• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Salutations, Star Army!!

Zemurray

Inactive Member
Hello all! After years of playing tabletop roleplaying games in person, I've decided to take the plunge and enter the Star Army community as my first experience with online roleplaying! The fact that I love science fiction settings helps too 😃.
I go by Zemurray (props if you can figure out the username's namesake), and I am excited to be here. I found the community through TVtropes, but I decided to join only after a few days of wikiwalking through the expansive Star Army wiki. The unique setting combined with the friendly community of Star Army caused me to choose this site. This is my very first experience with online roleplaying, but as said before, I've always loved roleplaying games. I remember my exploits in Dungeons and Dragons 5E fondly, like the time my party killed Vampire Count Strahd🧛‍♂️ by summoning 8 giant owls and a mob of barbarians in the same turn, which basically gang-stomped the ancient undead. Anyways, back to the questions!
Do you prefer:
  • Playing male, female, or other-gendered characters?
I will most likely play male/ male pronoun characters, but I am up for playing a female character if needed.
  • Spontaneous or planned RP?
Either
  • Military or civilian characters?
Either
  • Humans, androids, anthros, or aliens?
Humans, androids, and aliens are fine.
  • Being on a starship or being on a planet?
Either would work for me.
  • Roleplay via forum posts or in real-time?
Because of my schedule, I'm fairly sure that replying via forum posts would be my best option, but I'd love to do real-time roleplaying if able to.
I would put language above violence and sexuality for my priorities, but again, I'm good with any amount of the three depending on the circumstances of the plot.
I am looking forward to creating a Freespacer, specifically a non-humanoid automata of alien origin. Of the setting factions that I learned about while looking through the wiki, I found the post-humanist Freespacers especially interesting. Because this is my first character here, I would like to ask the creator of the Freespacer faction, Primitive Polygon, to be my Mentor. I'm not exactly sure what the best way to contact them, so any tips on that would be helpful. Thank you, and have a great day (or night, wherever you are)!
Zemurray

@Primitive Polygon sure loves it when people are interested in Freespacers. Do you have a discord username I can send to them? Mine is Ametheliana#8571. I can try to get you guys in touch, but they may respond here, too!

Honestly bud, starting as a Nekovalkyrja or a Minkan is going to work the best. They have the most established backstories, and thus the less ammount of hassle when creating a new character. Neko are "tank bred" like the clones from Star Wars. When you create a Neko, she's going to have the easiest backstory, thus easier to "enter" into the setting. Same as a Minkan.

Not to mention that they're a part of a well established faction that sees much roleplay on a daily/weekly basis

I agree thst they are easy but i think its cool that new players are interested in other factions and species too

Welcome to Star Army.

The Banana Man?
I thought so too.
Props to you both! The Fish That Ate the Whale by Rich Cohen is one of my favorite books, great read if anyone is interested in both the American Dream (and how it can go wrong) and Latin American history.
Thanks for the quick replies! Ametheliana, my Discord is Zemurray, I'd be glad if you can get me in contact with them. And Blizzard, thanks for the tip! I am aware that the Nekos and other Yamatians could be an easier start, but I kind of want to try out the Freespacers first because I already have some thoughts on my character. I will keep the Yamatians as a backup though. As for the question of plots, I'm open to the majority of the plots currently running. I do still need some time to work out the details of my character, but if anyone wants to try to sell me on their plot in this thread, I'd be down for it.

Do you like helping to build a new world, future, and a life to look forward to? The New Dusk Conclave is a new beginning in the largely unexplored north eastern sector of the star map. Scientist, soldiers, and citizens, they are open to all. It's a world of diverse population, and mixing of cultures. AI, organics, and weird aliens welcome. New scientific discoveries, and ever growing hostile odds, with dealing with the local wildlife to boot. In fact, they are located due southeast of spacer territory.

Now that I have shamelessly adverted, hi I'm Jack Pine, one of the staff members here. I am the faction manager of the New Dusk Conclave(listed as Section 6 on the forum), and a GM of four plots here on the site. ranging from adverted above, to zany university life on a new planet, and firefly style plot of a crew of misfits doing morally grey things to make their next paycheck without getting shot.

I don't really have any plots to shamelessly advertise about, so I guess I'll just introduce myself as the resident mecha-nerd. If you ever feel like doing anything involving mecha, hit me up and I can help you figure something out.

I have two plots a spacer could join, both of which are exploration focused, one is for my company Galactic Horizon who’s equipment I absolutely recommend for your robro ;3 and the other is a nepleslian merc gang called crew 32

Hey there Zemurray!

Cool to hear that you are willing to go for the gold with a really 'out there' character right off the bat! Having interest in a transhumanist spacer character certainly means you are looking for quite a specific type of roleplay, though.

Me and some of my confidants are actually in the middle of deciding if we should take the race in a new direction, which unfortunately means that there isn't a plot open *right this second*. But I'm still totally cool with hearing your ideas, which means the plot could be even more tailored towards what you are looking for. If you've read the existing lore, I think that's a fair deal.

Feel free to contact me on discord as Lavalung#8054 if you are still interested. ;I

Thanks for the plots everyone! I'll keep them in mind for when my character is ready.
And hello Primitive Polygon! A lot of why I'm looking into Freespacers is because of your great writing on the wiki, so its really cool that you're offering to hear out my ideas! I'd be glad to contact you. Look out for some messages on Discord hopefully tonight.

Is your name from the famous banana trader Zemurray?

Hey Ametheliana! Yes, the name is from that man, I strongly recommend his biography by Rich Cohen, The Fish That Ate the Whale. It is a great account of an incredibly complex man.
In other news, I'm about 75% done with writing my Spacer character, which I have collaborated with Primitive quite a bit on. I've also done a bit of forum diving and read the Skeleton Ensemble plot from back in 2016-17, great RPing there. Any other recommended reads to sift through?

I guess to know what to recommend I'd have to know what you enjoyed about Skeleton Ensemble and what you look for in a good read!

Glad I guessed right! The fan art of him is pretty cool because bananas are just cool looking to begin with!

I really enjoyed seeing how, in the introduction thread, everyone's traits and little quirks were evidenced and really good impressions were made.
Also, what fan-art are you referring to? I've never seen any fan-art of Samuel Zemurray, this intrigues me.

Just remember that Freespacers can also punch people from inside boxing rings in Nepleslia.

Or be Nepleslian.

Freeneppers are a totally 100% niche subsect. But it's good to see new players interested in Freespacers and working with Primitive to make authentic ones, regardless of whether they're the free-ranging variety or the more society-interacting ones. Looking forward to seeing whatever you do, new guy.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back