in and use our particle canons for a few barrages. After that I'll use the torpedoes for some direct and area of effect bursts. Finally I'll begin to mix up the weapons." he announced over to Miyoko. "Beginning in five seconds."

Asher fingered through his datapad, reviewing all the equipment via the ship's supply data.

Hoshi Armories

Primary Weaponry
12x Ke-M4-2901 Type 29 Light Armor Weapons Systems, 6x to 7x Magazines for every one Ke-M4-2901.
20x Ke-M6-W2901 Atmospheric Plasma Rifles
8x Ke-M2-2901 Aether Saber Rifles with 40 BR-M20 magazines and attachment cables
6x Black Spiral-Type Positron Rifles, with 15 magazines
Primary Support Equipment
6x Ke-M6-W2901 LASR Standard Light Armor Grenade launchers with 30 grenades for each
20x Ke-M6-W2902 Atmospheric Plasma Rifle focusing adaptors
20x Ke-M6-W2903 Atmospheric Plasma Rifle space kits
4x Ke-M2-W2909 Accelerated Plasma Rifle Rapid Grenade Launchers
Secondary Weaponry
3x Ke-M2-W2909 Accelerated Plasma Rifles
4x Ke-M6-W2904 Type 29 Armor Service Pistols, 11x Magazines for each Ke-M6-W2904
4x Ke-M2-W2905 Shoulder-Fired 50 mm Gauss Cannons
2x Ke-M4-2A Sylph Wingpack
Secondary Support Equipment
2x Ke-M2-W2909 Accelerated Plasma Rifle Rapid Grenade Launchers (50 mm ammo, 24 grenades for each)
2x Ke-M2-W2905-BPX Gauss Cannon backpack extension
Indirect Weaponry
6x Ke-M2-2906 Missile Pods
400x Ke-M2-W2906-MSAP mini-missiles(Shoulder-mounted use)
5360x Ke-M6-W2901-IMM, Ke-M2-W2907-SDMM, Ke-M2-W2907-MFMA, Ke-M2-W2907-ARMA, Ke-M2-W2908-MSAP mini-missiles(Leg-mounted use)
140x Daisy M6 Optional Tactical Drones
240x Ke-M2-W2903-NSD Assault Drones
480x Ke-M2-W2904-NSB Nodal Support Bits
Infantry Weapons
35x KZ Type 28A Nekovalkyrja Service Pistols, 100x additional BR-28A battery magazines
15x Type 28 Nekovalkyrja Submachineguns, 20x additional BR-SMG battery magazines
45x Black Spiral-Type Psionic Grenades
Explosives, grenades, and body armor as needed and/or available
Support Units
6x Ke-M2-P2900 Teleportation Units
2x Black Spiral-Type Double Teleportation Module
4x Ke-M2-W2904 NSB Launchers
2x Ke-M2-P2903 Hyperspace Fold Booster
4x Ke-M2-P2904 Barrier Shield Module
2x Ke-M2-F2904 Zesuaium Chainmail Vests
4x Ke-M1-P2701 Arm Shield (Xiulurium-coated)
4x Ke-M6-1C Daisy SAS Compact Sensor Suite Packs
2x Ke-M2-G2902 Nodal Fabrication Module
10x Ke-M6-P2902 Gravimetric Engine Thruster Pack
40x Type 28 Army Multi-Species Environmental Suits
Weapon maintenance supplies, cleaning kits, and spare parts (such as human grips)

Hoshi Armor Bays

6x Mindy M2-2A Power Armor
2x Daisy M6-1C Power Armor
12x Daisy M6-1B Power Armor

Shit man, we must be goin' into some deep shit. Asher thought to himself as he reviewed the long list of inventory an weapons. He looked over at Masako and Takuma.

"You fella's seein' all this?" He raised his datapad to show them. "This's just 'bout 'nuff equipment to fight ya own personal war."

Though the short neko warrant officer was going over armor equipment with both Takuma and Asher, the young Masako was only half paying attention to the inventory. Her main importance was the armor pilots being transferred to the Miharu. Since she was the ship's Armor Wing Leader, the Miharu had sent the roster of pilots over to her that same day. Because of this, the short neko was going over the roster more than the inventory. Her face had been easily read as they had sifted through the inventory, Takuma and Asher could probably have seen her expression of deep thought and partial attention to what the two men had been doing.

