• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP Rising Lotus

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
RP Date
RP Location
Kyoto, Yamatai

Rising Lotus​

Imperial Palace (Basement) - Kyoto, Yamatai​

In the days long past of Yamatai, it was a generation of Nekovalkyrja that had held the line; a group of individuals that still had surviving members serving as Taisho and the upper echelons of the Star Army even now. Although the times had changed; politics, technology, social order, rights, and freedoms, war was still a reality. Imagining the thoughts that went through the digital minds of that generation was something that many wished they had an insight into. To know the things that shaped the strong like Irim and Yui, that bronzed the determination of women like Katsuko was interesting, and it is the stories of their feats that had helped bring pride to wearing the uniform of the Star Army. To be a member of that generation that had missed the last thirteen years of history, was even more interesting and that is probably why the basement of the Imperial Palace had been selected to give rebirth to Taisho Anzai Saya, former Taisho of the Third Fleet lost in the Second Mishhuvurthyar War - it was private and a comfortable place for an old mind to come to terms with the changes that had occurred during such a long absence.

Life and rebirth were a reality for their kind, in truth, it was almost purposeful in that it created an awkward sense of immortality that had the occasional difficult consequences attached to it. Some were interested in their lives before their end, and others seemed happy to pick up where they left off regardless of the gap between backup and restoration. Thirteen years though was a different beast altogether.

Saya had remained relatively quiet, the interest of doctors and medical staff waned as the first hours of life drained into the night. A cup of tea in her hands, a fresh lotus flower symbolizing rebirth poised in a thin vase of water beside the bed, the lost mind of her old Nekovalkyrja soul wandered through the archives and updates of PANTHEON to draw a picture in her mind of the time she had lost. Her thoughts performed circles, tantalized by a continuous and rapid flow of information - lost in the moment, renewing herself within the Kiky Sector's relentless march towards destiny. She had not even looked in the mirror yet, perfection and beauty were assured...the need to know of the Empire's progression was more important than vanity.

What will I be?

Last edited:
The law was absolute in the eyes of Saya; a Taisho without a fleet was not a Taisho. She kept her rank pin in one of her pockets. Her cold cerulean eyes stared at her image in the mirror, the last minor adjustment made, her light pink hair done up in a tight bun at the back, oriented to allow the formal hat to rest properly on her head. She shifted her pose and after a few minor brushes and tugs were satisfied with her appearance. The topic of retirement had come up a few times since she had started her new life; as far as she was concerned it was not even the cards. The Star Army was what she knew, and as far as she was concerned it was the only path - anything else was just a waste of who and what she was. She had caught up on history, civil and military matters and had analyzed the Battle of Glimmergold from beginning to end, it was important to understand how the war had changed, and who the war had changed.

It was finally time to find out what the next great adventure would be.

A few hours later​

Saya rode the lift up to Taisho Yui's Office and stopped at the Clerk's desk, "Anzia Saya, to see the Mistress Taisho, please." She stood rather than sat, hands behind her back as she scanned over the decor on the office walls and waited to be called.

Yui's Office

Ketsurui Star Fortress was a short shuttle ride from the capital below, and soon Anzai Saya found herself in Taisho Yui's expansive command office where Yui and a small team of liaisons, attendants, and secretaries swarmed about. Yui was seated at a big desk with a lot of computer screens with maps and lists of ships and missions, and looked mildly frustrated, although that expression changed to a warm smile once the long-lost Taisho arrived. "Come in!" Yui beckoned. She asked her caretaker to bring some warm green tea and gestured to a plush, comfortable chair in front of her desk. "Are you here to figure out what is next?"

Saya gave a genuine smile back to Yui, seeing her again sent a spark of enlightenment through her being; something was the same after all. She sat down in the chair, posture at perfect before her superior and mentor, "It is good to see you, " she said as she sat down as invited, "Absolutely, I'm looking forward to some new challenges, anything for the Empire." She accepted the cup of tea with a respectful nod, the bloom of the green tea was such a tranquil scent. "I've taken the time to catch up, I can't believe it's been thirteen years. I should have listened to all those briefings on the importance of regular backups." She took a brief sip of her tea and then looked at Yui, "How are you? How is the Star Army? I'm excited to get back out there..." she diverted back to the topic at hand.

"Honestly, I'm pissed off, peacetime is supposed to be relaxing but I find it feels more like a lack of direction. Given our history it only makes sense to think of this as a transitional period where we get to prepare for whatever new horror awaits us. We have lost a lot of good people just from things like retirement and time, not just the death tolls. The Star Army works best when it has the best and most experienced minds working together and right now it feels like we have a brain drain because all the the people who were waiting for the war's end to start the next chapters of their lives in the civilian world have done so at the same time because the war's end happened. Now the challenge is putting together a smaller, but highly effective military ready for the next challenge, and adapting it to the new concept, which is to combine this smaller standing military with immense growth capacity in the form of the new reserve. I know that's a lot but it's what's been on my mind and my agenda. And don't worry, we'll find a place for you."

Saya couldn't relate to the comment about the 'next chapter in civilian life', like most Nekovalkyrja in her generation the political changes seemed more like something on paper than something that actually applied to her life, she couldn't imagine a life outside of the Star Army and perhaps even resented the idea that such a thing was ever put into law. "If I may, I noticed that our enemy in the previous war has remaining forces in the Sector, perhaps after we finish mopping them up we should consider looking outside of the Kikyo Sector. We've long since had the means to go beyond what is becoming a very cramp region of space maybe it is something to consider?" she suggested, having reviewed a lot of the same data that she knew was on Yui's thoughts. "Either way, if a new more highly effective force is the goal, I look forward to whatever place you find for me...and don't worry, I don't even see retirement as something I could acquire a taste for. My place in the fight, anything else is a waste, " she said and then took another sip of her tea.

