• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

[SAINT]SIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizunoyoroko

Inactive Member
Okay this isn't up for submission, it's a concept I have. I read the wiki about PANTHEON, and I'm not too sure it's something SAINT would use as their backbone. It's a major security risk, especially when you consider that PANTHEON is accessible anonymously. Anonymous access to any resource that is used by SAINT is very...unwise. Furthermore, you would want to limit exactly who could access resources and information in use by SAINT, which PANTHEON does not. So ladies and gents, I present my idea

SAINT
Internal
Network

A completely separate network from PANTHEON. It is capable of interfacing with PANTHEON though not directly (as it is a closed network), this could be done through the use of datapads. A connection could not be made to both networks at once, thus making it more secure. Furthermore, no authentication (or bad authentication) no connection. To be honest the idea is fairly rudimentry in my head right now, I just want your guys' opinions.

Actually PANTHEON could be somewhat compared to the internet. Sure their is plent of "Anonymous" access. But that isn't the only level of access. One could theorize that there are other levels of access in the PANTHEON that require authentication. After all one would not expect that military ships would be transferring sensitive data across PANTHEON without some form of authentication, and or encryption.

That is true, but I am pretty sure that the DoD user its own internal network for security purposes, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the CIA had one as well.

Makes me think of the IPG.SecureNET. It makes sense for agencies like the IPG and SAINT to have their own secure networks due to the more sensitive nature of their operations.

In the US military there is the NIPRnet (the Internet) and the SIPRnet (the military's internet). N is for Nonsecure and S is for Secure. The difference is that all traffic on the SIPR is encrypted. All mission-related activity is exclusively done on the SIPR, but all command centers have both terminals. A computer can only be used for one network or the other, and once a computer is hooked up to SIPR it can never again be used for NIPR.

Just because PANTHEON carries civilian traffic doesn't make its military traffic on PANTHEON-M insecure. Civilians can't decode or view SACN stuff.

Wes said:
In the US military there is the NIPRnet (the Internet) and the SIPRnet (the military's internet). N is for Nonsecure and S is for Secure. The difference is that all traffic on the SIPR is encrypted. All mission-related activity is exclusively done on the SIPR, but all command centers have both terminals. A computer can only be used for one network or the other, and once a computer is hooked up to SIPR it can never again be used for NIPR.

From my understanding of the wiki article though, there is no such distinction in PANTHEON.

Wiki said:
PANTHEON, the Projected-Access Nodal Transuniversal Heuristic Electronic Operations Network, is a massive, multi-tiered system of networked artificial intelligences and subsystems (each collectively known as a node). It is the backbone of all Yamataian communications and intelligence; running everything from starship main cannons to automated farmland. The system allows authenticated or anonymous use to any person or computer (even enemies of Yamatai (Planet)) and could be compared to a deity-like version of today's Internet.

From this I come to understand that there is only 1 system, PANTHEON, and both military and civilian equipment run on it. Allowing anonymous access to that would be...dangerous. Which is why I suggested a separate system (actually the method that you explained wes is exactly what I was thinking of). Now you've just mentioned PANTHEON-M and SACN which I've never heard of and can't seem to find anywhere in the wiki, so what exactly are they and what kind of relationship do they have with PANTHEON?

Also, I think PANTHEON-M means PANTHEON-Military, let me make a (joking) recommendation. MANTHEON! (Military-Access Nodal Transuniversal Heuristic Electronic Operations Network) Again, joking. Though perhaps it could become something of a joke when PCs refer to it.

elaboration: Allowing anonymous access to PANTHEON if it did both (as the wiki article indicates it does), would be dangerous because of foreign intelligence agencies. If they can access it (or heck if civilians can), they could eventually figure out how to decrypt it and be able to eventually control things such as ship cannons (again as indicated by wiki).

There is no real danger in anonymous access if the person doing the access cannot read secure military transmissions. It's been proven in the past that PANTHEON is off-limits to hackers anyway.

raz said:
There is no real danger in anonymous access if the person doing the access cannot read secure military transmissions. It's been proven in the past that PANTHEON is off-limits to hackers anyway.

Actually that's not true. It's been hacked in the past by the IPG. One of the characters aboard the Miharu, Nyton Claymere, had his information hacked into by the IPG. Also was hacked in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1028 .

When I said "off-limits" I meant "off-limits to hack stuff that actually matters."

raz said:
When I said "off-limits" I meant "off-limits to hack stuff that actually matters."

Done it, seen it done. Mishhu, Black Spiral, and more besides. No matter how flawless you try to make a computer system, there is always a way into it if you're a hacker. It doesn't matter if you have the grand master uber computer of the universe, there is, and will always be a way all it takes is some imagination, and ingenuity. Plain and simple since systems have been hacked that have been previously dubbed 'Unhackable' or, 'Hard to Hack' Irl. And saying one isn't on here is pretty much getting into the bad mojo area. Sure, it can be hard, really hard to hack, but impossible?

I'm not going to quote anything from the GM forum, but Wes made it pretty clear that PANTHEON is off-limits for hacking. See the "The 'Spacer Affairs" thread to see policy on hacking high-level (read: stuff that matters) PANTHEON systems.

One of the new PSP's were really hard to hack, and was virtually unhackable for a few months, but it was cracked, though with a runabout fashion.

It is also good to remember players are typically "Not ordinary people" but are "exceptional people." Still understandable that not just any player could hack into it, but instead a plot duex ex that allows it for specific events.

Virtually, one could only be unhackable if the version of it changed, or patched, every day. Though I'm no hacker, I'd assume a new version means a new change in the programming code and therefore, original hacks cease to work.

Additionally, this is assuming PANTHEON is only accessible by one browser (being an Empire, it probably is) and therefore would need to be checked as well.

One can't really hack the internet itself, only the computers that connect to it right? It's like trying to hack reality if that was the case (Aka, sorcery).

Scot said:
One can't really hack the internet itself, only the computers that connect to it right? It's like trying to hack reality if that was the case (Aka, sorcery).

I h4x joo, son!

(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back