• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

OOC Resurgence of Yamatai (YSS Resurgence)

The JPs really overwhelm me, so unfortunately I don't know if I'll be able to keep up super easily - so much happens in so little time. Hopefully I'll keep up with this one? I'm not sure...

Thanks everyone who as able to make it!

So I think we're running into a few issues here:
  1. I need to make better GM posts, which have the three things all posts should have (involving all the players, moving the story, and fun/surprising to read) and have a beginning and end designed for the reader.
  2. The plot's overall story isn't super plot-like or actiony which seems like it is causing you guys (the players) to feel lost or unsure what to post.
  3. There's so many players in the plot it's kind of hard to include/respond to everyone, especially when the party splits up
  4. However when the crew is together we got so many people
  5. Players aren't posting SPs regularly which makes the JPers get all the action
  6. Because players aren't posting as often as I'd like it's turned into a sort of NPC fest
  7. Nobody's sure who's active so people aren't making posts where they talk to or interact with other player characters
What are your thoughts on these? What do you need most from me to enjoy this more and post more?

I'm thinking we should have the ship get completed and move most of the NPCs to it so we have a more away-team sized group(s) that are mostly players. Also I want to set a goal for all of us to have one post a day and for me it should be a meaty one if possible. Additional small posts can be made too.

Now that you put it into words, that is exactly how I've been feeling about the plot so far. I just don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing. I get we're supposed to be learning stuff ect. But I'm unsure how best to go about that. As for the JPs, I've just wound up being busy on the nights we've done it but will join whenever I'm able.

I like your idea about the ship being finished so we can keep the npcs somewhere. I also think giving us some goals will help a lot. I think we're still kinda figuring out this plot but it has so much potential and once the bugs are worked out it'll be a fantastic plot.

I'll admit with how the pace was going I got abit overwhelmed plus work picked up so haven't been able to post. Will say for me though i'm all for jps kinda of sucked I missed out and just felt like for me at least I haven't been able to jump back in ( This is on my part though).

I'll admit I agree with the points above, also I think it will take abit for everyone to get use to a new format. I know now looking at it more, it reminds me of old STSF session we had once in a while. So might be good just to remind people what freedom of action they might have while also lowering the load the gm has.

Sorry this was a quick thing from me, wanted to send this before I went to bed.

Plot’s been pretty cool so far. The main reason I haven’t been posting more is because it’s honesty not always necessary due to having such a big cast of characters. I agree that getting the ship will speed things along well, and give us more focus. Until then, though, I’m enjoying reading about and visiting Yamatai’s locations. Can’t wait to see what happens next.

One post a day is an extremely high standard to keep for a plot. That's asking for many people to dedicate half an hour or more to writing (even if it doesn't feel that way), after factors like work, taking care of friends/family, etc. - in a sense, that would be turning SARP, more specifically this plot, into a job of its own.

I would suggest, perhaps 2 posts per week instead. This is still going to be fairly speedy, but it gives people time to write posts with meaning and not gut themselves for time to work here.

As for the SP/JP debate: I'm generally not a fan of JPs with groups, as things get out of hand and are very hard to follow. Add on the fact that the JPs typically happen at a time I am getting ready for bed (approximately 8 PM I believe) and it becomes difficult to participate with something that has taken over the core of the writing for now.

While the idea of a "free exploration" sort of idea is pretty fantastic, it should definitely have limitations - keeping people from splitting into particularly small groups (i.e. only 3 people together) or a lot of groups (more than 3 groups, really) would help manage this.

As for my own lack of SP style posts... All the action going into the JPs right from when they started made it too difficult to keep up, since I would miss the JPs due to aforementioned scheduling conflicts, forcing me to essentially write my characters in a reactionary, reflective/behind-everyone-else/no-potential-interactions way.

I'm still around, but unfortunately this semester is turning into a doozie since it's my last one and I also have to start applying for jobs/making plans to move to a new city on top of senior-level college coursework and an internship.

@Wes would you mind if I placed Jax aboard the ship in the engineering bay as it's being delivered?

One post a day is an extremely high standard to keep for a plot. That's asking for many people to dedicate half an hour or more to writing (even if it doesn't feel that way), after factors like work, taking care of friends/family, etc. - in a sense, that would be turning SARP, more specifically this plot, into a job of its own.

I would suggest, perhaps 2 posts per week instead. This is still going to be fairly speedy, but it gives people time to write posts with meaning and not gut themselves for time to work here.
I mean 1 post a day as a goal for me.

Also, I'm going to have to start cutting people who aren't posting at least semi-regularly.

I don't expect everyone to post every day but I am going to try to post every day. For players I think every 2-3 days is a good pace.

Optional settling in the new ship JP this Friday @ 8pm EST (lasts 2 hours) - Just gonna speed up our characters exploring their new home by JPing some of it. If you can't make it, that's no problem because it's not going to be too story-relevant.

Also we still got lots of Yamatai to see but any suggestions for our first off-planet destination now that we are free to move about the universe?

No suggestions here! But this is making me think of putting the Castor manor up on the wiki somewhere. Might be a fun place to visit in a future thread, but not the next one!
(Plus it's an excuse to put Arvillael into more RP one-offs, which I've found to generally be pretty fun to do for her.)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back