• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[Approved Submission] S6-RCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Pine

Dropping in a big boy of a weapon. Don't have any heavy weapons, and I need more for vehicles. So here ya go, a chaingun available in multiple calibers.

Good day sir, I am also known as Checklist.

[ ✔️ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ❌ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
  1. Oof. Those tables. Is it possible to reformat them so that the Discharge Information looks cleaner? Something like the image below.
  2. Speaking of tables can you please calm down on the sheer amount of tables on this page? Please. Just use the bullet points followed by bold text for title/topic followed by normal text describing. Less is more.
1539549348376.png
[ ❌ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
  1. I don't know but I'm pretty sure that this amount of tables is a little excessive.
  2. Longer name, hopefully? Maybe an in-development name?
  3. Please make your images smaller and put them side by side.
[ ✔️ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
  1. I've fixed this for you.
[ ✔️ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔️ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✔️ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔️ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✔️ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✔️ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:

1. Uh, listed. I'll actually just do another pass of grammar once the formatting is better.

When these fixes are made, please post a reply here so I can re-check the article. Thank you!

I'd say personally, I like the tables in some places, like for ammo prices and damage quickcharts, but the way they're formatted in sections like discharge information and weapon mechanisms makes the article harder for me to read. I'd suggest keeping the weapon mechanisms section in the normally required format and changing some of the subheaders in the discharge information section back to normal headers.

I think personally, I'd find it a lot easier to read if the muzzle flash, retort, Projectile/Beam Appearance, effective range, rate of fire, and recoil subheaders were made normal headers outside of the tables, in order to better split it up so that the whole thing doesn't look like one giant table.

An example for the discharge information area would look kind of like this, with proper header marking using the "=" sign :
Discharge information
Muzzle flash
"This section describes the muzzle flashes of different types of ammo"

Table

All of these suggestions are based off of a conversation I had over Discord with Jack.

I have reformatted the textual information at Alex's request in the suggested manner, and have resized the images in description, but can not get them to be side by side. I however don't think the name need to be changed as it's only defining quality is being available in multiple calibers.

Well. At least the tables are slightly more readable now. But still.

Please STOP USING SO MANY TABLES. IN EXCESS THEY DO NOT LOOK GOOD. The tables make the page look very unappealing. There's simply too many and it breaks up the flow of the page due to the fact that each table ends up being just a glorified T-chart. In fact I think this is what the "prose" line really talks about in the style guideline: To prevent excessive use of tables which really break up a page's look and makes it look too choppy.

I also dunno why you're so against making names that humans can memorize easier. There's a reason streets have names instead of serial codes.

But whatever. Maybe that's my practical engineering side speaking.

[ ✔️ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✔️ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ❌ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
  1. 7.8/10 Too many table
[ ✔️ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✔️ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔️ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✔️ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔️ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✔️ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✔️ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Bulleted lists exist. You could also put all that information in their own ammunition sub-articles simply to reduce page clutter.

Then why is it a section on the template? I am only organizing the information asked for in the template in a manner that works. If it is not a necessary section, then why have it on there? If it's already present on the ammo article.

Because:
  1. Normally we don't present it as a table because tables contain important statistical details most of the time
  2. It reduces page clutter and length. Long pages don't look good unless every bit of the page matters.

Most pages also don't have multiple characteristics/traits on how the item behaves either. And most people don't do pages on an item with complex parts like this. It has many variations, and having those in a list would be messy, and require each to be its own section. This would make the pages much more larger. My method organizes it, and keep the page from being almost doubled in length.

And the ones that do have even a tenth of the sheer complexity of your page use subarticles. Not only that but variants are even posted on different submissions. I should actually be telling you to split this submission into each general variation type and telling you to resubmit. Your point?

Because that would just be a ton of copy pastaed pages, and therefore a bunch of more pages for you to approve. Which effective increases your work load, and makes more pointless work for me as well. All when it can be put in one article, and just have the variations organized.

If youre looking for a few more tables to cut out, muzzel flash, projectile appearance and retort can all be made into lists easily as they have only two variables, realistically you can do this with any table if it has an item and an explanation

Hope that helps

Club has a good explanation. And I really don't care about increased work load, I care about the end result more. Quality control.

Have done what club24 suggested, and switched the tables for those three sections to independent sections and as lists.

Still too many tables.

Okay. Here's what I want you to do.

Remove every single table except for the Ammunition pricing.

Express attachment prices in only KS.

Now your telling me how I should write my articles? I have already done what you wanted in the first place and cut down on the tables. What is left is needed, and no I will not remove DA as a listed price, or Arckmarks. We deal in all three currencies and therefore are all needed. In addition all damage tables are needed. What your asking is for me is to not list numerical information properly. Was it not you who said that tables are for numerical data values, and now you want me to remove them. I believe those tables should stay.

Im sort of with jack now, i think the effective range table can definitely be removed and the rate of fire table but the rest all have several values assigned as he said, and while its more tables than some articles it's still only a few. If you wanna see a page thats all table go look at the gh corp article lol

Damage can simply be listed as bulleted lists.

You use way too many tables. It breaks the page up too much and makes it look ugly.

@club24 I'm a big believer in having things be concise and tucked together as much as possible. Tables space things out too much and add too much artifical scrollbar to each page. I'd request keeping the amount of tables used to as little as possible.

It's ok if you need all the pricing tables. Remove all other tables, then. I want you to deal with not using a table for once to express information, since it's become almost a bad habit at this point.

Your so far the only reviewer who believes that, as I've even had others encourage it. Therefore I view that as a personal preference. I believe the tables I have left are needed, and I prefer using tables. Also a bulleted list for damage is done for separate weapons on vehicle and other craft. I've already removed the effective range table. But as I keep stating, I feel the other tables are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back