We're receiving two more dedicated armor pilots and our first fighter pilot, Masako thought as she tapped her wrist computer. Meaning we have four armor pilots, a fighter pilot, ten of the remaining crew, and seven sprites, she inventoried.

That means I can crew all the Mindies without endangering any important crewmates. After all, our technicians will be needed in case of damage, the bridge crew is needed there, our medical personnel is too important to place in Mindy IIs (given the lighter armor)....that leaves four armor pilots and two of the Miharu sprites in the Mindies. The Daisies, with their heavier armor, would be better for the rest, but I'm hoping it won't have to come to that any more, she thought quickly before Asher brought her attention else where.

Asher said:
"You fella's seein' all this? This's just 'bout 'nuff equipment to fight ya own personal war."

The enlisted man's strange, but familiar accent made it easy for Masako to be pulled from her roster and to the inventory in his hands. "Yes, it is definitely a lot, Westwood-Hei," she commented as she glanced over the inventory for the second time since they had begun. This time, she paid a bit more attention to the weaponry. "But I want to wait until our new recruits are brought here before going over it in detail. After all, we now have a four-man team of dedicated armor pilots. That gives us greater flexibility than before...plus, we no longer have to endanger those that are needed on the Miharu." she commented before gaining a pondering expression.

"I wonder if we can train one of our medical personnel as a dedicated combat medic," she thought out loud as her mind went through possibilities and plans once again. It was easy to tell once again, the young Kurohoshi Masako was excited about the new additions to their crew.

"Pssh, just hand out some band-aids and stuff'em in tha' Mindy compartment. It saves tha' trouble'a trainin' a Combat Medic, and keeps us juss' as safe." Asher joked with a grin.

"If you ever get injured in battle Asher, I'll just toss you a band-aid and leave," Takuma said sarcastically.

"About the combat medic, that sounds like it could be a good idea. It may be easier to just have someone available to teleport or carry the injured soldier back to the ship, but sadly, that's not always a luxury we have. A dedicated field medic would be excellent in that situation. If any of the new recruits seem acceptable, I'd go for it."

New recruits, he thought. It didn't even seem like he was on the ship for long and new crew mates were already joining up. He was more curious than normal about their new crew. One reason was obviously that they just arrived. The other reason was that he noticed three of them went to Fort Ready. I'll have to ask them if they saw my brother Kiyoshi there, he thought to himself. Kiyoshi and the new recruits were in the same class.

People always could tell Takuma and Kiyoshi were related. Kiyoshi had his hair cut a little shorter and was a few inches shorter than Takuma. Those were the only major differences between the two right there. He was half expecting them to mistake him for his brother. Maybe I could mess with them at first, he thought, giving a small, sinister looking smile. We'll have to see.

In the maintenance conduits, Ichigo brushed a sweatless strand of hair out of her face, and ducked to look down over at the overheated capacitor ... and Tom. Who also looked overheated.

"Still there, Juni-san?" Pulling a wrench from her work belt, she popped a panel on the large aether cannon and peered down.

"Yup!" *SMACK* Tom's wrench clanked against the plating of panel he was sealing up. Apparently, the cause of the problem was that the Miharu's cannon was drawing too much energy to one point of the energy grid. That one section was being overwhelmed by the energy requirements of the cannon, causing a bottleneck in firing rate as well as an overheating issue when the same panel had to handle massive amounts of energy over and over again.

The solution was simple, although it took a lot of stretching and twisting to get down to the panels below the overheated one. Obviously, oil, sweat and grease were fast becoming a second skin to him. After getting there, he had rewired the feeds from the panel below the problem one to redirect to adjacent ones to spread out energy evenly instead of concentrating it down one route.

"I swear, though, I'm two seconds away from smashing my fist into this thing," he said through gritted teeth. "There's just too much stuff on this ship that I'm starting to think they didn't pay enough attention to any of the parts before putting it all together! Grrr!"

*CLANK* The panel sealed shut and Tom began the long crawl out of the maintenance shaft. "Ichigo, after I'm out of here, run some simulations on the power distribution of this thing. Make sure panel AE-27 isn't being tidal-waved."

Ichigo flashed a little grin as Tom expressed himself as only her boss could.

