• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [SAINT] SIFT - Special Intelligence Fire Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ametheliana

Head in the Stars
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Submission RP Example
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wip:stararmy:special_intelligence_fire_team
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=stararmy:special_intelligence_fire_team
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
This is not the hill I'll die on but it is the hill I'll see an AEGIS team evacing me off of.

Notes:
-The sub-sections under "Roles" are pulled from the pre-existing special forces guide, albeit with some modifications for accuracy. There isn't a better way to say what they are and seeing as this is primarily a name change and historical article, I hope that can be accepted as still ending the 18 under par.

-RP examples linked in the wiki page itself

-After linking the Nataria RP, I should probably request a blood medallion for Hoshi's boyfriend : P

-Enjoy

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I will take the reviewer assignment. This one is going to take a little time for me to go over. Reviewer Assigned.

To @Yuuki and @Wes for the FM stamp.

Why is this article so NICE? It's got so much lore in it! I'm very impressed and I can say without a doubt that it's nicer than the "just the essentials" article I was going to write. So let me give you an enthusiastic and huge THANK YOU for taking your time to write this up.

FM Approved

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and the article template. Is all the information for struct present?
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki-style guidelines, including No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels.
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and credited in the OOC section.
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Approved.

Apparently the question I had was answered in Discord.

What is the difference between SOFT and SIFT?

>
> SDF and Aegis are moving back to SAINT,
> some may have never finished moving to SASO during the year
> Basically everything else SF (SOFTs, TANTO, etc) will be SASO.
> Eth and I will try to include SASO in plotships or get it a plot
> SOFTs:
> Star Army Command will not have SOFTs, they'll use SASO.
> SAINT will have some SIFTS, which are basically intel-focused SOFTs for SAINT (bust in and get info).
> These can hang out on intel focused ships or maybe deep/long-range exploration ships
> Regular SOFTs will be SASO.
> These can hang out on combat-focused ships or ships in dangerous areas of the galaxy

Apparently the question I had was answered in Discord.

What is the difference between SOFT and SIFT?

>
> SDF and Aegis are moving back to SAINT,
> some may have never finished moving to SASO during the year
> Basically everything else SF (SOFTs, TANTO, etc) will be SASO.
> Eth and I will try to include SASO in plotships or get it a plot
> SOFTs:
> Star Army Command will not have SOFTs, they'll use SASO.
> SAINT will have some SIFTS, which are basically intel-focused SOFTs for SAINT (bust in and get info).
> These can hang out on intel focused ships or maybe deep/long-range exploration ships
> Regular SOFTs will be SASO.
> These can hang out on combat-focused ships or ships in dangerous areas of the galaxy
Should put that in the Questions and Answers forum so it can be found again!

I think this was approved quite quickly and I didn't get a heads up or chance to read, there's some things I'd like to mention.

• SOFT teams would be more inclined to direct combat than SIFT teams. I think we clarified that in our understanding - SIFTs are intel focused while SOFTs are combat focused. SIFT wouldn't on average outpace a SOFT team in frontal attack. The article seems to suggest otherwise to me when I read it.
  • "By-and-large, these clandestine warriors operated individually as one-man armies" - This seems quite strong in terms of language. I still don't see how a 24 week intelligence course makes people able to face down whole stations alone when other soldiers supposedly can't, at least to the point of earning a reputation of commonly being able to do that.
  • "Both units would become Yamatai's most elite combat operations units" - This isn't technically true. TANTOs have higher requirements, making them more 'elite' if we're going by the definition of that word. SIFTs are definitely 2nd/3rd (I'd say joint 2nd) though.
  • "Otherwise unsuitable for conventional forces like SASO to accomplish" - SASO is the opposite of conventional, although it is true that exclusively in the intelligence gathering space, SASO isn't close to SAINT and doesn't try to be. In all other areas, SASO would at least be on par with SAINT.
  • "SIFTs commonly make use of any item" - Other than things like the Shibui of course, because that was never going to leave testing I believe, given that was the answer when I enquired about it in the past. Unless we're allowed to dip into unfinished SARA projects now. I imagine they have the same access to equipment as other SFs though, given the OOC ruling that SAOY equipment can't be restricted to only one corps or smaller anymore.

Other than these points, it looks good to me.

The way I read it, I think that "One-man armies" might have been poor wording. I'm given the impression that it more means "One-man cells" doing spying and sabotage, given the intelligence focused nature of a SIFT. Otherwise, I do think that these points deserve calm and polite discussion OOC without any kind of shade throwing. Better to have these discussions now before any unhappiness boils under the surface.

The other party is not really interested in responding and I've said they don't have to if they're not comfortable talking with you. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back