"Tell me more about what is on your mind, and until you find a permanent assignment for me - I'm here, and at your service," she said after a moment.

"The war has put an enormous strain on Yamatai," Yui told Saya, and even though it is over--for now--we are still recovering. The Star Army was pushed to its red lines and we spent most of the war outmatched and outnumbered and it was much closer of a match in the end than anyone should really be comfortable with. In other words, it could have been a catastrophe and it was only through outside intervention by the timely opportunity the Essai provided that we claimed victory because we were just about to be in a grinder. By that I mean a long, bloody statemate of a war that lasted years more and reduced anything we hold dear to a burnt shell of itself as both sides hit each other again and again in a war of attrition. So even though the parades marched in Kyoto and soldiers went home to their families, in my head I don't feel like we did well enough. And, this being the Kikyo Sector, I feel like it's only a matter of time before some new war breaks out that will test us again. We need to examine everything in the Star Army and see what works and what we need to update. It's an enormous task and the clock is ticking even if we cannot read the numbers."

Saya held a look of concern as Yui spoke; it further promoted her own confusion over the analysis she had performed on the data available. In comparison to the Second Mishhuvurthyar War, the Kuvexian Conflicts held a particular level of collateral damage that appeared to be a lot more difficult for the Empire to recover from. The involvement of a party outside of Yamatai bringing victory though caused Saya the most concern, "A hollow victory, I can understand why you feel that way. So we need to look at everything and transform the Star Army into an effective fighting machine before we get caught off guard. I read that there were residual Kuvexian forces in the sector, we could actually use that to our advantage..." Saya said thoughtfully, then continued, "We can use the scattered remaining forces to test new units, new equipment, literally field test new and more powerful versions of the Star Army to wipe them out." She smiled slightly at the thought of being part of modernizing and improving the Star Army, hopefully, her sister-at-arms felt her suggestion was worthy of consideration.

"Where we're at is trying to determine the scope of the mission. You can either build a space military on one of two factors: One is when you know what you're going to be up against, for example building a Star Army to beat Nepleslia's military, if they were our adversary. This would allow us to know what types of forces and capabilities we would need. I the opponent likes to use a certain tactic or ship you can build defenses to counter that tactic. But we don't exactly know what will come next. The second way is building generally, on what you have available in terms of resources, and just make your capabilities as large, comprehensive, and flexible as possible to fit a lot of potential situations. Essentially that's the position we find ourselves in, and the reason for our fleet situation with flexible task forces coming out of large fleets. If you'd like to take a rank reduction to Chujo that means you could get such a task force."

Saya thought carefully about what Yui had said, "If had not been you making it, I would of been offended at the suggestion of a rank reduction. I do admit though a lot has changed since my last assignment..." she took another sip of her tea and adjusted her posture a little. "Lets make this simple, I want to be where I can make the most difference. If you need me in a Task Force I will accept the change in rank, or if you need me somewhere else you can order it and I will go. Just don't put me out to pasture yet, I'm eager to get back to work and serve the Empire to which my heart belongs," she said, eyes locked on Yui on the other side of the desk. Saya wanted more than anything to not be some relic that represented anything in which the Star Army considered obsolete.

"We have an opening for a director position in PEARL, a section of Star Army Personnel Command. Would you be interested in running an organization who seeks out soldiers who are POWs, MIA, KIA, and so on and help bring them home to be reunited, respawned, or honorably buried? As someone who has been recently 'returned from the brink' I think you may appreciate this sort of thing. You would be working closely with Ketsurui Hanako."

Saya nodded and smiled, "That sounds right up my alley, might give me a chance to get more acquainted with changes. I'd be happy to seek out our lost and missing, I'm honored to accept such a position and a chance to work with Hanako. I read a lot about her, she's made you very proud I hope." She genuinely was interested in the activities of PEARL, having been one of those lost souls herself. "Just one thing, if in a few years I'm interested in going back into the field; is that something that can be considered?" she asked, not that she wanted it, she just wanted to make sure she wouldn't end up trapped at the same desk for the next two decades.

Months Later...​

PEARL Offices
Fort Minori, Nataria

PANT-IES compiled a list upon list of the missing, the dead, and the not forgotten soldiers that had yet to be recovered, it being peace-time and in the aftermath of war the lists were longer than normal and the ability to close cases was a challenge. Saya had not become desensitized to it, each case was serious in regard as she had once been among those names, Yui had given her a position that was tailored to that and ensured her productivity. Even with successes like those missing that had been located during the First Expeditionary Fleet's reclamation of the Jun System, it just made Saya want to accomplish more.

The Taisho leaned against the frame of the window that looked out towards the towering pines, a cup of coffee braced in her grip. The view was part of the perks, probably only second to the view from Hanako's office. Saya sipped at the dark, bitter, 'untainted coffee' as she called it - she was never a fan of cream or sugar. She had come up with an idea that she had planned to send to Hanako, a proposal that would give PEARL a more intricate toolkit and hopefully accelerate their current open cases.

"Begin, Composition of Outgoing Communication..." she instructed the AI as she pulled herself from the window frame and settled into the high-back command-style chair behind the desk.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back