"Yessir," she replied, crawling down to the panel he requested. Capacitor panel Aetheric Energy 27 was not damaged, but it was now the panel next likely to be fried. Ichigo modified its energy focusing ability, but it was a minor fix to a multifaceted problem.

Tom was right. The ship was a prototype; there was lots to fix.

"Is all well, Tom-san?" Yukari's telepathic voice filtered into the head engineer's brain.

Sora smiled brightly as a bright red flush appeared across her cheeks as Mara told herself and Serizawa that they'd be in the officers' quarters. "Arigatou, Mara-san! I guess we can take the port officer's quarters marked number 1?" She asked the sprite politely for confirmation.

"Yup!" Mara said. "Feel free. It's made up with a bed right now though.

"How's everyone else?" Mara asked.

"Understood," Miyoko replied to Nyton as she began configuring the sensors for the new simulation. It was an odd mixture of warfare and science, conducting experiments to see what assault styles worked best. Not the most exciting thing she'd done in her time on the Miharu, but she wasn't complaining. If the first day back couldn't be free time, she fully supported it being easy work. The fact that they were doing such broad preparation for war disturbed her, though. With the crew preparing to fight just about anything, she couldn't help but fear that they might be fighting just about anything in the weeks to come.

"Oh... I guess I'm fine with whatever room you feel like placing me in... I'm not all that picky you could say. Although having my own room would be preferable to sharing though..."

Not that Yuril was anti-social or anything... The neko just wanted a little place to call her own.

The simulation began to run and an Irim appeared before them on the sensors. The ship stayed still and was in fresh trim with full shields up. Nyton secured a target lock and opened fire with the main canon. The first round of pulse mode streaked towards the target and gave a direct hit on the port side of the ship. The shot managed to overpower the shields briefly and did minor damage to the armor. Allowing for the shield to restore itself, Nyton fired again. The shot hit again but the weakened shields could only repel some of the damage and even more energy struck the armor. This time the weakened armor collapsed further until the ship was in critical condition. One final shot and the shields collapsed again, this time fading out permanantly as the ship was completely obliterated.

As soon as the Irim was destroyed it would return again for another test. This time he fired the main canon at different sections of the ship to spread the damage all around the armor. The shields successively weakened although they were able to disperse enough damage to allow the ship to survive two more shots. The damaged areas overlapped and soon doomed the ship to destruction after five rounds.

Nyton took note of critical areas on the ship and switched over to beam mode. A beam of energy from the main canon lanced out and struck the enemy ship. The beam began to drill into the ship's forward bow and continued to raise intensity until the ship was destroyed after forty seconds of continuous fire to the same section. The test was run again only this time the beam was raked across the ship. The damage accumulated slowly even as the strength of the beam grew. The ship finally collapsed after fifty seconds when the shields failed to deflect enough damage to prevent the armor from completely fading away. He ran another simulation wherein he tracked the beam over the engineering section. After twenty five seconds the damage to the section created an unsuitable enough environment that the ship's power went offline and was left adrift.

"Moving onto the particle canons." Nyton announced and he brought the six guns online and tracking the target. At optimal angle all six canons were able to lock on and fire at the ship. The six bolts of energy overloaded the shield and struck the armor. When all six shots concentrated in one general area the Irim went down after two volleys of focused fire. Nyton then spread the fire arc so that each canon hit the same seperate section. The ship went down after three rounds. Moving the Irim around Nyton then did a classic broadside where only four of the canons could track the target. The broadside did moderate damage until the ship was destroyed again in three barrages.

"Moving on to torpedoes." Nyton then announced. The torpedo runs went about with roughly the same results. Three Anti Matter torpedoes easily crushed the shields and armor, while the Compressed Anti-Matter and Transphasic Aether required a drop in the shields before they could do any negligible damage. The Wicked Arms Transphasic Aether torpdoes fared a little better but still required several rounds to destroy the armor. Nyton then programmed the target ship to move at full sublight speed while he tried to triangulate an area of detonation which would catch the Irim within the explosion.

With no announcement Nyton then began switching and combining weapon systems. Particle canons fired along with the Aether canon, torpedoes covered by canon fire, various firing patterns that swapped out weapons. After a series of this sort of firing test Nyton then concluded the exercise. "Alright I think that covers everything. Any further ideas based on your scan results, Saito-Hei?"

