• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Reward Member Activity With Points/Credits

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Bearing in mind some of the challenges Star Army faces:
  • A lot of the forum activity has moved to Discord, which, while I love Discord, Discord doesn't belong to us and visitors to the site can't see what's going on in there.
  • Need people to post RPs instead of lurking or spending their time arguing in OOC
  • Members should be rewarded for what they're doing now, not how long they've been around
  • We want people to participate in existing factions, but we want a way for new factions to grow organically too
This suggestion is to install some add-on (e.g. DragonByte Credits) that rewards members with credits for doing the stuff Star Army needs:
  • Participating on the forum
  • Posting in RP threads especially
  • Factions that need help (e.g. Nepleslia) can have bonus points
  • Providing the best answer to Q&A threads
  • Providing the best answer to Worldbuilding Wednesday
  • Helping out with the wiki
  • Anything positive that helps the community overall
What could points be used for: Setting limits on stuff we want to allow, but don't want to just freely give out all the time like
  • creating a new playable faction (basically there should be activity to be able to make one)
  • creating new playable species
  • art commissions paid for by the site
Basically when a new player joins and wants to create some new faction, this would change our answer from "no" to "yes, you can earn that by being active."

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I dont understand the need for a 'shadowbox' when we already have a section on every character page just for inventory.
I'm also vehemently opposed to buying things like ranks and awards for characters, those should only be earned.

>I dont understand the need for a 'shadowbox' when we already have a section on every character page just for inventory.

The idea is to separate the optional scarce stuff from everything else. There is basically no scarcity in SARP. So we create it artificially by designating a place that you have to earn having something in.

>I'm also vehemently opposed to buying things like ranks and awards for characters, those should only be earned.

I kinda agree with you here. I don't feel that we are that far apart, just a small shift in perspective. So let's take a specific example.

I don't have say the Battle of Glimmergold ribbon. The event has passed, but my character based on their history really could have been there. How can I earn it?

I'm betting you would say 'write something', I agree. That's why getting that ribbon in your shadowbox would be in essence 'write something about your character's experience at glimmergold'

Let's do a second one.

I want to advance from Santo Hei to Nito Hei. How should someone earn it?

Roleplay with others? I agree! That's why getting that boils down to, "have written about this character being a Santo Hei."

You want someone to have earned their rank by roleplaying. I applaud that. I would argue that having a shadowbox with requirements to get stuff in it would encourage roleplay rather than whatever it is you fear.

I don't think that it should be a straight 'I wrote x words so now I'm a Taisho.' Frankly, that would be a better system than the one where I went "Hey Andrew can I have the 7th?" "Sure" and so now I've got a Taisho. We should have requirements that they do stuff. See them rise through the ranks and having adventures on the way. That's what I think this will encourage.

I'm also a bit less on the automation train than Wes is.

>I'm betting you would say 'write something', I agree. That's why getting that ribbon in your shadowbox would be in essence 'write something about your character's experience at glimmergold'

>Roleplay with others? I agree! That's why getting that boils down to, "have written about this character being a Santo Hei."

Fundamentally, that's not what this suggestion is about though. It's about allowing players to earn SARP-currency by posting, and spending that currency on things. Within the context of this suggestion, I could buy a Glimmergold ribbon or a promotion regardless of the source of my SARPbux.

Had a server that did this once. The problem is you need to come up with a system to spend those points on, and then make that system balanced enough to entice someone to actually interact with it, but not so unbalanced that people of high activity get into absurd levels of power in two months. Usually it's more trouble than it's worth.

I’m cool with the idea as Wes originally presented it, which is forum currency to be used for OOC rewards. Getting a patch or an art commission is cool, as is unlocking the ability to create in-character elements like species, factions, and maybe corporations. I’d rather stick away from any player having the ability to buy accolades, skills, achievements, or any other sort of direct in-character reward using forum points.

SARP has a bit of a bloat issue when it comes to new species and factions. What's the point in working towards making a new one if you are just chucked into a sea of dozens of them and nobody ever shows any interest?

Art Commissions are a cool idea, though.

It looks like this idea of rewarding active players isn't popular, which sucks. I'm moving it to closed suggestions. Honestly it makes me wish we only let active members vote on these suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back