"Perhaps a run with the enemy fighting back, to take their weapon coverage into account," Miyoko suggested. "After all, it does us no good to know that we can destroy an Irim in 25 seconds if they can take us down in 20 seconds if we don't approach from just the right direction." She pulled up the schematics for the gunship, its weapons' fields of fire plotted on it as oh-so-many red cones. "There really isn't any vector of approach that doesn't open us up to fire from several weapons at once, but we should be able to at least avoid the legacy cannon and positron accelerators. Off-hand, I believe that the best choice would be following it very closely and slightly off-center, with the engines between us and its center of mass."

Mara seemed to ponder this for a second. "You're a power armor pilot. Why not be with the rest of us on the port side? Try Enlisted No. 7."

Kai was wondering which room he should go in, too. He looked over the room layout and finally decided which one he wanted. "Could I have Port enlisted 12 please?" He asked Mara.

Mara looked at the tall, kind of gangly looking Hei, and nodded. "Port No. 12 is open, so yes, it's all yours."

Enough time had passed, Yukari had thought. She had given the new crewmembers time to assemble their belongings where they wanted them.

Time weighed on her. She could feel it, cold hands of iron hanging from her shoulders. The adversaries of the Empire were far away, and with her seemingly new position as Executive Officer, Yukari had to think about getting closer to them. Soon.

She returned to the top of the stairs and saw everyone had placed their things somewhere, at least. Mara nodded to Yukari.

"Everyone, if you will please follow me -- before you are released to your respective stations, you must be briefed on your assignment. Please follow me to the Sensor Dome, where Ketsurui-Taisa will lay out our objectives for the mission at hand."

Yukari turned on her heel and, with everyone following her, walked down the stairs and toward the sensor dome.

"Taisa, we are leaving for the Sensor Dome now and will await your arrival," Yukari sent. "I will ensure the holographic emitters are properly calibrated for your briefing."

Sanjuro, whom had silently picked a room closest to the passageway leading to the YSS Miharu's medical facilities, was quick to nod and quicker to follow his Executive Officer as she led them further down the corridors. As he walked, he made sure that his outfit was, in all sense of the word, perfect.

He edged his tie a tad to the left. Then, to the right.

In fact, nearly the entire walk was occupied with Sanjuro attempting and reattempting to straighten his tie and ensure perfect presentable appearance. Making a good first impression on the Taisa was what all of his endless hours of studying doctrines and articles had taught him, after all...and he certainly knew he wasn't going to impress her with his stunning wit and social charms.

Upon hearing comfirmation of his room, Kai briskly walked over to it, tossed his bag on the bed unceremoniously, and pulled off his coat, throwing it in a ball onto his bag. This revealed his full uniform, which he had been wearing the whole time. He stepped out of the room just in time to hear Yukari asking them to follow her, which he did silently.

Sora dutifully followed after Yukari as she was instructed. She took a few moments as they walked to look at the ship around them to get a feel of how to exactly get around her new home. She returned her attention to the bob of Yukari's ponytail as the Yamataian walked ever forward. The gleam of light reflecting off the gold color of Yukari's ponytail holder had caught the young Ketsurui's attention for a little while before her attention shifted to somewhere else again.

"The most prudent choice, provided we can create such an opportunity." Nyton replied. "Our shields are able to resist the piercing nature of their torpedoes, plus the scalar field generated in the outer layers will neutralize the missles fired from their launchers. An approach from that vector would neutralize up to two of the positron accelerators. Still, we would have to keep tight on the ship." he said while he thought.

"In any event, all these exercises against SA ships leads me to ponder if Black Spiral has truly returned to the Empire's fold. Things being so tangled as they are I would not doubt the possibility of a ship's crew suddenly turning around at some planned moment." Nyton then added grimly.

"You are discounting the number of mecha the Ayame-class can have onboard," Kotori pointed out. "Thousands of Lamias all armed with railguns or the older saber-rifle models would still pose a threat up close if they manage to fire en-masse on the ship."

The Taisa stood up from her seat, her own analysis complete. "That will be all for now. I'd like to cover the Nozomi, Sakura and Yui-5 classes later on, since they seem to be the more commonly used ships our enemy uses - but for now we will move on to the scheduled briefing." Kotori wisked one hand briskly through her black hair and nodded to the two before walking out of the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back